• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

I love blueberries but never have much luck cooking with them other than muffins or something where you just drop them in. I made blueberry curd and it came out runny like a sauce. I've attempted traditional blueberry pie or tart recipes, straightforward, super easy, and yet came out runny or floury or not very flavorful. Last night I made blueberry filling for the Thanksgiving tarts I'm bringing on Saturday. Checked this morning to see how it set and it is floury and thickly goopy and tastes like cheap grape jelly. :/

Have I been naive all these years thinking blueberries were a fairly easy, forgiving ingredient to cook with? Give me chocolate, lemons, most other fruits, and I will knock your socks off making something out of it, but blueberries? Fuck you, lady. Good luck making anything out of us. Mwahahahaha!

You should try Scandinavian blueberries. Proper name "billberries". You'll think American blueberries taste like water after that. Taste explosion. Amaze.

I love blueberries but never have much luck cooking with them other than muffins or something where you just drop them in. I made blueberry curd and it came out runny like a sauce. I've attempted traditional blueberry pie or tart recipes, straightforward, super easy, and yet came out runny or floury or not very flavorful. Last night I made blueberry filling for the Thanksgiving tarts I'm bringing on Saturday. Checked this morning to see how it set and it is floury and thickly goopy and tastes like cheap grape jelly. :/

Have I been naive all these years thinking blueberries were a fairly easy, forgiving ingredient to cook with? Give me chocolate, lemons, most other fruits, and I will knock your socks off making something out of it, but blueberries? Fuck you, lady. Good luck making anything out of us. Mwahahahaha!

You should try Scandinavian blueberries. Proper name "billberries". You'll think American blueberries taste like water after that. Taste explosion. Amaze.

Grocery store blueberries taste like water. Wild and farmer's market blueberries taste amazing (usually).

Grocery store blueberries taste like water. Wild and farmer's market blueberries taste amazing (usually).

It's because they are different breeds. Calling them the same thing is wrong. Yet, people do. The big watery one's keep being sold because people are idiots and think bigger is better. Better to just add actual water to your cake. Tastes the same and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Billberries are a nightmare to grow though. Nobody has figured out a way to grow them commercially with any profits. Best way is to pick wild berries. And that makes them expensive. Still worth it.

It's because they are different breeds. Calling them the same thing is wrong. Yet, people do. The big watery one's keep being sold because people are idiots and think bigger is better. Better to just add actual water to your cake. Tastes the same and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Billberries are a nightmare to grow though. Nobody has figured out a way to grow them commercially with any profits. Best way is to pick wild berries. And that makes them expensive. Still worth it.

Thanks. I see that I can buy billberries online, too. I'm keeping this in mind for future cooking projects.

Thanks. I see that I can buy billberries online, too. I'm keeping this in mind for future cooking projects.

If you do, go easy on the sugar. Some sugar is needed. But it doesn't take a lot to dominate the subtle billberry flavours, and then there was no point in buying the fancy berries.

Where's that?

Sheffield restaurant called Ego, part of chain. I was doing the Monday offer of 2 courses and a bottle of house wine for £19.95. Though I ended up having dessert and a glass of dessert wine as well.

Nice. We ate in quite a few nice places while we were there. :D But not many in Sheffield as we were only there for a couple of days.

sukuma wiki, nusouth style

sukuma wiki is an east african dish. the name means 'to get through the week'. basically, when food is short, the cook goes out in the garden and picks whatever greens she can find. this is how soul and southern food came by collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, etc. after time sukuma wiki became its own things, with each cook having a special recipe.

the problem with this, for me, is that i'm not fond of southern style greens - cooked til they scream, sometimes literally (pressure cooker). i bought some kale, and went into the garden and got collards (lovely teal color) and two kinds of turnip greens (the kind that sting your hands). i cut out the big stems and shredded them with scissors, then sprayed them with spray coconut oil - yes, its a thing. turned the oven on broil and let it get hot, then put the greens in on a cookie tray for 10minutes. the result was almost magic. they got slightly crispy, even crunchy, but most of the bitter flavor burned out. i ate the hell out it, and i loathe turnip greens. seems like they would also make a great salad this way.,

Sheffield restaurant called Ego, part of chain. I was doing the Monday offer of 2 courses and a bottle of house wine for £19.95. Though I ended up having dessert and a glass of dessert wine as well.

Nice. We ate in quite a few nice places while we were there. :D But not many in Sheffield as we were only there for a couple of days.

Yes maybe going there again for birthday. Used to know a very nice restaurant mile or two out of the centre of Sheffield. It was a small terraced house originally so not many tables but very nice. But long long now.

Unknown from November 2015. I think a crispy bread base and obviously melted cheese on top, but unsure of other ingredients.

Unknown November 2015.jpg

Just made some crab puppies. Delicious. I used fake crab meat so it's probably way better with real crab. Still a great recipe and easy to make. I used this recipe.

My Chicken Catchademocrat Recipe!

Only 811kj per serve without pasta...

15284088_1789718844615319_8393962163791714312_n.jpg

15193652_1789718854615318_6040717279075204250_n.jpg

I made a basic bread pudding last night. I used to make this a lot but haven't in years and so had to look up a new recipe. Turned out perfect, better than the old recipe. A loaf of potato bread was starting to dry out so I let it dry further and made bread pudding out of it. Also I just wanted to bake something and I was down to these ingredients (grocery shopping procrastination).

Meal for birthday. I cheated with dessert though.

Pancetta and Mushroom with Egg

Birthday Starter.jpg

Mushroom, Broccoli & Stilton

Birthday Soup.jpg

Chicken with Stilton

Birthday Main Course.jpg

Birthday Dessert.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I had Russian caviar. It was alright, but nothing special. It tasted like caviar usually does.

I just ate it alone at home. I was curious. I think the most expensive meal I've had by myself.

I just made some homemade alfredo, y'all. It turned out perfect. OK, maybe not five star restaurant quality, but considering I threw it on the stove as a last minute decision, it turned out wonderful. Fresh cream helps, and real butter, and fresh garlic. I used some store brand of grated parmesan, but next time will try to remember to get ungrated and grate it straight into the heating pan of cream and butter. mmmmmmm...

I'm eating the sauce with some four cheese raviolis from the frozen section. Next best thing to fresh. NOM. this is heaven.

Back
Top Bottom