• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Jogger Gunned Down In The Street

You guys = people who always take the side of the aggressors.

Oh. I’m not taking sides. I think the two guys that shot and killed Arbery are assholes And guilty of a crime. But I also think it could have played out differently had Arbery done something different. Maybe not but we will never know.

And it would definitely turned out different if the two assholes had a brain between them.

These idiots grab their guns and pursue a runner. The DA says, well, they were just defending themselves.

Wait... what were they defending themselves from? Is "black jogger" that dangerous?

Yeah, I mean, what if he tries itching his junk or whatever? He could then get smelly dick sweat on you, and after that, it's game over!

Do you expect Arbery to just lay down on the ground and not try to fight his way out?

I think grabbing the barrel of a shotgun is a good way to get shot.

:glare: I think brandishing a shotgun at me in close quarters is a good way to get me to grab it so I can try to not get murdered in cold blood.

I'm not seeing the video but the article does say there was a fight over the shotgun. From a criminal standpoint I think the shooter is in the clear--this wasn't a case of chasing down and killing the guy. The shot wasn't about the burglary, it was about trying to take the shotgun.

Just... wtf, man? If a guy with a shotgun comes after me for no fucking reason, I'm going to try to run away. If he gets close to me while wielding a shotgun, I sure as shit will try to get the goddamned shotgun away from him. Defending this incident is abhorrent.

And you know good and well that I'm a strong supporter of law enforcement, military, AND the second amendment. But seriously, sometimes people do fucked up shit. This is one of those times. Don't defend the indefensible out of some kind of habit.

The "threat" from the guys with the guns was jail, not physical harm. As such, he has no right to use force.
Okay, I'm going to try really hard to keep my head-asplodey in check here.

If some random guy that you don't know cuts you off, then jumps out of his truck wielding a shotgun... Are you going to assume that this clearly-not-a-cop just want's to arrest you, and peacefully submit to the gun-wielding yahoo?

I honestly don't know how you can possibly make this argument, Loren. I mean, seriously... an unarmed man is threatened by a stranger with a gun, and the person threatened has no right to use force?

All well and good but he still ran toward the stationary truck.

:confused:
Arbery turned around and began running in the opposite direction

And just to emphasize this situation... Arbery wasn't alive to give this statement. This is from the McMichael's. They chased him in a truck, cut him off, and when he turned around and ran awa (from the crazy people with guns who just stuffed their truck in front of him) they CHASED AFTER HIM WITH GUNS.

All well and good but he still ran toward the stationary truck.

:confused:
Arbery turned around and began running in the opposite direction

And just to emphasize this situation... Arbery wasn't alive to give this statement. This is from the McMichael's. They chased him in a truck, cut him off, and when he turned around and ran awa (from the crazy people with guns who just stuffed their truck in front of him) they CHASED AFTER HIM WITH GUNS.

The video clearly shows Arbery running toward the truck, then round the front of the truck where the confrontation happened, out of sight of the camera.

I'd like to know what role the camera operator had in this.

Now we have a base of black people in the continental U.S. who are trying to build their lives in an atmosphere of pervasive racism. White people dominate the U.S., they dominate every aspect of the economy and culture. They are the owners of businesses, they are the people who run schools, they are the people who make laws. And even those who aren't killing black people in the streets likely still don't want to hire them or promote their livelihood in any capacity. Ok, now are you getting the picture?

Say, McFly, what decade are you in exactly ? There may be some areas of the USA where it is still like that and Georgia may one such area but certainly not where I live.

The situation being improved over what it was like in the 20s or 30s doesn't mean it's a great situation for black people, or solved by any means. It just means the concrete ceiling has a few chinks in it.

Really? Who's the racist now? :eek:

Dispatcher: 'What was he doing wrong?'

If they hadn't shot him and the police showed up, would the police have arrested him? For what?

Certainly not for burglary as the 911 caller makes perfectly clear:

Arbery had been seen recently on surveillance video in the neighborhood, according to the first caller. Neither call specifies a crime Arbery might have committed.

“There’s a guy in the house right now; it’s under construction,” the man told the dispatcher.

The man then gave her an address.

“And you said someone’s breaking into it right now?” the dispatcher asked.

“No,” the man replied, “it’s all open. It’s under construction … “

The man interrupted to say Arbery was leaving. “And there he goes right now.”

“Ok,” the dispatcher said, “What is he doing?”

“He’s running down the street,” the man said. The next sentence is garbled.

“That’s fine,” the dispatcher said. “I’ll get (police) out there. I just need to know what he was doing wrong. Was he just on the premises and not supposed to be?”

The next sentence is garbled. “And he’s been caught on camera a bunch at night. It’s kind of an ongoing thing. The man building the house has got heart issues. I think he’s not going to finish it.”

And then the second call. Note the chronology:

The next 911 call from Satilla Shores came in at 1:14 p.m.

“I’m out here at Satilla Shores,” the man said. “There’s a black male running down the street.”

“Where at Satilla Shores?” the dispatcher asked.

“I don’t know what street we’re on,” the man replied.

“Stop!” he can be heard shouting. “Watch that. Stop, damn it! Stop!”

