• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

Just looked it up, there's a Hong Kong variant that uses soy sauce and ketchup, but ketchup without soy sauce is Japanese as far as I can tell.

And the way I always had it, the rice comes out looking pink with bits of char here and there.

Eww.
I think I will stick to my version.

Since I'm half Japanese, there's quite a few food items that hit my nostalgia button that would probably gross out people who are not Japanese. This is far from the strangest. :D

Sometimes, I will put raw egg and soy sauce on rice and stir it up with chopsticks until it's all stringy and gooey. I try to only do it with extra fresh eggs and only on the first day I bring the eggs home, but one of these days I'm probably going to get salmonella or something from eating that.

Just looked it up, there's a Hong Kong variant that uses soy sauce and ketchup, but ketchup without soy sauce is Japanese as far as I can tell.

And the way I always had it, the rice comes out looking pink with bits of char here and there.

Eww.

Since I'm half Japanese, there's quite a few food items that hit my nostalgia button that would probably gross out people who are not Japanese. This is far from the strangest. :D

Sometimes, I will put raw egg and soy sauce on rice and stir it up with chopsticks until it's all stringy and gooey. I try to only do it with extra fresh eggs and only on the first day I bring the eggs home, but one of these days I'm probably going to get salmonella or something from eating that.

You can't mix foods like that, it's cultural appropriation![/conservoprogressive]

They look awesome. Recipe?

Dough was a basic 3-2-1 pie crust: 3 parts flour, 2 parts fat (I used butter), 1 part water, by weight, with some salt. I substituted an egg for some of the water, and used 18 oz of flour. Incorporate the flour into the fat, mixing until you get pea-sized crumbs, then mix in the water/egg until it just comes together (don't over-mix). Refrigerate for at least an hour, then roll out and cut into circles.

Filling was 1.5 lbs ground beef, onion, garlic, celery, hot peppers, and tomatoes, plus whatever spices you want (I used salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, cayenne, oregano, thyme, mustard, ginger). Saute until everything is soft and the beef is cooked, then drain and cool.

Egg wash was an egg plus a little milk, whisked together with a pinch of salt. Put a scoop of filling on each round of dough, wet the edge with the wash and crimp shut. Put on the baking sheet and egg wash the outside. Bake at 400F until golden.

I made 10, and can't stop eating them. Might need another batch. :D

A honey-brown and amber ale, followed by an Elk steak, followed by a coffee brewed from freshly roasted Brazilian beans.

Not a bad Saturday afternoon/early evening.

Eww.

I sometimes make a chicken and corn soup that I will put a raw whisked egg through and it comes out yummy and only a touch creamy. It’s a good warming winter soup that takes minutes to make, if you have a bbq chicken, a bit longer if you have to cook the chicken breast first.

I miss making this. Hopefully the weather here will cool down enough for me to make some.

Last edited:
They look awesome. Recipe?

Dough was a basic 3-2-1 pie crust: 3 parts flour, 2 parts fat (I used butter), 1 part water, by weight, with some salt. I substituted an egg for some of the water, and used 18 oz of flour. Incorporate the flour into the fat, mixing until you get pea-sized crumbs, then mix in the water/egg until it just comes together (don't over-mix). Refrigerate for at least an hour, then roll out and cut into circles.

Filling was 1.5 lbs ground beef, onion, garlic, celery, hot peppers, and tomatoes, plus whatever spices you want (I used salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, cayenne, oregano, thyme, mustard, ginger). Saute until everything is soft and the beef is cooked, then drain and cool.

Egg wash was an egg plus a little milk, whisked together with a pinch of salt. Put a scoop of filling on each round of dough, wet the edge with the wash and crimp shut. Put on the baking sheet and egg wash the outside. Bake at 400F until golden.

I made 10, and can't stop eating them. Might need another batch. :D

Could you make bulk meat mix and pastry and freeze them in portion sizes for easy meals later?

Could you make bulk meat mix and pastry and freeze them in portion sizes for easy meals later?

Very easily, it all freezes really well if sealed tightly. You can even freeze them already formed (pre or post bake) for a quick prep meal, just wrap them so they don't stick together. The filling is already cooked, so all you really need to do is to finish the crust and warm it through.

I may or may not have eaten an embarrassing number of them in the last day and change...

About twice a month, I buy a cabbage and make soup out of 3/4 of it and coleslaw out of 1/4. Today's soup is meatball.

meatball_soup.jpg coleslaw.jpg

abc.jpg

About twice a month, I buy a cabbage and make soup out of 3/4 of it and coleslaw out of 1/4. Today's soup is meatball.

View attachment 15091 View attachment 15092

A small amount of diced or minced pickles can perk up homemade cole slaw. Kosher dill, sweet relish, pickled carrots, takuan, fukujinzuke, pickled hot peppers, kimchi, or even a tiny amount of diced giardiniera.

A small amount of diced or minced pickles can perk up homemade cole slaw. Kosher dill, sweet relish, pickled carrots, takuan, fukujinzuke, pickled hot peppers, kimchi, or even a tiny amount of diced giardiniera.
I have some dill pickle relish that I considered adding to the slaw but didn't want to potentially ruin a flavor that I already love as it is. I might experiment next time.

I have some dill pickle relish that I considered adding to the slaw but didn't want to potentially ruin a flavor that I already love as it is. I might experiment next time.

Really spicy stuff like pickled Serrano peppers ("sport peppers" in Chicago), pickled jalapeno, giardiniera, or kimchi should be used in very small amounts or you risk overpowering all the other flavors.

Made yakisoba yesterday for my brother and forgot to take pix.

• Soba noodles
  • Yakisoba sauce (can substitute tonkatsu [usually Bulldog brand] sauce, I actually used okonomi sauce)
  • Fresh garlic
  • Fresh ginger
  • Thinly sliced beef (I bought beef intended for bulgogi)
  • Sliced green onion (keep white part and green part separate)
  • Cabbage sliced thin like you would in cole slaw
  • Carrot cut into shreds/slivers
  • (optional) sliced fresh shiitake
  • (optional) diced eggplant

The pile of cabbage should be large, as large or slightly larger than your pile of cooked soba noodles. Don't worry, the cabbage will cook down. All other ingredients should be in fairly small amounts relative to everything else.

If you are cooking dried soba, undercook it so that it's a little bit dry. The drier it is, the easier it will be to get a crunchy crust on the griddle.

Garnish

You can make this without the garnishes, but it's sooooooo much better with.

You can make this in a wok if you have a wok burner on your range, but honestly a really hot flat-top griddle works as well or better. Cast iron can also be used (get it real hot first).

Brown the meat, then add garlic/ginger.

Add the white part of the green onions, carrots, stir for a bit, then add mushrooms and eggplant.

Add cabbage and stir at high heat until the cabbage cooks down.

Add noodles and stir. Keep the wok/griddle at high heat and let the noodles sit unmolested long enough to develop bits of crunchy crust on them.

Add the sauce to taste and stir.

Add the green part of the green onions and stir for maybe a minute or two before killing the heat.

Add the garnishes to each individual plate. The tuna bacon will wriggle and writhe. That's just something it does when you put it on anything hot.

Back
Top Bottom