• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

Happy discovery.

You know that Chinese spicy black bean paste used for making mapotofu?

Turns out it tastes real good in baked beans along with minced pepperoncini.

59Jcn3Tgsb5Rwd859

I have a new favorite way to enjoy a Chicago specialty called Italian beef (a sandwich).

Order with a side salad instead of fries. Order the sandwich wet with extra hot peppers (giardiniera). Eat the sandwich directly above the salad, letting all the juices and other junk fall onto the salad. Eat salad.

- - - Updated - - -

https://goo.gl/photos/59Jcn3Tgsb5Rwd859

Ugh. Does the above link work?

59Jcn3Tgsb5Rwd859

I have a new favorite way to enjoy a Chicago specialty called Italian beef (a sandwich).

Order with a side salad instead of fries. Order the sandwich wet with extra hot peppers (giardiniera). Eat the sandwich directly above the salad, letting all the juices and other junk fall onto the salad. Eat salad.

- - - Updated - - -

You just solved my hot Zep problem. I just finished a hot Zep within the last hour after not having eaten one in years. I get the dressing on the side, but it's still a huge mess. I sat here just like last time and the time before and let the dressing drip onto the foil where it gets thrown away if it doesn't get spilled into my lap first. Too bad I didn't read this before eating it, but next time, salad. Thanks!

59Jcn3Tgsb5Rwd859

- - - Updated - - -

You just solved my hot Zep problem. I just finished a hot Zep within the last hour after not having eaten one in years. I get the dressing on the side, but it's still a huge mess. I sat here just like last time and the time before and let the dressing drip onto the foil where it gets thrown away if it doesn't get spilled into my lap first. Too bad I didn't read this before eating it, but next time, salad. Thanks!

What's a Zep?

http://eleq31whb2-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Portillo’s-Family-Recipe.jpg

This is an Italian beef "with hot peppers" (Chicago style giardiniera). "Wet" means the bread has been dipped in the same au jus that the beef was cooked in.

What's a Zep?

It's a dirigible aircraft that uses Hydrogen gas cells in a rigid iron frame to achieve neutral buoyancy; Named after the German Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin, who pioneered this type of transportation, the abbreviation 'Zep' was widely adopted in the UK during World War I, when they were used in bombing raids by the Germans against English mainland targets.

I couldn't eat a whole one; And would not recommend making one too hot, as they were notoriously combustible.

What's a Zep?

It's a dirigible aircraft that uses Hydrogen gas cells in a rigid iron frame to achieve neutral buoyancy; Named after the German Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin, who pioneered this type of transportation, the abbreviation 'Zep' was widely adopted in the UK during World War I, when they were used in bombing raids by the Germans against English mainland targets.

I couldn't eat a whole one; And would not recommend making one too hot, as they were notoriously combustible.

Yes, but what about eating one on top of a salad?

What's a Zep?

http://eleq31whb2-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Portillo’s-Family-Recipe.jpg

This is an Italian beef "with hot peppers" (Chicago style giardiniera). "Wet" means the bread has been dipped in the same au jus that the beef was cooked in.

At Joe's, a Zep is a hoagie with ham, salami, and provolone, with tomato, mayo, banana peppers, onions, and Italian dressing. Food of the gods. Actually, no, food of ordinary people that's as good as the gods' foods.

What's a Zep?

At Joe's, a Zep is a hoagie with ham, salami, and provolone, with tomato, mayo, banana peppers, onions, and Italian dressing. Food of the gods. Actually, no, food of ordinary people that's as good as the gods' foods.

Ah, so it's a kind of sub.

There's a hole in the wall greasy spoon in the far north side of Chicago that I always have trouble finding. They make bulgogi subs. For me, no other sub or hoagie ever came close.

Last edited:
I haven't made bulgogi at home for a while, but bulgogi led to other weirdness.

When I make it, I'll put out all the stuff so people can make lettuce wraps out of it, and two dipping sauces are obligatory: one with just gochujang (I pronounce it more like kochuzhon, but whatever) the other with a deep, dark sesame oil with sea salt.

I've taken such a shine to those sauces, that I've started mixing them together and shmearing the whole refuses-to-mix mess on other stuff, like plain white rice, on bagels, sandwiches, and the ultimate abomination, as a dipping sauce for supermarket sushi (which is already an abomination, so shut up). It seems to work best with stupid Americanized maki, the kind that has too many ingredients.

A throwback to breakfasts in winter as a kid. Cereals with hot milk - Usually cornflakes as a kid, hence the name flakes with hot.

Flakes with Hot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom