• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Jogger Gunned Down In The Street

I would say that running towards people brandishing guns is not the smartest of moves.

Your claim was already made and refuted multiple times by different persons. To review...running away from a person with a gun makes sense when they are at a sufficiently great distance...while running toward a person with a gun makes sense when they are at a sufficiently close distance.
I don't know if it has been refuted. It has been contested, but I think reasonable people can disagree. I think more importantly, it is irrelevant.

So logic is: They did not claim citizen's arrest therefore it was lynching?
there is nothing in between?

Note that trying to run someone down with a vehicle is considered lethal force. They were trying to kill him before the guns were involved.
I am still waiting for a proof that they were trying to run him down.

This is the prosecution summary. The full statement of Roddie Bryan was entered into evidence by one of the GBI investigators on Day 2(?). You will have to find it, because I am not watching it all again. Or you can download the PDF transcripts and search there with keywords.

"I missed him" referring to the first assault.
"I wish I had hit him".
"I backed up at him".
"I angled at him again".
Roddie is telling us, in his own words, that he was trying to hit Arbery with his truck. And that he regretted not succeeding in his efforts.

Exactly! By their own words, they admitted to aggravated assault on the stand. Cut and dry once it was established that citizen's arrest was not justified, indeed, given Arbery's actions, it couldn't have been justified.

I didn't watch this trial or Kyle's; and I didn't spend time on learning details. Is televising such cases this Amerika's latest substitute for the lions -vs- Christians spectacles of Rome? But two things occur to me:

(1) The probability is about 99.8% that, in similar situation, a white man would NOT have been suspected and attacked the way Arbery was. Anyone who doubts this fact is deluded.

(2) The alleged non-crime was that Arbery "cased out" an unguarded house under construction. Was there anything worth stealing there? Did the murderers think Arbery was hoping to find a hammer or bag of nails a worker had left behind? Is it not likelier that Arbery was just intrigued to see how the work progressed?
I'll give you the TL:DR,

Both cases were decided correctly. In both cases you had a lot of video evidence and eyewitness testimony that pretty much established cut and dry conclusions based on the plain reading of the laws. Indeed, I would say I'm very surprised by how well the system worked out, despite the ridiculous amount of noise and controversy both cases generated, particularly the Rittenhouse case.

From a point of view of Arbery these 3 idiots were legally detaining him.
And even from a point of view of court illegality is not that obvious.
It rests on the fact that they did not see him trespassing with their own eyes. That's pretty weak offence. Someone saw him and told them, they trusted him and in the end they chased the RIGHT guy.
No, as far as I understand, the people who are claiming citizen's arrest must have firsthand knowledge that a felony is being committed. In this case, at best, they knew misdemeanor trespassing had been committed. They knew a burglary had been committed at this residence at some point in the past, but that doesn't justify them apprehending any trespasser after the fact.

What makes that interesting to me is that (1) one of the guys chasing him down was a former cop and would have known what citizens can and can't legally do, (2) it is very clear from the circumstance that Arbery had not committed a felony or even a theft on that day and (3) the assailants chose not to call the police. One might reasonably infer, which could be incorrect, that the assailants then were trying to handle the situation on their own in some vigilante fashion, but giving them the benefit of doubt as to exactly the scope of that vigilante action, leads me to reasonably conclude they could have been trying to imprison, scream, mentally torture him, etc to put the idea in his head that they were protecting neighbors' property and would do so any means necessary. That type of vigilantism could end in them screaming "We ever see you round here again, we'll blow your fucking head off!" as they kick him a few times while they let him run away. All illegal, but entitled. They would have had protection by the neighbors, police, the DA's office and since the presumption was that Arbery was a criminal thug, they wouldn't imagine that he'd report them to any of their friends in high places.

There were ditches on the sides of the road, and houses with fences beyond that.
And if Arbery really, really believed he was going to get shot, wouldn't it have been prudent to take that option rather than run towards the guys brandishing guns?
No.

The recommendation from law enforcement and safety experts is Run, Hide, Fight. First try to run away. If you can't then try to hide. If that fails then fight for your life.

Arbery tried to run, had no chance to hide, and was forced to fight for his life by the man who got out of his truck with a shotgun, shell already racked, to assault him at close range.

No, because without a valid claim of citizen's arrest, what they did was simply aggravated assault, and false imprisonment. You cannot arrest someone randomly, that is a crime, only police can arrest people legally, and that heavily controlled by law. And if your arrest involves chasing them down with a gun and a pickup truck, that is aggravated assault (again, pretty much a straightforward application of assault laws). Both of these are felonies. Take your pick.
You expect too much from these idiots. It was not random arrest.

It rests on the fact that they did not see him trespassing with their own eyes. That's pretty weak offence. Someone saw him and told them, they trusted him and in the end they chased the RIGHT guy.
No, as far as I understand, the people who are claiming citizen's arrest must have firsthand knowledge that a felony is being committed. In this case, at best, they knew misdemeanor trespassing had been committed. They knew a burglary had been committed at this residence at some point in the past, but that doesn't justify them apprehending any trespasser after the fact.
You forgot theft, reports of theft.

Arbery had a history of petty thievery and criminality, so it is quite plausible he was casing the property whenever he was trespassing there. He was most probably running away to escape being caught when he did leave the property. He could see a neighbor standing in a yard talking on their phone while looking at him, and this neighbor was indeed calling the police, and that's when he bolted out of there. That wasn't a McMichael calling then, but GM did eventually call the police, it was right before the first shot was fired.

None of that changes anything about the validity of the convictions.

Even if a citizen's arrest were lawful (but it wasn't, they didn't have enough to go on), it was still unlawful to run the guy down with their vehicles and point guns at him.

On whether Arbery should have kept running. He tried that, and he would have known by the end that it wouldn't work, they could cut him off too easy whatever direction he went, he's not faster than the trucks, and he got tired. His only choice then was to surrender or fight. He had the right to fight, and who knows if he made a different move in the fight, if he could have made it. But he might have lived if he surrendered, the police were on their way, they even heard the shots as they were driving in, but maybe it would have become even more chaotic with more guns involved. None of us know what would have happened if he chose differently, and we only know the choice to fight didn't work in hindsight.

I think we can say with good certainty that if the McMichaels had chosen to just call the police and follow him at a distance, everyone would have lived and they all would have stayed out of jail, except for perhaps Arbery.

One final comment, I saw the autopsy pictures, and they were horrific, the shots tore chunks of flesh out of him, leaving gaping holes. If he knew what a shotgun could do to a body, maybe he should have taken that into consideration too. The first shot was lethal, he didn't have a chance after that.

There were ditches on the sides of the road, and houses with fences beyond that.
And if Arbery really, really believed he was going to get shot, wouldn't it have been prudent to take that option rather than run towards the guys brandishing guns?
No.

The recommendation from law enforcement and safety experts is Run, Hide, Fight. First try to run away. If you can't then try to hide. If that fails then fight for your life.

Yes, run AWAY, not run towards.

Arbery tried to run, had no chance to hide, and was forced to fight for his life by the man who got out of his truck with a shotgun, shell already racked, to assault him at close range.

That’s nonsense on stilts. But you’re sticking with it I guess.

Carry on.

The law required a person making a citizen's arrest to either witness a felony crime or have immediate knowledge of one, and a reason to believe the person they were arresting committed the crime and was in the process of fleeing the scene of the crime.

Immediate knowledge of a crime that had just been committed, not having heard about a crime that was committed days or weeks or months ago, and reason to believe the person they were arresting was in the process of fleeing the scene, not mere suspicion that the person might have done something some time ago.

All the McMichaels had was a suspicion that Arbery had trespassed that day (a misdemeanor) , which wasn't enough. And Bryan didn't even have that.

No.

Yes, run AWAY, not run towards.

That’s nonsense on stilts. But you’re sticking with it guess.

Carry on.
How is it possible you don't know that Arbery ran for 5 minutes with the McMichaels and Bryan in pursuit?

How is it possible you don't know that Bryan struck Arbery with his truck? Arbery's DNA, palmprint, and cotton fibers from his clothes were recovered from the fresh dent in Bryan's truck, and Bryan admitted to trying to hit him.

How is it possible you don't know that Greg McMichael told the cops that he, his son, and Bryan had trapped Arbery "like a rat"?

You appear to be basing your entire argument on the brief video showing how the pursuit ended and ignoring everything else, including what the murderers themselves said about what they did and why.

Yeah I'm sure stopping would have assured his safety from three hostile white men. Even the police when they showed up was reassurance of that. No aid but took a moment to get a picture of a dying man.

Arbery had a history of petty thievery and criminality, so it is quite plausible he was casing the property whenever he was trespassing there. He was most probably running away to escape being caught when he did leave the property. He could see a neighbor standing in a yard talking on their phone while looking at him, and this neighbor was indeed calling the police, and that's when he bolted out of there. That wasn't a McMichael calling then, but GM did eventually call the police, it was right before the first shot was fired.

None of that changes anything about the validity of the convictions.

Even if a citizen's arrest were lawful (but it wasn't, they didn't have enough to go on), it was still unlawful to run the guy down with their vehicles and point guns at him.

On whether Arbery should have kept running. He tried that, and he would have known by the end that it wouldn't work, they could cut him off too easy whatever direction he went, he's not faster than the trucks, and he got tired. His only choice then was to surrender or fight. He had the right to fight, and who knows if he made a different move in the fight, if he could have made it. But he might have lived if he surrendered, the police were on their way, they even heard the shots as they were driving in, but maybe it would have become even more chaotic with more guns involved. None of us know what would have happened if he chose differently, and we only know the choice to fight didn't work in hindsight.

I think we can say with good certainty that if the McMichaels had chosen to just call the police and follow him at a distance, everyone would have lived and they all would have stayed out of jail, except for perhaps Arbery.

One final comment, I saw the autopsy pictures, and they were horrific, the shots tore chunks of flesh out of him, leaving gaping holes. If he knew what a shotgun could do to a body, maybe he should have taken that into consideration too. The first shot was lethal, he didn't have a chance after that.
Arbery had a history of a single attempt at shoplifting, for which he was on probation when he died. Prior to that, he was on probation for having carried a pistol onto a high school campus a year after he graduated from high school. THAT is his criminal history.

Here's a link to the records of the men who killed him:

Arbery had a history of a single attempt at shoplifting, for which he was on probation when he died. Prior to that, he was on probation for having carried a pistol onto a high school campus a year after he graduated from high school. THAT is his criminal history.

There is more than that. He had several run-ins with the law, he just wasn't prosecuted for everything.

There is more than that. He had several run-ins with the law, he just wasn't prosecuted for everything.
Most Black people in this country have regular "run-ins with the law", a polite way to describe constant police harassment. Luckily, in the United States, all citizens are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. You also cannot be considered guilty of a future crime based on a previous conviction.

To those obsessed with the history of criminality of targets of police brutality, I ask that they consider what should be done about Representative Lauren Boebert of CO-03. She had a lot of run-ins with the law in her years before being elected.

Colorado's Lauren Boebert has a history of minor arrests, court no-shows - "Rifle Republican has been arrested and summonsed four times in the past decade"

GOP Rep. Lauren Boebert and husband have racked up arrests

LB Rapsheet Full

Much of that seems like rowdiness, but here is a case of worse criminality.

A Florida felon won a GOP congressional primary, but can he hold office?
The winning Republican in this week’s congressional primary in South Florida is a convicted felon who did not go through the state’s process to restore his civil rights after his imprisonment, interviews and records show. That step is required under Florida law for a candidate to hold political office.

Jason Mariner, 36, of Palm Beach Gardens, an advertising executive and self-described “America First” conservative candidate, won Tuesday’s GOP primary with 58 percent of votes in the heavily Democratic 20th congressional district.

Mariner had served roughly two years total in the Palm Beach County Jail over 2007 and 2012 on charges that included felony theft, burglary, cocaine possession, obstruction and violently resisting arrest, records show. He was open during his campaign about his criminal background, telling voters, “Before running for Congress, I ran from the law.” He also promised he will be tough on crime.

The law required a person making a citizen's arrest to either witness a felony crime or have immediate knowledge of one, and a reason to believe the person they were arresting committed the crime and was in the process of fleeing the scene of the crime.

Immediate knowledge of a crime that had just been committed, not having heard about a crime that was committed days or weeks or months ago, and reason to believe the person they were arresting was in the process of fleeing the scene, not mere suspicion that the person might have done something some time ago.

All the McMichaels had was a suspicion that Arbery had trespassed that day (a misdemeanor) , which wasn't enough. And Bryan didn't even have that.
Monday morning quarterbacking much?

Reports of the theft and regular trespassing in the past months.
Someone calls and says black guy trespassing a construction site which have been trespassed before.
So why not go and citizen's arrest him? There is a law which lets you do that.
yes, they did not go through the check list properly, but who does? there was no time.
They thought the guy would stop and they will wait for police to arrive. Did not go that way unfortunately. Guy turned out to be extremely aggressive.

Most Black people in this country have regular "run-ins with the law", a polite way to describe constant police harassment. Luckily, in the United States, all citizens are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. You also cannot be considered guilty of a future crime based on a previous conviction.

Arbery's behavior wasn't that of most black people's. Here's what the defense found, starting at page 3 of this filing.

1. On March 14, 2013, security camera video from South Georgia Technical College reveals Mr. Arbery provided a friend a pair of wire cutters to use as a weapon as he, the friend, and others waited for another group of men to appear. When the other group arrived, Mr. Arbery and the others engaged in a violent fight;

2. On December 3, 2013, Glynn County Police reports reveal Mr. Arbery unlawfully concealed a handgun into his waistband and tried to gain admission into a high school basketball game. Officers noticed the butt of the gun protruding from his waistband and ordered for him to stop. Mr. Arbery ran from police, which resulted in two officers sustaining injuries: one because Mr. Arbery scratched his arm to get away; the other because the officer fell and sustained injuries during his chase of Mr. Arbery. Also, the Chief of Police reported that as he chased Mr. Arbery in his vehicle, Mr. Arbery reached into his waistband as if searching for his firearm. Police eventually surrounded Mr. Arbery and charged him. He was later convicted for several felony and misdemeanor charges, including gun possession 2.and obstruction;

3. On October 7, 2017, Glynn County Police body cam video reveals an officer spotted a sole car parked in a park area known for drug activity. The officer could not see who was in the car due to the occupant being inside the car and the car having tinted windows. When he approached the car, the occupant, Mr. Arbery, got out. The officer asked Mr. Arbery for his ID. Within a minute and thirty seconds of the officer holding Mr. Arbery's license to check his background, Mr. Arbery said, "Nobody not even driving the car. What the fuck you coming over here for? The fuck you come over here and fuck with me for?" When the officer began to explain his purpose to Mr. Arbery, Mr. Arbery quickly changed his conduct, launched forward at the officer, crossing several feet to confront the officer, and threw out his arms. The officer had to put his arm out to stop Mr. Arbery from colliding with him. Mr. Arbery cursed the officer and then told the officer, "Bitch you hit me with that shit, bitch, you gonna be fucked up," This caused the officer to tell Mr. Arbery he was going to search him for weapons and a second officer to attempt to use a taser on Mr. Arbery. He was not arrested;

4. In June of 2018, 911 audio reveals Mr. Arbery's mother, Wanda Jones, called 911 due to Mr. Arbery's refusal to give Ms. Jones her car keys. She made the call from inside her car while Mr. Arbery stood outside her car. During her call to 911, she cautioned the operator that Mr. Arbery had a mental condition that had "escalated" over time. Additionally, Ms. Jones told the officer that Mr. Arbery might get violent with the officers due to his mental illness, if they were too confrontational with Mr. Arbery or tried to arrest him or take him into custody;

5. On August 21, 2018, Burke County witness reports and Burke County Office body cam video reveals Mr. Arbery was caught by a stay-athome mom who saw him in her backyard looking into the windows of her cars. She called police who found Mr. Arbery at his grandmother's residence. Police officers arrived to give Mr. Arbery a trespass warning about his conduct and behavior. When confronted by the officers about the eye-witness report, he lied said he had "gone running in the street," and then became aggressive, confrontational, and repeatedly threatened that he would "whip the officer's ass" if they didn't leave him alone. He was not arrested;

6. On October 23, 2018, Burke County reports and Burke County officer body cam video reveal Mr. Arbery and two juveniles were confronted in a vacant mobile home by the Burke County Sheriffs Office. Mr. Arbery ran when confronted by the authorities. He was later caught and lied, stating he was just out running, when asked about being in the mobile home. He was charged with misdemeanor obstruction for running when given lawful commands to stop;

7. On December 1, 2018, Glynn County officer body cam video reveals Mr. Arbery was arrested, charged, and later convicted for felony shoplifting by entering a store and attempting to steal a television;

8. In 2019 and 2020, witness interviews reveal Mr. Arbery was seen by his own neighbors, removing screen from windows and trying enter their homes through the windows. When confronted by the neighbors about his conduct and behavior, he appeared "nervous or agitated" and "trying to figure out where to go." Then he said he was interested in buy the house but "took off running." On the second occasion, the home owner observed Mr. Arbery trying to gain entrance through a door. They again tried to talk to Mr. Arbery but he would not speak or say anything, he simply ran away;

9. In 2019 and 2020/ local convenience store witness interviews reveal Mr. Arbery became known as "the jogger" for his repeated conduct and behavior of running up, stretching in front in, and then entering several convenience stores where he would grab items and run out before he could be caught; and

10. In 2020, witness cell phone video reveals Mr. Arbery was confronted at a convenience store by employees about his theft conduct and behavior, Mr. Arbery, cornered about his thefts, chose to fight a man who worked on location at the adjacent truck stop who tried to confront him about it.

Arbery's behavior wasn't that of most black people's. Here's what the defense found, starting at page 3 of this filing.

