• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $778. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

Foodie Thread

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Question: I have a Calphalon fry pan similar to the pic below. Anodized and non-stick.

black-silver-calphalon-skillets-1961928-64_1000.jpg

When I make scrambled eggs, a thin layer of egg always sticks to the bottom of the pan.

I spray the pan with cooking oil, add some margarine to saute onions, peppers, ham, and sausage prior to adding the eggs. Stirring almost constantly.

Am I cooking it with too high of heat, too low.

It's a pain in the tookus to clean after, having to resort to a plastic scraper to remove the egg from the bottom of the pan.

Suggestions? Or better pan suggestions?

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Question: I have a Calphalon fry pan similar to the pic below. Anodized and non-stick.

View attachment 27348

When I make scrambled eggs, a thin layer of egg always sticks to the bottom of the pan.

I spray the pan with cooking oil, add some margarine to saute onions, peppers, ham, and sausage prior to adding the eggs. Stirring almost constantly.

It's a pain in the tookus to clean after, having to resort to a plastic scraper to remove the egg from the bottom of the pan.

Have you, at any time, put it in the dishwasher? I don’t out my non-stick anything in the dishwasher unless it says specifically. In the past I had someone put one through the dishwasher and it was never the same after that.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member

View attachment 27348

Have you, at any time, put it in the dishwasher? I don’t out my non-stick anything in the dishwasher unless it says specifically. In the past I had someone put one through the dishwasher and it was never the same after that.

Nope. I'm the dishwasher.

J842P

Veteran Member

View attachment 27348

Yes, for the love of Zeus, don't use margarine.

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Creamy Swiss Chicken Bake

swiss cheese chicken bake.jpg

I used this recipe, but had to make some modifications. My chicken was already cooked, but my rice was not, and I used yogurt instead of sour cream.

I baked the rice in the baking dish with chicken broth and the cooked chicken pieces on top, 375F for 55 mins.

Mixed the mayo, yogurt, salt, pepper, parmesan, and garlic powder, and spread the mixture on top of the cooked rice and chicken, then placed slices of Swiss cheese to cover the top. Baked another 10 mins and then 2-3 mins under the broiler.

Really delicious and easy.

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
My speciality is whatever is leftover. Kids, i can't get them to eat leftovers so it's me.

Fry pan

Leftover:
Rice
Ham
Chicken
Pasta
Potatoes
What ever.

Add some frozen corn or green beans

Throw it in. Add some sweet & sour or teriyaki or whatever sauce.

Fry it.

Dump the load in a bowl.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
So I got one of those fancy electronically controlled pressure cookers. Made a pot roast with beef broth, golden potatoes, carrots and onions, seasoned with seasoned salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic and rosemary. Took 45 minutes of cooking time which was actually about an hour and a half for time to build up the steam and time to release the pressure. It came out perfect. I love it! Removable cooking liner for easy cleaning too. Whoo hoo!

Treedbear

Veteran Member
So I got one of those fancy electronically controlled pressure cookers. Made a pot roast with beef broth, golden potatoes, carrots and onions, seasoned with seasoned salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic and rosemary. Took 45 minutes of cooking time which was actually about an hour and a half for time to build up the steam and time to release the pressure. It came out perfect. I love it! Removable cooking liner for easy cleaning too. Whoo hoo!

I've had an "Instant Pot" for about 7 years and use it a couple times a week. It makes yogurt better than you can buy and it's paid for itself many times over. The only caveat is that I had to invent an efficient method of straining it to make the thicker "Greek" style. I get 2 qts of very thick yogurt from a gallon of milk. The key is to use something called a "nut milk" straining bag instead of typical cheese cloth. The nut milk bag is made out of very fine plastic mesh and is easy to clean. I've been using the same one for 7 years and it hasn't worn out yet. Then you need some kind of plastic jugs to suspend it in so the whey can drain out over a couple hours. Yeah it requires some effort but it beats store bought hands down and costs about 1/3 the price. Aside from that I use it for pressure cooking chicken stock for soup as well as slow cooking spaghetti sauce and chili, and pressure steam cooking potatoes for mashing. The only down side is that I had to replace my original unit recently because I think I let some liquid drip onto the internal electronics. They're about half the price I paid 7 years ago but for some reason the identical model doesn't heat up as much as the original. Slow cooking takes twice the time and I have to modify the yogurt making process to make sure the milk reaches 185 F before cooling and adding the yogurt culture. BTW I use any grocery store yogurt with active cultures for the starter.

