• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

I got my booster last week, and I thought that perhaps, because it's a half dose I wouldn't feel as bad as when I got my second shot. That isn't true. It was even worse this time around. If that's the response to a spike protein, I can't imagine how bad one could possibly feel due to covid itself. Glad I ended up with Moderna all around though.

My moderna booster was a nothingburger, not at all like the second dose which hit hard. Different people, different reaction levels.

Assuming the story is true, that's both wrong and silly, they pay money instead of getting a free vaccine. Further, if they thought it was so scary, again why pay for the fake vaccine instead of getting the true one?
They'll probably be fine anyway, though, since most infected people are.

My moderna booster was a nothingburger, not at all like the second dose which hit hard. Different people, different reaction levels.

This. My booster had less reaction than the two originals, my wife had a slight fever and a sleepless night out of it, when she had almost no problem with the first two.

Daily infections records in multiple countries today - US,UK, France, Italy, Spain,Greece.

France almost doubled its previous record, Greece more than doubled.

And this is why I have had to delay getting my booster. It is only available in my small town on Monday mornings. My boss has been out of the office almost constantly for the past couple of months with medical procedures, so I couldn't take the chance that it would make me sick enough that I couldn't work. With any luck, I will be able to get my Moderna booster in a month or so. In the meantime I am not going out in public at all unless there is no other option; our local vaccination rate is only 34% and the positivity rate is rising rapidly.

Ruth

And this is why I have had to delay getting my booster. It is only available in my small town on Monday mornings. My boss has been out of the office almost constantly for the past couple of months with medical procedures, so I couldn't take the chance that it would make me sick enough that I couldn't work. With any luck, I will be able to get my Moderna booster in a month or so. In the meantime I am not going out in public at all unless there is no other option; our local vaccination rate is only 34% and the positivity rate is rising rapidly.

Ruth
I'm afraid that the chances that you will not be able to work for a day or two are higher if you do not take the booster than if you do, given the rate at which covid is spreading. Perhaps you could choose a milder booster, say Pfizer instead of Moderna?

Not available most of the time, and is gone quickly when it is available. I am just isolating myself for the time being, ordering everything online and delivered with no contact. Since I work supporting commercial accounting software I am not usually out much this time of year anyway so it isn't a big deal. I would just like to get it taken care of so I don't worry so much even though I know I am pretty safe here alone.

Ruth

Not available most of the time, and is gone quickly when it is available. I am just isolating myself for the time being, ordering everything online and delivered with no contact. Since I work supporting commercial accounting software I am not usually out much this time of year anyway so it isn't a big deal. I would just like to get it taken care of so I don't worry so much even though I know I am pretty safe here alone.

Ruth
You're being extremely responsible towards your employer but you need to be extremely responsible towards yourself. Chances are that you will not be too under the weather after your vaccination to work but if you are, then you are. It would be much, much worse if you didn't get the booster and got sick. For myself? After my second Moderna, I felt bad about 18 hrs later---for several hours and then felt fine. Not so bad I couldn't do stuff but bad enough that since it was already an easy day, I let myself have the easy day. After the booster(Still Moderna) I was pretty tired but that may have been due to having climbed up and down ladders for the 3 days prior and running up and down stairs between the basement and the second floor carrying loads of laundry and spending the day on my feet cooking after the booster. The next morning, I felt great. I mean: really great. So, I think that there are two scenarios: You could get boosted first thing in the morning and maybe have to have a short day at work or you could get your booster at the end of the day and maybe have to go in late on Tuesday morning. Probably you will be fine. My husband had zero negative reaction and he got his booster and his flu shot at the same time. Many/most people I know have mild or no reactions.

Too bad so many people refused vaccination. So we're dealing with variants that evolved in response to our lack of herd immunity, but with a lot of vaccinated people putting evolutionary pressures on the virus.
Too bad?

Omicron has displaced Delta, and while Omicron is more transmissible, it is significantly less deadly. If omicron developed in unvaccinated people, then that is a positive outcome.

Ruth
Availability around here is just the opposite. Around here a person can walk into any pharmacy and get the booster.

Re: Booster availability here in Chicagoland: Walgreens pharmacy has appointments ~2 weeks out, but select Osco pharmacies have walk-ins. I had made an appointment at Walgreens for January 4th, then discovered I could just walk in and get it done at my local Osco, so that's what Husband & I did on Monday. (and canceled the Walgreens appointment).

We're both having mild reactions (fatigue, headache), which is annoying, but we'll get thru it. I'm glad we're able to deal with it during this week while Husband has the week off, so he isn't having to choose between missing work or working while feeling gross.

I'd say my reaction to booster is not as bad as my reaction to my first shot [unhappy for nearly a week], but slightly worse than the one after my second [only one rough night].

I got my booster last week, and I thought that perhaps, because it's a half dose I wouldn't feel as bad as when I got my second shot. That isn't true. It was even worse this time around. If that's the response to a spike protein, I can't imagine how bad one could possibly feel due to covid itself. Glad I ended up with Moderna all around though.
Likewise. Though I think I had the majority of my symptoms from shot two while asleep. For the booster, it came past 24 hours, and then the side effects hit. Nothing awful, but I certainly wasn't feeling great.

Omicron has displaced Delta, and while Omicron is more transmissible, it is significantly less deadly. If omicron developed in unvaccinated people, then that is a positive outcome.

Yes we owe a continuing debt of gratitude to those brave visionaries who foresaw the benefits of anti-vaxism.
People are dying in the US at a rate of 7-9 THOUSAND per day, and we need to thank them for the fact that it's not 70-90 thousand.
Fucking lovely.

Too bad so many people refused vaccination. So we're dealing with variants that evolved in response to our lack of herd immunity, but with a lot of vaccinated people putting evolutionary pressures on the virus.
Too bad?

Talk about chick counting and eggs. If Omicron mutates in a manner that makes it more deadly, then we really are fucked. Meanwhile, Delta is still out there too, capable of mutation as well.

Are you sure about this?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has admitted a serious error in calculating the prevalence of the Omicron variant in the US, overblowing the figure by as much as 50 percentage points, sowing confusion as the nation breaks records for new cases. The agency released a revised chart on Tuesday showing that the new variant accounted for 23 percent of all COVID-19 cases for the week ending on December 18, as opposed to the 73 percent it originally reported.
Daily Mail

Too bad?

Talk about chick counting and eggs. If Omicron mutates in a manner that makes it more deadly, then we really are fucked. Meanwhile, Delta is still out there too, capable of mutation as well.
There is in fact nothing really preventing someone with both variants from having transcription errors of the kind that cause normal mutations, but which cause trait exchange.

It's entirely possible that someone gets both variants at once and put pops a recombinant variation.

Too bad?

There is in fact nothing really preventing someone with both variants from having transcription errors of the kind that cause normal mutations, but which cause trait exchange.

It's entirely possible that someone gets both variants at once and put pops a recombinant variation.
New York, Ohio, Illinois are all examples of places where Delta and Omicron are hitting at the same time. Ohio, likely the worst of them.

Clueless.

The Bidens - who are booster vaccinated - covered their faces for no apparent reason as they took their German Shepherd puppy, Commander, for a walk along a deserted Rehoboth Beach on Tuesday evening. The President, 79, even continued to wear his mask after the First Lady, 70, took hers off. It's not clear who Biden believed he was protecting or who he felt he needed protection from as the only other people on the beach, the secret service, didn't come within 10 yards. When the couple were walking through the neighborhood, members of the secret service and the press were seen closer, within a couple of yards, however the risk of infection given they were outdoors was negligible.

Daily Mail

I’m surprised the dog is not wearing a mask.

Back
Top Bottom