1. On March 14, 2013, security camera video from South Georgia Technical College reveals Mr. Arbery provided a friend a pair of wire cutters to use as a weapon as he, the friend, and others waited for another group of men to appear. When the other group arrived, Mr. Arbery and the others engaged in a violent fight;

2. On December 3, 2013, Glynn County Police reports reveal Mr. Arbery unlawfully concealed a handgun into his waistband and tried to gain admission into a high school basketball game. Officers noticed the butt of the gun protruding from his waistband and ordered for him to stop. Mr. Arbery ran from police, which resulted in two officers sustaining injuries: one because Mr. Arbery scratched his arm to get away; the other because the officer fell and sustained injuries during his chase of Mr. Arbery. Also, the Chief of Police reported that as he chased Mr. Arbery in his vehicle, Mr. Arbery reached into his waistband as if searching for his firearm. Police eventually surrounded Mr. Arbery and charged him. He was later convicted for several felony and misdemeanor charges, including gun possession 2.and obstruction;

3. On October 7, 2017, Glynn County Police body cam video reveals an officer spotted a sole car parked in a park area known for drug activity. The officer could not see who was in the car due to the occupant being inside the car and the car having tinted windows. When he approached the car, the occupant, Mr. Arbery, got out. The officer asked Mr. Arbery for his ID. Within a minute and thirty seconds of the officer holding Mr. Arbery's license to check his background, Mr. Arbery said, "Nobody not even driving the car. What the fuck you coming over here for? The fuck you come over here and fuck with me for?" When the officer began to explain his purpose to Mr. Arbery, Mr. Arbery quickly changed his conduct, launched forward at the officer, crossing several feet to confront the officer, and threw out his arms. The officer had to put his arm out to stop Mr. Arbery from colliding with him. Mr. Arbery cursed the officer and then told the officer, "Bitch you hit me with that shit, bitch, you gonna be fucked up," This caused the officer to tell Mr. Arbery he was going to search him for weapons and a second officer to attempt to use a taser on Mr. Arbery. He was not arrested;

4. In June of 2018, 911 audio reveals Mr. Arbery's mother, Wanda Jones, called 911 due to Mr. Arbery's refusal to give Ms. Jones her car keys. She made the call from inside her car while Mr. Arbery stood outside her car. During her call to 911, she cautioned the operator that Mr. Arbery had a mental condition that had "escalated" over time. Additionally, Ms. Jones told the officer that Mr. Arbery might get violent with the officers due to his mental illness, if they were too confrontational with Mr. Arbery or tried to arrest him or take him into custody;

5. On August 21, 2018, Burke County witness reports and Burke County Office body cam video reveals Mr. Arbery was caught by a stay-athome mom who saw him in her backyard looking into the windows of her cars. She called police who found Mr. Arbery at his grandmother's residence. Police officers arrived to give Mr. Arbery a trespass warning about his conduct and behavior. When confronted by the officers about the eye-witness report, he lied said he had "gone running in the street," and then became aggressive, confrontational, and repeatedly threatened that he would "whip the officer's ass" if they didn't leave him alone. He was not arrested;

6. On October 23, 2018, Burke County reports and Burke County officer body cam video reveal Mr. Arbery and two juveniles were confronted in a vacant mobile home by the Burke County Sheriffs Office. Mr. Arbery ran when confronted by the authorities. He was later caught and lied, stating he was just out running, when asked about being in the mobile home. He was charged with misdemeanor obstruction for running when given lawful commands to stop;

7. On December 1, 2018, Glynn County officer body cam video reveals Mr. Arbery was arrested, charged, and later convicted for felony shoplifting by entering a store and attempting to steal a television;

8. In 2019 and 2020, witness interviews reveal Mr. Arbery was seen by his own neighbors, removing screen from windows and trying enter their homes through the windows. When confronted by the neighbors about his conduct and behavior, he appeared "nervous or agitated" and "trying to figure out where to go." Then he said he was interested in buy the house but "took off running." On the second occasion, the home owner observed Mr. Arbery trying to gain entrance through a door. They again tried to talk to Mr. Arbery but he would not speak or say anything, he simply ran away;

9. In 2019 and 2020/ local convenience store witness interviews reveal Mr. Arbery became known as "the jogger" for his repeated conduct and behavior of running up, stretching in front in, and then entering several convenience stores where he would grab items and run out before he could be caught; and

10. In 2020, witness cell phone video reveals Mr. Arbery was confronted at a convenience store by employees about his theft conduct and behavior, Mr. Arbery, cornered about his thefts, chose to fight a man who worked on location at the adjacent truck stop who tried to confront him about it.
Damn, I got tired from reading it.

Back
Top Bottom