• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breakdown In Civil Order

That's just regular crime, as tragic as it is. Breakdown of civil order is for example when a heavily armed violent mob takes over a city block for days and the mayor does nothing until a little girl is murdered.

And by the way, when a similarly crazy woman (Andrea Yates) drowned her kids in a bathtub, she received a lot of sympathy. Why not similar sympathy for this crazy man?

But simple one-step regression tells us that if it were otherwise - if white collar mega-theft was dealt with - then the wealth and income disparities that give rise to a huge percentage of the low level property theft and even murder and domestic abuse that IS prosecuted, could be mitigated.

Ok, run your regression. How does prosecuting more Bernie Madoffs mitigate violent crimes like these?
Woman and her dog are fatally stabbed in Atlanta park, FBI investigating
Man charged with kidnapping, killing of Atlanta bartender
3 Found Shot Dead as Atlanta Exceeds 100 Killings This Year
Atlanta police investigate deadly shooting at Buckhead restaurant, lounge
Teen arrested, 1 suspect still at large in fatal shooting during Atlanta brawl
1 dead, 1 injured in shooting outside busy Sandy Springs Kroger grocery store

We even have a grocery store nicknamed "Murder Kroger". And it's not even that Kroger!

That ONE financial fraudster was prosecuted means that ALL financial fraudsters are prosecuted? Is that your logic?
I did not say all are prosecuted. A 100% prosecution rate doesn't exist for any crime, so I don't get your point. My point was that Madoff was not only prosecuted, but received a very heavy sentence, amounting to life in prison without parole for all practical purposes. That is much harsher than even what many murderers get and certainly more than what violent robbers get.

The scope of his crimes would make a short sentence nonsensical. Anyway, since he was 71 years old when sentenced, it was doubtful he would have to serve the entire 150-year prison term.
A 150 year term is effectively life without parole even for younger defendants. In the federal system, there is no parole, and 85% of the sentence (127.5 years) would have to be served. That sentence shows that white collar crime is taken seriously, contrary to your claims.

(His sons were almost certainly also guilty, but got off scot-free.)
Are you saying the prosecutors ignored evidence that would have proven their guilt beyond a reasonable doubt? How did you get that evidence?

Prosecution of Madoff did not begin until AFTER his fraud became a public scandal! But ...
So?

Am I correct in guessing that all you read was the article's title? The author provided hard evidence.
I have limited time. And the minutia of the Madoff case are not really that relevant to the topic of this thread, which is breakdown in civil order.

The author was Matt Taibbi, an award-winning investigative journalist (and one of my favorites).
Ok, because he is one of your favorites, I will read the damn article. But not tonight. And, frankly, I do not see how it will change anything really. Madoff was prosecuted, and punished severely for what he did. Far more harshly than say Chesa Boudin's father David Gilbert who participated in a robbery that led to murder of three people - two police officers and a guard. Madoff never killed anybody directly nor indirectly. Gilbert, (Kathy) Boudin, Weems, Clark, Williams et al have. And yet, Madoff had to die in prison, while most of the deadly Brinks robbers have been released.

That is the point here, not Taibbi's minutia of the Madoff case. Violent criminals, terrorists even, as their crimes were politically motivated, get a pass from media and often from politicians too. Andrew Cuomo just released David Gilbert and several others like Boudin and Clark were released years ago.

TrillionS of dollars are stolen annually in financial crimes.
[citation needed]

Even if crimes of violence are the priority, financial crimes should get more attention than they're getting. (I just read that foreign-based criminals stole hundreds of billions in Covid benefits, "the largest financial crime in history." It isn't helpful that GOP legislators have consistently underfunded agencies investigating such frauds.)

I do not think these agencies should be underfunded. That said, violent crimes are far more serious than financial crimes. And way too often, they do not get the penalty they deserve for political reasons. Some, like bilby, want to pay those criminals in order that they maybe not do it again instead of imprisoning them.

So many things wrong here.
Really? Like what?
For one: authoritarians are not really about freedom. Whether they are on the right or left, they want to control what other people do with their lives.
No shit. That's not a rebuttal, it's you agreeing with me.
Bullshit! Your freedom is about how you live your life, it does not give you the right to destroy somebody else's property or to assault people etc.
I never said it did. I didn't mention property, nor assault.
Freedom and lawlessness are not the same thing!
Yes, they absolutely are. The only difference is perspective.
It's the American way!

In what way? Please elaborate?
Americans are not only hugely hypocritical in this regard, but they are incapable of understanding that they are. Just look at all the assumptions you read into my post - you're incapable of responding to what I wrote, and not to what you imagine I might have meant to write.

