• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

At least 8 dead in Mass Shooting du Jour

I see what you mean, but they all have the same thing in common, which is none of the victims wanted to get killed.

Absolutely.

But: domestic violence and even gang shootings seem to me and perhaps most people as something intimate, and specific to the shooter and victims. and therefore perhaps less scary, less risky to you as a person (unless you were in the family or gang). The Las Vegas shooter, for example seemed totally random and so it seemed as anyone just doing something innocent like going to a concert could get killed for no reason at all that was discernable to the victim.

I oppose the death penalty, full hard stop. I sure as hell oppose all of these shootings.

in your links the first was a gunfight broke out at a bar. the 2nd looks to be a family dispute. the third was a gang fight.

the OP is about MASS SHOOTINGs. i think that's the difference.

Shootings with more than 4 victims are classified as 'mass shootings' even when it is a family dispute. Earlier this year, in Indy, a young (black) man killed most of his family over what I believe was a custody dispute--a mass shooting because of the number of victims.

That was a mass shooting but for most of us, when we think of a mass shooting, we tend to think of a someone killing a bunch of strangers or coworkers or classmates, not family members and not usually a gang war shooting.

The United States' Congressional Research Service acknowledges that there is not a broadly accepted definition and defines a "public mass shooting"[3] as an event where someone selects four or more people and shoots them with firearms in an indiscriminate manner, echoing the FBI's definition of the term "mass murder", but adding the indiscriminate factor.[4]

Yeah, I like that term much better. The ones we are concerned with are the indiscriminate ones. Most "mass shootings" are gang fights--little risk if you're not in a gang. Most of the rest are domestics--and we can avoid those by getting out at the first domestic violence.

All Derec sees is race.

No, all Elixir sees is race. He has started threads about white shooters, and only white shooters and makes a point of then being white. He only started a thread about a black shooter AFTER I wrote my post.

What ? Only 3 dead, max?
Still qualifies.

No AR15s?
AR15s (and other "scary" rifles with shoulder things that go up) are responsible for a tiny fraction of gun crimes. Vast majority is committed with handguns.

Your whataboutisms need work.
But I see you started a thread about a non-white shooter in response to this.

I see what you mean, but they all have the same thing in common, which is none of the victims wanted to get killed.

C’mon, you can’t know what was in the minds of the victims. What if they had a prior criminal record or worse posted photos on social media holding a gun?

the OP is about MASS SHOOTINGs. i think that's the difference.
Elixir has started several threads about white shooters, and he is making a point of the shooters being white. That is the difference.

I'll be happy to start one about black mass shooters if you can find some. So far you have come up short. It's almost as if "AR" is short for "Aryan".

In fact googling "black man with AR 15 shoots" yields nothing but white killers on the first page... probably due to my bias (I didn't use a "clean" browser).
But Derec, if you try the same search I'm pretty sure it will find something to confirm your bias, even if it happened years ago. Give it a rip - let's see what you find.

It now comes out the shooter browsed white supremacist web sites.
[citation needed]
From CNN https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/20/us/indianapolis-shooting-fedex-tuesday/index.html
A year before the Indianapolis FedEx mass shooting, the gunman browsed White supremacist websites, police say
. Found it and many others by googling "Fed ex shooter browse"

Majority of the workforce was Indian. So yes, it looks like coincidence.
Just a coincidence that someone who browsed white supremacist websites shoots up a place with a majority of darker-skinned people? Could be, then again, I've seen you propagate theories on flimsier "coincidences".

Just a coincidence that someone who browsed white supremacist websites shoots up a place with a majority of darker-skinned people?

He also shot up his work place.

Who knows what was going on in that "brain squirming like a toad" to quote The Doors.

Maybe "I'm so worthless I had to work with a bunch of sandniggers"

Who knows what he was thinking?
Tom

I'll be happy to start one about black mass shooters if you can find some.
There are plenty. I mentioned a few earlier and I did not even look hard.

So far you have come up short.
I have not.

It's almost as if "AR" is short for "Aryan".
It actually stands for Armalite.
In fact googling "black man with AR 15 shoots" yields nothing but white killers on the first page... probably due to my bias (I didn't use a "clean" browser).
Why are you so monomaniacally obsessed with AR15s? They are not even the only popular so-called "assault weapon". What about AK47 even?

And anyway, most gun crime, including mass shootings, are committed with handguns, not rifles of any kind. And "assault weapons" are a subset of all rifles. Note also that mechanically and ballistically there is no difference between a scary "assault weapon" and a hunting rifle.
SCSP1qS.png
An AR-15 does not shoot .50 caliber bullets. The only difference are things like "the shoulder thing that goes up".

But Derec, if you try the same search I'm pretty sure it will find something to confirm your bias
I am more concerned about your biases. Both regarding race of the shooters as well as the type of the firearm. You are obsessed with AR-15 despite the fact that very few homicides are committed with those guns compared with handguns that, as far as you are concerned, do not count.

Just a coincidence that someone who browsed white supremacist websites shoots up a place with a majority of darker-skinned people? Could be, then again, I've seen you propagate theories on flimsier "coincidences".
Could be. If you go and browse some fundamentalist church's website a year ago just out of curiosity and now decide to shoot a bunch of people at random and some happen to be gay, yes that would be a coincidence.
Coincidences happen, and people browse websites they do not personally agree with too.
If he had a beef with Sikhs or South Asians specifically, why are only half of the victims from that demographic? That is more explainable if he was shooting people at random when the population fraction of South Asian people is very high. But CNN has a message to push and they are doing it very loudly indeed.

But anyway Elixir, you wanted a black man shooting somebody with an AR15, and I am nothing if not accomodating.
Happened last year in my neck of the woods.

Atlanta police release video of person of interest in shooting death of 8-year-old girl

WSB TV said:
[8 year old] Secoriea Turner was shot while riding in a car with her mother and her mother’s friend Saturday night.
The shooting happened not far from the Wendy’s on University Avenue where Rayshard Brooks was shot and killed last month.
The video shows a black man in a white shirt carrying what police identified as an AR-15. Lt. Pete Malecki said the man is just one of several persons of interest in the case.

You are welcome! Even though it's not a mass shooting ("only" one person shot and murdered), at least it's your favorite firearm. Can't have everything!

Meanwhile in C Springs... shooting du Jour:

(Link)COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — In a "senseless act of violence" early Sunday morning, a man drove to a birthday party at a mobile home, walked inside and started shooting, killing six people and himself, according to police.

Let's see ya do THAT with a knife!
Yay for 2A!

Just a coincidence that someone who browsed white supremacist websites shoots up a place with a majority of darker-skinned people?

Who knows what was going on in that "brain squirming like a toad" to quote The Doors.

Tom
Brain? Always thought the word was "prey".

Tom
Brain? Always thought the word was "prey".

I've already developed an opinion about you.
You needn't keep reinforcing it.
Tom

Meanwhile in C Springs... shooting du Jour:

(Link)COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — In a "senseless act of violence" early Sunday morning, a man drove to a birthday party at a mobile home, walked inside and started shooting, killing six people and himself, according to police.

Let's see ya do THAT with a knife!
Yay for 2A!

This is pretty obviously a domestic, not a mass shooting.

Back
Top Bottom