• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
But there is also an option to change your vote, so no reason to vote multiple times.
It's not voting multiple times, but ability to vote for more than one person. At the time of this writing, there have been 18 votes cast by 14 people. It's not that 4 people voted twice, but that e.g. 4 people liked two of the options and selected both.
Some real world voting systems give people multiple votes. It's not necessarily shenanigans to have more votes than voters.

Swalwell is from the same state so shouldn't be in the poll.

When Obama was elected, I knew people who were all ‘he’s half white so…’.
Well he is. One drop rule is racist, and we should not be erasing one half of a person ancestry just because of political correctness.

KH likewise, is half Jamaican and half (dot) Indian. To just reduce her to the black half of her ancestry is simplistic, even if she attempted to do just that in 2019.

I think AOC is running for Schumer's job when he retires.
AOC is way too left for a national ticket anyway.
She is probably too left to win statewide in NY too. The rest of the state is not as lefty as NY14.
Whitmer is term limited, so I don't see the risk.
My main concern is her trying to shut down a pipeline.
Why Michigan is trying to shut down Canada's Enbridge Line 5 pipeline
The pipeline in question is a replacement for an existing, but ageing, pipeline, so it would make oil transport safer.
She caved to the extremists. She would likely do the same in Washington.

Not suggesting Porter as VP but she needs to be in a prominent position.
Some cabinet post?
If you want to blow some minds, how about AOC? Very very smart, articulate, east coast, working class.
LMAO!
Let’s own the female/POC thing!
With this attitude, is it any wonder Dems are doing poorly with white men? Your attitude is basically "men (especially straight white men) need not apply".

Of course I know that bypassing Whitmer is largely based on misogyny.
So not picking a woman as running mate is "misogyny"? "No men need apply" in order not to be a misogynist? Really?
Neither gender nor geography should matter but they do.
Gender certainly matters to you. You want a two woman ticket.

As I noted before, I think owning the female ticket works better than the female lead on the ticket. The idea we need to balance the ticket via gender reinforces the misogyny.
On the contrary, saying that there should be an all woman ticket and that men should not be considered is misandry. Dems are already strong with women, but are hurting with men. This dismissive attitude toward half of the population is not going to help.

We are in a unique situation, historically. And Trump just trashes general political rules and decorum. So, this to me is a perfect time for a Harris-Whitmer candidacy. Shoring up Michigan, I think helps Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, while as shoring Pennsylvania just shores up Pennsylvania.
Why do you think a running mate from MI helps in PA, but a running mate from PA does not help in MI?

Andy Beshear.
I am in complete agreement with you. I've read a lot about him. The fact that a moderate Democrat could win and is popular in a very conservative state means a lot. He could draw in the double haters, the independents who might think Harris is too liberal and the former Trumpers who want to vote for someone who is a moderate. I think he'd be a great match for Harris. I'm surprised some of my other political junkie posters aren't familiar with him. Most of those on the list aren't the well known.

Harris is progressive. She supports Medicare for All, the rights of women to have bodily autonomy, help for the economically lower classes etc. Just because she was a prosecutor, doesn't mean she hates minorities. Some idiot on WaPo said she was responsible for putting people away for decades. Judges sentence people, not prosecutors and Georgia's own Fanni Willis is also very tough on crime, yet she is very popular in very liberal Fulton county.

As far as Pete B goes, it's not just the fact that our bigoted country isn't ready for a gay VP. I read an article last year, that gave evidence that it's almost impossible for a short man to win the presidency in the US, and probably other places as well. That's another form of bigotry, but when I read it, it made me think of Dukakis, a short Democrat who lost the race for presidency. How many short men have been presidents? Not very many afaik. Plus, I'd like to see someone who was or is a governor.

Now that I think of it, I have no idea how tall Beshear is. :eek:

Ah, basic political literacy. I was beginning to doubt the voting credentials of everyone in this thread, not recognizing the name of their own presidential pick 7 years ago, whose name is also helpfully reprinted in the poll above.
What even does "Hillary Rodham Clinton gay" mean? I thought you meant Human Rights Campaign in the sense that they are not radical enough for you.
1557642084842.jpg

Of course I know that bypassing Whitmer is largely based on misogyny.
So not picking a woman as running mate is "misogyny"? "No men need apply" in order not to be a misogynist? Really?
Neither gender nor geography should matter but they do.
Gender certainly matters to you. You want a two woman ticket.
No, I want a world where gender does not affect a person’s ability to hold high office, in this case, POTUS.

