• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Europe submits voluntarily

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snip>​

A lot of that increase is due to increased life expectancies alone, though. If you run the calculations with my parameters and simplifications and a fertility rate exactly at the replacement level, that is population growth rate 0.0%, you still get a ratio of 1.6 exactly. In that model, each one-year-cohort is exactly as strong as the previous one, so all we need to do is compare the 40 cohorts between ages 25-65 to the 25 cohorts 65-90. A more realistic age-dependent mortality, instead of pretending everyone drops dead on their 90th birthday, only makes things worse, though not by much as long as few people die before 65.

Indeed, even if we plug in the US's current population growth rate of 0.7% annually, the ratio is still 2.01 workers to every retiree at a 90 year life expectancy. In order to maintain a ratio of 2.9 with a life expectancy of 90 years, a growth rate of 1.8% annually is required. Conversely, if you believe that life expectancies will plateau at 80 or 85, even the declining population corresponding to a fertility rate of 1.5 will still have a workers/retirees ratio of 1.98 or 1.44 respectively.

What these calculations also ignore is that not only are the retiree cohorts numerically stronger in a declining population than the working-age cohorts, but the cohorts of children and students are weaker than the working age cohorts. These effects almost cancel each other out: If we assume a stable fertility rate high enough to guarantee an annual population growth of 1% and life expectancy of 90 years, the ratio of workers/non-workers (where non-workers include both retirees and children and full-time students, modeled as anyone below age 25 or above 65) will be 0.7629. For population declining at -1.1% annually (which is what I get for TFR of 1.5) that same figure will be 0.7547. In fact those ratios are symmetric: A positive growth rate of +1% or 101/100 produces the exact same ratio as a negative growth rate of -0.99% (=100/101), and the optimal ratio of 0.8 (40 cohorts of working age people to 25 cohorts each of children/students and retirees) is achieved only at 0.0 growth, where all cohorts are the same size. This is an artifact of the fact that our pre- and post-productive life phases are the same length (25 years before 25, 25 years after 65 till death at 90). With a lower life expectancy, children and students will be more of a burden than retirees and thus the ratio worse under a growing than a declining population.

And we could improve this ratio by increasing immigration of young workers. This is my argument.

We could. Or we could reap the fruits of productivity increases and realise that in the 21st century there's no longer any good reason why the ratio has to be high to provide everyone with a good life.

The birth rate is the running average number of children each woman has in their lifetime. The replacement rate is the birth rate required to keep the population constant without any migration or immigration, people leaving or entering the country. The replacement has to be above two to account for the factors you mentioned but it must always be above two.

No, the birth rate is the number of children born per year per 1000 inhabitants. What you're talking about is the total fertility rate.
Terminology aside, the replacement fertility rate can be below 2.00 under one condition: If more girls than boys are born, and the bias is strong enough to offset girls' and women's death rate before the end of fertility.

<snip>​

If so, I don't see how what you're proposing - to keep the ratio artificially high in order to not have to address those priorities - is any different from a man who keeps throwing more and more fuel into the fireplace to fight the chill while ignoring the open windows.

<snip>​

Okay, more. Yes, the birth rate and the fertility rate are different. I tried to keep talking about the much more relevant fertility rate to the discussion but kept slipping back to the term birth rate the term that you and bomb were using. The fertility rate is the rate of births among women of childbearing age. This is the critical question here. And yes, the birth rate can drop below 2.0 because 90 year old women don't have many births.

Yes, automation has the potentional for bettering the lives of the vast majority of the population, just as it did up until the time of neoliberalism when the gains from automation was directed by the neoliberal policies to the 1%. It still has the possibilities to improve the lives of the vast majority of the people but only if the neoliberal economic policies are changed. I didn't propose anything in my post but to say that all things being equal, meaning that the policies won't change, that the 1% won't suddenly desire less income, that the 1% won't let their grip on the political process go, that the conservatives in the country won't realize that the 1% are taking advantage of the conservatives' gullibility to economically disadvantage the 99%, that the conservatives will suddenly not require daily affirmation of the lies that they are being told, etc. I don't see any reason to believe any of these things, if anything they are getting worse, Trumpism for example.

If I was proposing anything it would be that we return to the days in which the conservatives were being ignored because their contribution to any question involving change is always "no" and the solutions to the problems that we have almost always involve changes. Changes involve risk and if you aren't being affected or you don't realize that you are being affected by the problems it is easy to say "no".

But rather than ignoring conservatives the opposite has happened. More and more people take the easy way and the country has become more conservative, not less. They are told that the way to better a better life is for the country to become more individualistic, people watching out for themselves and that we haven't gained or that we have stopped gaining from collective actions and watching out for each other and cooperating with each other. This is utter crap. We are were we are today because of collective, not individual actions. Each innovation and discovery builds on the previous ones. As the complexity increases the need for collaborative action increase.

