• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

I've been talking about the Next Big Variant for some time now and why that should be a concern. I think the press is starting to catch on now, though they are starting to become focused on delta-plus too much. In many developing countries, vaccine rates are so low, that if delta-plus is not the NBV, then some other variant will be it there.

And so I have to jump ahead again.... There is basically no stopping it any more. The world has failed to stop the spread of sars coronavirus-2. It has become part of the fabric of society, in a sense like seasonal flus but more dangerous. We have to just admit it and then decide how we want to deal with this fact.

I'm just throwing this out there. Do we need to adapt to this change forever now?
  • Vaccines every year for covid made available to general public, like we do with flu;
  • More vaccines every 6 months for elderly, obese, and other at-risk persons;
  • Vaccinations required for health care workers like with flu vaccines;
  • What other groups ought to be required for vaccinations for the REST OF OUR LIVES?
  • A significant change in Western culture to adopt the Asian cultural practice of mask-wearing when we believe we are sick with respiratory illness. Is that even enough?
Simply put, with the vaccinated contracting it, what can be done other than accept it, and everyone gets it. I'm currently pushing for the super-spikes where enough people get it, we develop herd immunity and a lucky 10 or so percent of people never get it.

I no longer think herd immunity is an option...more like herd resistance, i.e. vaccinated people get it, too, at a large rate. This isn't like polio because vaccinated and previously infected get it but less severely. And the severity mitigation may stay in place for a few years...but because the world cannot synchronize vacvinations, there will always be a NBV. TNBV will always be risky to breaking the prevention and treatments. So it's a never-ending war. IMO.

Depends what masks you are talking about.

Generally the correct answer here is:

1: Help to reduce the chances that people who have Covid will spreadi the virus to others
2: less effective but still somewhat effective at helping non sick people from catching covid from people with Covid.

Unfortunately for the mask and lockdown cultists there is no evidence to support this theory.

https://talkfreethought.org/showthread.php?22276-Covid-19-miscellany&p=924888#post924888

You must know at this point that that's not true.

There's not only plenty of evidence; But that evidence has been posted FOUR TIMES in this thread, with nary an acknowledgment of it.

I know the politics forum is more lax than the science fora in its standards of evidence required of claimants, but seriously you cannot at this point be unaware of the existence of strong evidence, and your repeated claim that no evidence exists cannot be anything other than a deliberate falsehood.

Depends what masks you are talking about.

Was soap and water designed to kill Covid?

Soaps and disinfectants etc were designed to kill germs etc. Not specifically designed to kill covid but it will kill most virus. And there is chemistry behind that, science stuff.

There's chemistry and science stuff behind mask wearing too. You just refuse to accept it even though it's been shown to you numerous times.

It’s all political theater.

I actually agree with you that something is going on, but I don't think it's that masking means nothing. She likely felt that because she was outdoors and vaccinated that she was fine to be maskless and that for sake of Public Perception, she should always be masked when she realized she is on camera. So, yeah, I think she did it for the camera, but because masks are important, not unimportant. This is probably a difficult thing for conservative minds to deal with honestly out in the open because it makes for such easy propaganda to simple-minded sheep. And so I would just warn you that people in the forum are smarter than you give them credit for and can get nuance.

So, one image is a few people in an open area and then we have a crowded group of people sitting together.... and we are supposed to take your comments seriously?

I'd never wish death on anyone but in this place in history, the Death by Covid of multiple prominent and high profile anti-mask, anti-vaccine morons could save thousands or hundreds of thousands of lives.

I wonder how many lives would be saved if DeSandis were to die of Covid.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/05/poli...-biden-donald-trump-covid-politics/index.html

I'd never wish death on anyone but in this place in history, the Death by Covid of multiple prominent and high profile anti-mask, anti-vaccine morons could save thousands or hundreds of thousands of lives.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/05/poli...-biden-donald-trump-covid-politics/index.html

Kids will die because of Governor Deathsentence.

Yes and many more will likely, because of Covid, develop a new, totally unnecessary medical condition from having had Covid such as no taste/smell, lung problems, Covid Fog and the laundry list of other long term conditions that people have developed as a result of having had Covid.

Oh and don't forget that the GOP would love to eliminate the part in the ACA that prohibits the exclusion of pre-existing conditions in health insurance.

They really are a death Cult

I actually agree with you that something is going on, but I don't think it's that masking means nothing. She likely felt that because she was outdoors and vaccinated that she was fine to be maskless and that for sake of Public Perception, she should always be masked when she realized she is on camera. So, yeah, I think she did it for the camera, but because masks are important, not unimportant. This is probably a difficult thing for conservative minds to deal with honestly out in the open because it makes for such easy propaganda to simple-minded sheep. And so I would just warn you that people in the forum are smarter than you give them credit for and can get nuance.

Good grief.

Good grief.

Come on, you can do better than that. You have a whole range of crazy conspiracy theories and conservative rants to choose from. The world is your oyster.

Governors Ron DeSantis and Greg Abbot. One man death panels in their respective states.

Governors Ron DeSantis and Greg Abbot. One man death panels in their respective states.
A person can't choose to end their life or have an abortion because of the sanctity of life.

But jebus christ! If someone steps in the way of another's liberty To spread a pandemic.... make way... individual liberty for the win!!!!

Left wing authoritarian wants not wearing a mask to be a criminal offense;

Sadiq Khan has said that failing to wear a face mask on the Tube should become a criminal offence. The London Mayor has been pushing the the government to allow Transport for London (TfL) to impose a by-law requiring face coverings on the capital's transport network. Speaking to the BBC's Newscast podcast Mr Khan said: 'We are trying to lobby the Government to allow us to bring in a bye-law, so it will be the law again, so we can issue fixed penalty notices and we can use the police service and BTP to enforce this.' <>face coverings are still compulsory on the Tube despite other transport networks choosing not to make them a requirement. However since the change TfL has said the overall compliance rate remains high at 85 per cent.

DailMail

Without producing a shred of evidence that face masks do anything to "stop the spread" or "is for safety", Khan will try to fine people that do not comply (which is precious few) with the covid theatrics. Or put another way, Kahn: '"Hmm, how do I distract people from the rampant knife crime in London?"

Let's see if a thwack with a clue-by-4 can get through to you:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/one-more-time-masks-work/

Seat belts don't prevent car crashes.

Lets add traffic signals, stop signs, yield signs, having a license, safety inspections, registrations, traffic cops, vision testing, etc. None of these measures have ever been "tested." I demand proof!

And they need to be well-done tests. After all, the BMJ published a study showing parachutes were of no benefit when jumping out of an airplane. (Completely legit--they really had people jump out of an airplane with and without parachutes and got the same outcome in both cases. It's just it was a small plane parked on the ground, you didn't need a chute. It was really about cherry-picked test conditions.)

Let's please include soap and water. There are zero tests demonstrating that handwashing does any good to stop the spread of Covid.

It probably doesn't as Covid is an airborne transmission. However, if you did have it on your hands, soap does break down many germs and virus. Chemistry and all that, well established.

Actually, there is some benefit. Covid on your hands isn't going to make you sick--but people tend to touch their face. That could transfer contamination to where it could actually infect you. Don't take your mask off until you clean your hands. (In places with good enough contact tracing there has been surface transfer confirmed.)

Unfortunately for the mask and lockdown cultists there is no evidence to support this theory.

Why do you think that a surgeon doing surgery on a heart patient wears a mask? Is it to keep the heart patient from passing a disease to the surgeon or is it to keep the surgeon from passing an illness to the heart patient?

It's to stop debris, moisture etc dropping in to the patients open cavities. It's not what you appear to think it is. I also expect medical masks to be of superior quality to the bandanas and chinese knock off multi used "masks" that people wear like a good luck charm.

:pigsfly:

He does have something of a point--there are a lot of extremely low protection masks people use, including some which are actually worse than useless. Mask mandates should be surgical or higher, not merely face covering.

Back
Top Bottom