• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

Trying to decide if I will make this again for Christmas Day or not...

It's French Toast Bake. One serve is our usual kilojoule allowance for the day! However, it is oh so yummy and Christmassy. :D

french toast bake.jpg

That looks amazing, G. I love those kinds of dishes, bread puddings and such. Do you guys call it bread pudding or bread and butter pudding? It's the same thing, only recipes that say "bread pudding" don't call for buttering the bread slices first. We just put pats of butter as the top layer. That's the only difference I see.

I'm now eating a bowl of stew that I threw together earlier. I wanted to use up some vegetables before they went bad, so I stewed up carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, and cabbage. I added a pound of cooked ground beef, garlic, canned tomatoes, and some seasonings.

I noticed that some of our millions of seasonings in the kitchen were dusty on top and a couple had smelled like nothing when I took a sniff. So I made a mental note to purge the old seasonings later and meanwhile I'd just use the seasonings that were not dusty on top, which turned out to be salt, black pepper, basil, and a blend made for beef. I also threw in five or six beef bullion cubes.

That looks amazing, G. I love those kinds of dishes, bread puddings and such. Do you guys call it bread pudding or bread and butter pudding? It's the same thing, only recipes that say "bread pudding" don't call for buttering the bread slices first. We just put pats of butter as the top layer. That's the only difference I see.

I'm now eating a bowl of stew that I threw together earlier. I wanted to use up some vegetables before they went bad, so I stewed up carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, and cabbage. I added a pound of cooked ground beef, garlic, canned tomatoes, and some seasonings.

I noticed that some of our millions of seasonings in the kitchen were dusty on top and a couple had smelled like nothing when I took a sniff. So I made a mental note to purge the old seasonings later and meanwhile I'd just use the seasonings that were not dusty on top, which turned out to be salt, black pepper, basil, and a blend made for beef. I also threw in five or six beef bullion cubes.

Nice. Yes, we still call it Bread Pudding. We don't have it as much anymore though - due to it being calorific.

I am still making my Trifle this year though. :D

Nice. Yes, we still call it Bread Pudding. We don't have it as much anymore though - due to it being calorific.

NOM!

NOM!

My Trifle takes at least 3 days to make. I start with Sponge Fingers, or sponge cake, and make up the first jelly with some alcohol - usually port. :D I pour this over the sponge fingers which are laid in the bottom of the bowl. The sponge soaks up the jelly goodness. I then put a layer of fruit on the top - usually tinned pear, peach or apricot slices. As each layer sets, I make up and add the next jelly to the list. The last jelly is usually a milk jelly made with water and carnation evaporated milk whisked together. It is then topped with whipped cream, glace cherries and sometimes fresh strawberries or kiwi fruits. :D

It is served with cold custard or icecream or more cream.

Very calorific, but ohhh so yummy!!!!

My Trifle takes at least 3 days to make. I start with Sponge Fingers, or sponge cake, and make up the first jelly with some alcohol - usually port. :D I pour this over the sponge fingers which are laid in the bottom of the bowl. The sponge soaks up the jelly goodness. I then put a layer of fruit on the top - usually tinned pear, peach or apricot slices. As each layer sets, I make up and add the next jelly to the list. The last jelly is usually a milk jelly made with water and carnation evaporated milk whisked together. It is then topped with whipped cream, glace cherries and sometimes fresh strawberries or kiwi fruits. :D

OOOH can you give me your recipe or point me to it online?

OOOH can you give me your recipe or point me to it online?

ummm - that IS the recipe.. :D

ummm - that IS the recipe.. :D

Ah, gotcha. Next time I try a new dessert recipe, I'll try this one.

How about I post the stages each day and you can follow it.

Here is stage one - the biscuits are laid out, and the port wine jelly - complete with about 100mls of port, has been poured over them individually at first then over the lot. Then I broke up some more of the sponge biscuits and put them half up the wall waiting for further jelly. Then I laid a large can of sliced peaches over the sponge waiting for the jelly also. I will do the next layer tomorrow.

15578452_10209757428351043_6278466301189374160_n.jpg

This is how my mum taught me to make trifle.

Back
Top Bottom