I am not assuming that you are either a neoliberal or a conservative or a Malthusian or a xenophobe. I don't know you, I don't remember any other posts that you have contributed here. This is not unusual for me, I don't have many people categorized as to their beliefs, it would probably destroy the happy illusion I have that the vast majority of people are moderates, even if they don't realize it. I am just trying to answer your post, which is an attempt to clarify bomb's post. Which you did quite well, he and I were talking past one another.

Not so. The very part you quote contains the phrase "As the population declines".

Yes, the population will keep declining. But the ratio of workers to retirees will stop declining once it reaches a new equilibrium point. This is because eventually with some time lag until the people born when birth rates were still much higher have died off, the number of retirees will shrink at the same rate as the number of workers.

Which is kind of irrelevant because no-one denied or failed to understand that a below-replacement fertility means a declining population (once the generation born when fertility rates were still higher has died off).

But hey, if you're allowed to calculate with a 5% pa decline for effect, do I get to calculate with a 5% growth?
After a century of declining at an annual rate of 5%, the US population will be 1.9 million (starting with 325 million). After a century of growing at 5%, the US population will be 42.7 billion. Neither is ideal, but I know which I'd prefer (and no, a more realistic rate won't make this go away, it'll just delay it by a few short centuries).

I don't think anyone denied that all else equal, the burden on the younger generation will be higher. What people are denying is that all else will be equal, or that immigration is the only parameter that can reasonably be tweaked.

And the ratio of 1.12 workers supporting a retiree is more than doubling the burden over today when there are about 2.9 workers for each retiree.

A lot of that increase is due to increased life expectancies alone, though. If you run the calculations with my parameters and simplifications and a fertility rate exactly at the replacement level, that is population growth rate 0.0%, you still get a ratio of 1.6 exactly. In that model, each one-year-cohort is exactly as strong as the previous one, so all we need to do is compare the 40 cohorts between ages 25-65 to the 25 cohorts 65-90. A more realistic age-dependent mortality, instead of pretending everyone drops dead on their 90th birthday, only makes things worse, though not by much as long as few people die before 65.

Indeed, even if we plug in the US's current population growth rate of 0.7% annually, the ratio is still 2.01 workers to every retiree at a 90 year life expectancy. In order to maintain a ratio of 2.9 with a life expectancy of 90 years, a growth rate of 1.8% annually is required. Conversely, if you believe that life expectancies will plateau at 80 or 85, even the declining population corresponding to a fertility rate of 1.5 will still have a workers/retirees ratio of 1.98 or 1.44 respectively.

What these calculations also ignore is that not only are the retiree cohorts numerically stronger in a declining population than the working-age cohorts, but the cohorts of children and students are weaker than the working age cohorts. These effects almost cancel each other out: If we assume a stable fertility rate high enough to guarantee an annual population growth of 1% and life expectancy of 90 years, the ratio of workers/non-workers (where non-workers include both retirees and children and full-time students, modeled as anyone below age 25 or above 65) will be 0.7629. For population declining at -1.1% annually (which is what I get for TFR of 1.5) that same figure will be 0.7547. In fact those ratios are symmetric: A positive growth rate of +1% or 101/100 produces the exact same ratio as a negative growth rate of -0.99% (=100/101), and the optimal ratio of 0.8 (40 cohorts of working age people to 25 cohorts each of children/students and retirees) is achieved only at 0.0 growth, where all cohorts are the same size. This is an artifact of the fact that our pre- and post-productive life phases are the same length (25 years before 25, 25 years after 65 till death at 90). With a lower life expectancy, children and students will be more of a burden than retirees and thus the ratio worse under a growing than a declining population.

And we could improve this ratio by increasing immigration of young workers. This is my argument.

We could. Or we could reap the fruits of productivity increases and realise that in the 21st century there's no longer any good reason why the ratio has to be high to provide everyone with a good life.

The birth rate is the running average number of children each woman has in their lifetime. The replacement rate is the birth rate required to keep the population constant without any migration or immigration, people leaving or entering the country. The replacement has to be above two to account for the factors you mentioned but it must always be above two.

No, the birth rate is the number of children born per year per 1000 inhabitants. What you're talking about is the total fertility rate.
Terminology aside, the replacement fertility rate can be below 2.00 under one condition: If more girls than boys are born, and the bias is strong enough to offset girls' and women's death rate before the end of fertility.

I don't follow your math, you seem to be going down the well worn path of convincing at least yourself that you are correct. The math is overburdened with your assumptions, another way of saying that you are right if you accept my assumptions.

You can just ask ;)
Which of the assumptions do you find dubious? Do you expect life expectancies to grow indefinitely, of fertility rates to decline indefinitely?

I'll explain my formula though.
At a given rate of population growth or shrinkage, the number of people born each year will be proportionally smaller than last year's number. Say the rate is -1.1% (approximately what we get with TFR 1.5 and generation span 30). If the births in year 0 are 1 unit (say a million people), the births in year 1 will be 0.989 units, and the births in year 2 0.989 x that, or 0.989^2, and so on and so forth. For every year y, the births will be 0.989^y. To find the total number of retirees, we sum over the births from 90 years ago to the births from 65 years ago. For ease of calculation, the births 90 years ago will be our unit. We thus sum over the numbers {0.989^0 ... 0.989^(90-66)}, and likewise for the workers, though here the range will start at 0.989^25 or as I expressed it 0.989^(90-65): the oldest, and most numerous, cohort of workers will already be smaller than each retiree cohort. In fact, it will be 25 years worth of a 1.1% decline smaller than our unit cohort of 90 year olds.

The problem is simple. If the birth rate is below the replacement rate, which can never go below 2.0, the population will decline without immigration. It is inherent in the definitions of the two terms. The replacement rate is the birth rate required to keep the population constant.

Thanks for telling me nothing new. But we weren't talking about keeping the population constant, we were talking about keeping the ratio of workers/non-workers constant constant.

But it doesn't matter, your conclusion is the same as mine, the ratio of workers to retirees will decline. This is sufficient to say what I am saying, the burden on each worker will increase and we can relieve this burden by increasing immigration.

Yes, there are things that we could do to mitigate the problem without immigration. We could do what civilizations have done before. We could institute polygamy. Only the wealthy can afford to have many wives and they would be less restrained by the costs of raising a child. Of course, we could suffer then from the problem of too many sexually frustrated young males willing to blow themselves up to achieve relief from the 78 virgins in heaven. And I think that polygamy isn't so much a reaction to declining birth rates as it is reflecting the desire of rich and powerful men to have sex with many different women.

But the conservative approach is to assume that everything else remains as it is. That we don't turn to polygamy, that we don't as bomb suggested increase the retirement age to lower the mortality age at retirement by working people to death.

This is wrong. What automation does first of foremost is increase the amount of products produced without a proportional increase in the size of the workforce, or no increase at all. I don't want to go into that same old derail with Bomb#20 about the labor theory of value, and fortunately I don't have to: Simple suppy-and-demand reasoning will tell you that producers will have to make their products cheaper relative to wages in order to find buyers in that scenario. The only situation in which this isn't so is if supply is upper-bound due to relying on a scarce natural ressource. If that's what you're basing your reasoning upon, you are the Malthusian, not Bomb#20. Also, in that case, population growth would surely make the situation worse.

I am the all time champion of economic theory derails.

I will try to minimize that to answer this, but it is hard for me.

My statement that automation isn't the answer for this problem is based on the conditions that exist today continuing. Here are those conditions,

<snipped long-winding discussion which might be relevant directed at a defender of neoliberalism, but you're barking up the wrong tree>

The reason that a worker can't pay 90% of his income in payroll taxes is because the workers are not sharing in the rewards from automation. It is now the aim of our current economic policy to pass all of the gains from all of the growth in the economy to the already wealthy. Both you and bomb seem reluctant to acknowledge this point but seem to ignore it rather than to offer your reasons to oppose it.

If I understand you correctly, you're admitting that automation has the potential to allow everyone to have a high living standard despite a declining ratio of workforce/adult population but contending that this potential isn't being actualised because of how neoliberal economies prioritise production and organise distribution of the produce. Is that a fair paraphrase?

If so, I don't see how what you're proposing - to keep the ratio artificially high in order to not have to address those priorities - is any different from a man who keeps throwing more and more fuel into the fireplace to fight the chill while ignoring the open windows.

And to stick with this analogy, he's already low on fuel and will soon be starting to burn the furniture: Continued exponential growth is not a feasible long-term solution due to rather simple math. You can call me a Malthusian till the cows come home, but the fact remains that, at a continued exponential growth of just 1% per year, the population multiplies by a factor of 2.7 per century, 20959 per millennium, and over 9 trillion in 3000 years, still well within the timescales of human civilisation. Starting with todays population of 7.6 billion and assuming an average human to have 50kg, half of the earth's mass, liquid iron core and all, will be human flesh by the year 5018.

I'm very much not a Malthusian in that I accept the empirical evidence that this is not in fact happening, that population growth is already slowing down at an encouraging speed globally and the population likely will peak within the century, early next century at the latest. But his math was right, it's his assumptions that were wrong. Continued exponential growth is a mathematical impossibility in a universe with a finite maximum speed and a finite number of dimensions, much more so within any one country.

It didn't sink in that you were calculating the ratio of workers to retirees, my bad, it has finally sunk in. Yes, this will stabilize over a long period of time, long after the baby boomers and the baby boomers' babies have died. But I was talking about the immediate problem that the Germans have faced for half a century and that we are facing now.

You are saying that the problem will get not so bad in say forty to fifty years, so let's just humor the xenophobia in the country until then and not go with the obvious solution that we all agree will solve the problem because you think that Malthus was right and while it hasn't been proven in the last two centuries any day now it will be and we would rue the day that we let in legal immigrants.

Is that a reasonable summary of your position and mine?

Not even close.

I'm not arguing to "humor the xenophobia" -- if you've read any of my other posts in this thread, this should be obvious. While you seem to be arguing that immigration is a necessary evil in order to maintain a high ratio of workers to retirees, but an evil nonetheless, I don't see it as an evil in the first place.

I don't agree that what you're proposing is any solution at all -- if, as you yourself said, the productivity increases of the last decades haven't translated into increased living standards for the masses because they went to increased profits rather than increased real wages, then what is telling that a higher ratio of workers/retirees isn't too going to be skimmed off for more profits without benefitting the workers?

And I don't think Malthus was right - an increasing number of countries are reaching stage 3 of the demographic transition, and the global population is set to start shrinking quite plausibly within the century. He was right that a constant high birth rate would eventually lead to disaster and collapse, but wrong in that he didn't foresee the organic drop of the birth rate we've witnessed in the last half century.

Are you going to deny the fact that exponential growth trends towards infinity? Yes, food production has outgrown population for the last 200 years and I fully expect that to be the case for the next couple hundred years (especially as the population is about to start shrinking), but it is physically and mathematically impossible for that situation to hold forever with constant exponential growth. At the current global population growth rate of 1.1% annually, there'll be more humans than there are atoms in the visible universe in less than 15,000 years: 1.011^15000 * 7600000000 = 1.4 * 10^81. There just isn't anywhere near enough baryonic matter within 15,000 light years to make those bodies, or enough energy sources to keep them alive.

You and Bomb#20 before seem to be having a great deal of trouble with the concept of all things being equal. It is short for all other things (factors) being equal to what they are today. This means that what I saying is that the factors that go into the population question like girl/boy ratio of births and the who benefits from the installation of automation, now the owners and not the workers, will continue as they are today. I can't explain it any better than this. Possibly you could explain what you think that the phrase means and we can better understand the differences.

I understand what all things equal means. I do not understand your insistence that all (other) things must be kept equal and the only parameter that we're allowed to adjust is the demographic one -- when you even admit it's not the root cause of the problem. My analogy about firing up the fireplace while keeping the windows open seems quite apt.

The rest seems to be hand waving, like the different units for the birth rate and the fertility rate, that doesn't cry out for a response.

It's a minor point, but it doesn't add to the impression that you've thought this through and researched it when you don't even use the terminology correctly.

Last edited:
Malthus had the excuse that he was unaware of the possibility of the contraceptive pill, and the effect that providing effective and safe contraception to (increasingly educated and wealthy) populations would have on birth rates.

It is not hyperbolic to suggest that this was perhaps the single most important human invention of the 20th century; Had 1950's population growth not been arrested by the introduction of the pill, we would have faced either a Malthusian disaster, or tyranny (eg a global imposition of the Chinese 'one child' policy). Instead we can allow people complete reproductive freedom to have as many children as they want, safe in the knowledge that the number they want is far fewer than the number they would have in the absence of effective contraception, and is low enough to avoid exponential population growth.

Malthus had the excuse that he was unaware of the possibility of the contraceptive pill, and the effect that providing effective and safe contraception to (increasingly educated and wealthy) populations would have on birth rates.

It is not hyperbolic to suggest that this was perhaps the single most important human invention of the 20th century; Had 1950's population growth not been arrested by the introduction of the pill, we would have faced either a Malthusian disaster, or tyranny (eg a global imposition of the Chinese 'one child' policy). Instead we can allow people complete reproductive freedom to have as many children as they want, safe in the knowledge that the number they want is far fewer than the number they would have in the absence of effective contraception, and is low enough to avoid exponential population growth.
Not only was Malthus wrong about the constancy of the population growth rate,

Capture-7.png

he was also flat out wrong with his prediction regarding food production. In the 220 years since he published his "Iron Law of Population", the global population has multiplied by 8.4 times, yet not only has food production, but famines are less common now than in his time. Those that have occurred, were almost all due to political causes rather than an agricultural limits of production.

Fun fact: If we had maintained 1970 growth rates, the world population would now be 10 billion, and we'd be adding ~200 million a year instead of the ~84 million we really are.

The growth rate, as a percentage, peaked around 1970 and has almost halved since then. The absolute volume of growth, the year-to-year difference in population, peaked around 1990 at over 90 million and has fallen a good 10% since. The number of births in absolute terms is still slightly growing, but this is offset by a faster rise in the number of deaths (as the world population becomes older, i. e. the number of people born 60-90 years ago who now have high death rates is, in absolute and relative terms, larger than ever before in human history.

The number of births in relative terms (whether relative to the total population, or to the number of women of childbearing age) is falling rapidly. The reason we have (slightly) more births today than we had 25 years ago is that today's parent generation is much more numerous.

Last edited:
So you agree that a Europe that has allegedly submitted voluntarily is still a much nicer place than anywhere in the US?
I said it is a nicer place than certain high-crime cities in the US.
But yes, there are certain aspects of Europe that are still very nice. Some, such as high levels of social services are threatened by these safety nets being overburdened by mass migration of people who are net drain on it because they have no or few skills and a gazillion children.
Other qualities that make Europe a nice place to live are in direct conflict with Islamic prohibitions and are thus directly threatened by Islamisation.
Old Europe:
8c4c93aebac8ee5060c4f482e687029b

New Europe:
image-543433-breitwandaufmacher-bfwv-543433.jpg

Old Europe:
Merkel-750x480.jpg
New Europe:
bild.jpg

Old Europe:
spanferkel.jpg

New Europe:
1077361-1720130449.jpg

And so on.

We are now using fossil fuels (hydrocarbons and uranium) to mine fossil water (massive aquifers) and this is gonna to lead to the mother of all Malthusian crashes.

Look at the data from the "Grace" satellite pair. That is some chilling stuff. The aquifers are running dry.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/Grace/index.html

Article on a great website about Malthus.

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2009-04-12/malthus-and-vice/

You should get a treatment for your paranoia.
Or you for you myopia.

Congratulation, you found 5-ish different sujets from five companies.
After 5 mins of google image search. It is hardly exhaustive.

If anything, you're making the point that they're underrepresented.
Since these are examples, not a complete list of even a statistical sample, I fail to see how that follows.
If anything, the group I find sorely underrepresented are less religious Muslims. Whenever a Muslim woman is featured in an ad,

That BIPA campaign alone probably used 20 different models with the same motto "weil ich ein Mädchen bin". I've seen them hang around town and I never even noticed the one with the hijab, I much more remember a tattooed woman and a grandma, and some manly men with the message "If only girls go to BIPA, I'm a girl too".
What town would that be? Riverside City, Austria? :)

Really, get a professional to look at your paranoia.
latest

It's not that I count MINOs,, it's that one has to count MINOs in order to get a number of Muslims anywhere near, or potentially above, the number of vegetarians.
But that's because the number of vegetarians includes VINOs too.
Besides, the number of Muslims is increasing rapidly due to mass migration. It will increase even faster if SPD gets its way on family reunification (Familiennachzug).
Mass migrants are still streaming in. Mostly across the Mediterranean from Libya but the Balkan route is far from sealed. There are still people illegally crossing into Croatia or Hungary from Serbia and continue on to whatever EU country gives them most generous benefits.

Afghan citizens in Germany, including asylum seekers, as per Dec. 31, 2016:
Somalis: 33,900
Pakistanis: 73,790
That was last year. How many came in 2017? How many will come as result of "family reunification" and how many will be born as result of high birthrates among Afghans, Pakistanis and Somalis?

That's less than half a percent of the German population of 82.5 million between them!
That's still a rather high number when you remember that we are talking about only three countries.

And why do all those Muslims insist on going to Western Europe and not a fellow Muslim country?
i-hate-the-west-white-people-christianity-monogamy-non-halal-3401192.png

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't matter one bit what color the people are.

The problem is one of culture.

True. I did not say anything different.

We are now using fossil fuels (hydrocarbons and uranium) to mine fossil water (massive aquifers) and this is gonna to lead to the mother of all Malthusian crashes.

Look at the data from the "Grace" satellite pair. That is some chilling stuff. The aquifers are running dry.

Don't be silly. We have an inexhaustible supply of water for the cost of the energy needed to desalinate it.

And we have an effectively inexhaustible uranium and thorium resource to provide that energy.

Don't confuse a reserve with a resource. They are very different things. The lithosphere is a LOT of everything. We're not going to run out in the foreseeable future.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/31/rare_metals_mineral_reserves_talk_preamble/

Don't be silly. We have an inexhaustible supply of water for the cost of the energy needed to desalinate it.

And we have an effectively inexhaustible uranium and thorium resource to provide that energy.

Don't confuse a reserve with a resource. They are very different things. The lithosphere is a LOT of everything. We're not going to run out in the foreseeable future.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/31/rare_metals_mineral_reserves_talk_preamble/

You know about Energy Return on Energy Investment (EROEI), right?

Or you for you myopia.

After 5 mins of google image search. It is hardly exhaustive.

If anything, you're making the point that they're underrepresented.
Since these are examples, not a complete list of even a statistical sample, I fail to see how that follows.
If anything, the group I find sorely underrepresented are less religious Muslims. Whenever a Muslim woman is featured in an ad,

You mean whenever a Muslim woman that you recognise as a Muslim woman is featured in an ad?

You do realise that Muslims don't have an extra limb or such?

That BIPA campaign alone probably used 20 different models with the same motto "weil ich ein Mädchen bin". I've seen them hang around town and I never even noticed the one with the hijab, I much more remember a tattooed woman and a grandma, and some manly men with the message "If only girls go to BIPA, I'm a girl too".
What town would that be? Riverside City, Austria? :)

There's only one river that deserves to be referred to as the river, and that's the Danube. And there's only one city along that river that deserves to be callled the... or am I being unfair to Budapest and Belgrade here?

