• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breakdown In Civil Order

On the other side of the country, the new Manhattan DA is downgrading armed robbery to shoplifting.

Robbery Charge Reduced Under New Manhattan DA's Reform Policies: Sources

NBC New York said:
Investigators say another armed robbery case in Manhattan has been reduced to a charge of shoplifting by the new Manhattan district attorney.

Investigators say this time it was a suspect who wielded a pocketknife while stealing about $2,000 worth of cold medicine from a Duane Reade along Delancey Street in Lower Manhattan over the weekend. Video from inside the store shows the manager who was allegedly threatened by the suspect.

Police arrested 43-year-old William Rolon, saying it was the second time he hit the store — and his 39th arrest overall. But instead of charging Rolon with robbery, sources said prosecutors dropped the charges to petit larceny – a misdemeanor – even though the manager told police she was terrified.

Stealing $2k in cold medicine (which will be used to make meth no doubt) should have been grand larceny under New York law even if no force had been used. This new "progressive" era is truly a great time to be a thug in America!

On the other side of the country, the new Manhattan DA is downgrading armed robbery to shoplifting.

Robbery Charge Reduced Under New Manhattan DA's Reform Policies: Sources

NBC New York said:
Investigators say another armed robbery case in Manhattan has been reduced to a charge of shoplifting by the new Manhattan district attorney.

Investigators say this time it was a suspect who wielded a pocketknife while stealing about $2,000 worth of cold medicine from a Duane Reade along Delancey Street in Lower Manhattan over the weekend. Video from inside the store shows the manager who was allegedly threatened by the suspect.

Police arrested 43-year-old William Rolon, saying it was the second time he hit the store — and his 39th arrest overall. But instead of charging Rolon with robbery, sources said prosecutors dropped the charges to petit larceny – a misdemeanor – even though the manager told police she was terrified.

Stealing $2k in cold medicine (which will be used to make meth no doubt) should have been grand larceny under New York law even if no force had been used. This new "progressive" era is truly a great time to be a thug in America!
You don't know that he was going to make meth with all that cold medicine. Perhaps he has a large extended family with the sniffles, and the family is too broke to be able to pay for it. Its just like with all the high volume laundry detergent thefts. Haters always assume the worst in people and assume its going to be resold on the black market for cash rather than to clean the large volumes of dirty clothes these poor working class people generate at their coal mining and sewer cleaning jobs.

Sheriff Villanueva has played a blinder here;

Four people are expected to appear in federal court Friday in connection with the robbery and murder of off-duty LAPD officer Fernando Arroyos. Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva handed the case to federal authorities, bypassing L.A. County District Attorney George Gascón.

News

The city of Beverly Hills has joined the effort to recall Gascon.

story about the rise in looting of freight cars. The thieves boast that there are no consequences

A 70-year-old nurse died Sunday among her colleagues at the hospital where she had worked for nearly four decades, succumbing to injuries suffered days earlier in an attack by a homeless man while waiting for a bus near Union Station to make her morning commute. Sandra Shells was attacked about 5:15 a.m. Thursday near Vignes Street and Cesar Chavez Avenue, a short distance from Union Station, as she waited to catch a bus to her job at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

News

While the homeless are allowed to build their encampments where they like, this type of thing will continue. I haven't been to that area for a about three years but the homeless were very noticeable around Union Station and Olvera Street.

Another death where the perp is probably a drugged up transient;

A 24-year-old woman was stabbed to death Thursday afternoon while working at a Hancock Park furniture store, and Los Angeles police said the killer remains at large. Brianna Kupfer was working alone inside the Croft House furniture store in the 300 block of North La Brea Avenue when a man entered the store, attacked her and stabbed her to death, said Det. Herman Frettlohr of the Los Angeles Police Department.

LA Times

Way to go Newsom and Garcetti !

I can't help but also ask whether this rise in crime is commensurate per Capita.

So, to imagine the recently reference freight robberies, we are also doing orders of magnitude more movement of freight.

We have more mosquitoes on the elephant, but if the elephant is a hundred times bigger and the mosquitoes are only 5x bigger and there are only 25% more mosquitoes...

Is it really "more" of a problem? To me it seems LESS a problem..

Another death where the perp is probably a drugged up transient;

A 24-year-old woman was stabbed to death Thursday afternoon while working at a Hancock Park furniture store, and Los Angeles police said the killer remains at large. Brianna Kupfer was working alone inside the Croft House furniture store in the 300 block of North La Brea Avenue when a man entered the store, attacked her and stabbed her to death, said Det. Herman Frettlohr of the Los Angeles Police Department.

LA Times

Way to go Newsom and Garcetti !
The corrupt Los Angeles Police department should be eliminated for not assuming that this attack was not specifically related to the Jewish Community.

