• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

I thought you were going say Sweden. Or Denmark. But I guess nobody lives there.

Maybe the difference is that they're approaching herd immunity and the stress on their health care system is a fraction of what it is here in the USA.
Tom

Also, their media probably hasn’t scared the shit out of people into believing the risk of hospitalization is greater than it really is.

E_4u29ZVIAADDxD

E_vOKXtXEAYkayy

You do know that adults can be vaccinated and children can’t yet, right? Is that not common knowledge??

You’re aware the risk to children is extremely low? Less than the seasonal flu?
The 2019/2020 flu season had 199 children deaths, according to the CDC. One of the worst in recent history. Whereas they report almost three times that from Covid.

So, let’s assume that they are essentially equivalent. The covid death rate includes the fact that kids were kept out of schools for a year and when put back in were mostly masked and distanced. What do you suppose the children’s’ death rate from covid would have been if we had the same school attendance policy as during flu season? Do you suppose it would be less than that for flu?

Whether we should mask up kids at school is a good subject to discuss but comparing schools to an award show filled with vaccinated and tested (by requirement) adults is just disingenuous and bad-faith arguing.

You’re aware the risk to children is extremely low? Less than the seasonal flu?
The 2019/2020 flu season had 199 children deaths, according to the CDC. One of the worst in recent history. Whereas they report almost three times that from Covid.

So, let’s assume that they are essentially equivalent. The covid death rate includes the fact that kids were kept out of schools for a year and when put back in were mostly masked and distanced. What do you suppose the children’s’ death rate from covid would have been if we had the same school attendance policy as during flu season? Do you suppose it would be less than that for flu?

Whether we should mask up kids at school is a good subject to discuss but comparing schools to an award show filled with vaccinated and tested (by requirement) adults is just disingenuous and bad-faith arguing.

Worth remembering when mentioning numbers that the US has 330M people.

More children in Chicago have been shot than died from COVID

More children have been the victims of gun violence in Chicago this year than have died from COVID-19 across the entire country, according to police and the Centers for Disease Control and Protection.

More children have been the victims of gun violence in Chicago this year than have died from COVID-19 across the entire country, according to police and the Centers for Disease Control and Protection.
This is called moving the goalposts. I take this as a tacit admission that your comparison to flu was a specious one.

I thought you were going say Sweden. Or Denmark. But I guess nobody lives there.

Maybe the difference is that they're approaching herd immunity and the stress on their health care system is a fraction of what it is here in the USA.
Tom

Also, their media probably hasn’t scared the shit out of people into believing the risk of hospitalization is greater than it really is.

A corollary of this is that their media was honest and forthright about the whole situation, so the people took rational measures to ameliorate the threat. As a result, they aren't suffering as much as American people are.
Tom

This is called moving the goalposts. I take this as a tacit admission that your comparison to flu was a specious one.

It’s about numbers. This has never been a pandemic of the young. The fear mongers need to fuck off.

A corollary of this is that their media was honest and forthright about the whole situation, so the people took rational measures to ameliorate the threat. As a result, they aren't suffering as much as American people are.
Tom

Can’t disagree, Tom. US news media is crap.

It’s about numbers. This has never been a pandemic of the young. The fear mongers need to fuck off.

I think that the fear mongers who need to FUCK off are the ones screaming about chips in the vaccines and the horror of masking and feeling victimized by the rest of us who don't want covidiots on a plane, or in a store, or at a venue, with smarter(less scared) people like the rest of us.
Tom

I think that the fear mongers who need to FUCK off are the ones screaming about chips in the vaccines and the horror of masking and feeling victimized by the rest of us who don't want covidiots on a plane, or in a store, or at a venue, with smarter(less scared) people like the rest of us.
Tom

Tom, I’m assuming you’re vaccinated. Your risk of hospitalization or death from the rona is very close to zero. Live your life. Be free. Don’t worry about others who can do no harm to you.

Tom

Can’t disagree, Tom. US news media is crap.

Some media outlets more than others. But crappy media is a function of capitalist media. When media gets paid better for reporting fake news or unimportant drama than accurately informing news consumers this is the kind of problem to expect.
Tom

Tom

Tom, I’m assuming you’re vaccinated. Your risk of hospitalization or death from the rona is very close to zero. Live your life. Be free. Don’t worry about others who can do no harm to you.

You are very wrong about all of that, except the vaccinated part. I've been vaccinated since May.

But covidiots are still doing a lot of damage to me. From stunting the economy to messing up the health care system to dividing the American people, the list of damage being done by covidiots is long. And yeah, that does affect me, even if my risk of suffering from a personal infection is low.
Tom

LA County says Emmys didn't violate COVID-19 rules after criticism

“LA County’s Health Officer order requires everyone to wear a mask indoors, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated. However, exceptions are made for film, television, and music productions, as additional safety modifications are made for these controlled interactions,” the department said in a statement provided to the Los Angeles Times.

“The Emmy Award Show is a television production, and persons appearing on the show are considered performers. All persons appearing on or in the audience of the Emmy Award Show were fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Also, Public Health was informed that each of these persons had a verified negative PCR test 48 hours prior to the show," the health department added.

The Television Academy's coronavirus requirements for the ceremony included proof of vaccination as well as a negative RT-PCR COVID-19 test. Instead of being held in a theater like in years past, the ceremony was held in an air-conditioned tent.

themoreyouknow-more.gif

Michael Flynn: The 'Deep State' is plotting to spike your salad dressing with the COVID vaccine

Michael Flynn, the former National Security Adviser to the Trump administration who has embraced the QAnon conspiracy theory and advocated the violent military overthrow of the United States, has a new conspiracy theory: the Deep State is going to vaccinate your salad dressing.

Flynn, who was fired, prosecuted, and ultimately pardoned over his lies to the FBI in the Russia investigation, brought up the idea on a far-right internet show on Wednesday.

"Somebody sent me a thing this morning where they're talking about putting the vaccine in salad dressing," said Flynn. "Have you seen this? I mean it's — and I'm thinking to myself, this is the Bizarro World, right? This is definitely the Bizarro World ... these people are seriously thinking about how to impose their will on us in our society, and it has to stop."

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In a show dedicated to covid and election fraud conspiracies, Michael Flynn yesterday brings up an article he read that the Deep State medical establishment is planning to secretly put the covid vaccine in salad dressing. <a href="https://t.co/45LniXtnYA">pic.twitter.com/45LniXtnYA</a></p>— Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) <a href="https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1440644282759614478?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 22, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]

if they had an oral vaccine, they'd have it out up front, because there would be less "vaccine hestitancy".

Michael Flynn yesterday brings up an article he read that the Deep State medical establishment is planning to secretly put the covid vaccine in salad dressing.
Yes.
Because everyone takes salad dressing.
And we can be sure everyone will get the full dosage because of the way they all eat the same amount of salad dressing with their meals.
Shit, there's four people in my house, and three different dressings are used. One pours it on like he's laying concrete for a foundation, one dips her fork in it then stabs the greens.
I've been kind of off Ranch for a while, trying to diet, so the bottle in the fridge is about half empty. Not sure when we're going to open the back-up bottle in the pantry. REALLY don't know when we'll even buy the vaccine-enhanced version available in stores. What's the shelf-life on Ranch flavored vaccine?

You want to drive the base crazy? Tell them it's being added to gas. It's being put in unleaded, which your car engine alters chemically and the exhaust pipe is 'shedding' vaccine particles. Don't drive! Stay out of downtown! GET AN ELECTRIC CAR!

This would be the nasal spray vaccine that is being discussed, in an insidious guise. the most effective fa(n)tasy vaccine in reaching the most at risk, the overweight, would be to sneak an oral vaccine into processed sugar.

I would imagine if eating the vaccine were as efficacious as getting an injection then that would be the preferred method of administering the vaccine.

I have seen the meme, "We're gonna have to hide the vaccine in cheese, aren't we?"

That'd be a great idea! Yes, it would be "forcing" anti-vaxxers to get the jab, but at least it might get the job done, barring those who don't like cheese. And as we all know, anyone who doesn't like cheese is worthy of death anyway.

But seriously, while I do, in my heart of hearts, object to the use of force by a government on its own people* ---

or on anyone else barring military actions which are defensive and necessary, I think I can live with myself on this issue, just as I live with taking income tax from bottom level workers (tax 'em where they spend, not where they earn, as Frank Zappa was going to try to implement had he not been shut down by cancer and continued on his political ambitions), and with seat-belt laws (making it obligatory for passengers, children, or even pets, is okay) or silly laws against sodomy (consensual, naturally), or the use of drugs recreationally by adults, for that matter ---

I think in this case it would be acceptable, seeing as there are obviously a huge group of people who are not going to relent on this issue, no matter how many people get sick and die as a result. That they seem to NOT see that their own decisions are wiping out people of their OWN mindset much faster than pro-vaxxers, doesn't seem to phase them. In the case of my parents, when I brought this fact up recently, my father just shook his head and said, "But those so-called facts you're talking about are bullshit! They are counting anyone who dies nowadays as Covid victims! You could die in a car crash and they will say it was Covid! Covid Covid Covid! Bullshit! It's Bill Gates and Soros, pulling the strings, and all those librul assholes in congress!!!!1!", etc, blah blah, blah, spittle flying...

In the odd case someone thinks I'm a trumpety-trumpster fuckface clownstick in disguise, or a conservative, or right-winger pretending to be a "moderate" because I am being tricksy, or cowardly: I will give anyone my father's name - in PRIVATE - and you can find him on Facebook or Twitter to verify what I am saying. His name is the same as mine, and I believe some of you might remember it, except for the middle initial, which I use, but he doesn't. You can ask him about me, his doofus of a son who thinks he's a poet and who "has been living with his head up his ass his whole life..." If that doesn't convince you, we both have Facebook accounts in our real name. Mine is the one with the middle initial, "A". There are photos to confirm that he and I are not the same. I am only doing this because it seems there is an increasing tendency here to think that ANYONE of even a slightly right-leaning position, or ANYONE who questions someone about a view they put forth which is obviously from the left, or 'progressive' perspective, is a right wing conservative republican libertarian, only pretending not to be, for reasons.

*In case I didn't make it clear, I am not including taxation (except in the instance I pointed out above) or the fact that we are compelled to obey laws as "force" (barring instances I pointed out, which would technically be "force", but are cases I can live with, albeit not without having my ethical feathers ruffled a wee tad.

eating cheese??? !!!! a no no for vegans.

Tom

What does that have to do with a lot of children being hospitalized with Covid 19 in parts of the USA? You appear to imply that these hospitalizations are caused by a fear-mongering media.

Back
Top Bottom