It's not that I count MINOs,, it's that one has to count MINOs in order to get a number of Muslims anywhere near, or potentially above, the number of vegetarians.
But that's because the number of vegetarians includes VINOs too.
Besides, the number of Muslims is increasing rapidly due to mass migration.

I'm pretty sure the number of vegetarians has been growing faster for the last 2 decades than the number of Muslims. Quite plausibly, the average vegetarian has higher purchasing power than the average Muslim too, so if your purpose was to debate my point that the company you accused of "submitting" is advertising their product as "veggie" because they, well, want to sell it to vegetarians, you're failing miserably.

Afghan citizens in Germany, including asylum seekers, as per Dec. 31, 2016:
Somalis: 33,900
Pakistanis: 73,790
That was last year. How many came in 2017?

Not a lot. The total number of asylum seekers in 2017 was less than 1/5 the 2016 figure, and of those only 8.3% are Afghans, 3.4% Somalis, and and Pakistan doesn't even show up among the top ten: http://www.bamf.de/SharedDocs/Anlag...CCED89B6F51CC.1_cid359?__blob=publicationFile

That's less than half a percent of the German population of 82.5 million between them!
That's still a rather high number when you remember that we are talking about only three countries.

I didn't choose to talk about those three countries, you did! It doesn't show you know what you're talking about, does it?

You know about Energy Return on Energy Investment (EROEI), right?

I do. It demonstrates that nuclear fission is an excellent and effectively inexhaustible energy source (while also showing that windmills and PV panels are not).

So you agree that a Europe that has allegedly submitted voluntarily is still a much nicer place than anywhere in the US?
But yes, there are certain aspects of Europe that are still very nice. Some, such as high levels of social services are threatened by these safety nets being overburdened by mass migration of people who are net drain on it because they have no or few skills and a gazillion children.
Other qualities that make Europe a nice place to live are in direct conflict with Islamic prohibitions and are thus directly threatened by Islamisation.
Old Europe:

New Europe:

Old Europe:
View attachment 14384
New Europe:
bild.jpg

Old Europe:
spanferkel.jpg

New Europe:
1077361-1720130449.jpg

And so on.

Jesus Christ on a pogostick! What´s the matter with you? None of those things are banned, you can stil flog your tits on the beach here, there are tits, beer and fucking pork everywhere. Have you not been to Europe since your family fled to Argentina in 1945?

Old Europe:

New Europe:

Meanwhile in reality, it's the same fucking conservatives who want to get rid of both, while normal people understand that both can exist side by side.

Geneva bans burkini and topless bathing.

About those Muslims that are allegedly breeding like rabbits...

While no exact data are available within individual European countries (if for no other reason, because religion is deemed a private matter, as it should be in a modern society, and stating it on a birth certificate entirely optional), we do have good data on the basis of comparing countries within a region.

Here's what we get when we do that:

muslims_tfr_europe.png

Both the country with the highest total fertility rate and the one with the lowest are Muslim majority (Kosovo and Bosnia-Hercegovina respectively). Other than that, it's clearly all over the place (I do get a weak correlation of ~0.2, but that's not significant; if we exclude the extremes, it's already gone).

The other countries with a Muslim majority are Albania, and the ones with double-digit Muslim minorities, in descending order, Macedonia, Montengro, Russia, and Bulgaria. They all seem to be pretty close to average.

Among countries with Muslim minorities in the high single-digit range, France does have relatively high overall TFRs - but so do e. g. Iceland and Ireland, with <1% Muslims.

Note that those figures are highly exaggerated - they are arrived at by counting as a Muslim pretty much everyone who is more likely to be circumcised than baptized based on his first or last name, whichever is more telling, that is, everyone with a Muslim family background no matter whether they're in any meaningful sense practicing the religion. This holds true for both countries with longstanding Muslim minorities or majorities (such as in the Balkans), but also for countries with more recent Muslim minorities such as France, Germany and Austria, or Sweden: The figure for Muslims there includes includes Iranian dissidents who fled because they feared to be accused of apostasy.

Moving on to Southeast Asia:

muslims_tfr_SEasia.png

Again, no significant correlation (if you insist on calculating a correlation coefficient, it's around -0.4, that is having a high percentage of Muslims is if anything weakly correlated with having low fertility rates, but it doesn't mean much with such a small sample). The country with the highest rate by far is East Timor, a Catholic country with a tiny (<1%) Muslim minority, followed by Papua New Guinea with < 0.1% Muslims. 3rd and forth places are taken by Buddhist Laos and Catholic-with-a-Muslim-minority Philippines, while Buddhist-with-a-Muslim-minority Thailand, Muslim Brunei, mostly-Muslim Malaysia and traditionally-Buddhist/Christian-but-not-so-religious-nowadays Vietnam take the bottom places.

OK, let's move on to Africa:
muslims_tfr_africa.png

Alright, TFRs in Africa are generally still much higher than in the rest of the world (they're for example much higher than the ones we saw for Europe or Southeast Asia above). Once again, though, they're not conditioned by religion. The one country with the highest rate, Niger, does happen to be around 98% Muslim, but so are several of the North African countries with TFRs near the replacement level (and if anything, Nigeriens (yes, that's a word, and it's not a misspelling of Nigerian even if my computer tries to tell me so) are probably less orthodox in their interpretation of Islam than Moroccans). Other than that, high TFRs are found throughout the central and Western parts of the continent regardless of the dominant religion among the populace. Low TFRs are found at both extremes - North Africa with almost 100% Muslims, and Southern Africa with almost no Muslims - and on offshore island states like the Seychelles, Capo Verde, and Mauritius (the low point at 1.4).

The data:

Europe:
Code:
country_name: Bulgaria    Austria Germany UK      Macedonia   Montenegro  Italy   Hungary Sweden Norway   Ireland France  Iceland Spain   Albania Czechia Poland  Serbia  Romania Bosnia  Moldova Portugal Kosovo Russia Belgium   Denmark Estonia Netherlands Latvia  Lithuania   Slovakia    Slovenia   Croatia Greece  Cyprus  Malta   Finland Switzerland
percentage_of_Muslims: 11.1        6.9     6.1     6.3     39.6        20.0        4.8     0.4    8.1     5.7      1.4     8.8     0.2     2.6     58.8    0.2     0.1     3.1     0.4     50.7    0.1     0.4     93.5    11.3    7.6     5.4     0.2     7.1         0.2     0.1         0.1         3.8         1.6     5.7     25.8    2.6     2.7     6.1
TFR: 1.46        1.47    1.49    1.89    1.6        1.8          1.43    1.44     1.88    1.86    2.0     2.07    2.01    1.49    1.51    1.63    1.34    1.43    1.34    1.28    1.33    1.38    2.09    1.73   1.78    1.73    1.6     1.78        1.51    1.59        1.48        1.58        1.42    1.42    1.47    1.55    1.75    1.55

Southeast Asia:
Malaysia Indonesia Thailand Laos Vietnam Cambodia PNG Brunei Myanmar TimorLeste Philippines
61.3 67.2 4.9 0.01 0.1 1.9 0.1 78.8 4.3 0.3 5.00
1.93 2.44 1.5 2.93 1.96 2.6 3.7 1.86 2.18 5.62 2.92

Africa:
Code:
Benin Burkina_Faso Ghana Guinea_Bissau Liberia Mali Mauritania Nigeria Senegal Sierra_Leone Togo Niger Capo_Verde Gambia Guinea Ivory_Coast Angola  Cameroon    Central_African_Republic    Chad Congo_DR Congo_R Equatorial_Guinea Gabon Sao_Tome_and_Principe Burundi Comoros Djibouti Eritrea Ethiopia Kenya Madagascar Malawi Mauritius Mozambique Rwanda Seychelles Somalia South_Sudan Tanzania Uganda Zambia Zimbabwe Botswana Lesotho Namibia South_Afrika Swaziland Algeria Egypt Libya Morocco Sudan Tunisia
23.80 61.60 15.80 45.10 12.00 92.40 99.10 48.80 96.40 78.00 14.00 98.4 0.1 95.1 84.4 37.5 0.2     18.3        8.5                         55.3 1.5 1.2 4.0 11.2 0.0 2.8 98.3 96.9 36.6 34.6 9.7 3.0 13.0 16.7 18 1.8 1.1 99.8 6.2 35.2 11.5 0.5 0.9 0.4 0.0 0.3 1.7 0.2 97.9 88.9 96.9 99.9 90.7 99.5
4.8 5.5 4.2 4.8 4.7 6.2 4.6 5.7 5.1 4.6 4.6 7.6 2.3 5.7 5.0 5.0 6.1     4.7         4.3                         6.2 6.0 4.9 4.8 3.9 4.6 5.9 4.5 3.2 4.3 4.4 4.3 4.4 5.1 1.4 5.4  3.9 2.3 6.5 5.0 5.1 5.8 5.4 3.9 2.8 3.2 3.5 2.4 3.3     2.9 3.3 2.5 2.5 4.4 2.2

Last edited:
Another way to say what I want to say:

Some people imply a causal relation between religion and high fertility rates.

We all know that correlation doesn't imply causation (or so I hope), so even if we did find a correlation, it might not mean much.