In the world we live in right now, I absolutely do worry that having two women heading the ticket might be a bridge too far for too many voters. It should not matter whether someone is male or female —or trans! Or what their race or religion—including no religion-is but unfortunately we don’t yet live in that world.

As I noted before, I think owning the female ticket works better than the female lead on the ticket. The idea we need to balance the ticket via gender reinforces the misogyny.
On the contrary, saying that there should be an all woman ticket and that men should not be considered is misandry.
I've demonstrated the geographic and electoral benefit of Whitmer being on the ticket and Harris being on the ticket. I have not suggested the ticket has to be all female, rather I'm suggesting it could be possible to reduce the misogyny with it being all-female.
Dems are already strong with women, but are hurting with men.
Putting a male running mate with Harris going to swing the male vote?
This dismissive attitude toward half of the population is not going to help.
The only person being dismissive is you because you aren't even reading posts within any sense of context other than your own bias.
We are in a unique situation, historically. And Trump just trashes general political rules and decorum. So, this to me is a perfect time for a Harris-Whitmer candidacy. Shoring up Michigan, I think helps Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, while as shoring Pennsylvania just shores up Pennsylvania.
Why do you think a running mate from MI helps in PA, but a running mate from PA does not help in MI?
PA is in the Northeast. Michigan is in the Midwest. The average Midwestern voter is more conservative than the average Northeast voter.

Harris is progressive. She supports Medicare for All,
She certainly positioned herself as one in 2019, including her cockamamie support for banning fracking and offshore drilling. She also wrongly (and libelously) claimed that Michael Brown was "murdered". How much of that nonsense she really believes that is another question.
the rights of women to have bodily autonomy,
Well, only in one aspect of their bodily autonomy.
help for the economically lower classes etc. Just because she was a prosecutor, doesn't mean she hates minorities.
That was always a silly attack. What should she have done as a prosecutor? Only prosecute white suspects?
Some idiot on WaPo said she was responsible for putting people away for decades. Judges sentence people, not prosecutors
Prosecutors have a great deal of discretion regarding charging decisions and plea bargains.
and Georgia's own Fanni Willis is also very tough on crime, yet she is very popular in very liberal Fulton county.
Well, she is pretty tenacious with RICO cases against both Young Thug (Jeffery Williams) and Old Thug (Donald Trump).
As far as Pete B goes, it's not just the fact that our bigoted country isn't ready for a gay VP. I read an article last year, that gave evidence that it's almost impossible for a short man to win the presidency in the US, and probably other places as well.
Mayor Pete did pretty well in 2020. If he could win over the hayseeds of Iowa, I do not think Michigan, Pennsylvania or Wisconsin will be too much of a problem.

Speaking of height, how tall is Kamala herself? And would she want her running mate to tower over her?

I've demonstrated the geographic and electoral benefit of Whitmer being on the ticket and Harris being on the ticket. I have not suggested the ticket has to be all female, rather I'm suggesting it could be possible to reduce the misogyny with it being all-female.
It sure sounded to me like you were advocating for an all-female ticket.
Putting a male running mate with Harris going to swing the male vote?
It would reduce the perception that Dems are ignoring men, especially white men.
Look at SCOTUS. Biden pledged to only consider black women, even though the last two Dem justices were women as well. Same for Veep when he nominated Kamala - no men needed to apply. Same when Gov. Goodhair pledged to only consider black women to replace Diane Feinstein in the Senate.
There is a clear pattern of bias, and saying that an all-female ticket would be preferable is perpetuating it.

PA is in the Northeast. Michigan is in the Midwest. The average Midwestern voter is more conservative than the average Northeast voter.
That does not explain why the electoral help would be unidirectional.

Not suggesting Porter as VP but she needs to be in a prominent position.
Some cabinet post?
If you want to blow some minds, how about AOC? Very very smart, articulate, east coast, working class.
LMAO!
Let’s own the female/POC thing!
With this attitude, is it any wonder Dems are doing poorly with white men? Your attitude is basically "men (especially straight white men) need not apply".
I know you don’t quite grasp but until 2020, there were ZERO women as VP or POTUS. Until 2008, there were ZERO persons of color as POTUS or VP.

ZERO.

And now, as expected we have white men losing their shit at the notion that women —including women of color—might hold the highest offices in the land.

Women and persons of color have been expected to just accept the authority and rule of white men for centuries.

I will admit that I threw in that bit about AOC specifically for you but it’s not a bad idea.

Didn't former SCOTUS Justice Ginsberg make a note about wanting nine women on the SCOTUS bench. Pointing out how an all male bench doesn't raise any eyebrows, but make it an all women bench and then things aren't right.

Back
Top Bottom