• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

That's right. And the Uvalde killer, instead of walking into a gun-store on his 18th birthday and walking out with an AR-15 and a crate of ammunition, might have recalled his Eagle Scout skills and built himself a bow-and-arrow set.
Or he could have gotten himself a handgun or two.

Vast majority of gun homicides are perpetrated by handguns, not rifles of any kind. And scary "assault weapons" are a subset of rifles.
Even when we limit ourselves to "mass shootings", handguns predominate.
View attachment 38937
I am convinced. Ban both.

Guns like the AR15 are designed to make it easy to kill a lot of people, even when wielded by a novice. They are not really designed for hunting or sport shooting, even though they can be used for such activities, especially hunting dangerous game like feral hogs (which is a thing in the south). Guns like the AR15 and its derivatives don't belong in the hands of civilians. That was my point.
Handguns are also easy to wield, and if fact account for far more gun homicides than rifles of any type. '
To focus on AR-15s and similar while ignoring handguns would be a major mistake.
It's about chipping away at guns mass shooting death toll, just like the right chipped away at abortion.
FIFY. Don't worry, lots of Americans would still die because of a gun. In fact, more often than not, it'll be their own hand on that gun aimed at themselves. Talk about self-protection!

Not really. Focusing on the easy (weapons like the AR -15) would reduce the killing, especially the “large number” mass shootings.
Would it? The shooters in Columbine did not use any assault weapons.
The Virginia Tech shooter used two handguns and he managed to kill 33 people and injure some more.
Semi-automatic pistols. And is it really a bad thing to want to at least give the teachers who are likely going to die trying to stop the shooter, a chance? When I drop my daughter off at school, I don't see teachers on the sidewalk, I see the first line of defense that'll possibly be dying to sound the alarm. But let's make this about the poor powerless gun owners, instead of the dead.

Why in the heck is there a presumed right to the cheat code to enact mass murder, where in some states, even with the criminal intent to commit said mass murder?

Im kind of shocked at the tenacity of folks to argue against military veterans about whether the AR15 is more "combat oriented" and "deadly".

Of course it is.

Any rifle with a pistol grip loses accuracy in exchange for ready time. The angle of the wrist just makes it so much easier to fire while moving and standing. It's the ability to get your hand around the whole thing, and the perpendicularly of the wrist in the motion.

Combine that with the action of the thing, smooth on a massive round, and it's just so much more deadly it doesn't bear comparison.

It's a weapon, for a war, not a tool for getting meals.
Most Republicans I've talked to say it's a tool for "crowd control", like if your suburban home is being attacked by an angry, hate-filled mob.

Im kind of shocked at the tenacity of folks to argue against military veterans about whether the AR15 is more "combat oriented" and "deadly".

Of course it is.

Any rifle with a pistol grip loses accuracy in exchange for ready time. The angle of the wrist just makes it so much easier to fire while moving and standing. It's the ability to get your hand around the whole thing, and the perpendicularly of the wrist in the motion.

Combine that with the action of the thing, smooth on a massive round, and it's just so much more deadly it doesn't bear comparison.

Most Republicans I've talked to say it's a tool for "crowd control", like if your suburban home is being attacked by an angry, hate-filled mob.
So, I can't help but wonder who it is they want to piss off so badly that a strike team would be deployed against them?

Vast majority of gun homicides are perpetrated by handguns, not rifles of any kind. And scary "assault weapons" are a subset of rifles.
Even when we limit ourselves to "mass shootings", handguns predominate.
mass-shooting-gun-type-used-2020-jpg.38937
Good point. Same one Philip van Cleave, gun rights advocate and the president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, made during an interview with John Oliver. He buttressed his defence of gun rights with an analogy to swimming pools, which was quite apt.

Let's look at the deadliest massacres in the US.

9 massacres involved the deaths of 20 or more people. 6 involved semi-automatic rifles. That'd be 2/3's.

And if we look at the mass murders of 10 or more people since 2010, 11 of those 16 tragedies involved semi-automatic rifles. That'd be greater than 2/3's.

Can we please at least try to prevent a large percentage of massacres? I mean, stopping one massacre that'd scar the lives of 10 or 20 families directly and dozens more indirectly... I mean isn't that worth doing? Are we seriously going to say no because of paranoia?

Of course it is.

So, I can't help but wonder who it is they want to piss off so badly that a strike team would be deployed against them?
Black people. That isn't a secret.

Can we please at least try to prevent a large percentage of massacres? I mean, stopping one massacre that'd scar the lives of 10 or 20 families directly and dozens more indirectly... I mean isn't that worth doing?
At the cost of depriving tens of millions of trumsucking morons of the ability to mass murder tens of people in one minute or less?
What are you - crazy?

(It got misposted earlier, so I'm editing it to fix it)
Rashida Tlaib on Twitter: "Ducks are more protected in Texas than children. (pic link)" / Twitter
M. Speaker, in Texas, shotguns used for duck hunting can't hold more than 3 shells. Let me repeat: in order to protect the duck population in Texas, shotguns cannot hold more than 3 shells. Imagine if our shotguns cannot hold more than 3 shells. Imagine if our Republican colleagues could muster the same courage to protect America's children.
Rashida Tlaib on Twitter: "Today, @RepMcGovern entered into the record during the gun crisis debate that Texas has laws in the books that protect ducks from guns, but not children." / Twitter

Rashida Tlaib on Twitter: "In Kentucky too

No person shall take migratory game birds: With a shotgun capable of holding more than three shotshells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler which is incapable of removal without disassembling the gun" / Twitter

Someone mentioned a similar law in Georgia, and someone stated that it was a Federal law, not a state one.

Federal, State, and Local Regulations
with subheading
Federal, State, and Local Regulations

Only a shotgun is allowed, and one at most 10-gauge. It may contain at most 3 shells.

I'm pretty certain killing children is a crime, where as killing a duck is not. Besides, hunters don't need to protect themselves with semi-automatic weapons from hoards of ducks like they do hoards of angry (but unarmed) liberals that want to take their duck hunting rifles.

I'm pretty certain killing children is a crime, where as killing a duck is not.
And yet we regulate the gun industry with respect to hunting ducks, but not hunting children.

Because the family values party blocks any substantial attempt to prevent mass child murder.

They do like to punish murderers after the fact, though. Once the kids are already dead, social justice suddenly becomes important.

I'm pretty certain killing children is a crime, where as killing a duck is not.
And yet we regulate the gun industry with respect to hunting ducks, but not hunting children.

Exactly.
Tlaib is not my favorite politician. But the message wasn't hard to understand.

Weapons intended for duck hunting are more tightly regulated than weapons meant to hunt human beings. This isn't difficult to understand.
If understanding is your goal.
Tom

We do not regulate "hunting children" because hunting children is illegal under all circumstances. Hunting ducks is legal if you follow applicable laws.

Why is that a difficult concept for you and Hamas Rahsida to grasp? Does she (and presumably you) believe Salvador Ramos did not break any laws?

We do not regulate "hunting children" because hunting children is illegal under all circumstances.

That's a huge part of the problem.

It's not illegal to hunt children under all circumstances. Ramos bought those guns planning to hunt children. But it wasn't illegal to sell the guns because he didn't say that's what he was doing.
It was legal for Ramos to hunt children at the time he bought the weapons.
Tom

Shooting children with any weapon is obviously highly illegal. Unlike ducks.

Rashida "Hamas Squad" Tlaib really is a moron.
Yes, she has really come a long way in not going anywhere. How she manages to stay in power escapes me.

Her attempted parallel is problematic and entirely needless. It is really simple, people with criminal intent shouldn't be allowed to buy guns. I'm personally sick to death how arms dealers... I'm sorry, gun shops, are completely and utterly without any liability when selling weapons to a person that then murders a bunch of people.

If we ended that ridiculous waiver of liability, arms dealers would be a lot more careful who they sell to.

Exactly.
Tlaib is not my favorite politician. But the message wasn't hard to understand.
It is not hard to understand at all. But it is idiotic.
Weapons intended for duck hunting are more tightly regulated than weapons meant to hunt human beings. This isn't difficult to understand.
If understanding is your goal.
Tom
Her claim was that ducks are better protected than children in Texas. Hunting ducks is allowed if you use the right weapon. Hunting children is not allowed with any weapon, including bow and arrow and other non-firearms. This isn't difficult to understand. If understanding is your goal.

Of course it is.

Black people. That isn't a secret.
Speaking of black people, did anyone notice that conservative didn't say anything about arming black cashiers and black customers after Buffalo?

It's not illegal to hunt children under all circumstances. Ramos bought those guns planning to hunt children.
And if he had been captured alive, he'd face several first degree murder and attempted murder charges.
Ergo, it is not legal to hunt children.
Do you (and Rashida) understand what the word "legal" means?
But it wasn't illegal to sell the guns because he didn't say that's what he was doing.
It's not illegal to buy or sell guns. It is illegal to murder people, no matter the weapon used.
It is not illegal to buy kitchen knives. It is illegal to kill people with it.
It is not illegal to own a bath tub. It is illegal to drown your kids in it.

It was legal for Ramos to hunt children at the time he bought the weapons.
No, it wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom