• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

A new cocktail that is sweeping Australia. It is called the Unicorn
26195967_1322768477869778_3621004438033235595_n.jpg

26903817_1336069849872974_5911481373332059538_n.jpg

A new cocktail that is sweeping Australia. It is called the Unicorn
26195967_1322768477869778_3621004438033235595_n.jpg

26903817_1336069849872974_5911481373332059538_n.jpg

Wow, that has to be one of the most ill-considered garnishes ever.

- - - Updated - - -

I googled "drink chickpea water" because I like to drink the canned chickpea water after making hummus and wanted to make sure that was ok to do healthwise. Sorry if that grosses anyone out, but I love the stuff. Just have to not breathe through my nose as I sip.

Anyway, in my google travels, I found this marvel: Vegan meringues and lemon curd

Meringues and lemon curd are my specialties! And I can't wait to try it with bean water instead of eggs. I'm not vegan and am not looking to remove eggs from my diet (that's just crazy talk), but I'm so intrigued by this!

:joy:

I'll post an update with pics when I make them.

I recently stumbled upon a whipped cream recipe. Apparently you can make the "bean water" yourself in a pressure cooker.

I googled "drink chickpea water" because I like to drink the canned chickpea water after making hummus and wanted to make sure that was ok to do healthwise. Sorry if that grosses anyone out, but I love the stuff. Just have to not breathe through my nose as I sip.

Anyway, in my google travels, I found this marvel: Vegan meringues and lemon curd

Meringues and lemon curd are my specialties! And I can't wait to try it with bean water instead of eggs. I'm not vegan and am not looking to remove eggs from my diet (that's just crazy talk), but I'm so intrigued by this!

I recently stumbled upon a whipped cream recipe. Apparently you can make the "bean water" yourself in a pressure cooker.

Yep, or even just boiled on the stove. If you're salt-conscious, that's better than canned, too.

Yep, or even just boiled on the stove. If you're salt-conscious, that's better than canned, too.

If your intent is to make whipped cream or meringue or curd, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want the extra salt (or would want to have more control over how much salt is in there).

If your intent is to make whipped cream or meringue or curd, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want the extra salt (or would want to have more control over how much salt is in there).

According to all the people who have made stuff with it, the canned water is just fine in all those things. With curd, my main concern is the delicate balance of textures. It should be *both* gooey and gelatinous. You should see it split when you press a spoon on the cooled curd like with custard, but it should also stick to the spoon when you dip it in and lift it out again, like jelly. At least, that's what I look for in my lemon curd.

So replacing those eggs with bean water will be interesting. I'll post when I make some. :)

should try soaking dried chickpeas overnight, rinsing, and then using those for hummus. The sodium in canned is terrible... as is the gas. Freshly soaked beans produce far less gas. They also make a far smoother textured hummus. AND buying dried peas in bulk is way cheaper. Highly recommend..

should try soaking dried chickpeas overnight, rinsing, and then using those for hummus. The sodium in canned is terrible... as is the gas. Freshly soaked beans produce far less gas. They also make a far smoother textured hummus. AND buying dried peas in bulk is way cheaper. Highly recommend..

Thanks. A chef on youtube suggested the same and I will definitely do that. But I'll still use canned as well for convenience and speed. I don't have hypertension but at my age and fitness level, I don't want to play with fire so I'm always thinking about stuff like that in food choices.

Now making some aquafaba meringues. They're in the oven. So far, I can say that the bean smell does not disappear when you add sugar, lemon juice, or vanilla into the whipped aquafaba. Maybe after baking/curing the smell will be gone. The taste of the raw meringue is better than the smell, almost like egg meringues but still just a touch of the bean flavor. One good thing, though, is that if you're tempted to eat the raw meringue, you totally can do that without worry, which of course I just did. :D I'll add an update once they're done in the oven.

I'm going to experiment more, but I'm not so excited about the aquafaba meringue recipe. I think the best use is for cakes or really anything other than meringue. I'll make the lemon curd next week and probably chocolate cake, too.

UPDATE. They taste like chickpea flavored meringues. :brood: I'm still going to try again with freshly made aquafaba instead of canned, and use more lemon juice.

UPDATE 2: I put them back in the oven for a while to make sure they were completely done and dry. Then after cooling, the beany smell wasn't quite as strong.

Also, listening to this while eating them makes them taste a lot better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvBJtLY15rA

Last edited:
Humus !

DaHumus.JPG

Fresh chickpeas, lemon juice, kosher salt, pepper, virgin olive oil, paprika, roasted pine seeds.
And Garlic !
Finish with a good Tahini, creamy and smooth.

Eat hot on pitta bread, drink a fresh bordeaux with it.

Bliss

Guacamole, humus and pesto are the must one should make themselves.
Simple ingredients, unbelievable taste.

Looks amazing, Cycad. I love homemade hummus. In fact, today I just made some chickpea salad because I had some chickpeas to use up after the aquafaba experiment but have made hummus so much lately that I'm actually tired of it. Probably not for long because I do love it, but today's recipe was chickpea salad sandwich, and it is delicious!

Humus !

View attachment 14454

Fresh chickpeas, lemon juice, kosher salt, pepper, virgin olive oil, paprika, roasted pine seeds.
And Garlic !
Finish with a good Tahini, creamy and smooth.

Eat hot on pitta bread, drink a fresh bordeaux with it.

Bliss

Guacamole, humus and pesto are the must one should make themselves.
Simple ingredients, unbelievable taste.

pine nuts, ey? I'll have to try that my next batch.

Have you ever tried basil in it? Nice variation... the herb actually imparts almost a buttery flavor... like putting dill on popcorn.

The more basil the less paprika, in my opinion... go Mediterranean or not... :)

Trying something new tonight.

I normally steam some carrot, potato and zucchini and then lightly sauté hem with fresh cabbage, tomatoes, capsicum and mushrooms.

Tonight I am baking a mixture of carrot, pumpkin, potato and zucchini and will sauté those instead. I hope it comes out ok.

I normally steam some carrot, potato and zucchini and then lightly sauté hem with fresh cabbage, tomatoes, capsicum and mushrooms.

Tonight I am baking a mixture of carrot, pumpkin, potato and zucchini and will sauté those instead. I hope it comes out ok.

I must envy you have time for cooking tonight.

In my case, busy doing my tasks plus installing a wire for internet causes me going to the market store and buy a broiled chicken and I also bought a white can Zero Monster drink. No one home until later, so I took half of the chicken, spread lots of apple sauce in a bowl, took a yogurt with dry fruit, and what a dinner! My new taste is broiled chicken with apple sauce.

Bad thing is I feel hungry again, right after 3 hours... I better find a piece of wood and chew it for a while....

I must envy you have time for cooking tonight.

In my case, busy doing my tasks plus installing a wire for internet causes me going to the market store and buy a broiled chicken and I also bought a white can Zero Monster drink. No one home until later, so I took half of the chicken, spread lots of apple sauce in a bowl, took a yogurt with dry fruit, and what a dinner! My new taste is broiled chicken with apple sauce.

Bad thing is I feel hungry again, right after 3 hours... I better find a piece of wood and chew it for a while....
Today was the first time in nearly a week that I have cooked though.

pine nuts, ey? I'll have to try that my next batch.

Have you ever tried basil in it? Nice variation... the herb actually imparts almost a buttery flavor... like putting dill on popcorn.

The more basil the less paprika, in my opinion... go Mediterranean or not... :)

Never tried and never eaten it with Basil. Sounds like heresy to me. :)

Humus doesnt have a complex taste combination. Its the simplicity and the perfect marriage of the few ingriedents that make it a world topper. The pine seeds (or walnut, hazel etc) blend with the tahini (sesame seeds) taste. They actually enhance it.

I will try next time with fresh grounded basil (from the pestle)

PS
You better dont mention basil in hummus in Lebanon or Telaviv. People might go looking for pitchforks and hot tar.

I have been craving rice of late, so today I made fried rice.

Scrambled egg, sliced ham, chopped spring onions, a can of mixed veg, a touch of chilli oil and cooked rice!

Yummy.

AD73FBE1-B868-47FB-BC19-5103045DBAC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom