• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split City Vs Country Politics

To notify a split thread.

I think when it comes to the big ticket stuff, water treatment, wastewater treatment, water access, roadways, bridges, FEMA... they don't have the money. And let's be clear on where prideandfall is wrong, neither do the suburbs.
Er, how exactly am I 'wrong' here? I never said the suburbs have any money or that urban or suburban areas are some mystical fount of money.
Its implied when you say that the rural areas can't fend for themselves. If you aren't saying that is the case, then I got the wrong implication.
So many tiny jobs I've worked on for cities or counties (townships ain't got any money) have federal funds. And it has been that way for a while. Republicans have done a great job at starving the beast.
And who, by and large, votes in republicans? You're almost there....
Suburbs and rural areas.
Pretty hard to do all by our lonesome given that so many more people live in the cities.
*checks notes*

Turns out that people living in cities don't get a vote in the rural counties where Republicans are most often elected.

I think when it comes to the big ticket stuff, water treatment, wastewater treatment, water access, roadways, bridges, FEMA... they don't have the money. And let's be clear on where prideandfall is wrong, neither do the suburbs.
Er, how exactly am I 'wrong' here? I never said the suburbs have any money or that urban or suburban areas are some mystical fount of money.
Its implied when you say that the rural areas can't fend for themselves. If you aren't saying that is the case, then I got the wrong implication.
So many tiny jobs I've worked on for cities or counties (townships ain't got any money) have federal funds. And it has been that way for a while. Republicans have done a great job at starving the beast.
Suburbs and rural areas.
Pretty hard to do all by our lonesome given that so many more people live in the cities.
*checks notes*

Turns out that people living in cities don't get a vote in the rural counties where Republicans are most often elected.
Really? Who do you think funds those campaigns? Where does that money come from?

Suburbs and rural areas.
*checks notes*

Really? Who do you think funds those campaigns? Where does that money come from?
*checks notes*

Turns out campaigning and raising funds is not the same thing as voting.

Top rivalries WAY bigger than City vs Country:

1. LA vs NYC
  2. NYC vs Boston
  3. LA vs San Francisco
  4. NYC vs Philadelphia
  5. Miami vs Orlando
  6. Austin vs The rest of TX
  7. Everyone (including a lot of Californians) vs California

aa

Suburbs and rural areas.
Well maybe this will shut you up.

2020 CNN Exit polling said:
Area type

15,590 total respondents
Urban
29%
Suburban
51%
Rural
19%

Biden
60%50%42%

Trump
38%48%57%
Oh wait... nevermind. :D

Kinda wonder what is meant by urban v suburban. Really though, on second thought, I don't really buy this either. Rural, 57 to 42?! Not in Ohio it wasn't. Rural, real rural counties were up to 4 to 1 Trump. Medina County which is borderline rural/suburb was 3 to 2 Trump. Cuyahoga County was 2 to 1 Biden, and I'd consider a good deal of that as "suburb".

In conclusion... the Exit Polling data I used to prove my point, only to disprove my point, is bullshit. :D

Upon further review, on the Ohio exit poll, it looks like "Medina County" is considered a suburb, and all of Cuyahoga County is urban. But even according to that, 40% of urban voters, voted for Trump. And from the vote to vote, 1 in 3 in Cuyahoga County voted for Trump, but that seems about normal, which then defends your point. Fuck!

Last time I try to prove my point... I'm gonna stick with obfuscation in the future.

Suburbs and rural areas.
*checks notes*

*checks notes*

Turns out campaigning and raising funds is not the same thing as voting.
Well thank heavens there is no relationship between campaign finance and election results. I’ve been wanting to see money out of elections for years.

Maybe you can help spread the word

I just find it incredibly stupid that they have spent the last 60 years actively ruining their own lives.

Stepping back for a moment, let's unpack this. You've made several posts essentially claiming that rural voters vote against their own best interests.

Do you actually know what their interests are? Do you know what rural people actually want? What is it that you believe Democrats have done in order to meet the interests of rural people?

Kinda wonder what is meant by urban v suburban.
With survey's it's always a challenge. Many surveys will use self-reported categorizations which is fraught with complications. Demographic data will generally define urban versus suburban based on a combination of ease of access to a major metropolitan area and the proportion of residential versus commercial densities.

When I lived in Washington, people in Queen Anne district considered themselves "urban", but the district itself is actually suburban - it has easy access to a metropolitan area, but the majority of it is residential. On the other hand, a lot of people considered Marysville to be rural, but it is also suburban.

I've found a better classification to be Metropolitan, Metropolitan Service Area (MSA), and Non-MSA.

I just find it incredibly stupid that they have spent the last 60 years actively ruining their own lives.

Stepping back for a moment, let's unpack this. You've made several posts essentially claiming that rural voters vote against their own best interests.

Do you actually know what their interests are? Do you know what rural people actually want? What is it that you believe Democrats have done in order to meet the interests of rural people?
Well that's... a broader question than it seems on the surface, especially 'what do rural people want' isn't really a cut and dry inquiry.
So before I can answer that, I suppose I need to define what I think of as 'rural' in this specific context.

When I think of 'rural' or 'small town' it's informed by my experiences, of course, as is every view that every person has.
I think of Swanton, Ohio where I was born - it's relatively close to Toledo so it's not like it's an isolated community in the middle of nowhere, but it's one of those interesting mid-west towns where even though an urban center is fairly close by there are people living in that village who have almost never left a 5 mile radius around it.
I think of Nederland, CO and Sugarloaf CO - the former being a small mountain town of about 1500 that is partially sustained by 'pass-through' tourism, the latter being... well to be honest it's basically where hippie drug dealers and 'lone survivor' idiots live to be 'off grid'.
I think about Kalispell, MT where I lived for a couple years in the early 2000s.

Not southern rural places, I've only driven through some of those here and there in my life, but small little towns nonetheless.
I extrapolate based on what I've experienced from these places plus what I've read - both news and 'human interest' articles, as well as stuff from forums and such.

Ok so there's some general guidelines - when I think about 'rural' towns and 'rural' voters *in the context of this thread* I'm generally thinking about people who live in smaller towns that are within a 2-3 hour drive of a larger urban center that for the most part don't have any background economic harness.
(By economic harness I mean for example Nederland having 'pass-through' money trickle in, or Kalispell having residual tourism money filter in from the skiing over in Whitefish)
Also note that the whole idea of small towns and rural people extends way beyond any limited conversational scope, but Toni is the one who started this thread claiming that city folk hate "rural working class" from "fly-over areas" so I'm trying to limit things to that kind of reference point.

So with all that preface out of the way...
Do you actually know what their interests are? Do you know what rural people actually want?
There's a really powerful difference here between what they "want" vs what they "need" and it's enough I think it deserves defining separately.
I assume they need the same thing everyone needs:
1. Personal economic viability (for this discussion we'll define that "make enough money to cover all the basics of living and then have some extra on top of that).
2. Housing and environmental stability.
3. Enough distractions and assorted what-nots to stave off the creeping horror of the human condition.

Now when it comes to wants, for a lot of small town rural white people you could start off with "no not-white people", but I chalk that up to an unpleasant personality quirk of people who live in these areas and don't generally ascribe it to small town dwellers as an attribute, though quite frankly a *lot* of them have that attitude.

A very common through-line I've experienced as well is this kind of internal back-and-forth over wanting conveniences of the modern world while simultaneously disdaining the idea of those conveniences and the people who utilize them.
Like I remember in Kalispell hearing lots and lots of people bitching about the 'modern world' and the canard of 'technology' and how it was an evil vice, but everyone sure was quick to start getting DSL when that was introduced to the area.
I recall an awful lot of bar griping about "city folk" and their "busy lifestyle" and how cities are "too crowded", but when the town hit whatever nebulous point of critical mass is required to make Walmart decide they should build a store there, the parking lot was packed to capacity most every day and the bitching at the bar turned into grousing about "all the sheep" are flocking to Walmart and it's such a huge deal because it's causing traffic and making it so the person bitching couldn't quickly and easily get to Walmart.

Anyways I'm kind of rambling and getting off topic, so let's TLDR this:
Every human has basic needs from a biological perspective (re: hierarchy) and then everyone has a related but not identical set of needs within the framework of civilization.
For many people across all spectrums and in all locations urban and rural, those basic needs are not being met.
This is what I would classify as the primary need for everyone, regardless of geography - to have those basic needs met.

What is it that you believe Democrats have done in order to meet the interests of rural people?
Very little, because the interests of rural people necessarily cannot be met by conservative politics, and Democrats are a staunchly conservative political party.
However, they aren't pouring gas on the fire, and they might actually come up with something useful if given enough room to work with.

When people like Toni wax nostalgic about the idyllic "small town culture" they yearn for and people like Jaryhn say we should be trying to birth more of these places, none of them are talking about an isolated cluster of buildings in the middle of nowhere filled with bare-footed children and gap-toothed rednecks in overalls.
Nobody is pining for a return to subsistence farming or a Tyler Durden-esque post-apocalypse where everyone is living off the land and the modern world has collapsed.

They're longing for when GM came along and built a factory next to some small struggling burg, and employed near the entire populace, and everyone had money and a grocery store and could buy a house.
So when these small town poets talk about wanting to 'bring back the small town' what they mean is wanting the entire population of the town to have a high paying job that allows them to meet all of their basic biological needs as outlined above.

The harsh reality though is that this is no longer possible - globalism and unchecked predatory capitalism killed that notion for small town America the nanosecond it became cheaper to have some brown person from a 3rd world country do your manufacturing and to ship the parts back here than to make them here in the first place.

There are no more factories propping up small towns and there never will be, there's no more plantations or gold mines acting as a backbone for economic investment.
Small towns are an outdated model in the modern U.S., a country that has left behind manufacturing and production and shifted into a service economy.

What small towns require (not need, not want... require) in order to be capable of residents to have their basic needs met is either:
A. a constant infusion of outside resources propping them up, basically indefinite long-term welfare.
B. a plan to relocate the populations out of those small towns into places where those needs can be met.
C. small towns to disconnect from dependence on the outside broader world and become more self-sustaining communities.

If you've got 400-2000 people, and they all require X amount of resources to live, and the town generates X-% amount of resources to distribute among them, what other options do you have to get those resources to those people?

I'm not saying Democrats can or will magically fix the problem, or that the residents of these towns would even accept that solution if it were offered (that's a whole other conversation) but I know for absolute certain that Republicans make it their primary mission as a political body to ensure that no solution is ever enacted.

but it's a pathetic travesty that your opinion is allowed to participate in the governance of human civilization.
This might be one of the most arrogant political opinions I've seen written down in a very, very long time.
Oh, SHIT really?
Fuck... everyone! everyone look! Emily doesn't like something I posted! QUICK EVERYBODY LOOK AT WHAT A BAD THING I DID.

Well fuck I guess nevermind, I take it all back... your unassailable logic convinced me.

A long time ago I posted a link to this article at Cracked, shortly after Trump was elected. It analyzes the difference between city and country.

To summarize from my point of view - people of different races in a small country town all work at the same factory, drink at the same bar, root for the same team. They aren't racist because they don't see someone who works at the same factory, drinks at the same bar, and roots for the same team as a different race. But people of all races in the small town view people in the cities with some suspicion.

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

Well thank heavens there is no relationship between campaign finance and election results. I’ve been wanting to see money out of elections for years.

So wait, are you changing your argument? Because you've been doggedly maintaining that rural small town people are 4D chess geniuses who are unfairly maligned by the evil city cabals, and I thought your entire reason you and all your little underlings were calling me a bigot was because I dared to impinge on the honor of the rural hayseed.

Are you now saying that they're in fact a bunch of rubes who can be tricked into voting against their own well being with enough money thrown at shiny ads and twinkling lights?
What's the point here exactly?

So wait, are you changing your argument? Because you've been doggedly maintaining that rural small town people are 4D chess geniuses who are unfairly maligned by the evil city cabals, and I thought your entire reason you and all your little underlings were calling me a bigot was because I dared to impinge on the honor of the rural hayseed.

Are you now saying that they're in fact a bunch of rubes who can be tricked into voting against their own well being with enough money thrown at shiny ads and twinkling lights?
What's the point here exactly?
I understand that you enjoy engaging in hyperbole but I really don't have time to suss out what is just you playing word games and what is you just trying to pick a fight.

I've only ever argued that people who do not live in large urban areas are people, not rubes, not hayseeds, not inbred incestuous idiots (and believe me I know a whole lot of jokes about people from a certain state... ). They're people the same as people in the biggest cities are people as are the people who live in terrible neighborhoods or the most posh or who live under a bridge in a cardboard box or who don't even have a cardboard box. They have all have their wishes hopes and dreams, or at least what has not been squashed right out of them by good intentions or ill, by good luck or bad. There's tremendous talent, ingenuity, intelligence, heart, passion, compassion, ambition and drive all over the place, not just one place and not just one kind of place.

It ain't me who's going around throwing the nastiest kind of shade at people who, for whatever reason, including total lack of imagination or survival skills, choose to live in the middle of concrete and bad smells on purpose.

But here's a hint: If people from (whereever) want to convince people from (somewhere else) to work with them or that they have issues in common, etc. they really ought to try to actually look and see those people. Even ad campaigns know their demographics far better than you do. Your PHONE knows more than you do, ffs.

I mean, I won't expect you to actually....drive out into the country and identify steers or soybeans or oats or hay or pieces of farm equipment, much less even try to talk with someone. That's WITH, not at. It involves listening, not just vomiting your wisdom at them. I'm not going to expect you to read anything, either. But if you've got a bit of time, maybe try watching Irresistible with Steve Carell. It's not a long film and it's not too deep. They say reading fiction helps develop empathy. Maybe watching movies can too.

[Swammi attempts to don Moderator cap]
This discussion is interesting and passionate — Good!
But some Infidels (including myself :-( ) have indulged in sarcasm, or even approached the threshold of unacceptable insults. — Bad.

Please keep discourse friendly and civil. Otherwise one of the more active Moderators will need to get involved.

A long time ago I posted a link to this article at Cracked, shortly after Trump was elected. It analyzes the difference between city and country.

To summarize from my point of view - people of different races in a small country town all work at the same factory, drink at the same bar, root for the same team. They aren't racist because they don't see someone who works at the same factory, drinks at the same bar, and roots for the same team as a different race. But people of all races in the small town view people in the cities with some suspicion.

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind
The Cracked article is worth a read. It aims at the same point that Bill Maher and I try to impress on Democratic partisans.
Insulting large groups of people is both ignorant and unproductive.

Jill Biden thinks I'm a breakfast taco.
No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA
The word "know" has one silent k.
The word "knuckle" has two silent k's.
The word "Democrat" has three silent k's.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

That sure as heck wasn't true of the small town I grew up in. There were only a few thousand of us, but by necessity there were two bars, eight churches/iglesias and even separate lunch table zones at the elementary school so everyone could segregate who felt the need to. They worked in the same factories, mostly Hershey and Hunt's in those days, but usually in different roles and at different pay scales according to race and gender, and those who tried to break those unwritten rules felt the backlash immediately. Now Hershey has split for Mexico, and Hunt's has replaced more than half its staff with machines, so everyone has to drive three towns over to work for Amazon, whose much larger operation forces them to work side by side with city folk and indeed be outnumbered by them in nearly all departments. I'll grant you this has resulted in more racial admixture on the warehouse floor, though. Everyone is working the exact same drudge job except the managers.

At the time it felt "normal" to us kids that there were in effect two different countries hiding on opposite sides of a tiny little town, but as an adult looking back it seems hellish and authoritarian. Like, there was no good reason for any of it. But all of these good, honest, churchgoing folk seemed to think racial segregation was two steps away from dogma.

Story time: an angry but charismatic parent once tried to get my mother fired from said elementary school, where she was teaching music and art part-time. The affair stretched on for months, and created a serious rift between the school principal (who had hired my mom and backed her) and the PTA (who wanted her head on a backyard grill). Her crime? The school chorus sang a song in Spanish this one time. No, really. That was the sole offense. A few verses of Los Pollitos. Four months of fighting.

That said, I'm not trying to generalize and say that the social realities of Whistle Stop CA are exactly the same as Whistle Stop, UT and Whistle Stop, AL and Whistle Stop, PA. I don't think Trump country is anything like as homogenous as its detractors, or even its denizens, imagine. Life is every bit of complicated, messy, and harsh in the countryside as it is in the city, and its contours are different from region to region.

Last edited:
Rural and urban dwellers share far more values in common than not. I believe that it is absolutely essential that everyone reach out and find common ground.
Of course.
Mathematically speaking, a significant portion of city people ARE voting Republican since only 14 percent of the US population is living in rural areas. And I know for an absolute fact, a bunch of them vote Democrat.
Also true.

Millions of city folks did vote for Trump in 2016 as well as 2020 and a significant minority of country folks voted for Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020, so we can only talk about tendencies. And yet there is an undeniable split between rural and urban dwellers when it comes to voting.

1920px-2016_Presidential_Election_by_County.svg.png

1920px-2020_Presidential_Election_by_County.svg.png

Yes H. Clinton's use of the word "deplorables" neatly encapsulated what her and her ilk thought of those who would not vote for her.
Clinton's use of the word "deplorables" was rather more nuanced. Context is important. Here is what she actually said at the LGBT for Hillary Gala in New York City on Sept. 9, 2016:
You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America.

But the other basket -- and I know this because I see friends from all over America here -- I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California -- but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.

Back
Top Bottom