Tharmas

Veteran Member
I sometimes make a Baked French Toast casserole for brunch, and my wife and I enjoy them, although I know some are less enthusiastic. Jimmy Higgins for instance finds them too soggy. I recently tried a new recipe however, and the results are better. It’s called Orange-Maple French Toast Casserole, and the main differences are two. First it uses Brioche rather than regular bread, and second it uses all eggs (a lot)*, instead of an egg-milk mixture. It puffed up a lot, and turned out crispy around the edges and top, and the center had a spongey texture. It was definitely far less soggy than the previous recipes I’ve tried.

*I basically made a half recipe but it still took a dozen eggs.

20200503_091303_resized.jpg

T.G.G. Moogly

Formerly Joedad
It's rhubarb season around here so I made rhubarb/apple pies. The filling is 4 cups each of rhubarb and apples, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour. If you can find apples that haven't been waxed you can leave the peels on. I prefer no top crust when baking, just cover with foil. Or you can skip the crusts entirely and just make the filling in a saucepan.

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
I made bread! Not the best, but it was good. It was more like Damper than bread. The recipe calls for 12-24 hours of rising, so I might do that next time. ;)

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
I sometimes make a Baked French Toast casserole for brunch, and my wife and I enjoy them, although I know some are less enthusiastic. Jimmy Higgins for instance finds them too soggy. I recently tried a new recipe however, and the results are better. It’s called Orange-Maple French Toast Casserole, and the main differences are two. First it uses Brioche rather than regular bread, and second it uses all eggs (a lot)*, instead of an egg-milk mixture. It puffed up a lot, and turned out crispy around the edges and top, and the center had a spongey texture. It was definitely far less soggy than the previous recipes I’ve tried.

*I basically made a half recipe but it still took a dozen eggs.

View attachment 27547

Ooh, looks and sounds good. Full recipe, please.

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Take 2 in the bread making department. This time I have given the yeast some warm water and sugar first, and used warm water in the plan and self raising flour mix, so here’s hoping, it will also be 8 hours before I am baking it, so it should rise well. I am going to try and creat a ‘tear away loaf’ in practice for my friend and I when we have lunch in a few weeks. She doesn’t object to bread as it’s basically wheat ground into flour, natural yeast and water.

Tharmas

Veteran Member

Here you go:

Orange-Maple French Toast Casserole

Serves 8

Ingredients

• 1 day-old brioche loaf (about 16 ounces), cut into 1-inch pieces
• 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh orange zest (from about 2 medium oranges)
• 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 6 cups large eggs
• 2 teaspoon half-and-half
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon fine salt
• 1/4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, plus more for the baking dish
• 1 cup maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
• 3 medium oranges, peeled and cut into segments
• 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)

Instructions

1. Generously coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter. Add the bread cubes to the dish and set aside.
2. Combine the orange zest and sugar in a small bowl. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar until it's well-combined and fragrant; set aside.
3. Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then whisk in the orange sugar, half-and-half, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Evenly pour the custard over the bread. Use a spoon to push the bread down and stir so all the cubes are soaked through. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
4. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350°F. Remove the baking dish from the refrigerator and let it sit while the oven is heating.
5. Cut 2 tablespoons of the butter into small pieces, and dot them over the top of the casserole. Bake uncovered until the casserole is set, puffed, and the top is golden-brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the syrup. Combine the maple syrup, orange juice, and orange segments in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the syrup is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and remove from the heat. Once the syrup is mostly cooled, spoon the orange segments from the syrup and into a small bowl.
7. Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it cool for at least 5 minutes. Right before serving, top with the reserved orange segments and dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm with the orange-infused maple syrup.

Recipe Notes

Make ahead: The casserole can be assembled up to 1 day in advance, covered, and stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake. The orange-maple syrup can be prepared up to 1 day in advance and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator until serving. Store the orange segments in a separate container.

Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member

Your buns look delicious even upside down. :thumbsup: ;)

Thanks. For sum bum reason my iPad is turning my pics upside down. They were good too. A cross between a light bun, scone and dumpling that goes into stews. I am pleased with these.

Well, you should be. They are gorgeous. Weird that your iPad turns your pics upside down. Is there an Edit or Adjust Photo kind of function anywhere when you open your gallery or a photo? I take pics upside down with my phone sometimes by accident, but it has an Edit menu item on the photo view screen where I just rotate it right side up again.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor

Here you go:

Orange-Maple French Toast Casserole

Serves 8

Ingredients

•1 day-old brioche loaf (about 16 ounces), cut into 1-inch pieces
•2 tablespoons finely grated fresh orange zest (from about 2 medium oranges)
•3 tablespoons granulated sugar
•6 cups large eggs
•2 teaspoon half-and-half
•1 tablespoon vanilla extract
•1 teaspoon fine salt
•1/4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, plus more for the baking dish
•1 cup maple syrup
•2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
•3 medium oranges, peeled and cut into segments
•2 tablespoons powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)

Instructions

1.Generously coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter. Add the bread cubes to the dish and set aside.
2.Combine the orange zest and sugar in a small bowl. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar until it's well-combined and fragrant; set aside.
3.Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then whisk in the orange sugar, half-and-half, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Evenly pour the custard over the bread. Use a spoon to push the bread down and stir so all the cubes are soaked through. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
4.Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350°F. Remove the baking dish from the refrigerator and let it sit while the oven is heating.
5.Cut 2 tablespoons of the butter into small pieces, and dot them over the top of the casserole. Bake uncovered until the casserole is set, puffed, and the top is golden-brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
6.Meanwhile, prepare the syrup. Combine the maple syrup, orange juice, and orange segments in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the syrup is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and remove from the heat. Once the syrup is mostly cooled, spoon the orange segments from the syrup and into a small bowl.
7.Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it cool for at least 5 minutes. Right before serving, top with the reserved orange segments and dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm with the orange-infused maple syrup.

Recipe Notes

Make ahead: The casserole can be assembled up to 1 day in advance, covered, and stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake. The orange-maple syrup can be prepared up to 1 day in advance and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator until serving. Store the orange segments in a separate container.

Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days

Have you tried not letting it sit overnight, and barely sit at all?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
I wanted the mac and cheese with fake ground beef at The Melt, but it just didn’t line up so I needed to make it myself.

1/2 cup whole milk, warm up and melt 3 tbsp butter. Then added a shredded block of extra sharp Tillimook cheddar. Needed a little thickening so I added two tsp of corn starch and heated up.

Gimme Lean beef stir fried for the ground beef and I just opened a package of pasta and cooked that.

Pasta -> cheese sauce -> ground ‘beef’ -> mustard and ketchup up top... didn’t have small ruffled chips but otherwise a viable sub.

Probably needed a minute under the broiler for perfection but I was too hungry.

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Banana raisin bran bread.

banana_raisin_bran_bread.jpg

I wanted the mac and cheese with fake ground beef at The Melt, but it just didn’t line up so I needed to make it myself.

1/2 cup whole milk, warm up and melt 3 tbsp butter. Then added a shredded block of extra sharp Tillimook cheddar. Needed a little thickening so I added two tsp of corn starch and heated up.

Gimme Lean beef stir fried for the ground beef and I just opened a package of pasta and cooked that.

Pasta -> cheese sauce -> ground ‘beef’ -> mustard and ketchup up top... didn’t have small ruffled chips but otherwise a viable sub.

Probably needed a minute under the broiler for perfection but I was too hungry.

My god that sounds tasty.

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Thanks. For sum bum reason my iPad is turning my pics upside down. They were good too. A cross between a light bun, scone and dumpling that goes into stews. I am pleased with these.

Well, you should be. They are gorgeous. Weird that your iPad turns your pics upside down. Is there an Edit or Adjust Photo kind of function anywhere when you open your gallery or a photo? I take pics upside down with my phone sometimes by accident, but it has an Edit menu item on the photo view screen where I just rotate it right side up again.

It looks fine on my iPad and changed any settings, and they appear ok on Facebook, so go figure.

Tharmas

Veteran Member
Made a grits soufflé for brunch this morning. What are grits? Grits is grits, as they say down south. Here you go:  grits.

The grits seem to weigh down the soufflé so it doesn’t rise or get as fluffy as a traditional soufflé, but it ended up with a good texture. A few dashes of Tabasco sauce added a bit of flavor and bite.

A very Southern Mothers’ Day breakfast for the very Southern Ms. Tharmas (7th generation Texan).

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
b6cdc0a5e1ffb3022116a45bc9f417b6.jpg

Vegan beefy burger. Recipes usually need adjustments, this seemed awesome out of the gate. This said salt and pepper. I didn’t add either and didn’t have onion powder.

These were close to beyond meat burgers, ie awesome for a vegan burger. I Fried these. I think these would be better grilled.

rousseau

Contributor
I had my first stint with cooking duck breast yesterday. When we bought it, frozen and vacuum sealed, a few months ago from a specialty store the owner told us to sear then bake it. Unfortunately I couldn't remember her instructions and could only find a recipe with searing and no baking.

I pre-heated a cast iron pan to cook it, and couldn't have imagined how oily it'd get. For a while I was afraid I was going to end up with a severe burn the way oil was splashing around. It ended up turning out ok, but we went way off the directions and had to attend to it the whole time. I get the impression our choice of pan made a big difference with the way it retained heat.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
I made steak and chicken fajitas with sweet onion and red bell pepper for lunch today. Yummy!

Almost lost them though. My wife wanted to boil some potatoes and turned the burner under the fajita mixture on instead of the burner under the potatoes. Luckily I caught it.

Oh

And the 12 piece set of new T-Fal cookware I bought off of eBay arrived today. Whoo hoo!

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
A long heat wave and new meds that make me sweat like crazy have me eating only cold foods for a while. Today's recipe is a bean salad inspired by two or three recipes I found online.

brown rice
chick peas
kidney beans
black beans
corn and peas (thawed from frozen)
minced garlic
diced onion
diced fresh tomato, might use canned next time to see how I like it
olive oil
lime juice
a tiny bit of taco seasonings, just wanted a hint, not a full on Mexican flavored dish.
Mrs. Dash garlic and herb
oregano
salt and pepper

I think that's it. Roughly 3/4 to 1 c of each of the beans and the peas/corn combined, 1.5 c rice, 1/2 c diced onion, 1/4 c minced garlic, two small tomatoes, juice of one lime, probably about 1/3 c of olive oil. (I put that shit on everything. :D) I don't know how much seasonings, just "to taste."

So good. :)

Now I want to find a cold salad recipe with walnuts and cranberries.

fromderinside

Mazzie Daius
Oh

And the 12 piece set of new T-Fal cookware I bought off of eBay arrived today. Whoo hoo!

I have fond memories as newlyweds shopping at Akron.

We're retired now, about eighty, and part of All-Clad Nation at Sur la Table.

Yes it does taste better when prepared in the good stuff. For instance Ratatouille is much better when made in Le Creuset with Balsamic, Le Crema, virgin Olive oil, calamatta, mini peppers, zucchini, egg plant, fresh tomatoes, onions, bay leaves, garlic, oregano, pinches of S and P, popping the egg in last to finish the dish. All served with La Brea toast chunks in a handled soup bowl, accompanied with espresso ruined with cream and sugar to taste in bed facing views of lake and ocean beyond. Ooh la la.

After a while one needs it all.

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
I want to make this King Alfred Oat Cakes recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhSj_VMjmUA

MODERN RECIPE
INGREDIENTS
250g oats
½ Cup Oat Flour (46g)
1 ½ sticks (170g) butter melted
50g dried fruit chopped (apples, apricots, cherries)
6 tablespoons (126g) honey
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

METHOD
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C OR Set a skillet or frying pan over medium high heat. Cooking these on a skillet is closer to the way the Anglo-Saxons would have done it, but it is considerably more difficult.
2. Add the oats, dried fruit, cinnamon, and salt to a medium bowl and mix well. Then mix in the honey and the butter. Once fully incorporated, add the oat flour and mix to combine.
3. With your hands, form small flat patties fairly thin and about 3 inches across and set them on a lined baking sheet (or on a plate if you are using a skillet.)
4. If you are baking the cakes, bake in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes, or until they start to darken around the edges. Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
OR
5. If you are using a skillet or frying pan, gently place several cakes onto the pan. Leave them for 1 - 1½ min, then using a spatula, flip the cakes gently so they do not break, and cook for another 1 minute. The cakes should be browned (possibly slightly scorched) on both sides. Then set them on a wire rack to cool. Repeat until all the cakes are cooked.

I will probably add an egg to the recipe for binding and because eggs magically make food better most of the time.

T.G.G. Moogly

Formerly Joedad

MODERN RECIPE
INGREDIENTS
250g oats
½ Cup Oat Flour (46g)
½ teaspoon salt

METHOD
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C OR Set a skillet or frying pan over medium high heat. Cooking these on a skillet is closer to the way the Anglo-Saxons would have done it, but it is considerably more difficult.
2. Add the oats, dried fruit, cinnamon, and salt to a medium bowl and mix well. Then mix in the honey and the butter. Once fully incorporated, add the oat flour and mix to combine.
3. With your hands, form small flat patties fairly thin and about 3 inches across and set them on a lined baking sheet (or on a plate if you are using a skillet.)
4. If you are baking the cakes, bake in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes, or until they start to darken around the edges. Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
OR
5. If you are using a skillet or frying pan, gently place several cakes onto the pan. Leave them for 1 - 1½ min, then using a spatula, flip the cakes gently so they do not break, and cook for another 1 minute. The cakes should be browned (possibly slightly scorched) on both sides. Then set them on a wire rack to cool. Repeat until all the cakes are cooked.

I will probably add an egg to the recipe for binding and because eggs magically make food better most of the time.

Maybe a drizzle of rum too after cooking....

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member

MODERN RECIPE
INGREDIENTS
250g oats
½ Cup Oat Flour (46g)
½ teaspoon salt

METHOD
OR

Maybe a drizzle of rum to after cooking....

That does sound good.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Mother-in-law's b-day, so I continue with my journey of the S'mores cake turn s'mores cupcake.

Use cupcake paper. Put graham cracker crust recipe at base... bake for about 5 to 6 minutes. Then let it cool while making the flourless fudge cake batter. Add that. Bake until what... 200ish degrees (F :D)? That seemed about 20 to 25 minutes of baking, generally it appears most of the top is set, maybe a little wobble in the middle. FYI, these were large muffin tins (6 per pan). If going with regular cupcakes, the cooking time would be shorter, but I recommend the large muffin tin.

Then right before serving, place cut in half marshmallows on top. Now I'm still working on this. I think you need to bake at 300ish degrees for a short period of time, then set to broil to brown it (KEEP YOUR EYES ON IT!!!). You need to bake it a little first because the broil won't soften the marshmallows enough. I was pondering next to make marshmallow myself, and cover the whole thing with it... and broil. Presume it'd be softer and broil and cook through quicker.

131062616_10221365738707083_8979208209695044613_o.jpg

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Looks awesome.
I guess I did it wrong... I would just cook the chicken breast, then add the sauce and cheese. That looks much better, and probably tastes better too.

The bottom is linguini noodles and sauce, then chicken and more sauce, all hot and cooked. Then the mozzarella. Then it goes in the oven under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese.

The sauce is just store bought jar but I add parmesan, romano and a little cheddar, chopped red onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms, and lots of Italian seasoning and garlic, four cloves. Both my wife and I love garlic.

Wiploc

Veteran Member
The sauce is just store bought jar but I add parmesan, romano and a little cheddar, chopped red onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms, and lots of Italian seasoning and garlic, four cloves. Both my wife and I love garlic.

That is no longer "just" store bought sauce.

Top Bottom