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
QFT.
Steve, Derec and every other right wing poster here will ignore the simple truth stated above.
QFL you mean? It is not a truth, but it is simplistic. So right up your alley!
He picked it.
There is no possible response, because it is simply re-phrasing what freedumb-loving conservatives keep saying ad nauseum.
I am not a conservative for a reason.
So you're a conservative for no reason?
The left and right fringes are actually rather similar.
Nope.
Proud Bois and January 6th rioters are no different than the #BLM and Antifa. They just wave different flags and mindlessly spout different idiotic slogans.
Sure. Keep telling yourself that. It's far easier than trying to understand anything.

Anything we deem too dangerous to make fully legal should be available to addicts by prescription and the law explicitly state that addiction is a valid reason for a prescription. England used to do that with heroin--and had very few addicts because of it.
From what I have read, that would be preferable to methadone. It also takes away one income stream to the drug traffickers.

But simple one-step regression tells us that if it were otherwise - if white collar mega-theft was dealt with - then the wealth and income disparities that give rise to a huge percentage of the low level property theft and even murder and domestic abuse that IS prosecuted, could be mitigated.

Ok, run your regression. How does prosecuting more Bernie Madoffs mitigate violent crimes like these?
Woman and her dog are fatally stabbed in Atlanta park, FBI investigating
Man charged with kidnapping, killing of Atlanta bartender
3 Found Shot Dead as Atlanta Exceeds 100 Killings This Year
Atlanta police investigate deadly shooting at Buckhead restaurant, lounge
Teen arrested, 1 suspect still at large in fatal shooting during Atlanta brawl
1 dead, 1 injured in shooting outside busy Sandy Springs Kroger grocery store

We even have a grocery store nicknamed "Murder Kroger". And it's not even that Kroger!

Derec providing us with a list of terrible things that have happened under the status quo, while arguing that we cannot change the status quo because terrible things like this will happen...

Anything we deem too dangerous to make fully legal should be available to addicts by prescription and the law explicitly state that addiction is a valid reason for a prescription. England used to do that with heroin--and had very few addicts because of it.
From what I have read, that would be preferable to methadone. It also takes away one income stream to the drug traffickers.

Yeah. Addiction is not a good thing but sometimes it's the lesser evil. And we respond harshly when we should be looking to taper off slowly.

Derec providing us with a list of terrible things that have happened under the status quo, while arguing that we cannot change the status quo because terrible things like this will happen...

No, I do not want the status quo of 2020/21. That status quo is characterized by hostility toward police not only among a segment of the population but also among the mayors and city councils in many cities, including Atlanta. Also among many fauxgressive DAs like Boudin, Krasner, Foxx or Garcon.
I want the status quo to change for the better, not worse.

By the way, the perp from the murder in that second link is DeMarcus Brinkley, who has a long criminal history.

Alleged killer of Atlanta bartender has long criminal history

CBS46 said:
CBS46 dug into Brinkley’s criminal history, which dates back to his time in high school, when police arrested him for stealing a teacher’s iPod. Following that, the reports indicate more serious offenses.
In 2012, police responded to a child molestation call. Another report in 2013 states officers were called in reference to Brinkley “trying to rape a 5-year-old female.”
Court documents show Brinkley was behind bars from 2013 to 2016 for a number of charges including aggravated child molestation.

Only three years for "aggravated child molestation" (a five year old, no less) with a perp with previous criminal record? Now, that's a status quo that needs to change. No wonder DeMarcus felt that he could get away with murder - literally.

define "good policy" in this instance - is the goal to reduce crime, or is the goal to mete out punishment for behavior you don't like?

Well first of all, it has to be feasible, which your proposal isn't.
Second, it's not about "behavior I don't like" it's about crimes such as theft and robbery that, yes, should be punished and not rewarded.

Now, you will no doubt be happy to know that Bill deBlowjob had a similar idea.
NYPD Mayor to pay criminals $1000 per month to not commit violence

Mind you, he is one of the worst of the 109 mayors NYC has had. And not even his plan is proposing giving away as much money as you and bilby want to give criminals.

if you genuinely are concerned about crime and feel that crime is an affliction of suffering on the innocent, wouldn't the most efficient means to stop that happening be the ideal solution?
i'd wager just giving every poor person 50k a year would be quite effective at reducing crime, and based on what i know of the cost of militarized police forces and the US prison and legal system would cost tax payers substantially less than the current paradigm.

Is it paying criminals or poor people now? Because those are separate proposals and both have their own problems. If you only pay criminals, you are basically rewarding crime.
If you are paying "every poor person" $50k, that quickly becomes prohibitively expensive - if there are ~30M people below the poverty line in the US, then paying each of them $50k would cost $1.5T each year. And giving every formerly poor person $50k would maybe eliminate some crimes, but hardly most of them. So you'd still need most of the police and prisons.

Besides, people who actually work for a living and make say $40k would be shafted. And what is to prevent them from quitting their jobs, becoming "poor", passing Go and collecting their $50k? So the ranks of the poor would swell up. As would inflation.

yes, and my argument is that is retarded. that is a pathetic, useless, and inefficient way to allocate resources.
They are not perfect, but they are far less retarded than your proposal.

there's absolutely no justifiable reason for there not to be a social hammock, given that we have such an excessive abundance of resources just laying around collecting dust.
We do?

speaking strictly about the US, if we had an economy and a society that didn't generate more resource wealth than is needed to provide every human living within our geographic borders with a comfortable lower middle class life, then there could be an argument that we just don't have the money to be handing out hammocks.
but we do have the ability to, and having the ability to means there's no sane argument against doing so except pure irrational psychopathy.
If everybody can rest on their social hammock, who will generate the economic activity to produce all those excess resources? You have succumbed to utopian thinking.

(btw 333 million * 45k = 14 trillion. US GDP is about 21 trillion)
So now you want the giveaway to everybody, not just the "poor" like you stated previously. Hard to keep up with all the versions of the proposal, as the original one was to give $35k to burglars and robbers so they don't burgle and rob any more (that one is similar to the Bill deBlowjob plan), but has since morphed to a universal giveaway.

So you really want government to give out a universal not-so-basic income worth 2/3 of the GDP? How? By having very high tax rates? And note that with that system there is no real incentive for most people to produce, so the GDP would not stay $21T but would shrink, if not in nominal terms then certainly in real terms. I.e. hyperinflation.

why not? it's cheaper than the way we do things now and likely far more effective at curtailing future errant behavior.
Because it rewards crime. And it would not even reduce crime. It is the basic idea that you get more of behaviors you reward. You pay robbers and thieves and you will get more robbery and thievery. Why shouldn't I steal something if, instead of being punished for it, I get a nice stipend out of it?

what difference does that make? is the goal to reduce crime, or is the goal to make you feel good that niggers are suffering for wanting shoes?
It's not about race, but nice of you to have revealed your racism so clearly.

B. spend less of a shitload of money on just giving them fancy shoes and meth so they don't need to commit crime in the first place.
Then they'll commit the crime to get something else. Like steal a car. Ok, give them a car too, you'd say. So why should anybody work for what they have if government will just give it to them if they try to steal it.

I am beginning to think you are Poeing me, but I am not sure. We live in a crazy time. If AOC and Cori Bush can be elected Congresswomen, you, a random poster on an Internet forum, could really be holding these ideas ...

so? if you look at the numbers, it varies wildly by state (from as little as about 20k a year in florida to 81k a year in california) to keep someone in prison for a year, with a national average of about 35k per year - factor in the legal system, court costs, the whole security apparatus around that, and the costs of the current militarized police force - it's about 115 billion a year, give or take.

And what percentage of those do you think you could eliminate with your stipend idea? Because it's not going to be most. Most crime is not even purely gain-motivated. And even those that are purely gain-motivated will not be satiated by you giving them a stipend, but will still do crimes to get even more stuff.

that's within spitting distance of just giving out 45k a year to anyone who isn't getting that much on their own, and i still argue (and you have yet to refute so perhaps you agree with me on this) that it would be far more effective at reducing crime than the current system of punishment after the fact.
It would not reduce crime and it would not be cheaper either.

if their kids want to do a job that pays more than that, then they can stop getting it i suppose.
i'm in favor of a minimum standard of living for all persons of adult age, full stop.
so, their kids.... your kids, my kids, whoever's kids.

So nobody should work a job that pays less than your stipend? And why work 40 hours a week for $55k when you can get $45k form Uncle Sam for working 0 hours. It would discourage work, other than black market work, i.e. work and still get the stipend. It would also necessitate a VERY high level of taxation, deficit spending or money printing.

mind, i'm saying '45k' as shorthand here - i've got a whole economic thesis on this which i'm not bothering to lay out because it's beyond the scope of this thread.
Oh, boy. A thesis. I would love to see the belly laughs of economics professors if you ever tried to present a defense of your "thesis".

more accurately it should be "the entry point for being comfortably lower middle class", and however much that costs for the region one lives in.
Which would of course keep increasing with the runaway inflation.

i'd say 45k is a pretty good number for living here in denver - it's not enough to really save much if you live by yourself, but it's absolutely enough to live by yourself and cover your bills and have what i'd consider an acceptable amount of disposable income.
you wouldn't need to give someone 45k a year living in buttsweat alabama, and would probably need to give a bit more for seattle or new york, but my point is that the US has the economic resource to provide everyone with a minimum standard of living with no negative consequence to its economy.
No, you can't.

removing the circumstances that lead to crime in the first place is a vastly more effective way of preventing crime than a system of punishment for crime after it's been committed.
so no, that argument really doesn't work.

