• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Comic book movie news & discussion

I think the most interesting thing about Superman is Clark Kent. It creates neat situations when a god tries to act like a human and live amongst us. If they'd focus more on Kent instead of Superman, they'd have more compelling storylines.
The limitations of Kent indeed would be more compelling, as Superman has to step back and try to play the role. Car accident about to happen... has to let it happen. Bank robbery... has to let it happen.

Superman is one of the least compelling super heroes in the day and age of CGI and he desperately requires lots of special crafting to make interesting. People like Joss Whedon and J. Michael Straczynski know how to make things more cerebral and don't just concentrate on the resolution to a conflict, but look past the resolution and find the future conflict that is a direct result of the resolution. Batman v Superman tried to do that, but it sucked terribly... again because it comprises of a bunch of characters that are pretty much indefeatable and the guy who "dies" isn't the one that is technically vulnerable and tear into many partsable.

I think the most interesting thing about Superman is Clark Kent. It creates neat situations when a god tries to act like a human and live amongst us. If they'd focus more on Kent instead of Superman, they'd have more compelling storylines.

I have to agree here. Some of the better parts of the old Superman television show starring George Reeves portrayed him as Clark Kent a lot more than modern media, probably because the special effects needed were much more of a challenge. All the time Clark Kent would have to think fast to cover up his strength and invulnerability. I recall one episode when some bad guy shot Clark in the chest at close range with Lois Lane in the room. So how to explain why he's not even bleeding? Thinking quickly, he dented a metal cigarette case with his thumb that he was carrying in his shirt pocket to make it look like it deflected the bullet.

Then again, it's been explained to me that the reason Spider-Man is better than Superman is because he's the opposite. Superman is a strong, brave, heroic character who has to pretend to be a mild-mannered doofus. Peter Parker is an actual mild-mannered doofus who has to pretend to be strong, brave, and heroic. That makes him more relatable to his mild-mannered doofus audience.

One thing I don't understand: Every discussion of Superman has someone dutifully chime in that they never liked him because he's too powerful. And yet he's still one of the best-selling comic book characters, even after nearly a century. There must be something going on there.

Why would Clark Kent be carrying a thumb in his shirt pocket??

I have to agree here. Some of the better parts of the old Superman television show starring George Reeves portrayed him as Clark Kent a lot more than modern media, probably because the special effects needed were much more of a challenge. All the time Clark Kent would have to think fast to cover up his strength and invulnerability. I recall one episode when some bad guy shot Clark in the chest at close range with Lois Lane in the room. So how to explain why he's not even bleeding? Thinking quickly, he dented a metal cigarette case with his thumb that he was carrying in his shirt pocket to make it look like it deflected the bullet.

Then again, it's been explained to me that the reason Spider-Man is better than Superman is because he's the opposite. Superman is a strong, brave, heroic character who has to pretend to be a mild-mannered doofus. Peter Parker is an actual mild-mannered doofus who has to pretend to be strong, brave, and heroic. That makes him more relatable to his mild-mannered doofus audience.

One thing I don't understand: Every discussion of Superman has someone dutifully chime in that they never liked him because he's too powerful. And yet he's still one of the best-selling comic book characters, even after nearly a century. There must be something going on there.

Oops. "Thinking quickly, with his thumb he dented a metal cigarette case that he was carrying in his shirt pocket to make it look like it deflected the bullet. "

Oops. "Thinking quickly, with his thumb he dented a metal cigarette case that he was carrying in his shirt pocket to make it look like it deflected the bullet. "

How would that make his shirt look like it deflected the bullet? :p

Well, as fun* as this discussion has been, I found the scene in question. And I was wrong. It wasn't a cigarette case. It was...

Well, see for yourself. The scene starts at 3:03:

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/MmvvuMneXCQ[/YOUTUBE]

Seems legit. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the stuff they pulled on the 1966 Batman show.

As a child, I preferred Marvel over DC precisely because it was too hard for me to believe that Superman was ever in any real danger.

I can't speak for others, but I didn't read much Superman as a child, and less as I grew older.

That seems like an overly simplistic evaluation. The whole approach to characters is different in Marvel vs DC. Bruce Wayne is interesting in that he illuminates the character of Batman and helps you understand him better. Clark Kent is the same way. Yes, it's fun to see Superman try to pretend to be a mere mortal, but Clark Kent genuinely searches for the truth, and that helps you understand Superman's whole "Truth, justice and the American way" shtick a little better.

By contrast, you care about Spider-Man because you know it affects Peter Parker. You care about the battle Spider-Man is in because if the battle is particularly heated and that hidden camera gets destroyed, Peter Parker is going to have trouble paying the rent. Again.

The fact that the superpowers are (certain exceptions noted) generally weaker in the Marvel universe is certainly what caused the person that I was as a child to switch to Marvel, but that's hardly all of it.

Oh, and another reason that Spider-Man is so popular: the teenage Peter Parker was basically a teen sidekick without a superhero. Also, in my personal opinion, a big part of the appeal of Spider-Man is that Peter Parker is basically a much more intelligent adult version of Charlie Brown. Did Lucy pull the football again? I feel so bad for Charlie Brown. I want to keep reading and find out what happens to him next. That sort of thing.

Anyway[ent]hellip[/ent]

DC characters are like gods in a pantheon. Each represents an idealization of something. That's not good or bad, it is what it is. Marvel characters in general (certain exceptions noted) have more character flaws, and that is probably what people are talking about when they say Marvel characters are more relatable. When people say Marvel characters seem more relatable, it's about a bunch of different things: weaker powers, the fact that the story focuses on the alter ego as much or more than the superhero, but especially the character flaws.

On the other hand, DC characters make better and easier metaphors for storytellers. Batman is people's anxieties about organized crime. Batman is the lust for vengeance we feel when we are wronged. Want to tell a story that talks about the vengeful aspect of justice or about organized crime in general? Batman works for that in ways that no Marvel character does. Superman is truth, justice and the American way, as well as an idealization of the immigrant-made-good story. Wonder Woman is female empowerment and compassion. So on and so forth.

The X-Men work better as a metaphor for bigotry than anything in the DC universe, but in general, DC has the better metaphors.

Marvel characters feel like they could be us because they're a bunch of screw-ups who got stuck with (or were guilted into) being superheroes. DC characters might be perfect idealizations of various concepts, but that makes it harder to imagine being them, or even knowing someone like that.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix pulled from FOX web site:

https://www.foxmovies.com/

New Mutants is still listed, but Dark Phoenix isn't. It's been gone from the web site for two days now, which makes it unlikely this is some kind of mistake.

Either they are about to announce yet another major change to the troubled project, or it just got scrapped.

I'll be honest, if it gets scrapped, I won't miss it. FOX has made very few decent blockbuster X-Men movies, but the smaller budget movies where the director is allowed to take more risks (Deadpool, Logan, etc.) have been great.

That's weird. The "nerd" movie reviewers are giving Ant Man And The Wasp lower ratings than the mainstream movie reviewers.

The mainstream movie reviewers are giving it lower marks than most Marvel movies, but still within the normal range. The "nerd" reviewers are complaining that the movie lacks some of the "family comedy hour" stuff that made the original stand out from the other Marvel movies.

I just found it odd because the split usually goes the other way.

Major spoiler for Ant-Man and the Wasp:

In the mid-credit scene, Janet, Hope, and Hank all die in the Snapture. They die while Scott is shrunk down in the quantum realm, and because they died, he won't be able to return. He is now stuck down there the same way Janet once was.

Since Janet survived for decades, we know that Scott can survive down there.

Janet also warned that he should avoid "time vortexes" or something like that. Basically, it's possible for him to travel in time if he stumbles into one.

Which means that Scott Lang could play a role in reversing a lot of the deaths in the Snapture.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...w-movie-be-directed-by-cate-shortland-1126708

Director named for Black Widow movie.

1. If they named a director, the project is officially not vaporware. It's probably going to happen. Finally.
  2. The director is female.
  3. The director has a background in spy thrillers

Honestly, a Black Widow movie should probably have happened a long time ago. I guess it's good that the first female lead/female solo movie is an A-list hero like Captain Marvel, but given that Black Widow was introduced a long time ago to the movie universe, it's kind of messed up that it took this long. Shit, I would have settled for a Hawkeye-Black Widow movie to be honest.

Wonder Woman showed that a female point of view in the director's chair can have genuine value, but mostly I'm happy about this because I'd like to see more female directors in general get work in Hollywood. I know right wingers think of Hollywood as this ultimate liberal horror show, but let's face it: almost all of the directors and producers are white males. It's the 21st fucking century, Hollywood.

Duh. This is the Marvel formula, isn't it? Find a relative unknown director that few people have ever heard of, and somehow this results in a kick ass movie. I have no fucking clue how that part of the Marvel formula works. The fact that she has experience in spy thrillers sounds like a definite plus.

Moviebob uses the "satire news" format to poke fun at other nerds, nerd movies, and nerd culture in general. Pretty funny stuff, but I didn't post it in the "funny videos" thread because a lot of the humor might go over your head if you don't pay attention to nerd crap.

Netflix announces new upcoming adaptations from Mark Millar, whose Millarworld comic book company it bought a while back. For anyone who doesn't know, Mark Millar created the original comics that Wanted, Kingsman, Kick-Ass, and Logan are based on, as well the idea of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/17/17581978/netflix-nx-social-media-sci-fi-fantasy-mark-millar

The new comics that will be adapted are:

Jupiter’s Legacy
American Jesus
Empress
Huck
Sharkey The Bounty Hunter

Spoiler for the American Jesus:

Turns out he isn't Jesus, he's the anti-Christ. Oops.

Other titles I wouldn't mind seeing in the future are MPH (about a group of young delinquents who get Flash-like powers) and Nemesis (which has an evil Batman as a villain, and not just any Batman but the comic-book "batgod" who has unreal powers of planning and deduction and can win any battle with proper preparations).

Back
Top Bottom