• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bigoted Doctor Fired

I worked on nuclear weapons for 20 years. We all watched each other for reliability.
I know of three guys who were starting to question their ability to either launch nukes or to use lethal force to protect the weapons. Someone broughtbthem to the attention of the chain of command.

Two were counseled, had some personal problems, got help, continued their careers. Two months off the watchbill for one, four months for the other. We can always use another body mess cranking.
The other, turned out, the counseling clarified for him that he was a conscientious objector. He was off the sub in four days. Due to the nature of the job, the vulnerability of the system, the possible harm he could have wrought, they were just unwilling to risk it.

Of course, i also saw a guy who was a firm American Patriot. If called upon by the authorized nuclear release authority to rain retribution down upon the enemies of this great land, he would not hesitate. Admirable, right up until he started to say that if the people around him hesitated, he'd shoot them, and if a democrat president hesitated to give the order, Derrin would launch, anyway.
He was off the sub in two days. Same concern, possible consequences of that person being in a critical position.

Giving the wrong medications can have significantly greater repercussions than a fry cook who claims he spits, or used to claim he would spit, in some people's food. So the consequences of such claims should be greater, too.But

Yeah sure.

If somebody actually deliberately prescribes the wrong medication, even though every medication prescribed is checked by a pharmacist, they should be banned from prescribing. If they caused harm they should go to jail.

Of course all of this assumes humans are autonomous agents with free will.

Yeah sure.

If somebody actually deliberately prescribes the wrong medication, even though every medication prescribed is checked by a pharmacist, they should be banned from prescribing. If they caused harm they should go to jail.

If someone says they will deliberately prescribe the wrong medication, they need to never be in a position to prescribe the wrong medication.

For everyone's good.

Yeah sure.

If someone says they will deliberately prescribe the wrong medication, they need to never be in a position to prescribe the wrong medication.

For everyone's good.

Depends on the person and the circumstance.

Blind outrage in the young over the injustice carried out by Israel is very understandable.

I would want to talk to the other physicians who had contact with this woman before I threw her in the trash.

So?

!= and /= and =/= are definitely != and /= and =/= English :)

I am not a programmer, yet I understood LPetrich's post. Anyone who has been on chat platforms and social media for more than a week should understand what he wrote.

That said, RonBurgandy's mistake is fine. The way you are arguing for your own ignorance is not.

Ive been on this forum for slightly more than one week :) and have never before seen that sign. (and btw do you realize what :) means? Look back with that in mind)
I do not take part in social media chatrooms except for here.

Yeah sure.

For everyone's good.

Blind outrage in the young over the injustice carried out by Israel is very understandable.

I would want to talk to the other physicians who had contact with this woman before I threw her in the trash.

I understand: you agree with and are sympathetic towards Kollab’s political leanings. However, this does not and cannot have any bearing on whether or not she should be allowed to participate in a residency program, given her statements about purposely prescribing the wrong medication for a group of people she blames for injustices against a group of people she identifies with. This would be unacceptable if she were Jewish and tweeted that she would purposely prescribe the wrong medication for Palestinians or Palestinian Americans or Arabs. Similarly if a person suggested that they would purposely prescribe or otherwise commit medical malpractice FOR ANY REASON AT ALL—this would be disqualifying. Period.

You cannot imagine that some doctor or some bureaucrat or person in HR simply made this decision on their own. Even a small hospital would consult with its legal department as well as the heads of residency program, etc. Cleveland Clinic is one of the top 3 medical practices in the US, with a world wide reputation for excellence. They are large, well funded, and renowned. They are going to be even more careful to protect their reputation for excellence and high ethical standards—for their own financial well-being but also to protect patients’ health and safety, as well as the professional lives of all physicians, medical professionals and other students associated with the Cleveland Clinic.

It’s a huge fucking deal

And yeah it does kind of stink that kids’ social media posts can come back to haunt them. But she wasn’t that young and there is evidence that she still harbors such strong feelings as might compromise her professional medical judgement. It would be hard to imagine any medical center being willing to take a risk on her.

I am sympathetic to millions of people being oppressed for decades by a powerful nation, yes.

Actually writing wrong prescriptions is bad.

A child trying to deal with their anger and hatred and making empty threats is meaningless.

I am sympathetic to millions of people being oppressed for decades by a powerful nation, yes.

A child trying to deal with their anger and hatred and making empty threats is meaningless.

A child of 20 to 23 years or thereabouts? Give it up Unter, your bias is obvious to any child over 14 or even younger.

It is not meaningless when that 'child' is actively working towards earning a position where she can carry out her threats.

Would you feel as sympathetic to an Israeli American student who had visited Israel and witnessed the destruction done to her ancestral land by Palestinians?

I doubt it.

Your politics are clouding your judgment.

Yeah sure.

For everyone's good.

Have you publicly threatened to harm/kill other people via your job or intended career in your youthful blind outrage?

A child of 20 to 23 years or thereabouts? Give it up Unter, your bias is obvious to any child over 14 or even younger.

What is my bias?

I know how humans behave.

They make empty threats all the time.

There is no reason to think she was seriously plotting this.

It is not meaningless when that 'child' is actively working towards earning a position where she can carry out her threats.

Would you feel as sympathetic to an Israeli American student who had visited Israel and witnessed the destruction done to her ancestral land by Palestinians?

I doubt it.

That is an insane interpretation.

She was working to one day be a doctor.

And she had great hatred for the nation of Israel which is totally understandable. But she clearly also let that hatred spread to all Jews.

Kind of like all the Americans that are condemning all Muslims because a few commit horrible crimes.

She made a bad joke about wanting to somehow harm some Jews she never met even though it is not really possible to do it.

Poor judgement on her part but not a real threat.

She gets fired only because of liability issues not because this constitutes evidence of a real threat.

I doubt it.

And she had great hatred for the nation of Israel which is totally understandable. But she clearly also let that hatred spread to all Jews.

Kind of like all the Americans that are condemning all Muslims because a few commit horrible crimes.

She made a bad joke about wanting to somehow harm some Jews she never met even though it is not really possible to do it.

She gets fired only because of liability issues not because this constitutes evidence of a real threat.

Liability arises from the threat of harm.

If she were Jewish and made similar youthful statements about Arabs or Palestinians, would you grant her the same understanding for her youthful indiscretion?

Yeah sure.

For everyone's good.

Um, when you say "checked by a pharmacist" the Check is that they make double damned sure that what is in the bottle is what the doctor wrote on the prescription.

If the doctor prescribes a harmful med for tbe patient's condition, the pharm may not be in a position to know. They don't make an independent diagnosis.
And if the doc lied and said, your problem is X, so i will prescribe Y, and they ask the pharmacist 'is this drug good for my X?' he will have no way of knowing to say 'it would be, but you really have Z, and Y will aggravate your Z.'

If she were Jewish and made similar youthful statements about Arabs or Palestinians, would you grant her the same understanding for her youthful indiscretion?

No. Liability comes from the fact that there are bad outcomes and a very litigious society.

What is my bias?

I know how humans behave.

They make empty threats all the time.

There is no reason to think she was seriously plotting this.

[Nikolas] Cruz had told the student’s brother “he wanted to shoot up the school,” a witness statement released by the State Attorney’s Office on Friday says.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/...fl-ne-nikolas-cruz-threat-20181109-story.html

But there was no reason to think he was seriously plotting to murder students and teachers at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida right?

We all know that he wouldn't

Yeah sure.

Now you are in la-la land. The pharmacist doesn't know the situation! They can check the prescription against what else is prescribed for dangerous combinations. There's not much else they can check.

Once again you are showing that your hatred of Jews overrides reason.

And the earliest tweets are from 2011. She's in residency as of 2018--that's 7 years. In other words, she was in college in 2011. That's not a child.

Or perhaps you mean that Islamists are children?

No. Liability comes from the fact that there are bad outcomes and a very litigious society.

Bad outcomes arise from honest mistakes and imperfect ability to predict or prevent all possible harm. Which is why it is important to minimize all known risk factors. This includes selecting health professionals who have demonstrated their commitment to the principles that the needs of the patients come first; that all preventable harm be avoided; that all patients be treated to the highest standards irregardlessof he parient’s race, religion, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, political persuasion, etc.

Back
Top Bottom