• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Moved Fuck yeah, Dark Brandon

To denote the thread has been moved
Do you really believe that another USSC justice could be confirmed before Biden’s first term is up? Ole Mitch ain’t what he used to be…
Of course. Dems have the Senate majority, no matter how slight. McTurtle cannot prevent the vote like in 2016 when he had the majority.
If Biden wins in November, but Reps get the Senate majority, it will be harder for Biden to push his chosen nominee through.
If Trump wins, and Reps get the Senate, what kind of justice do you think Red Sonia will be replaced with?
This is something hard to grasp for a lot of people but women comprise a majority of the voting age population in the US.
Irrelevant to the question of whether Sotomayor should retire while retiring is good. Many women have voted for Trump. Many will vote for him again, as well as for GOP Senate candidates.

I'm a bit nervous about turnout among the Talib supporters.
I suspect you mean "Tlaib", as in Rashida, and not "Talib" the singular of "Taliban"? Although both of these are highly problematic.
Those Representatives are playing with fire
True. Should Trump win Michigan, he needs to send Tlaib some flowers or something.
and hopefully they know what they are doing.
They don't.

The right to one's body is an issue that women don't have a fleeting relationship with.
I still don't understand why the movement leftism's idea of "right to one's body" is an issue limited to abortion. Bodily autonomy should also apply to things like consensual sex work.

The economy ultimately will settle the general trend, then we need to adjust for Dobbs. 2024 is very unsettled, and it is frightening that it is such a case. That a political moderate like Biden could be saddled with being a communist seems like crappy GOP fan fic.
Biden is far from being a communist. However, while he campaigned as a moderate in 2020, unfortunately he allowed himself to be pulled to the left by the Bernie-AOC wing of the party. Now he is campaigning more from the left. He is proposing new spending and higher taxes.
Biden's $7.3 trillion budget is campaign pitch for spending, tax goals

The biggest thing hurting Biden is the Israeli-Gaza conflict, as younger people and many leftists demand for Biden to call for a cease fire. Which he has been doing for quite some time now. But Israel and Hamas do not seem to fall in line with what the US demands.
The problem is that these "younger people and leftists" (as well as Muslims and Arabs) see the demand for ceasefire one-sidedly. Remember the rallies that called for a "ceasefire" the day after 10/7?
Even now, as it is clear that the impediment to a ceasefire are Hamas' absolutist demands, the left blames Israel for a lack of ceasefire.
Biden disappointed me for not wanting Israel to go into Rafah. How can Hamas be defeated if significant parts of Gazan territory are arbitrarily off-limits for IDF?

I hope y'all are correct.
But I remember 2016. First female candidate Clinton. Opposed by Trump who promised to end Roe v Wade with SCOTUS judges.
Hillary was a very flawed candidate. She should not have been made heiress apparent by the DNC. That was the fatal flaw of 2016.
Not enough pro-women, pro-choice, voters turned out to prevent what happened.
Another thing is that Hillary campaigned too much on the issue of her being a woman. She also took the "Blue Firewall" for granted and did not campaign enough in those states. It does nothing to run up the score in California or Massachusetts but lose Michigan and Wisconsin.
Clinton barely won the popular vote, she lost the real vote in the EC. That's why we are now stuck with the current situation, because pro-choice voters did not vote for the pro-choice candidate.
As you implied, the popular vote does not matter. Had we had a popular vote election, both campaigns would be run differently and votes would be very different too. Besides, she did not really win the popular vote. If US had the French system of electing president by popular vote, and these were the votes, both Hillary and Trump would go into the runoff. Nothing would have been "won".

As you implied, the popular vote does not matter.
You know what the "popular vote" means?
Democracy.
When who the American people vote for doesn't matter we aren't a democracy.

If the second runner up in an election can take over a position like POTUS we aren't a democracy. If it's the usual thing, we haven't been one for awhile.

Republicans have lost so many popular elections during my lifetime I've stopped considering them anything but tyrants. Rich folks who don't care about much but screwing over the American people to make rich folks richer.
Like Clarence Thomas going on cruises and having his rich friends buy a nice house for his Mom.
"As long as you're giving me money, I'll do anything you want in SCOTUS, I kinda have to..."
Tom

You know what the "popular vote" means?
Democracy.
When who the American people vote for doesn't matter we aren't a democracy.
So you are saying UK or Germany (and many other systems) are not democracies either because they do not get to vote for their head of state nor head of government? In those countries they do not even get to cast a vote for chancellor, president or prime minister. Much less their king.
If the second runner up in an election can take over a position like POTUS we aren't a democracy. If it's the usual thing, we haven't been one for awhile.
It's a state-by-state election. In a place like Germany or UK, head of government is elected by the parliament, not by popular vote. In Germany, head of state is elected by a special-purpose body composed of members of the federal and state parliaments. In the UK, head of state is a hereditary position.
In the US, at least you get to select the name of the person you want for president (both the head of state and head of government), even if the election is done on a state-by-state basis.
Republicans have lost so many popular elections during my lifetime I've stopped considering them anything but tyrants.
Again, they won based on the system in place. Just like Olaf Scholz won by being elected by the Bundestag and not by the German people. Is he a tyrant? The only people who were able to actually vote for him were residents of the  Potsdam – Potsdam-Mittelmark II – Teltow-Fläming II constituency.
If US had a popular nationwide vote, election strategies would be different and so would be the vote totals at the end of the day. You play by the rules of the game. Just like World Series is played by the number of games won and not by aggregate number of runs scored. If a coach tried to maximize the later at the expense of the former, he would be an idiot. And so would be any campaign manager or candidate who tried to maximize the popular vote at the expense of the EV vote.
Rich folks who don't care about much but screwing over the American people to make rich folks richer.
Like Clarence Thomas going on cruises and having his rich friends buy a nice house for his Mom.
"As long as you're giving me money, I'll do anything you want in SCOTUS, I kinda have to..."
Do you have any evidence of such bribery? Or is it just conjecture? In any case, it has nothing to do with the electoral system.

I have a question - well, two parts - for all of you who like to post about how awful Biden is and how awful all the Dems are, all the time, without ever offering anything other than just trying to destroy the system through distrust, negativity and complaints.

WHO DO YOU WANT INSTEAD?

Derec. Who do you want instead of Biden? Instead of the Dem congress? Who? Who INSTEAD? Who are you positive for?

Bomb20. Who do you want instead of Biden? Instead of the Dem congress? Who? Who INSTEAD? Who are you positive for?

TSwizzle. Who do you want instead of Biden? Instead of the Dem congress? Who? Who INSTEAD? Who are you positive for?

What postive, building opinion or action do you have for our country? I realize Derec and TSwizzle are both immigrants, and so you may have some amazing ideas that no American has ever thought of before.

So who is it? Who would make you say something positive and not just continually sow dissatisfaction, distrust and derision?

who, exactly?

The biggest thing hurting Biden is the Israeli-Gaza conflict, as younger people and many leftists demand for Biden to call for a cease fire. Which he has been doing for quite some time now. But Israel and Hamas do not seem to fall in line with what the US demands.
The problem is that these "younger people and leftists" (as well as Muslims and Arabs) see the demand for ceasefire one-sidedly. Remember the rallies that called for a "ceasefire" the day after 10/7?
Even now, as it is clear that the impediment to a ceasefire are Hamas' absolutist demands, the left blames Israel for a lack of ceasefire.
Biden disappointed me for not wanting Israel to go into Rafah. How can Hamas be defeated if significant parts of Gazan territory are arbitrarily off-limits for IDF?
I don’t disagree with much of what you wrote but if Hamas is pursued into Rafah, the civilians will have no where else to go. This is not just a war ( however undeclared) but an enormous humanitarian crisis with children being displaced, injured, left cold and hungry and sick. The Palestinian people truly are in a difficult —impossible crisis situation. It’s easy for me to type from my living room that they should just stand up to Hamas and kick them out but I have a sound roof over my head, food in my house, water, power to my house and a much more responsive political structure and all that entails. I’m safe. I do not have to worry about bombs or invaders or being murdered or if my husband and children will get home safely. I don’t have to feel that to exist. And that is precisely the situation of the Palestinian people. Please do not think that I forget for one second or that I do not recognize the Israeli side of the conflict! I certainly do!

Do you really believe that another USSC justice could be confirmed before Biden’s first term is up? Ole Mitch ain’t what he used to be…
Of course. Dems have the Senate majority, no matter how slight. McTurtle cannot prevent the vote like in 2016 when he had the majority.
If Biden wins in November, but Reps get the Senate majority, it will be harder for Biden to push his chosen nominee through.
If Trump wins, and Reps get the Senate, what kind of justice do you think Red Sonia will be replaced with?
This is something hard to grasp for a lot of people but women comprise a majority of the voting age population in the US.
Irrelevant to the question of whether Sotomayor should retire while retiring is good. Many women have voted for Trump. Many will vote for him again, as well as for GOP Senate candidates.
But not irrelevant with regards to the uncertain health of the older male justices or the extremely questionable ethics of Thomas and Kavanaugh, to name a couple of Justices who should resign or not have been confirmed —or the ones grossly under qualified (ACB)

Women are scrutinized in ways that men are not.
Not again with that! SCOTUS justices are scrutinized no matter their plumbing!
Women are seen as more fragile than men, when clearly, women have a longer life expectancy and a longer healthy life expectancy compared with men.
According to SSA actuarial tables, a 70 year old woman has a life expectancy ~2.3 years longer than a 70 year old man. Significant on a population level, but not really for assessing individual 70 year olds. Red Sonia's long history of Type I Diabetes probably plays a lot bigger role in her projected life expectancy than her sex.
Remember Trump claiming that Hillary was too old and medically unsound? Bill Clinton is a little more than a year older than his wife but he looks to be in much more frail condition than she is.
Does he? To me they both look about equally decrepit.
Bill looks like I could blow him over with a strong puff. Hillary looks and sounds pretty darn good.

I admit that I have some biases, having had a couple of great aunts and one aunt by marriage with their faculties quite intact. My grandparents who did not die at very young ages were mentally competent well into their 80’s when they died. My father in law was in his 90’s when he passed away, with his mind as keen as it ever was—which was considerable.

I suspect you mean "Tlaib", as in Rashida, and not "Talib" the singular of "Taliban"? Although both of these are highly problematic.
True. Should Trump win Michigan, he needs to send Tlaib some flowers or something.

There were three times as many Haley voters on the Republican side than there were "uncommitted" on the Democratic side. So, he should put more effort on retaining a larger number of voters of his own party than worrying about the smaller number of voters who may still end up voting for Joe in the general.

There were three times as many Haley voters on the Republican side than there were "uncommitted" on the Democratic side. So, he should put more effort on retaining a larger number of voters of his own party than worrying about the smaller number of voters who may still end up voting for Joe in the general.

For quite some time now, the GOP has been focused on what wins in the primary vs what wins in the general. Rile up the base, screw the independents and swing voters, and hope turnout will win the day. It failed in 2020. Failed again (mostly) in 2022. Now? They're doubling down on the crazy.

Meanwhile, the Biden camp seems to have finally grasped that the "Dark Brandon" thing is a winner.

I have a question - well, two parts - for all of you who like to post about how awful Biden is and how awful all the Dems are, all the time, without ever offering anything other than just trying to destroy the system through distrust, negativity and complaints.
It's called the "Politics Forum". We are discussing politics.

WHO DO YOU WANT INSTEAD?
A tough question. I am an independent who is socially libertarian, fiscally moderate, in favor of strong defense and strong borders. I am opposed to both major camps.

Derec. Who do you want instead of Biden? Instead of the Dem congress? Who? Who INSTEAD? Who are you positive for?
Biden has done some things I agree with. But he has been too susceptible to manipulation by LWNJs in his own ranks. B3 was a stupid idea, period and I am glad Sinema and Manchin managed to deep six it.
Or take Israel. Biden started out great, but now he is wavering because of pressure from the far left flank. So he does not want Israel to finish the job by entering Rafah which is the last stronghold of Hamas in Gaza. It's like pressuring Allies to not enter Berlin!
Or take illegals. Even as Biden was weak on the issue in the SOTU speech - he dismissed concerns over violent crime by illegals and even said Laken Riley's name wrong - he was attacked by the Left for the use of the word "illegal" and has apologized for it. That shows weakness toward the unhinged fringes of his own party - the fringes that want to see ICE abolished and borders made even more open than they already are.

What postive, building opinion or action do you have for our country? I realize Derec and TSwizzle are both immigrants, and so you may have some amazing ideas that no American has ever thought of before.
I do not think "no American has ever thought of" any of my ideas before. But I do have some.
- Secure the border. Allow easier deportation of illegals. Reform the hopelessly outdated asylum system - it was never envisioned to effect de facto open borders like it is doing now.
- Be truly liberal. Right now, so-called liberals are "liberal" only on abortion and LGBTQABCXYZ issues. Individual freedom should not be limited to special interests. A woman should have autonomy over her body not only when she decides to have an abortion but also if she decides to provide professional sexual services. Legalizing marijuana and non-punitive approach to hard drugs would also be truly liberal.
- Strong defense of our allies including non-NATO allies like Israel and Ukraine. When defending themselves, those allies should not be pressured to stop so they can be attacked again (that mostly applies to Israel).
- Recognize the dangers posed to the West by political Islam, including domestically.
- Taxes - should be fair. The child-free face an undue tax burden regardless of income. That should not be made even more unfair by increasing child tax credits. Also, if you live in a high tax state, those taxes should not be subsidized by federal taxes - SALT deductions are a bad idea, especially since only those who itemize their taxes . In general also, tax code could be made 90% simpler with no negative effects on collection. In fact, collection would most likely increase due to fewer loopholes.

So who is it? Who would make you say something positive and not just continually sow dissatisfaction, distrust and derision?
This is a discussion forum, not a Biden fan club. Criticism of politicians should be encouraged on both sides.
I voted for Biden, but that is not an unconditional endorsement. I still reserve the right to criticize him when I think he is in the wrong.

Also, it's not WHO, but WHAT. Ideas, rather than personalities. Personalities can change once in office. Like Biden who campaigned as a moderate, but then allowed himself to be coopted by the Bernie-AOC wing of the party.

Personalities can change once in office. Like Biden who campaigned as a moderate, but then allowed himself to be coopted by the Bernie-AOC wing of the party.
What a shocker, after being picked by Obama to serve as his VP, eh? It's like fucking treason, right?
- Secure the border. Allow easier deportation of illegals. Reform the hopelessly outdated asylum system - it was never envisioned to effect de facto open borders like it is doing now.
If enough people vote blue, that can be done.
Otherwise forget it. "The Border" is one of the last few teats Republicans cling to, to derive their life-giving nourishment.

WHO DO YOU WANT INSTEAD?
A tough question. I am an independent who is socially libertarian, fiscally moderate, in favor of strong defense and strong borders. I am opposed to both major camps.

So when asked who you would vote FOR,
Your response is to say how bad you think biden is.

Why are you unwilling to say who you would vote FOR? Are you trying to tell us there is no one better than Biden that you want to vote for, even while you think he’s not good enough?

That’s so weird. To just complain and complain and complain, and have no community-building, positive position to take.
Nothing to build, just actions to tear down.
It’s so foreign to me. I alays wonder, if you’re trying to tear down candidate A, it because you want candidate B instead, right? But no you surprise me by admitting that you have no thoughts about the election beyond complaining. You state policies you’d like, but no plan how to get them, no vision who could get votes to bring them to fruition. Nothing to build.

Completely foreign to me. I don’t get it.

WHO DO YOU WANT INSTEAD?

So when asked who you would vote FOR,
Your response is to say how bad you think biden is.

Why are you unwilling to say who you would vote FOR? Are you trying to tell us there is no one better than Biden that you want to vote for, even while you think he’s not good enough?

That’s so weird. To just complain and complain and complain, and have no community-building, positive position to take.
Nothing to build, just actions to tear down.
It’s so foreign to me. I alays wonder, if you’re trying to tear down candidate A, it because you want candidate B instead, right? But no you surprise me by admitting that you have no thoughts about the election beyond complaining. You state policies you’d like, but no plan how to get them, no vision who could get votes to bring them to fruition. Nothing to build.

Completely foreign to me. I don’t get it.
Unfortunately, I’ve heard that whole let’s tear the whole thing down bit from a number of younger adults. Not necessarily so explicitly.

I think too few understand that along with the whole notion of checks and balances and not trampling the rights of minorities comes the price of compromise, patience, approaching problems from different perspectives and creative problem solving.

Maybe my parents’ generation felt the same: that youth is too impatient and unable or unwilling to to the hard work needed.

Maybe for my generation it was easier to do better economically than our parents’ generation who grew up during the Great Depression and WwII and graduated to Korea. I think my own kids do not realize how tough things were when they were very young, and don’t really have much of a grasp of how difficult and confusing it could be even for middle class white kids ad we fought with our parents about Viet Nam, Civil Rights, women’s rights, the beginnings of LGBTQ rights. Or lines at the gas pump, cc interest, mortgage rates well into the double digits, unemployment, etc. I think they believe our childhoods were some version of Happy Days, The Andy Griffith Show with a bit of Stand By Me thrown in for some edge. Oh, and Animal House.

I will give them that such open access to the internet has meant a quicker and more thorough end to innocence. Those of us who suffered abuse thought that ours was some special case. And now, I think those who did not face such abuse think they are the exceptions.

Personalities can change once in office. Like Biden who campaigned as a moderate, but then allowed himself to be coopted by the Bernie-AOC wing of the party.
What a shocker, after being picked by Obama to serve as his VP, eh? It's like fucking treason, right?
Right.

To be a moderate, one must be inflexible, unyielding, and committed to defending a fixed point on the political spectrum at all costs, forever.

No changing policies to address changing conditions, no consensus building with less moderate colleagues, no compromises, no exceptions.
If enough people vote blue, that can be done.
Otherwise forget it. "The Border" is one of the last few teats Republicans cling to, to derive their life-giving nourishment.
Yes, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom