• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

I keep noticing that that the craziest ones are women. What's up with that?

I haven't seen the evidence that supports this assertion. I will say that people, for some reason, expect women to be over all more liberal than men. This clearly isn't always the case as more white women voted for Trump over HRC in 2016. Stunningly, 55% of white women voted for Trump in 2020 vs only 43% for Biden.

https://19thnews.org/2020/11/white-women-had-doubts-they-voted-for-trump-anyway/

Weird, you said you had not seen the evidence and then proceeded to provide the evidence.

I keep noticing that that the craziest ones are women. What's up with that?

I haven't seen the evidence that supports this assertion. I will say that people, for some reason, expect women to be over all more liberal than men. This clearly isn't always the case as more white women voted for Trump over HRC in 2016. Stunningly, 55% of white women voted for Trump in 2020 vs only 43% for Biden.

https://19thnews.org/2020/11/white-women-had-doubts-they-voted-for-trump-anyway/

Weird, you said you had not seen the evidence and then proceeded to provide the evidence.

Touche there. But I'm holding out hope that there is a rational reason for this.

There are just only so many buses we can push unvaccinated adults in front of.

link

article said:
Despite the delta-driven surge of COVID-19, some people are "living (their) best life," taking to social media to share their fear of more lockdowns and anger with the unvaccinated. And mental health professionals are seeing even the most careful rule followers begin to lose momentum.
Pretty much the assholes have controlled the situation. In the Spring, my concern was people were going to be assholes at vacation spots because of a pent up sense of entitlement that they deserved a break and everything the way they wanted.

Well... it seems like we indeed, did get that. And I planned mini-trips to places with fewer people and that worked out.

But what I didn't imagine was so many Americans choosing not to be vaccinated and causing another fucking wave! I didn't think Americans were that stupid. And those that were responsible, didn't spread the disease are left wondering, WTF now? And while others caution about the rights of the unvaccinated, get ready for the vaccinated to start getting angry.

I'm holding out hope that there is a rational reason for this.

I'm very sorry, HB, but if you are hoping for a rational reason that would move 55% of white women to vote for Trump, you need to resign yourself to the fact that there is no such thing.

I wonder if we can tie mandatory vaccinations to Stand Your Ground Laws?

I kinda do.

I'm opposed to giving the government the power to mandate such things. But I'm fine with private entities making their own rules.

Extra $200/month to pay the extra costs of unvaccinated people? Sure.
Mask required in store? Sure.
Unvaccinated people required to mask at work*? Sure.
Parents requiring children to avoid unvaccinated people if they want to live at home? Sure.

I'm much more supportive of various kinds of social pressure than government mandates.
Tom

crazyfingers is obviously a monster, out to deny people their basic freedoms.

In light of this he should be demoted and forced to give up his kitten ration. Or is he supposed to be promoted for the monsterish behavior?

Pooo.

I did find some data here https://www.cnn.com/interactive/202...on-reduce-infection-hospitalization-and-death

Pfizer only 66% effective against Delta.

Vaccinated with Pfizer are 3 and half fold less likely to catch delta than unvaccinated. Don't know where that statistic comes from. I'd be sure it's some average and also included behavior differences.

Of course if my daughter's unvaccinated BF did get covid and my daughter continued to have sex anyway, I'd bet her chances of getting it are greater by a wide margin.

Anyway, like I said, she can use my parent's unoccupied house when my wife gets home. She has a job. She is using a car that I own and I am paying for her insurance to use it. I have no intention of cutting her off. I just need to protect my wife AND I want my daughter to get on her feet and be independent. She will be 21 in 2 months.

...Pfizer only 66% effective against Delta....

I don't think it says precisely this. The study appears to lack much in analysis of confounding variables and does not intend to target Pfizer vaccine in testing, but any vaccine. So, basically, the study has two large date ranges. It looks at vaccination (of all types) effectiveness over date range1 and then vaccination (of all types) over date range2. VE was indeed 91% in date range1 and VE was 66% in date range2. Yes, most probably had Pfizer, but not all, it's all the vaccines. Also, there are confounding variables, like, for example, in date range2, everyone started yelling that the pandemic was over, people stopped masking, people removed mask mandates, went on vacations, etc, etc, AND another confounding variable is that over time, these vaccines are supposed to be less effective, which is why they are recommending booster shots. So, we do not know what the contribution of Delta variant is to the reduction of VE as compared to those two confounding variables: less restriction and days since second vaccine dose. In more controlled studies, the VE is definitely different with Delta, and so, probably, all 3 variables contributed to the difference. And it's still worrisome because it represents the reality of what society is facing--all 3 variables at once.

During December 14, 2020–August 14, 2021, full vaccination
with COVID-19 vaccines was 80% effective in preventing
RT-PCR–confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection among frontline
workers, further affirming the highly protective benefit of full
vaccination up to and through the most recent summer U.S.
COVID-19 pandemic waves. The VE point estimates declined
from 91% before predominance of the SARS-CoV-2 Delta
variant to 66% since the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant became
predominant at the HEROES-RECOVER cohort study sites;
however, this trend should be interpreted with caution because
VE might also be declining as time since vaccination increases
and because of poor precision in estimates due to limited
number of weeks of observation and few infections among
participants. As with all observational VE studies, unmeasured
and residual confounding might be present. Active surveillance
through the cohort is ongoing and VE estimates will be monitored
continuously. Although these interim findings suggest a
moderate reduction in the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines
in preventing infection, the sustained two thirds reduction
in infection risk underscores the continued importance and
benefits of COVID-19 vaccination.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/pdfs/mm7034e4-H.pdf

link

article said:
Despite the delta-driven surge of COVID-19, some people are "living (their) best life," taking to social media to share their fear of more lockdowns and anger with the unvaccinated. And mental health professionals are seeing even the most careful rule followers begin to lose momentum.
Pretty much the assholes have controlled the situation. In the Spring, my concern was people were going to be assholes at vacation spots because of a pent up sense of entitlement that they deserved a break and everything the way they wanted.

Well... it seems like we indeed, did get that. And I planned mini-trips to places with fewer people and that worked out.

But what I didn't imagine was so many Americans choosing not to be vaccinated and causing another fucking wave! I didn't think Americans were that stupid. And those that were responsible, didn't spread the disease are left wondering, WTF now? And while others caution about the rights of the unvaccinated, get ready for the vaccinated to start getting angry.

I understand but it was entirely predictable that there would be a surge after all of those people vacationing because they deserved it after being pent up for maybe 3 months. Seriously: people are returning home and in many states, K-12 and post secondary schools have started back up or will do so within a week or so. Start of school in the fall always brings an exchange of germs, passed from kid to kid and kid to teacher and back again, throughout all the staff and student body AND THEIR FAMILIES. This time, it is COVID19, and this time, it is the Delta variant which seems more easily transmissible and potentially more serious. Plus the same impatient jerks who wouldn't do their share on any group project in school are sick and tired of their half hearted two bit effort not working well enough that they don't have to suck it up and get the jab.

link

article said:

It's been obvious to me for more than a year. While I haven't hiked in a group in 17 months I still get the notifications from the groups I'm part of. During the lockdown time those leaders that were on the left stopped doing hikes. Many of the ones on the right kept right on doing them.

These people are psychotics trying to appeal to other psychotics.

And they have power.

Unborn fetuses have eternal life too.

So what's the fuss in killing them?

Seen elsewhere:

Caleb Wallace, head of ‘San Angelo Freedom Fighters’ to “end covid tyranny” just died of Covid. He was sedated on a ventilator for the last week. He treated himself with ivermectin saying “The science is out there, and it’s saying this is perfectly fine to live with.”
He organized several rallies against covid restrictions and was the leader of the West Texas Minutemen.

Last antivax post is Aug 16.
Aug 17: tested positive.
And dead between Aug 20 and 27.
That's 3-10 days. Awfully fast.

I've not even clicked the link. So I don't know.

But I could easily see a combination of putting off competent care and using "home remedies" like the horse stuff helping him into an early and avoidable grave.
Tom

Call it the Saga of Audra, a True Trumpist Dolt. I can't tell by her posts if she learned anything at all. She says covid is no joke, but she doesn't go any further than that. I know a few people like this. I don't wish illness upon anyone, but I can't dredge up a lot of sympathy for the ones that get sick, after disrespecting all of their fellow citizens and all health care professionals in the name of their snarling, idiotic politics.

Back
Top Bottom