• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Sturgis;

The event attracted about 462,000, 649 total cases traced back to the event

Hardly anyone got the virus, so no, not really a "super spreader" event. The "study" is pretty shit anyway. A lot of speculation.

You kinda skipped over this last paragraph.
The authors noted that the number of cases—140 per 100,000 attendees—is likely an underestimate because rally goers with no symptoms or mild illness may not have sought testing or reported attending the event, and health department resources to identify and interview contacts may have been limited.

It's very important.
Tom

Sturgis;

The event attracted about 462,000, 649 total cases traced back to the event

Hardly anyone got the virus, so no, not really a "super spreader" event. The "study" is pretty shit anyway. A lot of speculation.

Would you care to share your credentials in epidemiology?

Because from where I'm sitting, you simply don't like what you read--and you didn't read the entire piece.

I'm fine with what I read. What I read was out of approximately 460k+ attendees not many people got infected.

Here's the truth: We're never going to be able to determine how many MORE COVID cases spread from the 10 day 2020 Sturgis gathering due to the failure of state and local health officials to identify and monitor attendees returning home or to trace chains of transmission after people got sick. SD Governor Noem isn't interested in doing anything that might slow down the fevor to attend this year's rally at Sturgis or to do anything that will call into question the wisdom of her policies related to COVID 19. OTOH, she was more than happy to offload patients to neighboring states, pushing other state's capacity to care for its own patients to the limits.

It is you that doesn't like what you read, a complete lack of a Covid apocalypse. So you bluster.

I'm fine with what I read. What I read was out of approximately 460k+ attendees not many people got infected.

No, you didn't read that very well, or you'd have noticed "traced back".

Frankly, it's a good thing I'm not in the healthcare biz right now.

If someone showed up at the hospital with C19 symptoms, and told me they weren't vaccinated and don't believe in masks or distancing, I'd put them on a gurney and wheel them to the basement. Maybe they'd get better, maybe not. As I flipped off the lights I'd say, "Let's see what God and Trump want to happen."
Tom

Tswizzle, you are taking up a lot of bandwidth with your nonsense posts.

Yes, there is some bullshit with the narrative and some corruption and excessive fear mongering and general government incompetence.

But holy shit, call your shots better than this. Being reflexively anti mainstream is often more dumb than the MSM sheeple are.

Would you care to share your credentials in epidemiology?

Because from where I'm sitting, you simply don't like what you read--and you didn't read the entire piece.

Here's the truth: We're never going to be able to determine how many MORE COVID cases spread from the 10 day 2020 Sturgis gathering due to the failure of state and local health officials to identify and monitor attendees returning home or to trace chains of transmission after people got sick. SD Governor Noem isn't interested in doing anything that might slow down the fevor to attend this year's rally at Sturgis or to do anything that will call into question the wisdom of her policies related to COVID 19. OTOH, she was more than happy to offload patients to neighboring states, pushing other state's capacity to care for its own patients to the limits.

It is you that doesn't like what you read, a complete lack of a Covid apocalypse. So you bluster.

You think I don’t like what I read? You’re right: I am horrified at the hand waving incompetence and ignorance of those who think that more than 600,000 people in the US —and counting—have died of this disease and more than 4 million world wide have died—so far is no big deal because it has t happened to them. Yet. I’m terrified that someone I care about whose work puts them in contact with the general public will become ill and possibly die. I have family members who are sick right now. I’m angry at how many people —how many health care workers who are so much more than just exhausted, who risk their own lives and the lives of their loved ones because of idiots who are such big babies that they cannot get a vaccination or wear a stupid mask because Trumpie might not think they are loyal enough idiots. They think they’re tough but unless that’s a new slang word for stupid selfish self centered ignorant baby, they’re 100% wrong as so many people have said just before they are vented. I’m pissed at everything I have given up and will continue to give up because of blustering idiots who think a virus gives a shit about your politics or your religion.

Bluster? That’s all you’ve got.

You think I don’t like what I read? You’re right: I am horrified at the hand waving incompetence and ignorance of those who think that more than 600,000 people in the US —and counting—have died of this disease and more than 4 million world wide have died—so far is no big deal because it has t happened to them. Yet. I’m terrified that someone I care about whose work puts them in contact with the general public will become ill and possibly die. I have family members who are sick right now. I’m angry at how many people —how many health care workers who are so much more than just exhausted, who risk their own lives and the lives of their loved ones because of idiots who are such big babies that they cannot get a vaccination or wear a stupid mask because Trumpie might not think they are loyal enough idiots. They think they’re tough but unless that’s a new slang word for stupid selfish self centered ignorant baby, they’re 100% wrong as so many people have said just before they are vented. I’m pissed at everything I have given up and will continue to give up because of blustering idiots who think a virus gives a shit about your politics or your religion.

No, bluster is all you have got. The Sturgis event was not the "super spreader" apocalypse you claim or want it to be so you go off on a rant about something completely different.

Why are you so disappointed that the Sturgis gathering wasn't the apocalypse you want it to be ?

Tswizzle, you are taking up a lot of bandwidth with your nonsense posts.

Yes, there is some bullshit with the narrative and some corruption and excessive fear mongering and general government incompetence.

But holy shit, call your shots better than this. Being reflexively anti mainstream is often more dumb than the MSM sheeple are.

"Often"?
Maybe I simply don't understand what is meant by "reflexively anti mainstream", but I assume that it includes lapping up dis/misinformation whenever convenient to support specious arguments.
It renders certain people NWRT.

No, bluster is all you have got. The Sturgis event was not the "super spreader" apocalypse you claim or want it to be so you go off on a rant about something completely different.

Why are you so disappointed that the Sturgis gathering wasn't the apocalypse you want it to be ?

You're the only one I know of who refers to C19 problems as "apocalypse".

Does a problem that doesn't reach your standards of apocalyptic become unimportant? That's the sense I get from your posts.
Tom

Does a problem that doesn't reach your standards of apocalyptic become unimportant? That's the sense I get from your posts.
Tom

Like so many adjectives, "apocalyptic" is a subjective judgment.
Maybe if you offered a threshold - expressed in numbers of deaths over, say, a year - whereupon in your opinion something becomes apocalyptic, a basis could be formed upon which a constructive discussion could be held.
Care to give it a try?

Tom

Maybe if you offered a threshold - expressed in numbers of deaths over, say, a year - whereupon in your opinion something becomes apocalyptic, a basis could be formed upon which a constructive discussion could be held.
Care to give it a try?

To me, an apocalypse is an existential threat to the human race. It's usually a supernatural threat.

In my experience, it's a term used in fiction. Scripture, action movies, things like that.

For all the disasters caused by C19, none are apocalyptic.
Tom

What a bunch of trump doodie.

Please note that I am neither author nor source of any of the articles describing Sturgis2020 as a super spreader event.

I really really really wish that all of this COVID19 stuff was as fake as you are pretending to believe.

Still waiting for your credentials. Other than two working fingers and and internet connection.

Please note that I am neither author nor source of any of the articles describing Sturgis2020 as a super spreader event.

I really really really wish that all of this COVID19 stuff was as fake as you are pretending to believe.

Still waiting for your credentials. Other than two working fingers and and internet connection.

Yes, everything is Trump. The TDS is stronger in some here.

YOU declared that Sturgis was a "super spreader" event. When called out on it you posted a very weak study to try to back up your silly claim. Then you go off on a rant and finally flounce out trying to insult me.

Actually the alleged Sturgis super spreader report was shown to be fake news.

The media used video of large crowds at past events. The actual event reported on was not very big.

Mainstream and left leaning media can be just as misleading as the right.

YOU declared that Sturgis was a "super spreader" event. When called out on it you posted a very weak study to try to back up your silly claim. Then you go off on a rant and finally flounce out trying to insult me.

I referred to Sturgis as a super spreader event because that’s how it was widely referred to by multiple media sources in 2020. You think I made that up and then convinced U of Minn to fake a study for me, just so I could own the Covid deniers???????

Still waiting for your credentials to evaluate whether a study is sufficiently rigorous in evaluating data.

But I know you so: Rant on.

The media used video of large crowds at past events. The actual event reported on was not very big.

Why, though?

Honestly, I care about Sturgis about as much as I care about Olympic women's weightlifting. Which borders on zero.

But why would "the media" post pics that are from years past, other than the Sturgis sponsor folks preferring not to have their event look so puny?
Tom

Why, though?

Honestly, I care about Sturgis about as much as I care about Olympic women's weightlifting. Which borders on zero.

But why would "the media" post pics that are from years past, other than the Sturgis sponsor folks preferring not to have their event look so puny?
Tom

I understand why the media might not want to dive into the middle of a super spreader event. They aren't all stupid. Even at Fox.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/4394...gust 7 through 14,DOT told Rapid City Journal.

Crowd size was down about 7%.

https://context-cdn.washingtonpost....58d/note/fff0e200-c888-4f18-bcb4-13fafd400437.

Key Findings
Rallygoers arrived in large numbers from across the nation.
● 462,182 attendees were counted by the South Dakota Department of Transportation.
● Just under half of attendees are estimated to have arrived from Great Plains states (222,450
attendees, for 48% of total)
● One-fifth of attendees were estimated to come specifically from South Dakota (20.1%).
● Rally attendees hailed from more than half of US counties (55.2%).
● Outside of the Great Plains, we also detected substantial attendees from:
○ Minnesota (31,433; 6.8% of rally attendees)
○ California (20,766; 4.5%)
○ Illinois (15,994; 3.5%)
○ Wisconsin (14,556; 3.1%)
○ Missouri (11,434; 2.5%)
○ Washington State (11,133; 2.4%)
○ Arizona (10,036; 2.2%)
○ Michigan (9,881; 2.1%)
1 Excluding South Dakota, these are Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico.

http://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf

Tom

Care to give it a try?

To me, an apocalypse is an existential threat to the human race. It's usually a supernatural threat.

Obviously apocalypses never wipe out the human race, or we wouldn’t have an entire genre of “post-apocalypse” movies and books and stories.

I referred to Sturgis as a super spreader event because that’s how it was widely referred to by multiple media sources in 2020.

Yeah but it wasn't a "super spreader event". So now you know. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom