• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

I honestly do think you are being played for a fool. We just differ on who is playing the tune that you are dancing to. I hope that you beat the odds and don't become ill. I'd be thrilled if no one else became ill with COVID (or anything worse).

More and more people I know are becoming ill, and none of them vaccinated. Includes very healthy young adults 30 or younger.

Beat the odds? The odds are very much in my favor I don’t get any virus and if I do happen to get a virus my odds are still very much in my favor I’ll be just fine. I have other things to worry about that are bigger risks.

I honestly do think you are being played for a fool. We just differ on who is playing the tune that you are dancing to. I hope that you beat the odds and don't become ill. I'd be thrilled if no one else became ill with COVID (or anything worse).

More and more people I know are becoming ill, and none of them vaccinated. Includes very healthy young adults 30 or younger.

Beat the odds? The odds are very much in my favor I don’t get any virus and if I do happen to get a virus my odds are still very much in my favor I’ll be just fine. I have other things to worry about that are bigger risks.
I know a nice, (previously) healthy young man in his 30's on a vent right now. So good luck to you. Married about 3 years. His wife is sick as well but not as sick. They were trying to have a baby....

I know a nice, (previously) healthy young man in his 30's on a vent right now. So good luck to you. Married about 3 years. His wife is sick as well but not as sick. They were trying to have a baby....

That’s unfortunate but it’s an anomaly and doesn’t change my view.

That’s unfortunate but it’s an anomaly and doesn’t change my view.
There has been a recent and persistent uptick in such anomalies within my group of friends and acquaintances.

I realize that nothing except ending up on a vent is likely to change your view. I hope it works out for you.

There has been a recent and persistent uptick in such anomalies within my group of friends and acquaintances.
So? You’re a jinx, a spreader? It’s still an anomaly. Are you trying to scare me?
I'm not spreading anything. Friends I keep in touch with but haven't seen in person for a couple of months.

I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to tell you the truth.

I realize that nothing except ending up on a vent is likely to change your view.

No it wouldn't change my view so you realize incorrectly. Even if I were to contract covid, it is extremely unlikely that I would experience anything more than mild symptoms. Remember, I have been vaccinated and vaccinated people are pretty well protected from ending up in hospital. And as it happens, I did actually get the booster on Tuesday. Now, if it so happens I do end up in hospital or worse, oh well that's the breaks. Life is full of uncertainty and covid is just another one of life's risks that I can afford to take as the odds are heavily in my favor. I do not intend on living my life in a perpetual quasi lockdown.

I do not intend on living my life in a perpetual quasi lockdown.
Then encourage people to make choices that result in herd immunity! That's the best solution for this enormous problem.

This is not all about you. IIRC, you're like me. A vaccinated healthy fella, with little risk of personal problems from C19. Our personal issues are tiny. But not everyone has that advantage, especially the medical staff trying to keep up with plague rat bullshit. Or the CDC trying to keep up with variants.

Right now, my family is kinda in a mess. Some of us are concerned and responsible, some less so. But we're dealing with my Mom's funeral. Some of the least socially responsible members, in terms of C19 protocols, are also big huggers. Other members are high risk.

How do you tell a family member, who doesn't think C19 is a big deal, to wear a mask and social distance or don't come to the funeral? A family member who firmly believes that vaccination is a Democratic plot to end Christianity and America as we know it?

I don't know what to do. It's family. It's stupid. It's all gonna be over with soon. But this particular C19 crisis will last for years, I know my family.

F U and your "but I won't suffer from the Covid19 virus" attitude. It's not all about you.
Tom

Well if this new variant does turn out to really be less virulent, maybe it will be the thing to finally get us to herd immunity in a somewhat tolerably way, by involuntarily immunizing the remaining luddites.

I realize that nothing except ending up on a vent is likely to change your view.

No it wouldn't change my view so you realize incorrectly. Even if I were to contract covid, it is extremely unlikely that I would experience anything more than mild symptoms. Remember, I have been vaccinated and vaccinated people are pretty well protected from ending up in hospital. And as it happens, I did actually get the booster on Tuesday. Now, if it so happens I do end up in hospital or worse, oh well that's the breaks. Life is full of uncertainty and covid is just another one of life's risks that I can afford to take as the odds are heavily in my favor. I do not intend on living my life in a perpetual quasi lockdown.
I know this will strike you as ridiculous but I am THRILLED that you got vaccinated and boosted. Somehow, I thought you had not.

Over the summer, I was happy to dispense with masks but in anticipation of a visit from friends who are as cautious as we are, I started wearing masks again, in an (over)abundance of caution and.....I've been wearing them in public indoor spaces ever since. My county is seeing a big uptick in cases, which I expected, after Thanksgiving when students left campus, went home, swapped germs with everyone they knew and came back. So did lots of people in town or else they had family visit....And now omicron. I realize you see this as living in fear but I see it as being prudent. My husband and I are in our 60's. Probably COVID would be mild given our vaccination/boosters. But at our age, and with his history of asthma and me carrying too much weight, it seems foolish to not continue to be as cautious as possible.

For all of these months, it seemed as though COVID was pretty far away. For the most part, it had not touched our circle of friends and family. And now it has. Big Breath.

Here's hoping your strategy and mine are both successful and no one else gets sick. We may argue a lot but I sincerely wish you (and everyone else around here) a safe, happy and healthy winter and spring and summer and fall and so on for as long as we all can keep it going.

So? You’re a jinx, a spreader? It’s still an anomaly. Are you trying to scare me?
The thing is you dismiss the bad outcomes as anomalies without considering how often they happen. And note that with Omicron you're probably not going to end up on a vent--if you need one there probably won't be one available and you'll simply die.

The thing is you dismiss the bad outcomes as anomalies without considering how often they happen. And note that with Omicron you're probably not going to end up on a vent--if you need one there probably won't be one available and you'll simply die.
The thing is that you seem awfully fond of mansplaining me to me. If you had actually read the post you are 'correcting' me on, you'd see that I used the word anomalies in response to TSwizzle's use of the word anomaly. If you actually read the exchange between me and TSwizzle, you'd see that I am not 'dismissing bad outcomes as anomalies without considering how often they happen.' I fully note that with Omicron, people are not likely to end up on a vent! No one was talking about that particular variant! I was relating young healthy people I KNOW who recently have been ill with COVID, one of whom is on a vent. I don't know what variant he has but I would doubt that it's Omicron because that just hasn't been in my area long enough for him to have contracted it and become so ill, plus, he's on a vent and usually, Omicron is far less serious than Delta or other known variants.

Please get off my case. I know you don't care for me and that on principle, you will disagree and find fault with anything I write but really you need a new hobby. I mean, you kept mansplaining my typos to me in another thread. Just stop it.

And have a Merry Christmas!

The thing is that you seem awfully fond of mansplaining me to me. If you had actually read the post you are 'correcting' me on, you'd see that I used the word anomalies in response to TSwizzle's use of the word anomaly. If you actually read the exchange between me and TSwizzle, you'd see that I am not 'dismissing bad outcomes as anomalies without considering how often they happen.' I fully note that with Omicron, people are not likely to end up on a vent! No one was talking about that particular variant! I was relating young healthy people I KNOW who recently have been ill with COVID, one of whom is on a vent. I don't know what variant he has but I would doubt that it's Omicron because that just hasn't been in my area long enough for him to have contracted it and become so ill, plus, he's on a vent and usually, Omicron is far less serious than Delta or other known variants.

Please get off my case. I know you don't care for me and that on principle, you will disagree and find fault with anything I write but really you need a new hobby. I mean, you kept mansplaining my typos to me in another thread. Just stop it.

He wasn't replying to you.

He was replying to TSwizzle's response to you.

He wasn't replying to you.

He was replying to TSwizzle's response to you.
Ahhhh, I see now. I got a notification that he quoted my post and....... Thanks for pointing it out to me.

My most sincere apologies to Loren.

Dan Crenshaw on Twitter: "Trump handed Biden MULTIPLE vaccines and a vaccination plan and Biden is doing worse than Trump on the two COVID metrics the media told us were most important - cases and deaths. Biden has produced ZERO new treatments, better testing… nothing
Think about that." / Twitter

QAnon believers left baffled and frustrated by Trump's pivot - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
QAnon believers, also known for their adamant disapproval of COVID vaccinations, have been left befuddled by former President Donald Trump admitting that he'd taken the COVID vaccine booster shot.

Following Trump's appearance on Bill O'Reilly's "No Spin News," Trump confirmed his third jab. When O'Reilly asked, "Did you get the booster?" Trump replied: "Yes. I got it too."

In addition to boos from the crowd, QAnon believers are speaking out. According to Newsweek, disgruntled QAnon believers have criticized and "turned on" Trump due to his latest announcement.
Trump also pushed back against right-wing commentator Candace Owens when she claimed in an interview with him that COVID-19 vaccines are dangerous.
Trumpistan on Twitter: "Dan Crenshaw admits fair Election, Tomi Lahren calls out the GOP for praising a 17 year old murderer, Fox News Nick Cavuto encourages setting aside Politics and getting vaccinated, And Trump pushes back on Candice Owen and admits Vaccines are safe.
What the fuck." / Twitter

Ahhhh, I see now. I got a notification that he quoted my post and....... Thanks for pointing it out to me.

My most sincere apologies to Loren.

It was pretty obvious what the oops was. You're guilty of being human.

Back
Top Bottom