• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

So...let's see-- we have, spurred on by Conservative media and politicians promoting livestock medicine, a huge uptick in Conservatives getting sick from taking livestock medicine, but being unable to get hospital beds due to the huge uptick in Conservatives celebrating their freedumbs by not getting a free, effective, and widely available vaccine taking up those beds.

This may not be the worst thing in the world for America, and if nothing else, seems poised to ratchet our collective IQ incrementally higher.

In all fairness, the media (even Fox) has not taken the time to spell out the integrated, holistic setting which is the only setting for taking ivermectin. If you're going to try ivermectin, for God's sake go full Trump with it.
1) Your diet needs to include high quality grains, cereal grasses (premium alfalfa), and an occasional apple.
2) Salt block is a MUST. If you can afford it, get pink Himalayan salt.
3) Proper bedding may include a mat but you can do just as well with a simple layer of wood shavings or rice hulls.
4) Have a physician look over your new health regimen. Obviously you will have to find an enlightened MD who is not hung up on CDC "research" or "medical updates". Ask for a complete physical exam and do not overlook withers and hocks.
5) (Men only) It is advisable to have a technician collect semen on a regular basis, either by standard palpation (the preferred Trump method) or by electroejaculation (which was often practiced by Melania, but in an entirely different context and from a different agenda.)
6) (Females only) A mix of fresh clover and hyssop will enhance the action of ivermectin, but also spur the libido and increase fertility.
7) Spray your quarters for horseflies and other vermin. Allow time in the sun but always have shade available. Do not bite your doctor.

Ivermectin is commonly used in veterinary medicine to treat parasitic infections but it IS also used in humans to treat parasitic infections.

COVID19 is not a parasite.

Ivermectin must be used with caution for anyone who also has kidney or liver disease or has a compromised immune system. The dosage is obviously different for a human vs a horse.

Ivermectin HAS been studied in vitro studies as an anti-viral medication, where it seems to reduce the number of cell associated viral RNA by over 98%. But those are in vitro not in vitro studies.

Ivermectin can cause a great many side effects.

The thing that does provide me with some confusion with the Ivermectin and the hydroxychloroquine is the two faced talk.

1) Covid-19 isn't a big deal
2) Distancing and masks are a lie
3) But... I'm going to take these drugs for off label purposes cause Teh Internetz said so to protect me from Covid-19

Partisan anti-vaxxers aren't credited with much in the way of brains, but the logic above has got to be some of the most tortured partisan-think there is.

Since there are many posts about Invermectin, I thought I'd change the subject a bit. I finally figured out how to correctly gift an article from the NYTimes, so hopefully this one will be available for 14 days for any of you who are interested. It's about the economic fallout from the pandemic that has led to shortages of all kinds of things, and the huge increase in transporting these things. It does make one wonder how long this will continue and what impact it will have on the world's economy if this pandemic doesn't end soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/30/business/supply-chain-shortages.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuonUktbfqohkQFUYAybfQMMmqBCdnr_U3aQkgm67JyicSDAH1OQSGZSJ9ErWI6p_Yt95lxKqeOh8Cp59Dvpj0r0YeEV3VwijppbDxMpcfHw48Yj2AGlshteQU-sxtG63NjH8eOollO21tEmMPDXpS7WfhSN6XHtto5BmfV2u3XAalOySQqMuhI4Ijbp2DYt6RDwDeCCAo_Pqbh17M92HZR3cgRIkD6AbAXqA2I7BtM9TNVlaGlnET3tg4GYj6Nk6ON0fPKz3KxRIa9P2A-6HpJNXJ5_QllJ-vpcA&smid=url-share

Delays, product shortages and rising costs continue to bedevil businesses large and small. And consumers are confronted with an experience once rare in modern times: no stock available, and no idea when it will come in.

Read the article and give your opinion. I thought about posting this in the inflation thread, but since it's related to the pandemic......

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/30/health/covid-ivermectin-prescriptions.html

I"m adding an article about Ivermectin in case some need to discuss it more.

I saw some clips from Faux so called news that had pundits who appeared to be pushing this drug, despite the lack of evidence that it does anything for COVID. Now, I understand why so many people who believe the bullshit they hear on that network ran out to buy a potentially harmful, otherwise useless drug for COVID!

For the past week, Dr. Gregory Yu, an emergency physician in San Antonio, has received the same daily requests from his patients, some vaccinated for Covid-19 and others unvaccinated: They ask him for ivermectin, a drug typically used to treat parasitic worms that has repeatedly failed in clinical trials to help people infected with the coronavirus.

Dr. Yu has refused the ivermectin requests, he said, but he knows some of his colleagues have not. Prescriptions for ivermectin have seen a sharp rise in recent weeks, jumping to more than 88,000 per week in mid-August from a prepandemic baseline average of 3,600 per week, according to researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Some pharmacists are even reporting shortages of the drug. Travis Walthall, a pharmacist in Kuna, Idaho, a town of about 20,000 people, said that this summer alone he had filled more than 20 ivermectin prescriptions, up from two or three in a typical year. For the past week he has not been able to obtain the drug from his suppliers; they were all out.

Mr. Walthall was astonished, he said, at how many people were willing to take an unapproved drug for Covid. “I’m like, gosh, this is horrible,” he said.

( This is supposed to be one of the gifted articles, but I'm not sure the NYT link is working correctly based on my previous attempts to post this link here )

Basically it talks about people going nuts trying to buy Ivermectin. Now the poor animals who need this for parasites might not have access due to stupid humans. Plus, the dosage sold in feed stores in for an animal that weighs about 1000 lbs, No wonder people are getting sick from this drug. Idiocracy is here.

I saw some clips from Faux so called news that had pundits who appeared to be pushing this drug, despite the lack of evidence that it does anything for COVID.

I shouldn't chuckle at the bizarre ignorance. I know I shouldn't laugh at other people's pain.

The Schadenfreude made me do it!

This reminds me of all the people who are convinced, by the evidence, that Jesus Rose from the Tomb. But the evidence for speciation through natural selection just isn't strong enough to convince them of Evolution.

Tom

Regarding "off label" usage of medicines what level of discretion should doctors have?

Along the spectrum from zero to total discretion there must be a sweet spot depending on the disease and the medication.

Has anyone here ever been aided by what was technically an off label use of a medication?

From Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-label_use

n the United States, once a drug has been approved for sale for one purpose, physicians are free to prescribe it for any other purpose that in their professional judgment is both safe and effective, and are not limited to official, FDA-approved indications.[19] Pharmaceutical companies are not allowed to promote a drug for any other purpose without formal FDA approval. Marketing information for the drug will list one or more indications, that is, illnesses or medical conditions for which the drug has been shown to be both safe and effective.

This off-label prescribing is most commonly done with older, generic medications that have found new uses but have not had the formal (and often costly) applications and studies required by the FDA to formally approve the drug for these new indications. However, there is often extensive medical literature to support the off-label use.

A leading example of how regulatory agencies approach off-label use is provided by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA)'s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, which reviews a company's New Drug Application (NDA) for clinical trial data to see if the results support the drug for a specific use or indication.[20] If satisfied that the drug is safe and effective, the drug's manufacturer and the FDA agree on specific language describing dosage, route of administration, and other information to be included on the drug's label. More detail is included in the drug's package insert.

You know, the CDC has done absolutely nothing to test to see if shoving a cattle prod into Sen Paul's rectum could provide other people relief from Covid-19. I wonder why that is. :thinking:
And now an Ohio judge has ordered a hospital to treat a covid patient with Ivermectin.

Seems the patient's wife found a doctor crazy enough to write a prescription for it, but the hospital was refusing to administer it.
Wow! So, this creates an odd paradox. Doctor prescribes it, but hospital won't provide it because guy doesn't have a parasite(s).

I have no doubt the hospital will not provide it for a simple reason, as if he gets sick from them giving him a drug off label, if for no other reason, they are liable! This woman sounds desperate. The fact she is doing this in place of her husband means he is likely dying. I wish the right-wing would stop egging people on like this. It is grossly unethical.

And now an Ohio judge has ordered a hospital to treat a covid patient with Ivermectin.

Seems the patient's wife found a doctor crazy enough to write a prescription for it, but the hospital was refusing to administer it.

The BAD news is, the patient recovered fully, but faces quite a daunting medical bill.
The GOOD news is, money is no object, as he subsequently won the Preakness and the Kentucky Derby.

May the patient die as a proud and defiant Patriot, the grieving widow try to sue the judge "who killed her husband" and be told, "uh, fuck you," and may the dipshit judge who caved to this nonsense be sanctioned in whatever ways a judge can be, for shit like this. *

*not even sure a mechanism like this exists, outside of, obviously, being elected off the bench. Don't judges have a sort of "immunity" that insulates them from consequences of their legal rulings?

This is an interesting story about FDA approval of a very old drug jackinng up the prices and bilking medicaid

share to facebook
share to twitter
share to linkedin
email article
A bottle of Colchicine capsules in front of a vortex of $100 bills

Colchicine, the old gout drug often cited as a cheap anti-inflammatory, hasn't been such a good deal since FDA approval, a study showed.

The inflation- and rebate-adjusted Medicaid price per pill jumped from $0.24 in 2008 to $4.20 after the FDA officially approved a branded form, Colcrys, through the agency's Unapproved Drug Initiative pathway in 2009.

"Colcrys's manufacturer, which conducted a 1-week trial (n=185), received 3 years' market exclusivity for treatment of acute gout, and the unapproved formulations were soon ordered off the market, resulting in a virtual monopoly," McCormick's group noted.

"Furthermore, Colcrys was granted patents for this centuries-old drug until 2029. Thus, although more than six independent generics have FDA approval to date, only authorized generics with price points set by brand-name companies are currently available to treat acute gout, pericarditis, and now potentially millions with myocardial infarction" following the COLCOT trial.

Another about this program that lasted from 2006 and ended (surprisingly in the graft happy Trump admin) in 2020

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/supply-chain/unapproved-drug-initiative-adds-up-30-billion-healthcare-costs

A regulatory pathway that aims to ensure drug safety is inflating healthcare spending by billions of dollars, according to a new report.

Four widely used drugs funneled through the Unapproved Drug Initiative will increase spending by more than $20.25 billion over a five-year span as manufacturers hiked prices between 525% to 1,644%, a new Vizient analysis found. Vizient identified another 19 unapproved drugs that could increase costs by $8.75 billion.

"Our members remember these drugs costing dollars, now they are seeing up to 1,600% increases for essential medicines they have been dispensing for their whole careers. This is a slippery slope for irresponsible price increases," said Dan Kistner, group senior vice president for pharmacy solutions at Vizient, a group purchasing organization. "Hospitals are absorbing additional cost for drugs that are not innovative, not curing new diseases, do not have overwhelming R&D investment, and are often the preferred drug of choice."

Will you have a fully open asshole for the STD infested cock of the FDA given the disgusting corruption on display here?

When many of you were 20 years old did you think you would be defending corrupt government agencies like slavering dogs? This is pathetic.

Select "Embed tweet" from the drop down on the Twitter page. Then "Copy code". Then paste and wrap tweet tags around it here.

Viola.

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Anti vaxxers who take horse dewormer Ivermectin shall hereby be referred to as neighsayers.</p>— Brett Meiselas (@BMeiselas) <a href="https://twitter.com/BMeiselas/status/1431868922907684866?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[/TWEET]

Or river blindness medicine takers

Aw, why the long face?

Last antivax post is Aug 16.
Aug 17: tested positive.
And dead between Aug 20 and 27.
That's 3-10 days. Awfully fast.

I have been noticing cases of quick timespans from tests to deaths in the antivaxxers. I'm wondering whether it's because they wait longer to get tested or get treatment, from being in denial about their condition. Here's one such case.

Covid vaccine refuser died after terrible mistake, says partner - BBC News

Ms Mitchell said her partner, a Cambridge University graduate, decided against having a coronavirus jab after reading material on social media.

She said: "It was a daily thing that he said to us: 'You don't need to have it, you'll be fine, just be careful.'

////

Daughter Carla Hodges, 35, said: "[Leslie] was so brainwashed by the stuff that he was seeing on YouTube and social media.

"He said: 'A lot of people will die more from having the vaccine than getting Covid.'"

Leslie Lawrenson died July 2. On his facebook page, he first reports getting tested June 24 and which was positive. On 6/23 he first posted about feeling ill, but said he had been ill for a "couple of weeks" already, and after coming into contact with someone who tested positive a couple days after the contact. So he didn't bother to test for a couple of weeks of symptoms and having a known exposure, because of this attitude,

Lawrenson on 6/24 said:
As horrible as the last 24 hours have been, I'm glad I've got Covid 19. As I said in my vlog, I'd rather have the antibodies in my blood and develop natural immunity than take the experimental jab.

His last post was 6/26 but he never did get treatment, he died at home.

The way to turn this around is to say that the vaccine gives temporary bridging immunity until a person would get covid and then have long term immunity in a much safer way.

Who knows exactly if this is true, but it is a way to push vaccines, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom