• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A day without stupid?

I broke up a bar fight a few months ago.... had to throw someone down and hold them for the cops... he attacked a waitress that was just trying to see if he was OK (he was sleeping under a table). He broke her finger and sent her to the hospital with bruises on her face. I broke a finger and badly strained another in the encounter... but he was safely detained. I prevented two people from stomping him to death, under threat of arrest. I prevented him from leaving the scene, under threat of letting them.
My reaction was instinctual. I was with my wife and she just suddenly said, "That man is hitting her!!"... and I just reacted. There were maybe 100 people there at the time. A grand total of 3 left their seats, including me. Those other two just wanted someone to hit. It took a couple of days for me to realize I had hurt myself getting into the grapple. I didn't even connect the pain in my fingers that took a day or two to become apparent with the incident at first.

The waitress is fine now. And that guy had priors and is currently in jail for up to 5 years on multiple charges, past and present.

It's a personality thing... you are either the type of person to get involved in things without over-thinking your own safety, or you are not.

Some will say I am an idiot... like my wife, and some will say I just did the right thing... My point is only that participation is not usually a conscious decision... Security is not about arming everyone... just the right people.

I broke up a bar fight a few months ago.... had to throw someone down and hold them for the cops... he attacked a waitress that was just trying to see if he was OK (he was sleeping under a table). He broke her finger and sent her to the hospital with bruises on her face. I broke a finger and badly strained another in the encounter... but he was safely detained. I prevented two people from stomping him to death, under threat of arrest. I prevented him from leaving the scene, under threat of letting them.
My reaction was instinctual. I was with my wife and she just suddenly said, "That man is hitting her!!"... and I just reacted. There were maybe 100 people there at the time. A grand total of 3 left their seats, including me. Those other two just wanted someone to hit. It took a couple of days for me to realize I had hurt myself getting into the grapple. I didn't even connect the pain in my fingers that took a day or two to become apparent with the incident at first.

The waitress is fine now. And that guy had priors and is currently in jail for up to 5 years on multiple charges, past and present.

It's a personality thing... you are either the type of person to get involved in things without over-thinking your own safety, or you are not.

Some will say I am an idiot... like my wife, and some will say I just did the right thing... My point is only that participation is not usually a conscious decision... Security is not about arming everyone... just the right people.

It's amazing what we can/will do when a situation is urgent and dangerous enough. I don't know what I would have done - guess it depends whether it was enough of an adrenaline jolt to make me move. It CERTAINLY wouldn't be a matter I'd consider and then decide to get involved in.
I once put myself between two large dogs tearing each other to bits - something I'd never ask another person to do. But just... reacting, as you say. Somehow in those situations, you really do become superhuman; I can't imagine myself throwing a 100lb German Shepherd 6 feet to the backhand with my non-dominant arm, but I did that, and fended off its owner with the other hand at the same time. Then picked up my girlfriend's 80lb lab and screamed at the GS owner to grab his dog or I'd kill it. (He did, even though he was terrified)
Pain set in a couple of days later.

Participation in situations like what you found yourself in is not a conscious decision, as you observe. But your reflexive decision is a true reflection of character. Yeah, you could have been killed, but you weren't. And you're better off now than if you had done nothing - that's what counts no matter who judges you or how.

Trump claimed that he would have run into the high school even unarmed to stop the shooter.

Stupidity at this level defies any further comment.

Too bad he wasn't there.

- - - Updated - - -

he would have run into the high school even unarmed...
And done what?

Comments on the link I gave suggest that he would either say "You're fired" or would offer him a top administration position.

Yup. Tell the gun "You're fired!" and it would quit working.

Cheer up USA. We now have our own, Made in Canada, clown. Our Prime Minister.

Used his trip to India as a fancy dress party for himself and his family. Wife posed for selfie with terrorist convicted of assassination attempt in the 1980's of Indian cabinet minister. Billed as State Visit before the trip but India's President omitted to meet him till his last day or so there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...aus-india-trip-got-a-little-weird_a_23372337/

(Rick Mercer is a Canadian comic, born in Newfoundland.)

Cheer up USA. We now have our own, Made in Canada, clown. Our Prime Minister.

Used his trip to India as a fancy dress party for himself and his family. Wife posed for selfie with terrorist convicted of assassination attempt in the 1980's of Indian cabinet minister. Billed as State Visit before the trip but India's President omitted to meet him till his last day or so there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...aus-india-trip-got-a-little-weird_a_23372337/

(Rick Mercer is a Canadian comic, born in Newfoundland.)

Ah Canada. I wish we had your problems.

Donald Trump said:
The police saw that he was a problem, they didn’t take any guns away. Now that could have been policing, but they should have taken them away anyway, whether they had the right or not.
link

Donnie seems to think that the Police can act like the boss.

Donald Trump said:
The police saw that he was a problem, they didn’t take any guns away. Now that could have been policing, but they should have taken them away anyway, whether they had the right or not.
link

If anything should be making gun-nuts hug their AR-15's in fear, it's Trump's constant authoritarian rhetoric... but they worship this narcissistic dimwit

If anything should be making gun-nuts hug their AR-15's in fear, it's Trump's constant authoritarian rhetoric... but they worship this narcissistic dimwit
But they (Gun Nuts, or, as I like to call them, my coworkers) know that THEIR president would only take guns away from BAD people.
They worry about LEFTIST administrations taking guns away from good people, just because they want to take guns. Trump, they're sure (and will tell me), will only do GOOD with gun seizures. By seizing criminals' guns, not responsible citizens' guns.

That's what this country really needs. The NRA in charge of gun grabbing...

Trump wants the police to grab the guns of people that haven't committed crimes yet. He'll learn soon that the only way to get the guns is for him to go door to door, just like Obama and Clinton did.

In Trump's very limited defense, as the article notes, Trump campaigned on this crap... and won in good part because of it.

Back
Top Bottom