That call went blank for several minutes, with the dispatcher trying several times to reach the caller. The call eventually hangs up.

At some point during all this, Gregory McMichael was outside at his son’s Satilla Drive home when he saw Arbery running down the street, he told police. He ran inside, armed himself and told his son to grab a gun, Gregory McMichael told police. He said they had seen Arbery on surveillance cameras. The two men got into his son’s pickup truck and caught up to Arbery at Burford Road and Satilla Drive, he told police. After asking Arbery several times to stop, Travis McMichael stepped out of the truck with a shotgun, Gregory McMichael told police.

Gregory McMichael told police a struggle for the gun ensued between Travis McMichael and Arbery, during which his son fired twice. Arbery died at the scene.

After the fatal shooting, Gregory McMichael told responding police that “there have been several break-ins in the neighborhood … “ the police report said.

Only one burglary, an automobile burglary, was reported to county police in the Satilla Shores neighborhood between Jan. 1 and Feb. 23, according to documents obtained by The News in a public records request to the Glynn County Police Department. It involved a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm pistol stolen Jan. 1 from a pickup truck outside 230 Satilla Drive, the home of Travis McMichael, according to the police report.

Gregory McMichael moved the 2011 Ford F-150 from one spot to another in front of the home at around 9:30 a.m. Jan. 1, forgetting to lock it afterward, Travis McMichael told police. About an hour later, Travis McMichael found the handgun’s empty holster on the unlocked truck’s seat, the report said.

The 911 call was on February 23rd, almost two full months after someone--at around 10:00 AM--simply opened the unlocked truck and stole the gun. Recall what was claimed presumably by Gregory McMichael on the second 911 call, however: "he’s been caught on camera a bunch at night."

I point all of this out, of course, because someone will likely claim next that the McMichael's feared Arbery was the one who stole Travis' gun and thus was possibly armed with it two months later when he went jogging, in spite of the fact that whoever took the weapon inexplicably left the holster. That would seriously indicate that whoever did take it, already had a holster for a 9 mm. But who would already have a holster and not a gun unless it was someone who had several such weapons and multiple holsters. Iow, likely not Arbery, but someone in McMichael's
neighborhood.

So, what began as someone walking around inside the open skeleton of a home under construction, after his son has just unjustifiably killed the guy, the ex-cop comes up with a cover story about "several break-ins in the neighborhood," that, upon further investigation is just ONE break-in and it was his own son's car and that was over two months ago.

As to the "caught on camera a bunch at night," that will likely be the next bit of video that gets released, so that should shed more light one way or the other, though it would seem from the context of the 911 call that the surveillance cameras were focused on the house under construction.

Last edited:

After the fatal shooting, Gregory McMichael told responding police that “there have been several break-ins in the neighborhood … “ the police report said.

Only one burglary, an automobile burglary, was reported to county police in the Satilla Shores neighborhood between Jan. 1 and Feb. 23, according to documents obtained by The News in a public records request to the Glynn County Police Department. It involved a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm pistol stolen Jan. 1 from a pickup truck outside 230 Satilla Drive, the home of Travis McMichael, according to the police report.

By break-ins, they mean their one break in of their unlocked car. Would explain their aggression.

By break-ins, they mean their one break in of their unlocked car. Would explain their aggression.

So, they are what? Shooting an innocent jogger over the theft of an unsecured firearm from an unsecured vehicle?

More likely is that the person who had their weapon "stolen" diverted it to the black market all on their own!

So, they are what? Shooting an innocent jogger over the theft of an unsecured firearm from an unsecured vehicle?

That occurred almost two months prior no less.

More likely is that the person who had their weapon "stolen" diverted it to the black market all on their own!

Which would also explain why the alleged thief didn't simply take both the gun and the holster it was evidently secured within. Iow, Travis didn't want to sell his holster on the black market, too, just the gun. Or, he used the holster as proof.

Here's the most likely series of events, then, in that scenario: Travis sells the gun on the black market. He then puts the empty holster in his unlocked car and reports the gun stolen, pointing to the empty holster in the car as evidence that the gun was in fact there and taken.

Them let's hope there is video from that day.

Them let's hope there is video from that day.

Well, we already have video showing Arbery being unjustifiably killed (and clearly not armed). If the McMichaels had surveilance video of Arbery breaking into Travis' car and stealing the gun, then they (presumably) would have turned that into the police on January 1st when they made the report.

They might not be the only ones with video.

The situation being improved over what it was like in the 20s or 30s doesn't mean it's a great situation for black people, or solved by any means.
Racism is solved for the most part. Note also that there is racism BY blacks against whites, although that gets a pass for the most part in our society.
Note also that blacks receive many benefits just for being black, such as so-called "affirmative action" (aka discrimination on the basis of race) in education and employment.

It just means the concrete ceiling has a few chinks in it.
It's nonsense to talk about concrete ceilings when a president was half-black, many other high-ranking politicians are black and there are many black entrepreneurs etc.

I'm certainly not any kind of apologist, but it really takes some blinders to believe racism isn't still a serious problem in the U.S.
It takes some serious tunnel vision to think that a) it's still nearly as serious a problem as you make it out to be and b) that it is one-sided.

Back
Top Bottom