• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Also 0.05% median death rate is utter garbage, because overall death rate in US is already 0.2%.
I have no idea how that retard got 0.05% rate for infected when US has 0.2% for all people. US population is 1.2 billion and they are all were exposed/infected? John P A Ioannidis is a fucking idiot!

Not impossible--he's talking about the risk to younger people, not to the whole population. However, the guy does seem to have gone off the deep end.

... The parking lot after a school board meeting last night in Franklin, the wealthiest place in Tennessee....
Speaking of Tennessee, I just read that the Border Police seized a number of fake "I've been vaccinated" certificates in Tennessee. (The fake cards are made in China and apparently detectable because some of the Spanish on the card is misspelled.)

Using such a fake card carries a maximum sentence of 5 years. I'd like to see a few fake-card criminals get the maximum!

I've heard those cards are selling for 450 bucks a piece. The vaccine is free. Morons.

Wouldn't it be funny if they secretly treated the cards so they would spell out "Fraudulent" if viewed under black light?

He won't drive a car because of the Pinto.

Heh.
What a

Of all the cars I've owned, my second favorite was a 76 Pinto. I wish I could still buy a car like that. Simple, sturdy, cheap in every way, comfortable, lots of room for such a small car. No power anything, no automatic transmission, no gew-gaws waiting to break and cost a fortune to fix.
Can't buy a car like that anymore.
Tom

In 2003 I bought a Saturn ION while I was living on a $14k per year student stipend. It had a manual transmission and power nothing. I put 270k trouble free miles on that car before I sold it and bought a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. The Saturn was still running great. I like the gewgaws on the Ridgeline just fine because shit breaks a lot less frequently on our Honda than on pretty much anything built in the 1970s. I especially like the engine that makes 265 HP and still manages to get 30mpg on the highway when I keep the speed around 70mph. Last summer I had a north wind on I95 driving from VA to Florida and went 500 miles on a tank of gas. My first vehicle was an International Harvester. It was a little SUV with a dump truck engine. Couldn't break the engine because the crankshaft and pushrods were engineered for commercial duty and the engine didn't have enough power to break itself. Now all the other shit on that truck? The rust? The electrical quirks? Fuck that. I like my Ridgeline. You know what that IH was so fucking beefy? IH put 3/4 ton suspension and axels in that truck to get around emission standards. I am quite happy to have modern government mandated emission controls. I remember what the air looked like in the great valley of Virginia in the 1970s and 1980s and I remember what the tunnels were like in Hampton Roads. Now the air in the tunnels is about as clean as the outside air was when I was growing up.

Unless you know people in the health care industry, you may not be very much aware of the stress and strain that many are experiencing. It's extreme.

I've posted about this exact issue more than once, here on TFT.

If a hospital chose a policy of turning away patients with C19 symptoms, but no vaccination, I'd be fine with that. Maybe if they had written documentation, from an M.D., explaining why this particular patient can't get a vaccination for C19. But otherwise, I'm fine with simply refusing to admit C19 patients.
And I want the government to stand behind the hospital. Forcibly removing recalcitrant people who insist on treatments.

Eff'em. They chose to take the risk of serious C19. Nobody owes them anymore.
Tom
As a former nurse, I can tell you that this would do nothing to relieve the stress endured by medical professionals. For most of them, it would be unthinkable to not treat someone with a serious illness no matter what kind of person they are. Medical professionals, for the most part, are very compassionate people who are in that field due to their desire to help.

Ruth

As I said earlier.
It's a good thing I'm not in the healthcare biz right now.
Tom

As a former nurse, I can tell you that this would do nothing to relieve the stress endured by medical professionals. For most of them, it would be unthinkable to not treat someone with a serious illness no matter what kind of person they are. Medical professionals, for the most part, are very compassionate people who are in that field due to their desire to help.

Ruth

As I said earlier.
Tom

ETA ~Please explain to me all the healthcare workers who are going to strike rather than get the hospital mandated vaccine. Are those people so devoted to providing services to the sick?~

Ruth

As I said earlier.
Tom

ETA ~Please explain to me all the healthcare workers who are going to strike rather than get the hospital mandated vaccine. Are those people so devoted to providing services to the sick?~
Apples and oranges. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

First, just because you are an antivaxxer does not mean you do not have compassion for those who are ill. In addition to that, it is entirely possible that some people think they ARE showing compassion by trying to convince others that the vaccine is dangerous.

Second, you should also note the small number of those who are quitting compared to those who are/have already gotten the vaccine. I very specifically did not say that everyone in the medical field was there due to their compassion; I said most. And I suspect you would find that many of those who do not have compassion for the ill are included in that small number of those who say they will quit before getting vaccinated. That is simply my personal opinion though.

Ruth

Ruth

As I said earlier.
Tom

Nope. They're standing up for the same rights you want to have to not get vaccinated. They're idiots.

Yeah, the gas tank exploding into a ball of fire was only a minor flaw. No need to impose over-reaching governmental rules and regulations on something so minor...

It was minor.

I knew perfectly well, when I bought it, that it wasn't as safe as my Dad's massive Ford LTD station wagon. I chose it anyway.
Tom

Sure. Tell that to the 500-900 people who died of burns. BTW, one of the most unpleasant, painful, horrific ways to die.

Nope. They're standing up for the same rights you want to have to not get vaccinated. They're idiots.

No they're not.
They should have the right to refuse vaccination. But they don't have the right refuse vaccination and work at the hospital. Or shop at Walmarts or get on a cruise ship or come to my family reunion or go to the liquor store or hold a state job...

Those are all activities with management, and if the management says "get vaccinated or don't come here" I'm fine with it.
Tom

Yeah, the gas tank exploding into a ball of fire was only a minor flaw. No need to impose over-reaching governmental rules and regulations on something so minor...

It was minor.

I knew perfectly well, when I bought it, that it wasn't as safe as my Dad's massive Ford LTD station wagon. I chose it anyway.
Tom

Sure. Tell that to the 500-900 people who died of burns. BTW, one of the most unpleasant, painful, horrific ways to die.

The free market solved that problem: those people never bought another Pinto.

It was minor.

Tom

The Pinto was a good car, for the money. As a result, it was very popular and Ford sold millions of them. It was built for about 8 years. Any idea how many people died ugly deaths during those 8 years driving other models?

Do you ever wonder how different American fuel consumption patterns might have been if people like Ralph Nader hadn't scared American buyers away from small, fuel efficient, cars?
Tom

Please, please, PLEASE!
Read things aloud before you show them to other people!

20210816_183906.png

Betcha my vaccination scar isn't as embarrassing as yours...

No they're not.
They should have the right to refuse vaccination. But they don't have the right refuse vaccination and work at the hospital. Or shop at Walmarts or get on a cruise ship or come to my family reunion or go to the liquor store or hold a state job...

Those are all activities with management, and if the management says "get vaccinated or don't come here" I'm fine with it.
Tom

I’m not sure how that differs from what you wrote.

When my mother was a girl, she contracted scarlet fever, which is a strep infection with rash. Normally resolved but people did die from it in the days before antibiotics—which is when my mother became ill. The entire household was under quarantine for six weeks, including her siblings, some of whom elected to not return to school and blamed my mother.

There was no choice: no one was allowed to leave. Fortunately she lived on a farm so there was food. What coujj look don’t be provided on the farm was delivered at the end of the lane.

This was simply the standard of the day-much more draconian than anything proposed today.

Reactions: jab

The Pinto was a good car, for the money. As a result, it was very popular and Ford sold millions of them. It was built for about 8 years. Any idea how many people died ugly deaths during those 8 years driving other models?

Do you ever wonder how different American fuel consumption patterns might have been if people like Ralph Nader hadn't scared American buyers away from small, fuel efficient, cars?
Tom

Nah, I wonder why Ford couldn’t be assed to design a small,fuel efficient car that didn’t explode into flames.

This is what happens with abstinence only Sex-Ed in the deep south.

On second thought, the website is umm... https://lindafinegold.com

So it could be legit or sarcastic. Hard to tell with assholes.

Pack of five for $5. This is sarcasm, trying to spread it far and wide, quickly.
If it was real, it'd be $50 for two.

Back
Top Bottom