• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Moved Fuck yeah, Dark Brandon

To denote the thread has been moved
If the ‘pugs control the Senate next year, we can forget anything but more of the same, but worse, for the foreseeable future.
If Thomas croaks the day after Joe is re-elected, and Joe nominates a moderate to replace him, the majority leader will take a cue from McTurtle and refuse to bring them up for discussion, let alone a vote.

Whether the Supreme Court even moderates in my remaining lifetime will come down to woman and minority turnout in November in Arizona, Ohio, Florida, Montana, and Texas. We need the White House and the Senate to not make a mockery of SCOTUS selections. The GOP could very well be happy with waiting with a 6-2 bench.

All Biden had to do is last long enough as POTUS to replace 2 “ conservative “ justices.
Whom? Thomas, Alito, and Roberts aren't "that old". Roberts won't want to quit as Chief Justice, Thomas is being paid handsomely to stay on the bench. And Sotomayor isn't in the best of health and is 70. She needs to be replaced last year.
Time heals all wounds. Thomas and Alito are older than Sotomayor.
Yeah but Sotomayor is a woman. And an Hispanic.
She has diabetes and has a traveling nurse, so it isn't just having diabetes. We can't afford another Ginsburg type replacement, where we lose another justice. 6-3 is bad enough.
What about Clarence Thomas's recent hospitalization? What do we actually know about the health of Alito or Roberts?

Women are scrutinized in ways that men are not. Women are seen as more fragile than men, when clearly, women have a longer life expectancy and a longer healthy life expectancy compared with men. Remember Trump claiming that Hillary was too old and medically unsound? Bill Clinton is a little more than a year older than his wife but he looks to be in much more frail condition than she is.

Wait a doggone minute. Are you insinuating that Clarence’s dearest friends don’t value him for who he is but for what he can do for them?
Not at all! I take offense at that!

I am certain that Clarence’s dearest friend$ are all simply so charmed by his effervescent personality, rapier wit and profound insights into the human condition, they will do anything just to keep him nearby.

It is Clarence who values his friends by the size of their boats, planes and willingness to shell out for toys.

All Biden had to do is last long enough as POTUS to replace 2 “ conservative “ justices.
Whom? Thomas, Alito, and Roberts aren't "that old". Roberts won't want to quit as Chief Justice, Thomas is being paid handsomely to stay on the bench. And Sotomayor isn't in the best of health and is 70. She needs to be replaced last year.
She has diabetes and has a traveling nurse, so it isn't just having diabetes. We can't afford another Ginsburg type replacement, where we lose another justice. 6-3 is bad enough.
What about Clarence Thomas's recent hospitalization? What do we actually know about the health of Alito or Roberts?
They aren't stepping down with a Democrat in the White House. Our control over the Senate is dubious at best next year.
Women are scrutinized in ways that men are not.
Not by me, so give this crap to someone else. We lost a seat because Ginsburg wouldn't step down when she knew he health was failing. The GOP created a juggernaut court, which is currently 2-2 on the "young" side of justices. If Sotomayor is replaced with another late 40s pick, we aren't seeing a moderate court for a generation plus. I'm certain you understand the damage that will happen from that.

"If Americans send me a Congress that supports the right to choose I promise you: I will restore Roe v. Wade as the law of the land again".

No he won't, any more than Clinton or Obama enacted Roe v Wade as federal law back when they had Congresses that supported the right to choose. Our rulers are politicians. They'd rather preserve issues than rights.
That’s my fear. As much as Republicans are addicted to “the border”, I can see Dems turning the abortion issue, and even “threats to democracy” into an addiction if those issues win them the election. If they lean into those issues after winning, I think they will be routed in 2028 unless they also control the House and Senate (which will not happen).
Woman here. Women have been worried about BOTH parties campaigning on the abortion issue.....since 1973, at least. I'd say longer but tbh, I didn't pay as much attention prior to Roe V Wade.

You are correct that it is used much the same way that the border issue is used. What is different this time is that USSC rolled back individual rights for the first time in the history of the US with Dobbs. I don't think most understand just how angry women are.
Some women. Trump is still seeing a decent amount of support from women that support the sanctity of life... the life of the unborn as long as it suits their personal needs (or needs of a close loved one).

As a reminder, no Democrat has placed a judge on SCOTUS that ever ruled against a woman's right to herself. That'd be all the GOP'ers. HW Bush, W Bush, and Trump (and McConnell with his shameless SCOTUS stunt) were the ones that contributed to the ax'ing of Roe v Wade.
This is the same as #NotAllMen.
No it isn't.
I don't think most understand just how angry women are.

While I'll concede women that support Trump are irate, angry, fuming... it'll be over trite stuff, not Dobbs. While women are more likely to support candidates that are better for the country, that percentage isn't huge, especially among white women. I've long accepted being a minority in the majority. If it weren't for minorities, the GOP would rule the US everywhere except Massachusetts, Vermont, and California.
Of course not every woman supports abortion rights. Most who lose abortion rights do so because of religious reasons. I know multiple such women, some of whom are long time friends. Of course, not all religious women oppose abortion rights and some have had abortions themselves. I know more than one who did.

Certainly there are many of men who support abortion rights for women, including some religious men.

The majority of US citizens support abortion rights and birth control.

I think that every thinking person is aware of which USSC justice was appointed by which POTUS. Including women.
Then what is with the juxtaposition with the border?
Women who support bodily autonomy and reproductive rights are incandescently angry with Trump and the Dobbs decision.

They aren't stepping down with a Democrat in the White House. Our control over the Senate is dubious at best next year.
Not by me, so give this crap to someone else. We lost a seat because Ginsburg wouldn't step down when she knew he health was failing. The GOP created a juggernaut court, which is currently 2-2 on the "young" side of justices. If Sotomayor is replaced with another late 40s pick, we aren't seeing a moderate court for a generation plus. I'm certain you understand the damage that will happen from that.
The 'crap' was directed at people in general, not you in particular but if the shoe fits, who am I to tell you it isn't attractive?

Again, we know next to nothing about the relative health of any of the sitting justices, including those who are nearly the same age or older than Sotomayor, including one who was hospitalized with some sort of 'infection.'

I think most of us wish that Ginsburg had lived longer and in better health.

Women who support bodily autonomy and reproductive rights are incandescently angry with Trump and the Dobbs decision.
There is an election scheduled for November of this year. If that fire burns as bright as you advertise, it should be a rout of historic proportions.
I don’t expect a rout of historic proportions.
But a pleasant surprise would be most welcome 🙏🏽

They are also an historically low turnout demographic. I'd love to see that change, we'll see.
Tom

The 'crap' was directed at people in general, not you in particular but if the shoe fits, who am I to tell you it isn't attractive?
Well that is nice, passive-aggressive and all.
Again, we know next to nothing about the relative health of any of the sitting justices, including those who are nearly the same age or older than Sotomayor, including one who was hospitalized with some sort of 'infection.'
The only sitting justices that matter in this conversation are ones that'd actually step down. None of the far right-wingers will, even on death's door, perhaps even a step or two past it. So that leaves us with the three libs, and Sotomayor's health isn't particularly in good shape, she has a travelling nurse. I don't want to lose her from the bench overall, but pragmatism is pragmatism. It has nothing to do with being a woman or being Hispanic.
...and retired when Obama was President so she could be replaced with a Justice that wasn't a far right partisan hack.

They are also an historically low turnout demographic. I'd love to see that change, we'll see.
Tom
Based on the quasi-record great mid-term the Democrats had in 2022, we've already seen the post Dobbs electorate in action. The question is how will this impact several potentially close senate races that will determine control of the Senate. Arizona and Florida will be asterisks as abortion and self-autonomy are expected on the ballot in those two states.

Tom
I am under the impeded that women turnout out slightly mire than men. Do you have data to the contrary?

Tom
I am under the impeded that women turnout out slightly mire than men. Do you have data to the contrary?
Women historically vote in greater numbers than men.

The only sitting justices that matter in this conversation are ones that'd actually step down. None of the far right-wingers will, even on death's door, perhaps even a step or two past it. So that leaves us with the three libs, and Sotomayor's health isn't particularly in good shape, she has a travelling nurse. I don't want to lose her from the bench overall, but pragmatism is pragmatism. It has nothing to do with being a woman or being Hispanic.
...and retired when Obama was President so she could be replaced with a Justice that wasn't a far right partisan hack.

Very few people predicted Trump. Even Trump didn’t think he’d win and did not actually plan to win.

But yes, let’s go after women who are more open about their health compared with Thomas and his mysterious hospitalization.

I’m so so so sorry that you feel attacked by someone on a discussion board.

Not as sorry as I am to be seen as passive anything.

I do realize that you and I mostly agree on most issues. I do not think that you realize just how gender specific some of your word choices are.

Very few people predicted Trump. Even Trump didn’t think he’d win and did not actually plan to win.

But yes, let’s go after women who are more open about their health compared with Thomas and his mysterious hospitalization.
1) The issue regarding Sotomayor is the gamble over who is in charge over what, if there is untimely passing. This isn't about her competence to do the job with her illness.

2) Thomas should quit. His financial arrangements are a gross ethical violation for the court he is supposed to be serving on. But he ain't, so I'm not wasting my energy on it. But wait... am I saying he should quit because he's black. Can you remind me again about that?

Back
Top Bottom