• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

So, has anyone here tried 'Bulletproof Coffee'?
For those who may not have heard about this, here is a primer.

http://www.endofthreefitness.com/how-to-make-bulletproof-coffee-and-become-a-better-human/

bpcoffee2.jpg

Rabbits are a feral pest here, various methods have been used over the years to try to reduce rabbit numbers. Nobody complained about the killing of millions of rabbits except for profession shooters and the meat market they supplied.

Home made chicken curry,

the chicken thigh fillets were chopped and marinaded in my own curry mixture for about 18 hours before being slow cooked with vegetables on the stove top for a good 6 hours. Could have done it in the slow cooker, but chose to use the stove top to cook it as then I could control the heat etc.

We ate it with fluffy white rice.

10641230_10203775355722966_7605976011563367200_n.jpg

I guess this would be a good place to post the Haggis, Neeps, and Tatties I had in Toronto a few weekends ago:

10513431_10152307847457194_5886239746016939012_n.jpg

I see you paired your haggis with one of Scotland's finest Wee Heavy Ales. Good choice. Was this at the Caledonian in Toronto?

Speaking of delicious Scottish food, in our trip there in 2005 we found wild venison on every other menu. I knew Scotland for lamb and mutton, but not venison. Locals told us that deer population has exploded over the past several decades due to consistently mild winters. Global Warming is delicious.

I make a darn good pizza. I usually use grilled and marinated capsicum, sun dried tomatoes etc, but went basic today.

I am loving having an oven that WORKS!!

10599206_10203786966133219_3545089059003790930_n.jpg

Does anyone else have some good combinations for pizza toppings?

Homemade tomato sauce (with onions, olive oil, thyme, rosemary, and garlic), and anchovies or mozzarella.
Oh, a some olives, of course.
That's all you need.

Now, if you want to get fancy, I like "3 cheeses" (mozzarella, goat cheese, and blue cheese on the same tomato sauce).

Homemade tomato sauce (with onions, olive oil, thyme, rosemary, and garlic), and anchovies or mozzarella.
Oh, a some olives, of course.
That's all you need.

Now, if you want to get fancy, I like "3 cheeses" (mozzarella, goat cheese, and blue cheese on the same tomato sauce).

Sounds good. As I said, I like marinated capsicum, sundried tomatoes and bacon on mine. Making my own pizza sauce? next on my list of things to create from scratch. :)

Today's culinary effort is a basic beef stew actually. We have to go out later so it is slow cooking till lunch time, at which point I will turn it off (allowing the flavours to melt and the sauce to settle, before finishing it off this afternoon.

I guess this would be a good place to post the Haggis, Neeps, and Tatties I had in Toronto a few weekends ago:

10513431_10152307847457194_5886239746016939012_n.jpg

I see you paired your haggis with one of Scotland's finest Wee Heavy Ales. Good choice. Was this at the Caledonian in Toronto?

Speaking of delicious Scottish food, in our trip there in 2005 we found wild venison on every other menu. I knew Scotland for lamb and mutton, but not venison. Locals told us that deer population has exploded over the past several decades due to consistently mild winters. Global Warming is delicious.

Indeed, The Caledonian.

It was funny because my girlfriend and I wanted a nice night out but got so tired of looking through the menus of different places in the city that we eventually just picked a name out of a hat and chose The Caledonian. Turned out that it was an excellent choice, though: great food, great beer, great patio, mind-blowing sticky toffee pudding.

I got lucky with the beer. I had never tried or heard of it before, and only after ignoring the suggestion of my waitress did I decide on the 'expensive' one.

Sounds good. As I said, I like marinated capsicum, sundried tomatoes and bacon on mine. Making my own pizza sauce? next on my list of things to create from scratch. :)

Today's culinary effort is a basic beef stew actually. We have to go out later so it is slow cooking till lunch time, at which point I will turn it off (allowing the flavours to melt and the sauce to settle, before finishing it off this afternoon.

Smells good.

Homemade tomato sauce isn't that difficult to make, you just need time to let the onions cook at slow heat before adding the rest. Apart from that, the most difficult is preparing (peeling!) the tomatoes. I cheat by using peeled tomatoes cans, and adding just a couple of fresh ones to liven the taste (and because they're few enough, no need to peel them).

I use it with pasta usually, I don't know how to make pizza with my electric oven. One day, I'll get a real (wood-fueled) pizza oven to put in the summer kitchen, then I'll remember your topping idea.

Smells good.

Homemade tomato sauce isn't that difficult to make, you just need time to let the onions cook at slow heat before adding the rest. Apart from that, the most difficult is preparing (peeling!) the tomatoes. I cheat by using peeled tomatoes cans, and adding just a couple of fresh ones to liven the taste (and because they're few enough, no need to peel them).

I use it with pasta usually, I don't know how to make pizza with my electric oven. One day, I'll get a real (wood-fueled) pizza oven to put in the summer kitchen, then I'll remember your topping idea.

Thanks, I will try and make my own tomatoe sauce and will freeze that which I don't use.

We now have an electric fan forced oven that cooks food beautifully. We have discovered the joys of crisp based pizza (lunch yesterday) and perfectly crackled roast pork belly. I also did a 3 1/2 kg leg of lamb last weekend that came out perfectly as well.

I just had the kitchen renovated so finally have decent cooking equipment, which is helping me to be a better cook/chef.

The stew tonight was practically perfect. The vegetables were soft but still intact, the meat was tender and flavourful, the gravy thick rich and tasty.

I've been stretching out on my bread making. Pretty much I only made corn bread or whole wheat bread, made a portugese corn bread and something called grant loaf (oh goodness was bad!). I made a nice white bread, and have tried a sunflower seven grain bread and a pumpernickel and I can't get the buggers to rise worth a darn.

I did a little research online, and one article noted that you need about 50% more water when dealing with whole grains. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this. I typically start with the Betty Crocker recipe. They are usually good and maybe I'm just getting unlucky with the yeast, but I made the white bread the day before and that rose just fine.

Back
Top Bottom