So you are saying this guy killed a man because Uncle Sam did not give him his $45k in "free" money?
A South Beach tourist was shot to death. Suspect told police he was ‘high on mushrooms.’
I guess we should just give him more money and make him promise not to do it again instead of locking him up.

i consider 'crowd control gear' to be military gear, because it's gear suited for military applications.
No it is not. No military would use that gear against another military. It would only be used to control riots by a civilian population.
Btw, tear gas is not even legal for war, but it is legal for civilian crowd control.

the police are supposed to be a civil service and protection organization, not an enforcement arm of the state or land owners.
The are law enforcement, which means they are there to enforce the law. Any unjust laws are the fault of the lawmakers, btw.

As to "land owners", as you said one purpose of police is to protect. Including property of people you despise. If a violent mob is looting and vandalizing businesses, it is the role of police to control the crowd and apprehend the criminals.

if there's a riot, the best way to stop the riot would be to address the issues that are causing the riot.
So January 6th rioters should not have been arrested and prosecuted? Their issues should be addressed how exactly?
Or does this only apply to left wing rioters like #BLM and Antifa?

short of that, deploy the national guard - that's why the national guard exists.
the police should not be involved in that.
Of course they should, whenever necessary. National Guard should be deployed if local police cannot handle the riot by themselves.

you could not possibly find a way to come up with an offer large enough to bribe me into giving less fucks about your assinine hobby horse bullshit, nor your hit list of personal boner killers, so save yourself the time and bother.
Huh?

i get the sense that the overwhelmingly vast majority of crime is investigated after the fact, it is almost never stopped during the commission - though i'll confess up front my attempts to research this came up short, so i can't verify it for certain.
(if you can find any studies on the number of instances stopped mid-act vs. investigated and/or pursued after the fact i'd be quite interested in that data)

I agree most crimes are investigated after the fact although police presence can have a deterrent effect. But if you don't investigate after the fact or if the prosecutor refuses to prosecute cases, that gives the criminals a carte blanche to do it again and again.

This misapprehension amongst robbers and thieves about how policing works is shared by stupid non-criminals too, who assume that more cops on the beat would automatically mean less crime.
If the robbers and thieves think that, then more cops on the beat will deter them. Also, more cops means shorter response times and also that you can mobilize more cops in emergencies, be it natural emergencies, terrorism or yet another riot.
Lastly, defunding police means reducing the number of detectives and other resources as well, which would impede clearance rates for crimes.

The fact is that highly visible policing has very little effect on crime; It can be effective in locally reducing crime in the small areas, but it just pushes the crime into the surrounding, less over-patrolled, areas instead.
Well, if these areas are those that attract a lot of tourists, then that alone is a win for the city.
But anyway, [citation needed] that more police presence does not reduce overall crime rate.

If you want a general reduction in crime, it needs to be made unattractive. And the only demonstrated way to do that is to improve the lives of potential criminals, so that they have proportionally less to gain and more to lose by robbery or theft.
So we are back to rewarding robbers and thieves instead of punishing them?

If it costs $34,000/yr to keep someone in jail, then it's worth paying them up to that sum to not offend.
No, it is not. You will either have to pay people who already offended, in which case you reward crime and thus crime will increase (why should I not rob and steal if the government will pay me $34k per year for it instead of locking me up?) or you make it more universal, but then it costs a lot more than prisons because you pay a lot more people.

That's equivalent to a full time (40 hour per week) $17/hr job. You could pay people half of that ($325/wk) as a UBI, fully funded by a tiny increase in income taxation, and see crime plummet.
UBI means universal. So you are not paying just the offenders, but everybody. 320M*$17k is over half a trillion dollars. Federal income taxes, individual and corporate, bring in just over $1.8T. A 30% increase is hardly "tiny". And the effect on crime of such a UBI would be modest at best. Even with extra $17k there are still wants not covered by that. And much crime is not purely based on monetary gain. When a banger does a drive-by, there is no profit in it. When a guy with a long rap sheet kidnaps and murders a bartender, there is no profit motive in it. So how would a $17k giveaway deter that?

Legalise and commercialise all drugs, and you could raise the tax to pay that UBI from that new industry using taxes similar to those currently levied on alcohol and nicotine.
I doubt it would be anywhere near the needed $540G, but a good idea in principle. Also legalize adult consensual sex work while you're at it. Of course, that will be met by opposition by the illiberal feminists.

When what you're currently doing clearly isn't working, calling for more of it is just insanity.
But it was working. What isn't working is these fauxgressive prosecutors being soft on crime. And governors commuting sentences of murderers and terrorists on their last day in office.

because humans have a diseased global cultural attitude that there is no such thing as 'enough'
So why do you and bilby think giving some "free" money to thieves and robbers will be enough for them and make them not want to rob and steal more?

No, I do not want the status quo of 2020/21.

This would indicate that you think the status quo with regard to policing changed immediately prior to, or at the onset of 2020/21. Please elucidate regarding this change in the policing status quo in Atlanta, specifically regarding how reallocation of funds from policing to mental health initiatives in Atlanta led to the change. Please further explain how a news report about a criminal who was in and out of the system for nearly a decade prior to 2020/21 is an indictment of this perceived very recent change in the status quo.

You decry criminality and the way it has been handled by the system for years, but you rail against any change to that system. It makes very little sense to me, but perhaps your answers to the above questions will shed some light on things.

Well first of all, it has to be feasible, which your proposal isn't.
how so?
it's perfectly within financial reason - the amount we spend on police militarization and the prison system is enough that it could be converted into free money for the poor to fund my notion.
what's the part that isn't feasible?

Second, it's not about "behavior I don't like" it's about crimes such as theft and robbery that, yes, should be punished and not rewarded.
that is the definition of "behavior you don't like" considering you have a solid and consistent posting history of either being indifferent to or openly supporting criminal activity - you just pick and choose what 'crime' you decide gets your hackles up.

Now, you will no doubt be happy to know that Bill deBlowjob had a similar idea.
NYPD Mayor to pay criminals $1000 per month to not commit violence
that is not even remotely a similar idea, and i don't know if you know that and are trying to come across as an idiot, or if the two are actually equivalent in your mind.

Is it paying criminals or poor people now? Because those are separate proposals and both have their own problems. If you only pay criminals, you are basically rewarding crime.
the overwhelmingly vast majority of the type of crime that you shit your pants over is done by a particular socio-economic class (the poor), and the reasons that it happens is because a myriad of issues inherent to that socio-economic class - issues both in how our culture is structured in terms of values and philosophy, and in terms of how it treats those people in comparison to others within our society.

so in this specific tangent the two are pretty much synonymous, since at issue is the crime that happens when people are poor.

having said all that... here's my basic premise:
assumption A: there is a minimum standard of living wherein nearly all humans existing within that standard will be pretty content with their lot. they will not experience a material or existential lack of access to goods or services, and will not experience a cultural anger at their inability to acquire goods or services which are outside of their economic means, but simultaneously marketed as an important aspect of their cultural existence.
(for example and being extremely simplistic: if culture makes a pair of nike shoes morally equivalent to personal virtue, and then puts the nike shoes outside of your capacity to acquire them within the confines of your economic system, this creates an impetus to go outside of your economic system to get the nike shoes... IE, crime)

assumption B: in my personal experience, this is around the equivalent of 50k per year based on the cost of living in Denver, Colorado - that's where i've spent most of my life and so my concept of how money you need to live a reasonable first world life is based on conditions here. the number would be lower in say Kalispell, Montana where you could probably have the same equivalent lifestyle on 25k-30k, or higher for one of the coastal cities.

assumption C: if everyone has the minimum standard of living from assumption A, which assumes both the economic resources to cover all basic necessities (housing, food, utilities including internet and phone, medical, transportation, misc "walking around" money, and personal savings) then the impetus to commit petty crime will effectively vanish.
petty crime happens when you spend your life having to choose between getting to have a nice thing you want and getting to keep your apartment, and people get fed up with it.
remove the social construct that leads to this situation in the first place and you remove the situation.

assumption D: the cost of providing anyone who has less than this minimum standard of living with a pay check that gives them this minimum standard of living is within the means of our national resources.

if you have a substantive disagreement with any of those assumptions, please feel free to note them. however, bleating "it's not feasible" and making unsound and illogical comparisons to thoroughly incomparable city experiments is not doing so.

If you are paying "every poor person" $50k, that quickly becomes prohibitively expensive
i'd quibble that '50k' is actually variable per region but i didn't really specifically explain that until this post so i'll let it stand, but it's also entirely beside the point because i completely disagree with the characterization of it being "prohibitively" expensive.
it's expensive, sure - all social programs are, by their definition. but not unreasonably so.

if there are ~30M people below the poverty line in the US, then paying each of them $50k would cost $1.5T each year.
ok, and? i'm not seeing the problem here.

And giving every formerly poor person $50k would maybe eliminate some crimes, but hardly most of them. So you'd still need most of the police and prisons.
i both disagree with your assumption here and find that the data disagrees with your assumption as well.

since we're talking about "street crime" which is your obsession in this case, there are a number of factors to consider.
firstly, to ensure we're on the same page, you seem quite pre-occupied with this kind of crime:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_crime

street crime exists because it's a quick turn-around short term economic boost to the individual - somebody steals from a store, or mugs someone, or burgles a house, in order to get a small amount of economic resource quickly.
house robbers and thieves are looking to get small infusions of cash for immediate needs: either basic necessities like food or rent money, or cultural needs like a pleasure item that marketing and peer pressure informs them that they must have, but can't afford.
street criminals do not mug folks in alleys or steal your stereo out of your car to fund their commodities exchange habit, or to amass the wealth for another yacht.
street crime is always about the lack of ability to maintain a basic minimum standard of living.
if you eliminate the the inability to maintain a basic standard of living, you eliminate the need to use crime as a stop-gap to cover shortfalls.

sure, if a program were instituted nation-wide tomorrow you'd still have A. people committing crime because they like it or are excessively greedy, B. people committing crime because they're maladjusted either physically or emotionally, and C. people who are just nuts.
but, petty crime would practically vanish overnight and within a generation (say 40 years) the cultural iconography of crime would go away along with the romanticizing of it.
take away the need to commit crime to survive and take away the cultural factors that glorify crime and that is how you eliminate crime from a society before it happens.

Besides, people who actually work for a living and make say $40k would be shafted. And what is to prevent them from quitting their jobs, becoming "poor", passing Go and collecting their $50k? So the ranks of the poor would swell up. As would inflation.
well i'd say if you work and make 40k you're making under the minimum standard so you should be getting money anyways, so that's not an issue to me.
as for inflation swelling up, well... it probably would, because the entirety of the concept of economy is built from the ground up to benefit the wealthy at the exclusion of all else, so the system as it stands would indeed react negatively to people who aren't wealthy gaining economic advantage.
i'd say that would be a problem that just needs to be weathered until reality forces the lie that is US economic policy to adjust, or else get ahead of it and regulate it as part of the original initiative.

They are not perfect, but they are far less retarded than your proposal.
nope, you're wrong about that.

yes, we do.
in the US alone we have trillions and trillions of dollars sitting around doing absolutely nothing.

If everybody can rest on their social hammock, who will generate the economic activity to produce all those excess resources? You have succumbed to utopian thinking.
not in the least, at least not rhetorically.
ok so there are no stats on this because it's never happened, so for the purposes of a hypothetical discussion that we're having i'm falling on anecdotal evidence which i confess up front is weak. but, it's literally all that we have for this since no stats or data in the real world exists.

it is my opinion based on anecdotal evidence for the people i've known in my life across a broad swath of socio-economic strata that if everyone were given the resources required to live a minimum first world existence, most people would choose to work in some capacity anyways.
not all of them, but *most* people i know could not live within a moderate lower middle class means without going totally batshit insane within a couple weeks out of boredom and listlessness.
i've had this conversation with basically everyone i know and perhaps 1 out of every 10 people will end up stating confidently that they could never work again and kinda chill out at home without much money and be OK with that for the rest of their life.

so i have no reason to think that in the event of a "social hammock" that economic activity would cease.
you'd probably see a vast shift in the lower rungs of the economic ladder - for example the food service industry in general and big box retail outlets both have a business model that is specifically predicated on exploitation of those who are desperate and have no other options to prevent homelessness, so i'd expect those sectors to either collapse and not exist anymore or have to change quite a bit from what we know of them in order to continue existing.
and i don't consider that to be an issue - one thing i know about you from your posting history is that if you had your druthers, you'd make it legally required for every business that exists to make profit at all times, and that if a business was flagging people should be forced at gun point to frequent that business to support it.
but personally, i don't give a shit if a store manages to stay open or not, and don't think that anyone or anything is entitled to profit simply because they wish they could have it.

So now you want the giveaway to everybody, not just the "poor" like you stated previously. Hard to keep up with all the versions of the proposal, as the original one was to give $35k to burglars and robbers so they don't burgle and rob any more (that one is similar to the Bill deBlowjob plan), but has since morphed to a universal giveaway.
the point was that it doesn't matter if you only give to some qualified bottom rung of society or to everyone universally - we have the excess resource to cover it at the most comprehensive, so it only gets easier from there.

So you really want government to give out a universal not-so-basic income worth 2/3 of the GDP?
two completely absurd and false implications in this sentence.
firstly, i want civilization to fulfill its function of increasing the standard of living of everyone living within it - that is the purpose of civilization in the first place, and if it fails to do that it is failing in its most basic reason for existing.
i want civilization to fulfill its function because that is how you maintain social order and stability, that is how you guarantee the long term viability of a capitalist economic structure.
having a systemically downtrodden underclass in an opulent society has always, ALWAYS resulted in the upper class being mass executed and the fabric of society going through massive upheaval.
there are zero incidents in the recorded history of the human species where this hasn't happened, and as a member of the white land owning male class i'd prefer not to be one of the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

so calling it a "not-so-basic" standard of living is absurd and idiotic. in this country, the most economically wealthy in the history of the human species, we have the spare resource laying around in the couch cushions to raise everyone to a minimum standard of living, which would both improve upon our social model as well as ensure its long term survivability.
that's what i want.

secondly, if it means giving away 2/3rd of the GDP... fuck it, sure why not, what the fuck else are we going to do with it?

How? By having very high tax rates?
"taxes" seems very antiquated in this context, but i suppose it's the closest there is to a system which facilitates this sort of thing, so why not.

