• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pinned Folding team - The Godless Ones

Denotes a thread or post that is permanently displayed at the top of the subforum.
On these projects, are there sometimes problematic work units?

The last two units my machine's tried to crack have slowed to a crawl. I don't thing 'time remaining' is supposed to go up, is it? 1 hour left to go, then 11, then 19....
Plus, it slows down every other program I try to run on the machine.

I was hoping it was just a bad unit, but two in a row makes me a teensy bit anxious about my settings.

Like any computerized number crunching matrices are manipulated. The more memory and/or the more threads (cores=CPUs) available the more rapid the processing. If you have only limited ram, say your OS takes up a bunch of RAM for speed of processing, and only a single CPU (not dual core, quad core, 6 core or eight core) before you need to start swapping with disk for processing you will find impacts almost immediately. Perhaps if you reconfigure the thresholds upon which your machine requires you go to disk memory access for real time processing can make the problems smaller. You can find leads at the Wiki Folding site.

Just noodling.

As for percent done and time to complete jumps the processes are guided by an algorithm which can be impacted by outcomes of any folding iteration. One of mind went from three hours estimate to complete at 10% to 11 hours at 13%. Kind of like a path was being followed until it ran into a hurdle so the processing went back and tried another path or two.

It's a cat car computer system.

$_35.JPG

Well, no matter what the setting, it's never affected my computing before. More the other way around.
WHen i had the jigsaw puzzle software, my FAH productivity went to poopies.
Now, suddenly, if my folding isn't on pause, i can hardly move my mouse without having to wait for the cursor to catch up. Makes it aggravating to play games that require precision cursor clicking...
And typing here is a letter by slow agonizing letter by letter display. I was just typing display while the screen was assembling 'agonizing.'

I'm hoping it's just a problem with this work unit.

Well, no matter what the setting, it's never affected my computing before. More the other way around.
Now, suddenly, if my folding isn't on pause, i can hardly move my mouse without having to wait for the cursor to catch up. Makes it aggravating to play games that require precision cursor clicking...
And typing here is a letter by slow agonizing letter by letter display. I was just typing display while the screen was assembling 'agonizing.'

I had that problem a few months ago, and found that disabling folding on the GPU was the only way to fix it :(

It's not a problem on my new laptop, because FAH doesn't support my current graphics driver, so I can't use the GPU even if I want to, and am reduced to CPU folding only :(

I had that problem a few months ago, and found that disabling folding on the GPU was the only way to fix it :(

It's not a problem on my new laptop, because FAH doesn't support my current graphics driver, so I can't use the GPU even if I want to, and am reduced to CPU folding only :(
the only way I figure to enable gpu folding is to run that app at full.
I asked on the support forum about the issue and was repeated told there is no advanced setting to turn on the gpu or turn off the gpu with an advanced setting.
that was a while back and I forget the userID that i used and there is no recovery email that I can find.

Both of those may be symptoms of too much build up of temporary files or some time since last cleaning of files. If not you have a memory sharing problem. Its a shame that some processors are limited to two gig reference like my 10 year old 32/64 bit system. If you have a pure 64 bit machine you should be able to add memory until the cows come home. just sayin...

interestingly enough, I figured out my folding@home userID.... today... maybe...

I'm posting today to make sure our new members have made sure to get their Passkeys from the project. If I understand it correctly, the Passkey is for security but also nets you some extra points in your Folding endeavors. They're easy to obtain and to enter into the client.

Happy Folding!

Stats!

I'm posting today to make sure our new members have made sure to get their Passkeys from the project. If I understand it correctly, the Passkey is for security but also nets you some extra points in your Folding endeavors. They're easy to obtain and to enter into the client.

Happy Folding!

Stats!

I did that onday one. Thanks for the stats info shake.

weird and unexpected..
I guess the computer I just assembled is better than I anticipated.
I can't determine exactly how much of an improvement it was from my old system until I fix the bios that I corrupted with the wrong RAM..... but point wise and work unit wise it seems to be far superior than my old setup.
I took an old pentium's case and some all thread and my table top welder and put together a skeleton case...yahbeastt.jpg

weird and unexpected..
I guess the computer I just assembled is better than I anticipated.
I can't determine exactly how much of an improvement it was from my old system until I fix the bios that I corrupted with the wrong RAM..... but point wise and work unit wise it seems to be far superior than my old setup.
I took an old pentium's case and some all thread and my table top welder and put together a skeleton case...View attachment 4558

Rube, er, OMG.

How many CPUs and how much ram not including video?

You seem to be processing about four times much data per WU than am I.

So my guesses are 32 CPUs and 32 gb.

yeah I am using two e5-2680 xeon 8 core, 32 virtual I guess... I can put 10 core cpus in but didn't want to wait to spend the additional 200 per if not 100 per cpu right now.
64 gigs ram, I thought 32 was nice but didn't want to be forced into an upgrade later on the same motherboard so I went with 64 gig.
I built it for animations and graphics, video processing... and such. 4 video card capable...
I had it down for about 8 hours today so my numbers might improve if I just leave it alone... but I need it for work...
my old system was pretty good but I went to put a liquid cooler on it and pried the chip apart trying to get it off the air heatsink... which sucked..
I might purchase another am3+ chip that I can overclock to replace that and use that as a stand by in my other board which handles 3 video cards with only 16 gig of ram.

I was contributing to this a couple of years ago but the Folding@Home app kept crashing on this computer and I had to keep killing it and restarting it, so I gave up and forgot about it.

I'm back up and churning out work units now. Don't have much in the way of CPU power to contribute but it's better than nothing.

75k points a day? Eight or nine active users? Its embarrassing. We have over 400 names on our folding list, many of whom are still active on FRDB. Simple operation. Little impact on most computers that are regularly updated and cleaned. I'm sure many here are gamers. The one I know about is cranking at about 50k points per day or better than half our total output, Thank's Schrodinger's_Outlaw. Good place, little sacrifice for good cause, reminder to keep your computer clean, little power costs to leave it on when you sleep or are away.

Come. Sign up. Get us back in the game. Whoop, whoop, whoop, er, hah, rah, rah, siss boom bah! Go Go Godless Ones. Christers are knocking our blocks off here, at Stanford Ferchrissake.

Puleez.

FDI

WooHOO! I made it to the ranking sixty!

Inside a month, I should be ranking equal to my current age!

And I just discovered that you can manipulate the proteins on the Protein Viewer!
Having a blast asking my kid, "Hey does this look like a puppy or an elephant?"
"Dad, I don't want to play this game."
"Oh, come on. Puppy or elephant?"
"Um...puppy."
"WRONG! Go clean the kitchen floor!"

I love science.

Wow! Just lots of great things happening on the team lately! Puck finally caught me, FDI and SO are screaming up the charts, and it's just nice to see us cranking out some good numbers again. No contribution is too little, folks! Also, nice to see that we'll catch those Jesus folders easily before 2015 is over now.

Keith, there actually is a "game" you can download, called Foldit, it which you actually do manipulate the proteins in order to get to an ideal form and it also helps in the cause, from what I understand. I've been too busy to give it much time, but started it once and found it kinda interesting, actually.

Welcome to the 7-digit club, Schrodinger's_Outlaw! And welcome back to member Anonymous, with a 300+ point contribution the other day.

Back
Top Bottom