The problem is worse however: Once we make an apples to apples comparison, the correlation itself evaporates. For example in Europe, the total fertility rate (TFR) for countries with almost no Muslims tends to be between 1.4 and 1.8, though there are exceptions like Iceland and Ireland, with rates above 2.0. The TFR for countries with single-digit-percentages of Muslim minorities tends to be in the range of 1.4 to 1.8, with one exception: France at 2.07. The TFR for countries with double digit minorities or even a majority of Muslims (all of which are countries that have harbored Muslims for centuries) tends to be in the range of 1.4 - 1.8, though there are exceptions: Bosnia (50.7% Muslims, TFR 1.28, and Kosovo, >90% Muslims and a TFR of 2.09).

Similarly in Africa: Countries with almost no Muslims tend to have TFRs between 4 and just over 6, with the exception of a handful of more developed countries in Southern Africa with TFRs between 2 and 3.5, which happen to have almost no Muslims. Countries with a more or less even split between Muslims and non-Muslims tend to have TFRs between 4 and just over 6. Countries with clear Muslim majorities tend to have TFRs between 4 and just over 6, with the exception of a handful of more developed North African countries with TFRs in the 2-3.5 children per woman range (which happen to be almost entirely Muslim).

Basically, your problem isn't that correlation doesn't imply causation. A much bigger problem is that you don't have a correlation to start with!

Meanwhile in reality, it's the same fucking conservatives who want to get rid of both, while normal people understand that both can exist side by side.

Isn't female topless bathing already widely banned in public pools? Where are you allowed to do that? America? Parts of Europe maybe? I'm pretty sure it would be banned in most places. Now at the beach is a different issue. But in public pools, sure, I think it should be banned. I thought it already was banned!

I'm not 100% when it comes to the burkini; but certainly ban the burka, unless Muslim men also want to wear equivalent clothing that covers up all of their body and face. Unless both sexes are doing that, it seems like an oppressive religious requirement that has no place in the Western world. You could talk about "freedom of choice", but of course, fundamentalist Islam is the very opposite of giving people freedom of choice. There may be individual cases of women genuinely wanting to wear it (rather than being pressured into it), but then there may have been genuine cases of slaves wanting to remain slaves.

Isn't female topless bathing already widely banned in public pools? Where are you allowed to do that? America? Parts of Europe maybe? I'm pretty sure it would be banned in most places. Now at the beach is a different issue. But in public pools, sure, I think it should be banned. I thought it already was banned!

I'm not 100% when it comes to the burkini; but certainly ban the burka, unless Muslim men also want to wear equivalent clothing that covers up all of their body and face. Unless both sexes are doing that, it seems like an oppressive religious requirement that has no place in the Western world. You could talk about "freedom of choice", but of course, fundamentalist Islam is the very opposite of giving people freedom of choice. There may be individual cases of women genuinely wanting to wear it (rather than being pressured into it), but then there may have been genuine cases of slaves wanting to remain slaves.

Calling for a ban on toplessness (for women only) in any public place seems inconsistent with a desire to ban the burka.

Unless you are also calling for men to be required to wear shirts (or at least to cover their nipples) in public pools? Unless both sexes are doing that, it seems like an oppressive religious requirement that has no place in the Western world.

Breasts for women are seen in a different way to the male chest. Therefore, different standards of dress are not actually, on the surface, treating them differently. You could always question why the female chest is seen differently, and whether this is objectively justified, but anyway, it is seen differently.

And no, I don't think you could really use a similar line of argument for the burka, by saying that women's bodies are seen as different and need to be covered. It's difficult to see a real comparison when you are talking about someone being covered all over and the impact that has on their life.

And as it happens, women can already walk around, or swim, in very little clothing. So it's not much of a real inconvenience to them. If anyone objects, it's more of an in principle, "men can go around without a top on so why can't women?", rather than it actually being a genuine burden on women that they wear a bikini rather than go topless.

Breasts for women are seen in a different way to the male chest. Therefore, different standards of dress are not actually, on the surface, treating them differently. You could always question why the female chest is seen differently, and whether this is objectively justified, but anyway, it is seen differently.
You appear to be mistaking your cultural idiosyncrasies for universal and fundamental truths.

Female breasts are seen in a different way in the dominant monotheistic traditions. But that's no more a reason to cover them than Islam is a reason to cover women's hair.
And no, I don't think you could really use a similar line of argument for the burka, by saying that women's bodies are seen as different and need to be covered. It's difficult to see a real comparison when you are talking about someone being covered all over and the impact that has on their life.
Tell that to the New Guineans or Pacific Islanders who think that covering their breasts is disrespectful (and who don't find the sight of bare breasts particularly sexually arousing).
And as it happens, women can already walk around, or swim, in very little clothing. So it's not much of a real inconvenience to them. If anyone objects, it's more of an in principle, "men can go around without a top on so why can't women?", rather than it actually being a genuine burden on women that they wear a bikini rather than go topless.

No, it's just what you are used to, so you think it's normal to the point of being a universal truth.

Just as you might feel about the burka if you were an Arab peasant.

Modern western men are aroused by exposed breasts because they are kept hidden and taboo. Just as exposed ankles were in the 19th Century.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom