• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Can someone make a poll on this color deficiency test?

XY, and able to read 'em all. But then, I knew what they were before I looked at them, being psychic and all... :D

I have multiple types of synesthesia, including color. Seeing colored letters and numbers anywhere outside of my head doesn't bother me in the least. It also doesn't seem to affect the synesthesia at all. The numeral 9, to me, will always be pale yellow in my mind regardless of how many red nines my brain sees through my eyeballs.

Interesting. Older daughter says that she is "bothered" when letters are written in the "wrong" color. She has to turn off editors that change the color of the line when commented out and can't stand highlighting. Guess it is different for different people.

Yep. How old is she and when did she learn about synesthesia? the reason I ask is because we tend to not really think to say anything because we assume everyone works this way. Once I learned what the word meant, I recognized it right away and was surprised to learn that not everyone does this. I'm still skeptical about that part. I'm trying to imagine these superfluous associations not happening, like 9 just represents the value of nine and nothing else, or A is just A and colorless. Weird. Even looking at a list of letters or numbers in black and white and trying to only see the black lines, the colors will start to sort of shout themselves out. Ask your daughter if she ever does that, and if she has any of the other types of association such as gender or other traits.

She is 26 and figured it out in about first grade when a girl wrote "5" in red chalk and she said "no, 5 is brown." She also sees sounds and days of the week in color and has time fixed in specific locations in space. She absolutely cannot see just black lines no matter how hard she tries. One of my favorite stories is she said she had too much caffeine or stress or something once while in the student union and the loud ambient noise looked like "clown vomit" being thrown around the room.

Daughter two has the gender traits and time-space version along with the grapheme-color, but doesn't like to talk about it much. She figured it out in first grade as well when the reading levels in the library were coded in colors that didn't match the grade.

Both daughters said that the word "SYNESTHESIA" written in multiple colors on the wiki page for  synesthesia to try to show the rest of us how you see the world really bothers them because the colors used don't match what they see and it conflicts. Does it seem somehow "wrong" to you?

Finally, their mom/my wife (I'm dad...ArtemUs is the masculine name) has only the time-space version, but it is very strong for her. She can barely use a day planner and calendars are laid out "in the worst possible way." She only realized a few years years ago that this was rather unique when the whole family had a great revelation about the whole synesthesia thing. Daughter 2 was reading the psychology textbook for her upcoming course and told her sister "Hey, there's a name for that thing where we see letters in color...it's called synesthesia." I started reading out an on-line questionnaire about the types and when I said "Are the days of the week arranged like a tipped over letter D going counter-clockwise?" mom/wife said "No, they go up and back but then level off." She was actually surprised that anyone got it so badly wrong. It took days to convince her that the rest of don't see things that way.

She is 26 and figured it out in about first grade when a girl wrote "5" in red chalk and she said "no, 5 is brown." She also sees sounds and days of the week in color and has time fixed in specific locations in space. She absolutely cannot see just black lines no matter how hard she tries. One of my favorite stories is she said she had too much caffeine or stress or something once while in the student union and the loud ambient noise looked like "clown vomit" being thrown around the room.

Daughter two has the gender traits and time-space version along with the grapheme-color, but doesn't like to talk about it much. She figured it out in first grade as well when the reading levels in the library were coded in colors that didn't match the grade.

Both daughters said that the word "SYNESTHESIA" written in multiple colors on the wiki page for  synesthesia to try to show the rest of us how you see the world really bothers them because the colors used don't match what they see and it conflicts. Does it seem somehow "wrong" to you?

Finally, their mom/my wife (I'm dad...ArtemUs is the masculine name) has only the time-space version, but it is very strong for her. She can barely use a day planner and calendars are laid out "in the worst possible way." She only realized a few years years ago that this was rather unique when the whole family had a great revelation about the whole synesthesia thing. Daughter 2 was reading the psychology textbook for her upcoming course and told her sister "Hey, there's a name for that thing where we see letters in color...it's called synesthesia." I started reading out an on-line questionnaire about the types and when I said "Are the days of the week arranged like a tipped over letter D going counter-clockwise?" mom/wife said "No, they go up and back but then level off." She was actually surprised that anyone got it so badly wrong. It took days to convince her that the rest of don't see things that way.

I'm still not convinced, either. :D

Only 34% of people can correctly identify these numbers. Post if you can see them.

6 of 6 using an iPhone at arms length. The 29, the 9 is shaped oddly-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it seemed obvious to me why the OP was differentiating male and female. Unless he thinks this is a board where members would believe that gender identity or self image, as opposed to genetic considerations, would affect physical structures in the eye. Granted, the world is filled with uneducated doofs who actually believe that vision involves beams or rays coming out of the eyeball to perceive something visually. On another board, yeah. Either way, the poll just looks funny, like if the simple terms "male" and "female" confuse you, getting technical with the chromosome indicators should clear things up. :D
Well there is CAIS, where a person is genetically XY but phenotypically presents as female (at least outwardly - the vagina is a cul de sac).
Even House had an episode with it back in the day.

Since this is about genotype I think XX and XY are good categories.

XY here, and I can read all of them.
Me too. Although that 6 is the least contrast one.
Anybody able to read this though?
reverse_color_blindness_test.gif

Apparently some XXs are tetrachromats and can perceive even more colors.

Is the sensitivity maximum of the 4th cone consistent or random? And one side effect of tetrachomacy if the cone is in the yellow range is that real spectral yellow would appear different from a red-green combination. It would make watching TV or computer monitors or anything else with RGB rather weird and distracting. More useful would be the fourth cone extending the visible range into infrared or ultraviolet.

Also they have nothing on rainbow mantis shrimp. :)

I have a red-green variant of anomalous trichromacy, so I have difficulty with all but the upper left. I have read that about 10% of men have this. Much fewer women, who tend to be carriers of the genetic anomaly.

I can read the 1st 1 clear as day the rest I can read but its more difficult

oop nearly forgot

XX female :D

XY

I can see them all.

At first glance, the one below looked like "36", but the harder I look at it the less I see it, and sometime it looks like a "10".

XY

I can see them all.

At first glance, the one below looked like "36", but the harder I look at it the less I see it, and sometime it looks like a "10".

It doesn't appear to have any number. I see five distinct colors but no coherent shape. Just a suggestion of a 3 and an 8. Is this a trick sample?

I can read #1 for sure.
#3, #4 barely and most likely wrong.
the rest I see nothing.
But I know I have most common type of color deficiency - green one. ~10% of men have it.

OK
#1 - 25
#2 - nothing
#3 - 8 but I sense a trick
#4 - 56 (but I half-cheated on 5 because I was not sure and used color filter to help myself)
#5 - nothing
#6 - 45 but it's really really hard.

Not sure how to do it and also want the kind of poll that is anonymous at least to what your answer is.

Also not sure which forum is best.

I think that choices should be something like:

Male (XY), can read all the numbers
Male (XY), can only read 1-3 of the numbers
Female (XX), can read all the numbers
Female (XX),can only 1-3 of the numbers

View attachment 9295

Anyway, my answer is male and only able to read the two numbers on the left.

There are a few other types of color deficiency than mine, which I think is weak-green or deuteranomaly. But it makes up the vast amount of issues.

The numbers are quite easy to read but the first one is the easiest. If the numbers were totalled up they would reach 169

XY

I can see them all.

It doesn't appear to have any number. I see five distinct colors but no coherent shape. Just a suggestion of a 3 and an 8. Is this a trick sample?

Yes. It's a control question, there is no number.

Back
Top Bottom