• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cupcakes

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to think this through, so I'm just going to throw it out there and see whether I should be stoned or not.

So, let's say when your daughter was in preschool and had a birthday, your wife carried goodies for her to share with the class. Some other parents would do the same.

Fast forward a couple years and you learn parents are prohibited from doing that anymore. The reasoning is not all parents can afford to do that and it makes their children feel bad because their parents can't while others can.

I have a flood of thoughts on this, some of 'em not so good, but just for the sake of argument, suppose all the bullshit going into the bullshit could be set aside, is that a good decision?

I asked a person who said when she was a kid, she didn't care who brought ice cream or cupcakes. She just remembers being happy getting ice cream and cupcakes. This makes me wonder if there is some projection going on--imbuing adult thoughts onto children.

If I thought for a moment there was more than negligible prevalence for this causing kids to be especially upset, then okay, I could see the prohibition. If there is isolated incidents, then better care can be taken to handling such matters without prohibition.

There is just something not sitting right with me. We are telling those who are fortunate enough to earn enough to afford to give away a couple dozen cupcakes once a year that they may no longer bring a smile to their child and classmates because the children of those who haven't had the same financial success in life to do that will be sad.

I said enough.

I hear you.

I am currently caring for a 6 and a 7yo. As far as I can tell from conversation, the kids don't care about the issue you mention. There are some issues with potential allergies, but parents who send birthday treats are careful about that.

I do wonder if there is a difference in culture, though.

"Couldn't be bothered", "too busy" and "don't want to buy into birthday crap" would all be considered as possible motives before anyone thought of "couldn't afford it". And that's if anyone was wondering why someone didn't bring cakes on their birthday, which not many people would.

But I think the US might have a greater pressure to conform than we do, and I know you have a more established underclass who might have trouble stretching the budget to this sort of thing.

Short answer (Ha, I lied) tell me if there is a bitchy undercurrent in the school. If there is, it's good to stop any one child from feeling exposed and left out. Otherwise, I suspect the Principal as a control freak.

Nowadays, there are so many people who are concerned about food sensitivities or parents who do not want their kids to eat sugar, margarine, flour, animal products...you name it...that it becomes far too great of a health risk/liability to allow informal sharing of baked goods of uncontrolled origin. Yet it is legal to sell products that contain any number of outrageous ingredients to consenting consumers. Kind of crazy.

(I agree that it is rather sad, but then again, I also watch literally tons of food go down the dumpster when there are hungry people in my own community. A small portion gets diverted to those in need but health regulations does not permit most of it get utilized.)

As a teacher, I see both sides and it doesn't cause any angst.

If a child does bring in a cake, or cupcakes, kids knows whether or not they can have them. Some do not have it due to allergies, and some because it's against their religion. (We do have muslims in the school for example).

It is also not expected that children do get to bring in cakes etc, it's just a very pleasant surprise when it happens.

The only negative to this is when parents bring in a very small round sponge, one about 20cm in diameter, and expect us to cut it up into 25 pieces - and neatly! :eek:

I prefer cupcakes, no cutting involved. :D

Nowadays, there are so many people who are concerned about food sensitivities or parents who do not want their kids to eat sugar, margarine, flour, animal products...you name it...that it becomes far too great of a health risk/liability to allow informal sharing of baked goods of uncontrolled origin. Yet it is legal to sell products that contain any number of outrageous ingredients to consenting consumers. Kind of crazy.

(I agree that it is rather sad, but then again, I also watch literally tons of food go down the dumpster when there are hungry people in my own community. A small portion gets diverted to those in need but health regulations does not permit most of it get utilized.)
Homemade cupcakes have been banned for awhile now--with there being an off chance that the crazies will surface and all, but sealed grocery store bought cupcakes are fine.

Homemade cupcakes have been banned for awhile now--with there being an off chance that the crazies will surface and all, but sealed grocery store bought cupcakes are fine.

Fuck me, you Seppos are paranoid.

What the fuck happened to the 'home of the brave' thing, or was that always a vaccuous platitude?

Hiding under your beds, clutching an assault rifle, in case a neighbour decides to poison your kids with a tainted cupcake is pure insanity.

What the fuck happened to the 'home of the brave' thing, or was that always a vaccuous platitude?

Hiding under your beds, clutching an assault rifle, in case a neighbour decides to poison your kids with a tainted cupcake is pure insanity.
I think the incessant Halloween incidents brings rise to the fears. People are always lacing the candy with something.

I think the incessant Halloween incidents brings rise to the fears. People are always lacing the candy with something.

If those incidents were non-fiction, I would feel slightly more sympathetic.

The United States of America - scared of its own shadow since 1776.

If those incidents were non-fiction, I would feel slightly more sympathetic.

The United States of America - scared of its own shadow since 1776.

Have you seen our shadows? They're friggin' huge, and they stalk us. We got some badass shadows! Hell, I pulled a gun on my shadow one time, and the sumbitch pulled one too, and it was twice as big as the one I had!

Looks over at the ripe bananas in the bowl and decides to make some gluten free cupcakes after work to take in for the following shift because unlike school classes, her fellow graveyard shift workers are delighted to
devour any of her offerings and quite prefer them to any of the commercial treats which are provided at times by management.

Another thread that makes me glad I do not have kids. No idea how you deal with this shit, but respect you for doing so.

If I had a penny for each harmless thing adults wrongly presume will harm kids, I'd be a billionaire.

Any kid whose parents can't afford cupcakes is going to be thrilled to get cupcakes, not reflecting upon the implications for their socio-economic status.

I can understand caution due to dietary restrictions, but this particular reason is moronic.

I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to think this through, so I'm just going to throw it out there and see whether I should be stoned or not.

So, let's say when your daughter was in preschool and had a birthday, your wife carried goodies for her to share with the class. Some other parents would do the same.

Fast forward a couple years and you learn parents are prohibited from doing that anymore. The reasoning is not all parents can afford to do that and it makes their children feel bad because their parents can't while others can.

I have a flood of thoughts on this, some of 'em not so good, but just for the sake of argument, suppose all the bullshit going into the bullshit could be set aside, is that a good decision?

I asked a person who said when she was a kid, she didn't care who brought ice cream or cupcakes. She just remembers being happy getting ice cream and cupcakes. This makes me wonder if there is some projection going on--imbuing adult thoughts onto children.

If I thought for a moment there was more than negligible prevalence for this causing kids to be especially upset, then okay, I could see the prohibition. If there is isolated incidents, then better care can be taken to handling such matters without prohibition.

There is just something not sitting right with me. We are telling those who are fortunate enough to earn enough to afford to give away a couple dozen cupcakes once a year that they may no longer bring a smile to their child and classmates because the children of those who haven't had the same financial success in life to do that will be sad.

I said enough.

Most kids probably wouldn't notice or care, but the more intelligent ones would, which is probably why someone noticed.

FWIW... A child in the class I teach one day a week was suspended from school for 3 days for fighting the day before his birthday. The mother had already made the cupcakes, and still brought them in for the class even though the birthday boy was absent.

I said enough.

Most kids probably wouldn't notice or care, but the more intelligent ones would, which is probably why someone noticed.
Would what?

Most kids probably wouldn't notice. Got it.
Most kids probably wouldn't care. Got it.
More intelligent one's would notice. Got it.
More intelligent one's would care? What do you mean?

Back
Top Bottom