• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Vaccinated with Pfizer are 3 and half fold less likely to catch delta than unvaccinated.

This kinda stuff drives me batty. "3½ times less likely" reminds me of laundry detergents claiming "35% cleaner!".
Just exactly WHAT does it mean?
If an unvaccinated person is 50% "likely" (wtf does THAT even mean? Under what circumstances are they 50% "likely"? How is it possible to know the average chances of ALL unvaxed under ALL conditions?) to get Covid, what is 3½ times less likely than that? Is it (50/3.5)% likely? Is it (50^-3.5)%? Maybe it's (.5^3.5)%?
Maybe it's just meaningless, baseless pablum?
Personally I think (.5^3.5)% makes the most sense, but I'm sure it could just as easily mean (50/3.5). The difference is only a bit more than 50% (about 8.8% vs 14.3%)

:rolleyes:

HELP, LOREN!!! (or some math person)

Covid-19 vaccination is an IQ test. It is that simple. People mentally incapable of accepting competent medical advice and get vaccinated are more likely to die from the virus or spend months recuperating from it.

Covid-19 vaccination is an IQ test. It is that simple. People mentally incapable of accepting competent medical advice and get vaccinated are more likely to die from the virus or spend months recuperating from it.

I flunked the IQ test question "how much is 3½ times less likely than 50%?" but I was still smart enough to get vaccinated as soon as it came available here...

Last antivax post is Aug 16.
Aug 17: tested positive.
And dead between Aug 20 and 27.
That's 3-10 days. Awfully fast.

With the hospitals being overloaded they're sending home anyone they can. They come back if their breathing gets bad enough but Covid also plays havoc with clotting. People throw a clot into someplace bad and die. It might have happened in the hospital but there they would be trying to control the clotting issue, it would be less likely. Covid can kill quickly this way.

https://twitter.com/BMeiselas/status/1431868922907684866

Why won't this embed as a tweet?

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Anti vaxxers who take horse dewormer Ivermectin shall hereby be referred to as neighsayers.</p>— Brett Meiselas (@BMeiselas) <a href="https://twitter.com/BMeiselas/status/1431868922907684866?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]

Last edited by a moderator:
New variant of concern, more infectious, more evasive of vaccines and antibodies from previous variants.

C.1.2

It's also a reading comprehension test. Just today I was arguing with an anti-vaxx idiot on the socials, she said "I have natural immunity that trumps your vaxx, so I’m good." She then cited a news story that cites a single study done in Israel that she took to mean natural immunity is better than the vaccine.

Then she said she wouldn't return to the conversation until I read the study.

So I did.

Yes, there was a study conducted in Israel that indicated people who have previously been infected (and survived) the original variant of the virus had a higher resistance to reinfection or breakthrough infection by the Delta variant than people who have had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine.. It did not say that "natural immunity trumps your vaxx" at all. In fact it pointed out that one dose plus immunity actually gave you additional protection against the Delta variant. I pointed this out to her (among some other highlights from the study) and...surprise, surprise...she has yet to rejoin the conversation! Maybe she's doing some more research on YouTube?

I flunked the IQ test question "how much is 3½ times less likely than 50%?" but I was still smart enough to get vaccinated as soon as it came available here...

Don't know where you get 50%. But I would read that as meaning that if I'm not vaccinated then I'm 3.5 times more likely to become infected with the delta variant than someone who is vaccinated.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/louisiana-hospitals-await-hurricane-ida_n_612b9aede4b09266434d1a49

Daily tallies of new cases went from a few hundred a day through much of the spring and early summer to thousands a day by late July. Statewide, hospitalizations had peaked at around 2,000 or less in three previous surges. But that number peaked at more than 3,000 in August. The number reported Saturday was near 2,700, still high enough to stress hospitals.

Gov. John Bel Edwards said evacuation of hospitals in threatened areas is something that would normally be considered under other scenarios, but it’s impractical as COVID-19 patients fill beds in Louisiana and elsewhere.
“That isn’t possible. We don’t have any place to bring those patients. Not in state, not out of state,” Edwards explained.

Let the politics begin.

Select "Embed tweet" from the drop down on the Twitter page. Then "Copy code". Then paste and wrap tweet tags around it here.

Viola.

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Anti vaxxers who take horse dewormer Ivermectin shall hereby be referred to as neighsayers.</p>— Brett Meiselas (@BMeiselas) <a href="https://twitter.com/BMeiselas/status/1431868922907684866?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[/TWEET]

It means if you are vaccinated then your chances to get positive test today for whatever reasons is
3.5 less than the same for un-vaccinated.

Problem with that number is that vaccinated could be infected but since they show no symptoms there is no reason to even take the test.

Select "Embed tweet" from the drop down on the Twitter page. Then "Copy code". Then paste and wrap tweet tags around it here.

Viola.

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Anti vaxxers who take horse dewormer Ivermectin shall hereby be referred to as neighsayers.</p>— Brett Meiselas (@BMeiselas) <a href="https://twitter.com/BMeiselas/status/1431868922907684866?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[/TWEET]

Or river blindness medicine takers

It means if you are vaccinated then your chances to get positive test today for whatever reasons is
3.5 less than the same for un-vaccinated.

Problem with that number is that vaccinated could be infected but since they show no symptoms there is no reason to even take the test.

Pretty solid firewall of immunity in the lungs but paltry where transmission happens in the nose.

Musicians say violas are better then violins because violas burn longer.

And Voilà, we bring you back to your Covid-19 miscellany thread, already in progress.

So...let's see-- we have, spurred on by Conservative media and politicians promoting livestock medicine, a huge uptick in Conservatives getting sick from taking livestock medicine, but being unable to get hospital beds due to the huge uptick in Conservatives celebrating their freedumbs by not getting a free, effective, and widely available vaccine taking up those beds.

This may not be the worst thing in the world for America, and if nothing else, seems poised to ratchet our collective IQ incrementally higher.

So...let's see-- we have, spurred on by Conservative media and politicians promoting livestock medicine, a huge uptick in Conservatives getting sick from taking livestock medicine, but being unable to get hospital beds due to the huge uptick in Conservatives celebrating their freedumbs by not getting a free, effective, and widely available vaccine taking up those beds.

This may not be the worst thing in the world for America, and if nothing else, seems poised to ratchet our collective IQ incrementally higher.
Sadly, it won't. This is just another example of the Capitol invasion. Just how stupid people can let themselves be.

link

Sen. Paul passive aggressively pushes use of dewormer to prevent Covid-19 infection, says CDC not pushing it because of hatred of Trump... who never pushed the shit in the first place! FYI, if you were wondering why your BS meter exploded recently, the quote below was why. BS Meters were never designed for so much concentrated BS.
Sen. Paul (*-KY) said:
The hatred for Trump deranged these people so much that they're unwilling to objectively study it. So someone like me that's in the middle on it, I can't tell you because they will not study ivermectin. They will not study hydroxychloroquine without the taint of their hatred for Donald Trump.
Ivermectin is an anti-parasitic drug. I've heard from news sources that studies indicated the dosage needed to potentially help with Covid-19 were well in excess of those that are safe for human consumption.

That Sen. Paul is using such slack language on drugs not approved on Covid-19 is becoming less and less surprising, despite how unfathomly unethical it is. If he were an actual doctor, he'd probably lose his license. His quote is definitely designed as is a lawyer/kind of doctor stated it to avoid being charged.

Back
Top Bottom