• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

How does that compare to influenza "cases".

The number of cases doesn't matter. The number of serious cases matter. Influenza is rarely serious except in those already near death. Covid kills an awful lot of people that have health issues but are nowhere near death.

Kills a lot of people with mental health issues - especially mental health issues that involve believing Donald Trump.
Silver linings and all that. ;)

I looked up testing in Seattle, King County. The free testing, which I don't think I need since I have had no symptoms, requires photo ID and is an RT-PCR test. Not sure what paid tests are available for people who are not strongly symptomatic.

Now if a non symptomatic person tested RT-PCR positive today for Covid-19 that could (discounting false positives) mean what exactly?

The most prudent thing is to assume it could be a fresh infection on the upswing, I assume.

But how long after totally non symptomatic covid infection will the RT-PCR still see covid virus fragments? What about mild and medium symptom infections?

If you get RT-PCR positive results today and for the next 2-4 weeks you get zero symptoms (or up to medium and then a full week symptom free), but still in 2-4 weeks from now you get another RT-PCR positive, what is the protocol?

What about testing positive for live whole virus not fragrments as a reason to continue personal quarantine?

I am not a medical professional so I don't know how this works.

Other than use for in controlled medical surveys, which are extremely important, should non symptomatic non directly exposed people be getting lots of tests now?

COVID's cognitive costs? Some patients' brains may age 10 years | Reuters - "People recovering from COVID-19 may suffer significant brain function impacts, with the worst cases of the infection linked to mental decline equivalent to the brain ageing by 10 years, researchers warned on Tuesday."
A non-peer-reviewed study of more than 84,000 people, led by Adam Hampshire, a doctor at Imperial College London, found that in some severe cases, coronavirus infection is linked to substantial cognitive deficits for months.

“Our analyses ... align with the view that there are chronic cognitive consequences of having COVID-19,” the researchers wrote in a report of their findings. “People who had recovered, including those no longer reporting symptoms, exhibited significant cognitive deficits.”
However, there weren't any before-and-after comparisons. I suspect that this study was done by demographically matching COVID-19 patients with people without the disease, and then comparing their typical cognitive function.

I looked up testing in Seattle, King County. The free testing, which I don't think I need since I have had no symptoms, requires photo ID and is an RT-PCR test. Not sure what paid tests are available for people who are not strongly symptomatic.

Now if a non symptomatic person tested RT-PCR positive today for Covid-19 that could (discounting false positives) mean what exactly?

The most prudent thing is to assume it could be a fresh infection on the upswing, I assume.

But how long after totally non symptomatic covid infection will the RT-PCR still see covid virus fragments? What about mild and medium symptom infections?

If you get RT-PCR positive results today and for the next 2-4 weeks you get zero symptoms (or up to medium and then a full week symptom free), but still in 2-4 weeks from now you get another RT-PCR positive, what is the protocol?

What about testing positive for live whole virus not fragrments as a reason to continue personal quarantine?

I am not a medical professional so I don't know how this works.

Other than use for in controlled medical surveys, which are extremely important, should non symptomatic non directly exposed people be getting lots of tests now?

You can't get a test for live virus, just for pcr or antigens or antibodies. After infection, typically you can test positive in about 2 days.

Someone asymptomatic who tests positive will still be infectious so needs to quarantine. The current CDC criteria for when someone who tested positive and never had symptoms is safe to be around others is 10 days after their positive test, no second test needed. For mild cases, they are safe to be around others after at least 10 days from first symptoms and 24 hours without a fever and with other symptoms improving, no test needed. Severe cases have to wait longer, and may require testing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/01/22/mapping-spread-new-coronavirus/?arc404=true

China5,985
Thailand14
Taiwan8
Japan7
Singapore7
Malaysia7
United States5
Australia5
South Korea4
France4
Germany4
Vietnam2
Canada2
Nepal1
Cambodia1
Sri Lanka1
Last updated: Jan 29 at 12:44 pm

So, as of this morning, there were five known cases in the US. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Wash your hands and put on your hazmat suit. /s

I also read the that two who were infected in Viet Nam are recovering without complications. One of them was 65 years old.

time capsule.

These were aggregate cases. Tiny Austria alone has reported more new cases than that today alone.

We're having donut days here.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/nov/05/how-doughnuts-became-australias-symbol-of-covid-hope

It's been sixty days since the last community transmission case in Queensland; Our death toll is six. Not six today; six in total, since the beginning of COVID.

Employment is back to more than 98% of what it was a year ago. Our severe and harsh lockdown has also helped save our economy.

There was never a choice between the economy and the lives of the most at-risk people.

It was always better for the economy to protect lives. Frankly, I am astonished that anyone seriously thought it might not be.

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/11/pcr-test-too-sensitive

156,000 asymptomatic people with 90 PCR 40-cycle positives tests, seems like a low false positive rate. Also, probably a decent amount of those 156,000 people did have covid. So what might be the false negative rate?

The issue isn't really false negatives, but negative specimens. Note, though, to the person being tested they are the same thing. If you don't have a lot of infection the swab might not get any of it and will come back negative.

France had 87K infections in one day. That's like if US had 440k in a day.
of course it's it's a little bit of accounting fluke but they do have 60K average, which scales to 300K for US.
And there is a new strain of C19 which is more contagious.

Unless we start mass vacination soon we are going to count infected in millions, not hundreds as we do now.

of course it's it's a little bit of accounting fluke but they do have 60K average, which scales to 300K for US.

Unless we start mass vacination soon we are going to count infected in millions, not hundreds as we do now.

Is Trump President of France too?

Is Trump President of France too?
No, why?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/health/covid-vaccine-pfizer.html

The drug maker Pfizer announced on Monday that an early analysis of its coronavirus vaccine trial suggested the vaccine was robustly effective in preventing Covid-19, a promising development as the world has waited anxiously for any positive news about a pandemic that has killed more than 1.2 million people.

Pfizer, which developed the vaccine with the German drugmaker BioNTech, released only sparse details from its clinical trial, based on the first formal review of the data by an outside panel of experts.

The company said that the analysis found that the vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in preventing the disease among trial volunteers who had no evidence of prior coronavirus infection. If the results hold up, that level of protection would put it on par with highly effective childhood vaccines for diseases such as measles. No serious safety concerns have been observed, the company said.

Pfizer plans to ask the Food and Drug Administration for emergency authorization of the two-dose vaccine later this month, after it has collected the recommended two months of safety data. By the end of the year it will have manufactured enough doses to immunize 15 to 20 million people, company executives have said.

"90% effectiveness" sounds fantastic.

"94 people out of 43,000 trial participants caught COVID, with 10 of these being recipients of the vaccine and 84 in the placebo group" sounds like an insufficient sample to draw any conclusion other than "so far it looks fairly promising".

It's a somewhat encouraging preliminary observation, not a miracle cure.

Lol conservatives are going to use this as "more evidence Covid was a democrat hoax!" all along, just because the news came after Trump's defeat in the election. :rolleyes:

There are RCTs which show that (gasp) HCQ+ works to lower the death rate by 76%.
My conclusion is that when the anti-Trump, anti-HCQ crowd politicized his crowing about the drug they murdered thousands of people.
Government and medicine do not mix well. Government is top-down. Medicine is bottom-up. Individual doctors practicing medicine. (HCQ was know to be safe and might work early. So some doctors were using it. It worked. Anecdotes. Anecdotes drive safe medical practice. Doctors tell each other what has worked.)

There are RCTs which show that (gasp) HCQ+ works to lower the death rate by 76%.
My conclusion is that when the anti-Trump, anti-HCQ crowd politicized his crowing about the drug they murdered thousands of people.
Government and medicine do not mix well. Government is top-down. Medicine is bottom-up. Individual doctors practicing medicine. (HCQ was know to be safe and might work early. So some doctors were using it. It worked. Anecdotes. Anecdotes drive safe medical practice. Doctors tell each other what has worked.)
Do you know anyone in the medical community? Because it was known that in very limited situations, HCQ was helpful. It was the crowing of the idiot in chief that it was a 'miracle cure' that made it political, and stupid. Also, it killed a few people who went and took it on their own.

Back
Top Bottom