A 70-year-old nurse died Sunday among her colleagues at the hospital where she had worked for nearly four decades, succumbing to injuries suffered days earlier in an attack by a homeless man while waiting for a bus near Union Station to make her morning commute. Sandra Shells was attacked about 5:15 a.m. Thursday near Vignes Street and Cesar Chavez Avenue, a short distance from Union Station, as she waited to catch a bus to her job at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

News

While the homeless are allowed to build their encampments where they like, this type of thing will continue. I haven't been to that area for a about three years but the homeless were very noticeable around Union Station and Olvera Street.
While your society continues to refuse to help people who are in need out of a stupid political and economic stance that pretends their problems aren't your problems, they will continue to cause you problems, and you will continue to lay the blame for these problems you are causing on irrelevant issues such as the particular locations that homeless people choose to live; Or the inadequate security measures that are intended to conceal the problems (or at least relocate them onto neighbours less able to afford hired thugs).

You broke it. You need to fix it. But once again you call for the problems to be swept further under the rug this time, as though that approach wasn't irrational and insane.

Adam Lee on Twitter: "Cops are pretending that criminal-justice reform is preventing them from doing anything about actual, serious crime." / Twitter
noting a long Twitter thread:
Scott Hechinger on Twitter: "THREAD: ..." / Twitter
THREAD: This is a story about how police are frontline propagandists. It starts with a violent robbery at a men’s clothing store in Manhattan. It ends w/ NYPD responding, but refusing to investigate. Then lying that no one would face any consequences bc of “reform.” Read on:

A few weeks ago, a men's clothing store in Manhattan was victimized by numerous young men who, according the owners, stole $20,000 of merchandise. And worse: punched a 61 year old employee in the face. It was the second time the store had suffered similar theft recently.

The owners called NYPD both times. Both times NYPD came after the young men had left. The second time, however, one of the young men left his cell phone behind. Even apparently called it to retrieve it. The holy grail of evidence. A way for cops to catch them, right? Wrong.

Here's where the story turns from tragic to sinister. The owners called the responding cops "professional & sympathetic." But they lied to them. First, they lied they couldn't use the phone bc of "privacy laws." Despite ample justification to undercut constitutional protections.

Never in my nearly decade of public defense did the Constitution ever stop cops from acting even when the Constitution plainly prohibited their actions. Cops know their word will never be challenged & even if it is, judges will give a pass. More on this:
Opinion | How Mandatory Minimums Enable Police Misconduct - The New York Times - "They drastically limit accountability for those with the power to take away a person’s liberty."

t gets worse. NYPD didn't just lie they couldn't search for or arrest the suspects. They lied that even if caught, they'd face no consequences. Because of "bail reform" & new Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg's wildly misinterpreted policy memo. Storeowners were understandably horrified.

This was the last straw for the storeowners. After being bombarded w/ years of police-planted propaganda, fear & falsehoods tying bail reform to fictional "surges," personally surviving violence, then being told by NYPD it was bc of reform, they spoke out.
NYC shopkeeper robbed twice by marauding bandits

Confronted both w/ traumatic experiences & brazen lies by the NYPD, it's understandable these storeowners would speak out, in anger & resolve, against commonsense & remarkably successful reforms in NY. Misinformation is as much a tragedy as the violent robbery. So here are facts:

The offense & actions the storeowners described is Robbery in the Second Degree. A class C violent felony. Each individual would face minimum 3.5 years in prison. Max 15. Under NY Penal Law 160.10(2)(a). Bail reform doesn't touch this case. Alvin Bragg's memo doesn't come close.

It is FALSE Manhattan DA Bragg's new policy memo forecloses prosecution of these violent felonies. Or comes close to *condoning them*. He'd prosecute this case as a violent robbery. His prosecutors would request bail. Here’s a direct link to his policy: DANY Letterhead - Day-One-Letter-Policies-1.03.2022.pdf

So much lying out there about Bragg "condoning commercial armed robbery!" Minor changes relate only to cases involving no "genuine risk of physical harm." In this case, someone was ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY HARMED. Even just *threatening* the act would've qualify as a C-violent felony.

The carve out in Bragg’s policy is for outrageous cases that already ordinarily end in misdemeanors or dismissals like when a single person puts their finger under their shirt pretending to have a gun. If any object (even a water bottle) could cause harm, it could be charged.

Only other change in Bragg's memo re: commercial crimes relates to outrageous practice of charging someone w/ a "violent burglary" for simple theft only bc a store's connected to a building w/ residences as well. Bragg'd still charge these as non-violent felonies. Up to 4 years.

Bragg’s policy also doesn't rule out bail or incarceration for any crime. And carceral sentences would be based on a "holistic analysis of the facts" including "victim's input (particularly in cases of violence or trauma)." Which fits the storeowner's case as well.

To reiterate: In the case the storeowners described, these individuals could & would be charged w/ a C-violent robbery under Penal section 160.10, likely be caged on Rikers pretrial on unaffordable bail, & face up to between 15 years in prison. What cops called "no consequences."

The experience of the storeowners sounds harrowing & horrifying. Only made worse by the fact the NYPD both refused to help & also lied to them. Lied blatantly, as theyre doing in NYC & around the country to make people feel less safe & call to roll back criminal justice reforms.
Like the LA train robberies?

Scott Hechinger on Twitter: "Ill end here for now. ..." / Twitter
Ill end here for now. More policing is not the answer. Continued harsh prosecutions aren't the answer. More people caged is not the answer. How do we know this? This story underscores why. Read on:

We spend $11 billion on policing that did nothing to prevent the crime described by the storeowners. $11 billion to fail/refuse to solve crime. That's not the storeowners' fault. That's not "reform's" fault. That's an epic failure of policing as a health & safety strategy.

Even worse: The $11 billion NYPD LIED. Lied that there's "nothing" they could do. That "nothing" would happen. They did this knowingly. They want to make people feel less safe, to fearmonger, & lie about reforms in order to get people to support doubling down on failed policy.

Bail reform has been a massive success. Out of the 98,000 now free who otherwise would've been eligible for Rikers, less than 2% were rearrested for a violent offense. Same as before reform. The chances these kids were released on another case at the time, is near-non-existent.

In NY & other localities where modest changes have passed, the fact is 1000s upon 1000s more are w/ their families, jobs, housing, medical care, & showing up to court. Not subjected to the *criminogenic violence that increases recidivism* of pretrial detention. Not reoffending

Meanwhile, just like before bail reform, an infinitesimal percentage of people who were released get rearrested for crimes of violence. And those who were originally charged with crimes of violence (& bail eligible), are *the least likely* of all to get rearrested *if* released.

The data also undermines the propaganda. Crime trends over last year according to most recent FBI data was consistent. Across all jurisdictions. Cities large/small. Red/blue. With/without reforms. Those w/ "progressive prosecutors" & without. With police protests & without.
I'd like to see the numbers on that, though I wouldn't be surprised.

Scott Hechinger on Twitter: "Here's the data just in NYC ..." / Twitter
Here's the data just in NYC as it relates to the kind of crime the storeowners' experience: Nearly 2% decrease in burglaries over the last 2 years. Over 7% decline in robberies. Is it okay it happened to them? No. Is it part of a "surge" of burglaries/robberies? No.

Lastly, the idea that somehow kids in Manhattan are suddenly feeling "emboldened" because they think they can get away with offenses like this is ludicrous. Violent felony before. Still violent felony. Also directly undercut by every study undermining deterrence theory.

People are not thinking to themselves: “Ok, I’m going to steal from this store because if I do get caught there is a higher chance that I might not get sent to Rikers Island during a pandemic under the new DA’s new policy memo.” People are not thinking like this.

We all, New Yorkers and survivors of violent crime included, deserve the truth.

Not surprisingly I’m reply to this thread, a wide range of people seeing & hearing about the same sinister police practices in NYC & around the country. Crown Heights, Brooklyn:

Suzanne F. Boswell on Twitter: "@ScottHech There's something similar going on near my neighborhood where a bunch of storeowners have been told by the cops that a serial robber can't be arrested because of bail laws. They believe the police; I'm convinced something else is going . (link)" / Twitter
‘Enough Is Enough:’ Park Slope Business Owners Exasperated By Recent Burglaries, Police Say Many By Same Man – CBS New York

In California via NextDoor app:
Dog Lover! on Twitter: "@ScottHech @Fly_Sistah I’m across the country, but I see frequent posts in NextDoor where people post about a crime (house break-in or car theft) & are told by the responding sheriff that it won’t do any good to prosecute b/c “nothing will happen to the crook anyway.” Your thread explains a lot." / Twitter

NYC:
Leo Glickman on Twitter: "A food deliverer working for a popular local restaurant in my neighborhood was accosted and robbed. The police did the same thing, saying their hands are tied and are being told to not make arrests. It's absolutely disgusting." / Twitter

Seattle:
Phil Mocek on Twitter: "The same thing happens in Seattle, where the police guild (@SPOG1952) actually have a PR campaign of "feel safe yet?" self-serving fear mongering. This is not a system that can be reformed. Defunnd the police and replace them with something more effective." / Twitter

Alaska:
Eat a Bowl, My Ass (I Will Not Eat a Bowl) on Twitter: "I don't even need to read the rest of this thread. A lot of people were told by police in Alaska that SB91 (criminal law reform) stopped them from investigating crimes." / Twitter

Not just when responding to calls for help. NYPD lying in community meetings too:
Jared Chausow on Twitter: "This is happening at community meetings across the city, too. Police point fingers rather than admit they can’t resolve community issues.
S/o to @TheRealLatriceW @RJackson_NYC & @NYSenatorRivera who have used their platforms to correct lies and promote truth & justice." / Twitter

Los Angeles:
Ground Game LA on Twitter: "They follow the same playbook everywhere." / Twitter

Just recalled that I had a similar conversation in San Francisco.
Scott Hechinger on Twitter: "Misinformation in San Francisco: A tech millionaire recently told me how someone had their head bashed w/ a brick. Brain damage. Police wouldn’t investigate bc they said Chesa won’t prosecute. “That’s insane!” Yea. Cause it’s not true. That’s attempted murder. Cops are out lying." / Twitter

Seattle. Again:
Wendy Lady doesn't want to talk bout Rocco☕🦄 on Twitter: "They're doing this from coast to coast. Twice I've interacted with Seattle police & they tell me they can't do anything because of "legislation".
The first time was with my son, on the same block as a station. They showed up 45 mins after the incident. They told me that.
Lies." / Twitter

Austin:
oldfatslow on Twitter: "@ScottHech This is exactly the situation in Austin. Police respond and tell crime victims nothing would happen so there's no need for them to do their job and investigate & arrest." / Twitter

Connecticut:
John Felizardo on Twitter: "@ScottHech Same in Connecticut. The State Police Commissioner is meeting State Law Makers to talk about the increase in road fatalities. The police blame low morale due to reforms. They basically are whining about accountability and therefore not doing their jobs." / Twitter

Portland:
Chris O'Connor on Twitter: "@ScottHech @WaqarVick Same propagandizing here in Portland: (link)" / Twitter
A Precinct Commander for the Portland Police Bureau Suggested Residents Should Vote Out the District Attorney for Being Soft on Crime

Next Door app in Los Angeles appears to be a significant home for spreading propaganda and angst.
Clare is vaccinated on Twitter: "@CarolKearns12 @ScottHech @Fly_Sistah This has become the general “belief” in Los Angeles — why bother reporting it, cops say it won’t do any good. And Next Door is a powerful amplifier of this." / Twitter

Pro-Crime policies beget more crime.

UP Addresses Los Angeles Cargo Thefts; Problem Requires Collective Effort

Union Pacific agents have made hundreds of arrests, but less than half are booked and some are released in less than 24 hours. 

“Criminals are caught and arrested, turned over to local authorities for booking, arraigned before the local courts, charges are reduced to a misdemeanor or petty offense, and the criminal is released after paying a nominal fine,” said the letter. “These individuals are generally caught and released back onto the streets in less than 24 hours. Even with all the arrests made, the no-cash bail policy and extended timeframe for suspects to appear in court is causing re-victimization to Union Pacific by these same criminals.”

The letter goes on to say criminals are boasting to Union Pacific officers that charges will be pled down to simple trespassing – which bears no serious consequence.

Those are not "pro-crime policies". Those are "unwillingness to do one's job" policies. Like charge them with trespassing and unlawful entry.

Seems like those cops want to provoke people to support policies that they like.

Those are not "pro-crime policies". Those are "unwillingness to do one's job" policies. Like charge them with trespassing and unlawful entry.

Seems like those cops want to provoke people to support policies that they like.

Wut? The “unwillingness to do one’s job” is by the prosecutor. That is a choice by the prosecutor. Cops have no bearing on whether a criminal is quickly released again to reoffend without consequence.

Yup - the election of a Trump criminal to the position of POTUS did begat more crime. What is fascinating is that master criminal's supporters then get upset by more crime.

Really is true. The Left GOP and its dupes just can’t live without Trump.
FIFY.

The last time the Capitol was attacked by a group (much smaller) was 1954 (Attacks on and at the Capitol). The past one was prompted in part by the darling of the GOP, President Trump.

Yup - the election of a Trump criminal to the position of POTUS did begat more crime. What is fascinating is that master criminal's supporters then get upset by more crime.

FIFY

You’re the one who brought him up. You can’t defend the lefty pro-crime policies, so you pivot to TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.

FIFY

You’re the one who brought him up. You can’t defend the lefty pro-crime policies, so you pivot to TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.
No, I am simply pointing out that people like you are pro-crime as long as it fits your ideology. It is a blatant double standard.

Back
Top Bottom