• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2020

Aside from 1964, California was a reliably Republican state in every presidential election until 1992, when it was carried by Bill Clinton. The state has voted Democrat in every presidential election since 1992, usually by lopsided margins. [source wiki]

I'm certain you'd be happy if the Dems were in power continuously since 1992? This is exactly why the smaller states should also have a say wouldn't you think!
Texas and Florida aren't as small as they look on your maps.

Aside from 1964, California was a reliably Republican state in every presidential election until 1992, when it was carried by Bill Clinton. The state has voted Democrat in every presidential election since 1992, usually by lopsided margins. [source wiki]

I'm certain you'd be happy if the Dems were in power continuously since 1992? This is exactly why the smaller states should also have a say wouldn't you think!

But they're quite tiny in terms of average IQ of resident voters...

California has never voted for anything. California citizens have voted. Nice try at a dodge though.

California has never voted for anything. California citizens have voted. Nice try at a dodge though.

That would be nice if true, but Californians don't vote for the president; we vote on what non-binding recommendation to give to our electors, who then deliver a small number of votes on behalf of the state. As a collective, not as individuals. If we had a direct vote, Clinton would be in the White House.

Biden is just the new Hillary, but with a little more charm and a pervy scandal hanging over him.

Its interesting to see how the Democrat candidates are falling apart as they gain popularity. First Warren with her native american idiocy, and then Biden with his handsy perv idiocy. Whoever is the next to be front runner, I think we can expect a scandal to be dug up (if there is anything legitimate) or fabricated (if not) against them too.

That would be nice if true, but Californians don't vote for the president; we vote on what non-binding recommendation to give to our electors, who then deliver a small number of votes on behalf of the state. As a collective, not as individuals. If we had a direct vote, Clinton would be in the White House.

Well, that's better than hat Angelo said.

Well, that's better than hat Angelo said.

Also true.

Rep. Gabbard on Venezuela: Trump WH 'saber-rattling,' US should broker diplomatic solution with Russia

2020 presidential candidate Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, bashed the Trump administration Wednesday in a Fox News interview, accusing the White House of "saber-rattling" and saying the U.S. should work with Russia to avoid a potential nuclear conflict over Venezuela.

"Any time we are in this situation where you have tensions being ratcheted up and this conflict being pushed closer and closer between nuclear-armed countries like the United States and countries like Russia and China, this is something that poses an existential threat to the American people," Gabbard said on "The Story with Martha MacCallum."

"And, when you hear this kind of saber-rattling coming from the Trump administration from people like [National Security Adviser] John Bolton and [Secretary of State] Mike Pompeo, pushing this civil war and for the United States to get involved, we are dealing with dangerous consequences."

It is sad that I have to go to Fox News to get news on positive positions that Representative Gabbard is taking.

NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio Set to Announce 2020 Presidential Bid

That makes 23. At this point, the progressives have a shot purely based on the centrist vote being split a dozen ways.

Well, if you want to look on the bright side Democrat voters will almost certainly have the good sense to vote out at least 22 of these candidates. That’s like scoring a 96% on a test.
dismal, that's abysmal. Many potential voters likely like more than one of the candidates, likely several of them. But they have to choose only one of them.

Back in 2015-16, there were 17 Republican Presidential candidates. Does that make it a great disappointment that only 6% of them got to be President?

I wrote this in the Pete Buttigieg thread in response to someone else's post, but realized it was better off in this thread. So, apropos to nothing else anyone else has yet posted here:

I haven't decided who I will vote for in the primaries because I really like so many of them but all for different reasons. I wish it was more like a "select 1 from column A, 1 from column B..."

It's easier for me to say who I WON'T vote for in the primaries: Tulsi Gabbard, Bernie Sanders

And a few that I have no idea who they are yet: John Delaney, Mike Gravel, Wayne Messam, Seth Moulton, Tim Ryan, Marianne Williamson

As to everyone else, I really like certain aspects and policy positions but no one candidate checks all of my boxes.

Michael Bennet - solid, middle of the road, Koy should like him because he is a middle-aged straight white guy. I loved how he lit into Ted Cruz.

Joe Biden - a LOT of baggage & too old, but also that "steady influence"; and as Dulcé Sloan said on The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, it's our best chance of seeing President Obama back in the White House. Maybe only as a dinner guest, but back in the White House nonetheless. :D

Cory Booker - I've followed Booker for several years & always thought I would vote for him if he ever ran for President. (I just never expected that we would have so many other options to choose from) Even my conservative cousin really liked him from when he was Mayor of Newark. He supports the New Green Deal, prison reform, criminal justice reform.

Pete Buttigieg - Love his demeanor, Rhodes scholar (so is Cory Booker), multiple languages, military service. I think he is very 'middle of the road' in his policy outlook, but I think he would be a steadying/calming choice, and he is a millennial which I think would help voter turnout.

Julián Castro - another politician that I've have followed for several years and always vowed I'd vote for if I ever had the chance. He supports Medicare for All, and has a solid history of supporting ethical immigration reform.

Kirsten Gillibrand - she leaves me feeling 'meh', but she shouldn't. I agree with her on every platform I've heard/read from her, so I'm not sure where my lack of enthusiasm comes from.

Kamala Harris - Love her strength and love how she has handled herself in the various hearings. She was my first donation of this cycle. I think she is far more centrist than I would prefer, but I can completely see her as our President. And I think she scares the crap out of Trump. With her, I can't foresee anything he could say to/about her that would rattle her or stick to her.

John Hickenlooper - love his positions on climate change, student debt, gun control, raising the minimum wage.

Jay Inslee - he is THE climate change candidate, which leaves me so torn. In any other election, he would be my #1 choice just because I genuinely believe that we are running out of time on minimizing climate change. OTOH, as Pete Buttigieg said, if we don't get Trump out of the White House, and we don't get the obstructionist Republicans out of office, climate policy won't matter because they will block it. I really like Jay Inslee because of his climate policy, but I don't think he has what it takes to defeat Trump.

Amy Klobuchar - I really like her positions on automatic voter registration, campaign reform & other topics. She doesn't go nearly far enough regarding environment/climate change but she has spoken about it more than most of the others. And she's from the midwest... those supposedly forgotten people everybody is always whinging about.

Beto O'Rourke - absolutely love his policy positions on climate change, universal healthcare, living wage, and immigration. I've also been very very impressed with how he is able to address - in depth and intelligently - any topic thrown at him in the town hall meetings. So many candidates (including several of my other favorites) tend to spin any question to a rehearsed talking point, so they end up sounding like robots repeating the exact same thing at every speech. Beto doesn't do that.

Eric Swalwell - another younger, clean-cut white guy for Koy (there, we have TWO!) but I still like him a LOT. I love his exceptionally strong stance on gun-control, and his positions on no-interest federal student loans and debt-free college for work-study students.

Elizabeth Warren - I love her for the policy wonk she is. I think she is amazingly smart and would actually make an excellent President; but I'm not sure she can beat Trump

Andrew Yang - He is the only candidate talking about universal basic income, but he shouldn't be. I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell, but I'd love for him to at least make it to the debate stages to give this topic more air. (Same for Jay Inslee re: climate change)

Bottom line, I don't know yet who gets my vote in the primary, but whoever wins the primary gets my vote in the general.

Let's see what the pre-politics careers of the 2016 Republicans were:
  • Law: Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Jim Gilmore, Rick Santorum, George Pataki - 6
  • Business: Donald Trump, Jeb Bush, Carly Fiorina, Rick Perry - 4
  • Assistant: John Kasich, Bobby Jindal - 2
  • Medical: Ben Carson, Rand Paul - 2
  • Religious: Mike Huckabee - 1
  • Military: Lindsey Graham - 1
  • None: Scott Walker - 1
Donald Trump's first challenger is Bill Weld, a former lawyer.

Now the pre-politics careers of the 2018 Democrats:
  • Law: Joe Biden, Cory Booker, Julian Castro, Kirsten Gillibrand, Kamala Harris, Jay Inslee, Amy Klobuchar - 7
  • Business: Michael Bennet, John Delaney, Mike Gravel, John Hickenlooper, Wayne Messam, Seth Moulton, Beto O'Rourke, Andrew Yang - 8
  • Assistant: Pete Buttigieg, Bill de Blasio, Tim Ryan, Eric Swalwell - 4
  • Professor: Elizabeth Warren - 1
  • Odd jobs: Bernie Sanders - 1
  • Activist: Marianne Williamson - 1
  • None: Tulsi Gabbard - 1

Source: their Wikipedia biographies. It must be noted that some of the pre-politics careers were very short.

So both parties' candidates include plenty of lawyers and plenty of business leaders. Meaning that if one subscribes to an ideology of "business leaders good, lawyers bad", one will find it hard to choose.

Pete Buttigieg: How Many Languages Does He Actually Speak? - The Atlantic - "His campaign confirmed eight when I reached out: English, Norwegian, Spanish, French, Italian, Maltese, Arabic, and Dari."

No indication of what level of proficiency, since if one is good at bullshitting, one can use that skill to seem much more competent in some language than one actually is. It's like what I've found with all the chatbot software that I have ever conversed with.

That aside, using my simplified FSI/Army scale of difficulty, I have:
  • Norwegian, Spanish, French, Italian
  • Maltese, Dari
  • Arabic

NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio Set to Announce 2020 Presidential Bid

That makes 23. At this point, the progressives have a shot purely based on the centrist vote being split a dozen ways.

Well, if you want to look on the bright side Democrat voters will almost certainly have the good sense to vote out at least 22 of these candidates. That’s like scoring a 96% on a test.
dismal, that's abysmal. Many potential voters likely like more than one of the candidates, likely several of them. But they have to choose only one of them.

Back in 2015-16, there were 17 Republican Presidential candidates. Does that make it a great disappointment that only 6% of them got to be President?

As I said, I was trying to look on the bright side. The bright side is most of these clowns will lose. The tragedy is one will win.

As I said, I was trying to look on the bright side. The bright side is most of these clowns will lose. The tragedy is one will win.

The cognitive dissonance you must have in thinking the Democrats are the party with the clown car is adorable.

They are population wise as compared to NY and California.

Back
Top Bottom