• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And now the totally expected Trans Bathroom laws result

Everybody's a they until they themselves say otherwise.
And you have extraordinary evidence for this extraordinary claim, based on extensive observation of common use through the majority of the Anglophone speech community, have you?
Well, neither the claim nor the evidence are extraordinary, but yes, I do.

I don't particularly like it; It often confuses me when people use "they" for the third person singular, because I grew up with it as an exclusively plural pronoun.

But it's become so ubiquitous that I have had to accept that the language has moved on without me; And I am choosing to try to keep up, rather than rage against the rising tide.

Perhaps you live in a dialectical backwater where this usage is still fairly rare. But in most English speaking areas, it's become the common practice, and thereby become "correct English".

It is certainly conceivable that the woman initially addressed Ruiz politely, and Ruiz's response might have been less than courteous, leading to the unfortunate escalation into violence.
The women did not engage in any violence, nor is there any indication that she approved of the violence that was committed by three men who were NOT in the bathroom in the first place!

Don't blame women for the violence perpetrated by men.

Please read my post again as well as consider the context that it is written under. No where in that comment or on this thread have I blamed the woman for the beat- em-up boys.
Maybe you could explain it like I'm foreign, you know, using a whole lot of little words so I can follow. Because even after rereading it... I don't see how Ruiz being "less than courteous" to the woman in the restroom causes an escalation of three other men into violence.

Maybe you're very subtly insinuating that Ruiz physically attacked the woman, and that the three men outside the restroom could actually see Ruiz attacking her? That's about the only situation in which I can see Ruiz's interaction with a woman inside the women's restroom "escalating" to violence perpetrated by three men outside the women's restroom.

Wow. I'm not interested in manufactured conversations. I pass.

When you use a possibility as a rationale, it functions as the a supposition.

You're still making up stuff.

I keep pointing out that nobody knows what happened. People keep making up stuff to fill in the unavailable information that suits their agenda.
I'm trying not to do that.
Tom
As far as I can tell, Ruiz’s point of view is the only one reflected in the news accounts. I’ve read multiple news accounts and Ruiz is who is quoted, as well as his mom, who was not present during the incident. I have read no interview with the woman and as far as I know, the mean who beat Ruiz have not been identified. We all have to guess st their motivation. I did so in my first post when I assumed they thought they were responding to a woman in distress. But honestly we don’t know. They could have been anti-trans, hated Ruiz fir undisclosed reasons or simply were drunk and looking for a fight where the three of them would prevail.

Ruiz does not blame the woman for the three men jumping him. That would be men in this thread.

Wow. I'm not interested in manufactured conversations. I pass.
That's what this whole thread is.
Tom

Not entirely. Some have made valid points (including Emily).

Edit: For example the woman was indeed not responsible for the beat-em-up boys. Why Emily believes I think the woman is is beyond me. :ROFLMAO:

When you use a possibility as a rationale, it functions as the a supposition.

You're still making up stuff.

I keep pointing out that nobody knows what happened. People keep making up stuff to fill in the unavailable information that suits their agenda.
I'm trying not to do that.
Tom
Of course you are. You keep bringing up that Ruiz was drunk and disorderly. We don’t know that for sure.

As far as I can tell, Ruiz’s point of view is the only one reflected in the news accounts. I’ve read multiple news accounts and Ruiz is who is quoted, as well as his mom, who was not present during the incident.
This has been my point throughout this thread.

Assigning blame to people you know nothing about, in murky circumstances, based on one person's assertions, is stupid and counterproductive.
Tom

Ruiz does not blame the woman for the three men jumping him. That would be men in this thread.

Who exactly are these men you're referring to? This accusation has left me utterly perplexed. Frankly, I've been anticipating someone to attribute the violence to parties other than the actual perpetrators, but such expectation has yet to be met. This thread is riddled with speculative conjectures and discussions that veer into the realm of fantasy. It appears these hypothetical scenarios are being interpreted as personal beliefs rather than the speculative derivatives of previous comments that they truly are.

Of course you are. You keep bringing up that Ruiz was drunk and disorderly. We don’t know that for sure.
We don't know that there was anyone in the bathroom.

But his own mom, in the tiny shred of evidence available, said he was.
According to their story, that's what Ruiz was arrested for. Not indecent exposure or anything, but for his behavior outside the bathroom after that cops got there.

Tom

Stop making things up.
Like what?

I keep pointing out that nobody here knows what actually happened. I'm pointing out that the stuff yall are making up, like Ruiz dindonuffin, isn't supported by what little evidence that there is.
Tom

We don't know that there was anyone in the bathroom.

But his own mom, in the tiny shred of evidence available, said he was.
According to their story, that's what Ruiz was arrested for. Not indecent exposure or anything, but for his behavior outside the bathroom after that cops got there.

Tom
Sorry, she could be mistaken or lying. According to you, we don’t know all the facts, so if you actually believed what you post, you are simply revealing your ideological biases with every post on the subject

Stop making things up.
Like what?

I keep pointing out that nobody here knows what actually happened. I'm pointing out that the stuff yall are making up, like Ruiz dindonuffin, isn't supported by what little evidence that there is.
Tom
I never said Ruiz did not do nothing. Again, stop making stuff up.

Who exactly are these men you're referring to? This accusation has left me utterly perplexed. Frankly, I've been anticipating someone to attribute the violence to parties other than the actual perpetrators, but such expectation has yet to be met. This thread is riddled with speculative conjectures and discussions that veer into the realm of fantasy. It appears these hypothetical scenarios are being interpreted as personal beliefs rather than the speculative derivatives of previous comments that they truly are.
There are a lot of posters in this thread who blame the startled woman in the bathroom for the violence that happened.

According to you, we don’t know all the facts, so if you actually believed what you post, you are simply revealing your ideological biases with every post on the subject

WTF?
I keep pointing out that nobody knows what really happened, almost a year ago in a campground in Ohio. All anyone here has to go on is claims made by Ruiz.

That's what I believe.
Give me a reason to think I'm wrong.
Tom

According to you, we don’t know all the facts, so if you actually believed what you post, you are simply revealing your ideological biases with every post on the subject

WTF?
I keep pointing out that nobody knows what really happened, almost a year ago in a campground in Ohio. All anyone here has to go on is claims made by Ruiz.

That's what I believe.
Give me a reason to think I'm wrong.
Tom
If all anyone has to go one are Ruiz’s claims, why allege people are following their ideological biases by going on his claims?

If all anyone has to go one are Ruiz’s claims, why allege people are following their ideological biases by going on his claims?

Because that's what is going on.

People are inventing stuff to fill in the huge holes in the information to suit their agenda. His claims are weak, at best, but that doesn't stop people from making assertions based on them.

When I point out that there are other plausible explanations for the tiny amount of information available people get upset.
Tom

Because that's what is going on.

People are inventing stuff to fill in the huge holes in the information to suit their agenda. His claims are weak, at best, but that doesn't stop people from making assertions based on them.

When I point out that there are other plausible explanations for the tiny amount of information available people get upset.
Tom
You mean you get to invent stuff(what you consider as plausible explanations) that suits your agenda to fill in the gaps, but others do not. And it is ok for you get to be upset when others find your “plausible explanations” implausible, but it is not ok for others.

You mean you get to invent stuff(what you consider as plausible explanations) that suits your agenda to fill in the gaps, but others do not. And it is ok for you get to be upset when others find your “plausible explanations” implausible, but it is not ok for others.

No.
I can point out that the claims made aren't supported by much evidence, and that other explanations are plausible.

That's it.
Tom

No.
I can point out that the claims made aren't supported by much evidence, and that other explanations are plausible.

That's it.
Tom
No one is stopping you from your hypocrisy, just pointing it out.

Back
Top Bottom