• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Yes, everything is Trump. The TDS is stronger in some here.

YOU declared that Sturgis was a "super spreader" event. When called out on it you posted a very weak study to try to back up your silly claim. Then you go off on a rant and finally flounce out trying to insult me.

I referred to Sturgis as a super spreader event because that’s how it was widely referred to by multiple media sources in 2020.

Yeah but it wasn't a "super spreader event". So now you know. :thumbsup:

It is, according to multiple sources, a few of which I have cited. So far you have failed to either cite a source that disputes that or share your credentials that would indicate you have the expertise to dispute the superspreader term. Two fingers and an internet connection are insufficient credentials.

Yes, everything is Trump. The TDS is stronger in some here.

YOU declared that Sturgis was a "super spreader" event. When called out on it you posted a very weak study to try to back up your silly claim. Then you go off on a rant and finally flounce out trying to insult me.

I referred to Sturgis as a super spreader event because that’s how it was widely referred to by multiple media sources in 2020.

We don't know how many cases of C19 resulted from that gathering. There's no way to know.

The kind of folks who would ride a motorcycle like that are probably low risk. They mostly are barely aware of being sick. But all along the way and once home they're coming into contact with people who are much higher risk and spreading the virus to them. But we're very poor at contact tracing so few of these cases are likely to be directly linked to Sturgis.
That doesn't mean Sturgis was magically free from being a super spreader event.
Tom

We don't know how many cases of C19 resulted from that gathering. There's no way to know.

The kind of folks who would ride a motorcycle like that are probably low risk. They mostly are barely aware of being sick. But all along the way and once home they're coming into contact with people who are much higher risk and spreading the virus to them. But we're very poor at contact tracing so few of these cases are likely to be directly linked to Sturgis.
That doesn't mean Sturgis was magically free from being a super spreader event.
Tom

I’m guessing that you a) have never been to the Sturgis rally and b) mean that those who ride in Sturgis are unlikely to become seriously ill if they become infected.

Despite the mythology associated with bikers, they are actual human beings with the same likelihood of contracting communicable diseases as the average..,KMart worker. Or customer.

Would you guess that attendees at the annual Sturgis motorcycle rally are more likely to be smokers or less likely?

Gene Wu on Twitter: "Republicans: TEXAS IS A RIGHT TO WORK STATE, GET OVER IT!

Also Republicans: Wait, what do you mean any private employer can fire you without cause if you refuse to get a mandatory vaccination? Is this what RIGHT TO WORK actually means? That seems really unfair. 🤷*♂️🤔🤦*♂️" / Twitter

Gene Wu on Twitter: ""employment at will"
And
"RIGHT TO WORK"
are different things.
Hahahahaha 😜" / Twitter

I like it when right-wingers object to things that employers demand of employees, after making a big issue about how employers have an absolute right to do whatever they want in their workplaces. It's like the James Damore case, when right-wingers didn't automatically side with his employer.

The Offspring, one of my favorite punk bands, has fired their drummer for refusing to get vaccinated.

No, bluster is all you have got. The Sturgis event was not the "super spreader" apocalypse you claim or want it to be so you go off on a rant about something completely different.

Why are you so disappointed that the Sturgis gathering wasn't the apocalypse you want it to be ?

You're the only one I know of who refers to C19 problems as "apocalypse".

Does a problem that doesn't reach your standards of apocalyptic become unimportant? That's the sense I get from your posts.
Tom
Has swizzle gone on record about its opinion of Benghazi? ;)

The Offspring, one of my favorite punk bands, has fired their drummer for refusing to get vaccinated.

https://www.cnet.com/news/offspring-drops-drummer-pete-parada-for-not-getting-vaccinated/

The drummer cites medical reasons as leading to his decision to not get vaccinated against COVID-19.

"Given my personal medical history and the side-effect profile of these jabs, my doctor has advised me not to get a shot at this time," Parada wrote.

Hmm, maybe a business decision less than a health one for the other members, since he was at risk of getting infected while not in the higher safety profile of being vaccinated.

He could be lying or telling the truth. Who knows.

Oh, here is the entire tweet thread from Parada the drummer

I’ve got some unfortunate and difficult news to share. I know many of my close friends and family would’ve preferred to hear this privately first - and I apologize for the public nature of my disclosure, but I don’t know how to have this conversation multiple times.

Given my personal medical history and the side-effect profile of these jabs, my doctor has advised me not to get a shot at this time

I caught the virus over a year ago, it was mild for me - so I am confident I’d be able to handle it again, but I’m not so certain I’d survive another post-vaccination round of Guillain-Barré Syndrome

which dates back to my childhood and has evolved to be progressively worse over my lifetime. Unfortunately for me, (and my family - who is hoping to keep me around a bit longer) the risks far outweigh the benefits.

Since I am unable to comply with what is increasingly becoming an industry mandate - it has recently been decided that I am unsafe to be around, in the studio, and on tour. I mention this because you won’t be seeing me at these upcoming shows.

I also want to share my story so that anyone else experiencing the agony and isolation of getting left behind right now - knows they’re not entirely alone.

I have no negative feelings towards my band. They’re doing what they believe is best for them, while I am doing the same. Wishing the entire Offspring family all the best as they get back at it!

I’m heartbroken not to be seeing my road community, and I will miss connecting with the fans more than I can express in words.

While my reason for not getting this jab is medical, I want to make sure I’m not carving out a space that is only big enough for me. I need to state, unequivocally, that I support informed consent - which necessitates choice unburdened by coercion.

I do not find it ethical or wise to allow those with the most power (government, corporations, organizations, employers) to dictate medical procedures to those with the least power.

There are countless folks (like me) for whom these shots carry a greater risk than the virus. Most of us don’t publicly share a private decision we made in careful consideration with our doctors. We know it’s not an easy conversation to unfold.

If it looks like half the population is having a shockingly different reaction to these jabs than was expected - it’s probably because their life experiences have actually been shockingly different,

and their reasons range from a conscientious risk/benefit analysis, to the financial inability to take time off work/lack of health care in the event of potential side-effects,

to an understandable distrust in a system that has never prioritized the health or well-being of their communities.

hope we can learn to make room for all the perspectives and fears that are happening currently. Let’s avoid the unfortunate tendency to dominate, dehumanize and shout down at each other. The hesitant population is not a monolithic group. All voices deserve to be heard.

In the meantime, I’m in the midst of launching a project and releasing some music with my daughter, so please stay tuned for all of that. I deeply appreciate your understanding and support as my family and I find a new way forward.

Sending love to everyone who has been impacted by this pandemic, in all the ways lives have been lost and altered

What a fucking evil piece of shit vomit goblin Parada is /s

If money and profit was no object, couldn't the big vaccine designers have sold off their IP rights dirt cheap for the next two years so that the other medical manufacturers could have gotten the whole planet vaccinated by now?

Dumbass Governor regrets his dumbass decision to support and sign into law the dumbass legislation passed in the dumbass state legislature to ban mask mandates in their state. Dumbass wants dumbass legislature to come back together and undo their dumbass legislation.

article said:
The Republican was asked at a press conference Tuesday why he signed the ban. He replied, “Our cases were at a low point. Everything has changed now, and yes, in hindsight, I wish that had not become law, but it is the law, and the only chance we have is either to amend it or for the courts to say that it has an unconstitutional foundation.”

The governor has called the state Legislature back for a special session in an attempt to change the law to allow local school districts to enact their own rules to protect younger students who are not yet eligible for the vaccine.

"The local school districts should make the call, and they should have more options to make sure that their school is a safe environment during a very challenging time for education,” Hutchinson said at the press conference.
What a dumbass.

He could be lying or telling the truth. Who knows.

The drummer does.

And he could easily give the information to his band mates. They might well decide that a different drummer is better in the long run and decide to switch. Maybe his mates just don't want to risk having their tour interrupted by his health issues.
Tom

Maybe Twitter should have Parada show them his medical records proving that he has Guillain-Barré Syndrome or force him to delete that tweet.

What a fucking evil piece of shit vomit goblin

What kind of crap is this?

I know nothing about this guy. But I do know that there are people out there who are strongly discouraged by their doctors from getting the vaccine, due to medical conditions nobody has any control over.

I know nothing about this guy. But
fucking evil piece of shit vomit goblin
?

Seriously?
Tom

Back
Top Bottom