And note that with that system there is no real incentive for most people to produce, so the GDP would not stay $21T but would shrink, if not in nominal terms then certainly in real terms. I.e. hyperinflation.
i fundamentally disagree with the assertion that losing the ability to horde literally all the money would mean that nobody would ever want to make any money.

i would posit two assertions:
1. there is a point at which for all practical purposes one has more money than makes any difference, where having more no longer makes any actual difference to their life.
2. as a society we can choose that it is our value that the excess money sits in their bank account and does nothing, or we can choose to utilize that money for the benefit for civilization.

if we were to softcap personal wealth, it wouldn't stop people from being psychotics who scramble to amass more, or to generate more.
i think that you have a valid point in that if we had a universal standard of living for everyone, enough people might opt out of the economic system that the whole thing collapses.
but i also think that i have a valid point that they might not.
and the thing is, nobody has ever tried it to find out, so it's purely hypothetical anyways.

Because it rewards crime.
no it doesn't, it removes the circumstances that leads to people feeling compelled to commit crime in the first place.

And it would not even reduce crime.
yes it would.

It is the basic idea that you get more of behaviors you reward. You pay robbers and thieves and you will get more robbery and thievery. Why shouldn't I steal something if, instead of being punished for it, I get a nice stipend out of it?
it is the basic idea that you get less of behaviors that have no functional purpose to exist.
you give people without resources access to resources, and instead of stealing to get the things they want they can now just buy them.
why should i steal something if, instead of being without resources and desperate, i have the resources available to me to purchase it?

It's not about race, but nice of you to have revealed your racism so clearly.
you are one ironically hilarious individual.

Then they'll commit the crime to get something else. Like steal a car. Ok, give them a car too, you'd say. So why should anybody work for what they have if government will just give it to them if they try to steal it.
why should anybody work, period?
but yes, i would indeed say that giving everyone access to a moderate lower middle class american life is the solution to basically all the causes of petty street crime.

And what percentage of those do you think you could eliminate with your stipend idea?
most, for sure.

Because it's not going to be most. Most crime is not even purely gain-motivated.
this is demonstrably false.
not *all* crime is gain motivated, but most street crime and most white collar crime is.
the very definition of a crime that is perpetuated in order to attain gains is that it is gain motivated, what are you even thinking here?

And even those that are purely gain-motivated will not be satiated by you giving them a stipend, but will still do crimes to get even more stuff.
well that may be - this would be true IF the compulsion to commit low level crime is not motivated by a lack of economic flexibility, but both my personal anecdotal experience and the crime stats pretty strongly suggest that crime of that variety is indeed due to that.
"get more stuff" gratuitously and for its own sake seems to largely be a product of the upper class. it's rich people who psychotically never accept enough as enough and commit any and every crime they can in order to claw out another few cents.

it's my experience that most people, if given enough resource to be able to reasonably acquire any trinket that catches their attention within their socioeconomic station, will be perfectly content with what they have and what they can get and not spend all their time obsessing over the next thing that is just out of their reach.

It would not reduce crime and it would not be cheaper either.
yes it would, and yes it would.

So nobody should work a job that pays less than your stipend?
nobody in the US should have a standard of living lower than that.
whether one works a job or not should be up to the individual.

And why work 40 hours a week for $55k when you can get $45k form Uncle Sam for working 0 hours.
why indeed.

It would discourage work, other than black market work, i.e. work and still get the stipend. It would also necessitate a VERY high level of taxation, deficit spending or money printing.
yes, it would discourage work, which is a good thing. 'work' is a soul crushing, humanity destroying abomination and finding a way to eliminate it should be the primary goal of the entirety of the human race.
but i also don't think it would actually reduce participation in the workforce by as much as you predict, though i'd concede it would result in an economically catastrophic reduction in labor for the kinds of jobs that no human should ever be subjected to in the first place, IE. retail or food services.
and that would change society a bit i'd imagine, and that's OK.

No, you can't.
yes, you can.

So you are saying this guy killed a man because Uncle Sam did not give him his $45k in "free" money?
A South Beach tourist was shot to death. Suspect told police he was ‘high on mushrooms.’
I guess we should just give him more money and make him promise not to do it again instead of locking him up.
if you want to try to make the argument that every single time any crime or otherwise 'anti-social' behavior is engaged upon that it is always for the exact same psychological and external factor reason, you are welcome to go ahead do that but i'd find it one of the dumbest thing ever uttered out loud.
otherwise, i'll do you the courtesy of pretending you didn't post something so stupendously disingenuous and benightedly stupid.

No it is not. No military would use that gear against another military. It would only be used to control riots by a civilian population.
yes it is. it is gear the military used against civilian populations, and then started handing down to the police force.

The are law enforcement, which means they are there to enforce the law. Any unjust laws are the fault of the lawmakers, btw.
true, but that's... a whole other conversation that is outside the scope.

As to "land owners", as you said one purpose of police is to protect. Including property of people you despise.
wait, why are we talking about the property of wiggers and evangelicals? how did that come into this?

If a violent mob is looting and vandalizing businesses, it is the role of police to control the crowd and apprehend the criminals.
it's also the role of the police to protect people from domestic abuse, to enforce the law fairly and evenly, to advocate for all citizens equally, and to protect and serve the community.
they fail horribly at most of those things most of the time, so i don't see how failing to prevent looting or vandalizing is really any different.

So January 6th rioters should not have been arrested and prosecuted? Their issues should be addressed how exactly?
Or does this only apply to left wing rioters like #BLM and Antifa?
i mean that's changing the goal posts rather suddenly, but sure - the best way to deal with the january 6th riot would be to have corrected the issue that caused it to happen in the first place.
also not sure where this 'not have been arrested and prosecuted' bit is coming from since it's both apropos of nothing and in no way consistent with any of my opinions, but sure.
(don't make the mistake of thinking i'm any of the other posters here and blanket accusing me of positions i don't have, or else this is going to devolve into you dick-jousting with your own imagination)

Of course they should, whenever necessary. National Guard should be deployed if local police cannot handle the riot by themselves.
yes, police should not handle a riot, and thus can't handle a riot, and thus the national guard should be deployed.

bringing politicians into a conversation with me in an incredibly ineffective waste of your time.

I agree most crimes are investigated after the fact although police presence can have a deterrent effect. But if you don't investigate after the fact or if the prosecutor refuses to prosecute cases, that gives the criminals a carte blanche to do it again and again.
mind you, as pointed out in this thread - the deterrent effect is only in the specific area with an increase police presence, as it just pushes the crime elsewhere. that isn't solving the problem, it's just moving it around.

because humans have a diseased global cultural attitude that there is no such thing as 'enough'
So why do you and bilby think giving some "free" money to thieves and robbers will be enough for them and make them not want to rob and steal more?
because thieves and robbers thieve and rob out of lack of economic flexibility and not because it's a sustainable economic model.

because thieves and robbers thieve and rob out of lack of economic flexibility and not because it's a sustainable economic model.

I just want to also reiterate that the us vs. them right wing authoritarian world view is also not sustainable and is not remotely conducive to the peace and well being of a few hundred million humans much less a tribe of seven billion.

Also, everyone should read prideandfall's previous post, post #154.

Poverty doesn’t cause crime. Too many counterfactuals.

well it certainly doesn't cause white collar crime, but it most definitely is a huge contributing factor to street crime.
it's not just a direct one-to-one correlation of a lack of money, but that in combination with a variety of cultural pressures and survival mechanisms at play when living inside of a decadent system that you're denied access to.

it doesn't take more than 8 seconds of research to find that "street crime" is far more prevalent in socioeconomically depressed areas, and that offenders of "street crime" are overwhelmingly within the lower socioeconomic class.
this doesn't address violent crime, spree crime, or "joy" crime but that isn't within the scope of this specific discussion so isn't relevant.

Last edited:
I earnestly hope that old-school cold war type "this is my country!" confederate-loving white people stay in the fight for America. My only gripe is they need to quit worrying about the Black, Chinese, Arab and Mexican boogieman. America needed allies from the start and always will. Want to avoid a breakdown in civil order? Lead by example by consistently treating folks in a civil manner while kicking ass. Pussies with megaphones like Shawn Hannity & Don Lemon shouldn't have a job so as to stop coercing the woke & January 6th herp derps into thinking it's that easy.

Your police are out of control because you never gave a fuck what they do to people "not like you", so they are used to it and have recently forgotten who gave them that power. If you'd stop for a moment and looked you'd see that the same is happening in every branch of your government as well as what's coming next. But you won't. You're too focused on those "not like you" protesting, looting & occupying a grain of sand on the beach, and some other cold-war or Israel-related bullshit. I'll give you a hint, Rome like. Ignorance with a deadly sprinkle of no love for the constitution and what it represents. Black people (most of us) and all others are ready to fight for America once more. By your side this time or against you again.

End rant.

well it certainly doesn't cause white collar crime, but it most definitely is a huge contributing factor to street crime.
it's not just a direct one-to-one correlation of a lack of money, but that in combination with a variety of cultural pressures and survival mechanisms at play when living inside of a decadent system that you're denied access to.

it doesn't take more than 8 seconds of research to find that "street crime" is far more prevalent in socioeconomically depressed areas, and that offenders of "street crime" are overwhelmingly within the lower socioeconomic class.
this doesn't address violent crime, spree crime, or "joy" crime but that isn't within the scope of this specific discussion so isn't relevant.

Crime causes poverty. Come on, the must vulnerable to crime are the poor. They can least sustain property loss or physical harm. One burglary or armed robbery and they’re out. If you want to help the poor, fight crime. And most people - regardless of income - do not commit crime. My reading is that 1% of people commit most of the crime. Think of all the news reports where the perp has a long rap sheet. To use kid gloves on criminals because it fits some social justice flimflam only punishes the poor.

Back
Top Bottom