• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Moved Fuck yeah, Dark Brandon

To denote the thread has been moved
Historic voter turnout, USA by gender:
Gender wasn't my point.
Young people, black people, single mothers, there's a bunch of demographics that are typically low turnout.

Older people, Christian people, people with money, those are all much higher turnout demographics.
Remember 2016, when Trump got enough votes to get POTUS? I believe that was largely the result of low turnout demographics, who typically vote Democrat, simply not bothering.
Tom

Gender wasn't my point.
Young people, black people, single mothers, there's a bunch of demographics that are typically low turnout.
They can be, but they weren't in 2020 or 2022. As a reminder, Abrams helped deliver Georgia's two Senate Seats and the state's EVs! That wasn't white turnout doing that. Abrams' and black turnout gave the Democrats the Senate Majority.

This is the same as #NotAllMen.

Of course not every woman supports abortion rights. Most who lose abortion rights do so because of religious reasons. I know multiple such women, some of whom are long time friends. Of course, not all religious women oppose abortion rights and some have had abortions themselves. I know more than one who did.

Certainly there are many of men who support abortion rights for women, including some religious men.

The majority of US citizens support abortion rights and birth control.

I think that every thinking person is aware of which USSC justice was appointed by which POTUS. Including women.
A useful fact for supporters of abortion rights to keep in our pockets: 70% of women who get abortions are Christians. This is oldish (2015), but it's significant in that it came from Christian researchers in a Christian organization (LifeWay Research) publishing in Christian outlets.

And it's more than just, "wEll, 70% oF meriCans are Christian, sO, so what?" The so what is that Christians are the source of fetal worship. That percentage should be way lower judging by the zealotry, shouldn't it? Shouldn't the majority be leftists?

It's also in fact a minority position anyway.

I also like to remind them that the wives and mistresses of white, affluent Christian men will always, always have access to safe abortion. The people most adamantly opposing abortion rights don't actually need to worry about their own women being denied access.

Yeah but Sotomayor is a woman. And an Hispanic.
She has diabetes and has a traveling nurse, so it isn't just having diabetes. We can't afford another Ginsburg type replacement, where we lose another justice. 6-3 is bad enough.
What about Clarence Thomas's recent hospitalization? What do we actually know about the health of Alito or Roberts?
They aren't stepping down with a Democrat in the White House. Our control over the Senate is dubious at best next year.
Women are scrutinized in ways that men are not.
Not by me, so give this crap to someone else. We lost a seat because Ginsburg wouldn't step down when she knew he health was failing. The GOP created a juggernaut court, which is currently 2-2 on the "young" side of justices. If Sotomayor is replaced with another late 40s pick, we aren't seeing a moderate court for a generation plus. I'm certain you understand the damage that will happen from that.
The 'crap' was directed at people in general, not you in particular but if the shoe fits, who am I to tell you it isn't attractive?
Well that is nice, passive-aggressive and all.
Again, we know next to nothing about the relative health of any of the sitting justices, including those who are nearly the same age or older than Sotomayor, including one who was hospitalized with some sort of 'infection.'
The only sitting justices that matter in this conversation are ones that'd actually step down. None of the far right-wingers will, even on death's door, perhaps even a step or two past it. So that leaves us with the three libs, and Sotomayor's health isn't particularly in good shape, she has a travelling nurse. I don't want to lose her from the bench overall, but pragmatism is pragmatism. It has nothing to do with being a woman or being Hispanic.
I think most of us wish that Ginsburg had lived longer and in better health.
...and retired when Obama was President so she could be replaced with a Justice that wasn't a far right partisan hack.

Very few people predicted Trump. Even Trump didn’t think he’d win and did not actually plan to win.

But yes, let’s go after women who are more open about their health compared with Thomas and his mysterious hospitalization.
1) The issue regarding Sotomayor is the gamble over who is in charge over what, if there is untimely passing. This isn't about her competence to do the job with her illness.

2) Thomas should quit. His financial arrangements are a gross ethical violation for the court he is supposed to be serving on. But he ain't, so I'm not wasting my energy on it. But wait... am I saying he should quit because he's black. Can you remind me again about that?
Do you really believe that another USSC justice could be confirmed before Biden’s first term is up? Ole Mitch ain’t what he used to be…

This is something hard to grasp for a lot of people but women comprise a majority of the voting age population in the US.

Gender wasn't my point.
They can be, but they weren't in 2020 or 2022. As a reminder, Abrams helped deliver Georgia's two Senate Seats and the state's EVs! That wasn't white turnout doing that. Abrams' and black turnout gave the Democrats the Senate Majority.
Like I said upthread, I'd love it if they did.
But I'm not holding my breath.
Tom

Gender wasn't my point.

Older people, Christian people, people with money, those are all much higher turnout demographics.
Remember 2016, when Trump got enough votes to get POTUS? I believe that was largely the result of low turnout demographics, who typically vote Democrat, simply not bothering.
Tom
My apologies if I totally misunderstood your post #30 in which you wrote:
Women who support bodily autonomy and reproductive rights are incandescently angry with Trump and the Dobbs decision.
They are also an historically low turnout demographic. I'd love to see that change, we'll see.
Tom

1) The issue regarding Sotomayor is the gamble over who is in charge over what, if there is untimely passing. This isn't about her competence to do the job with her illness.

2) Thomas should quit. His financial arrangements are a gross ethical violation for the court he is supposed to be serving on. But he ain't, so I'm not wasting my energy on it. But wait... am I saying he should quit because he's black. Can you remind me again about that?
Do you really believe that another USSC justice could be confirmed before Biden’s first term is up? Ole Mitch ain’t what he used to be…
It is just majority vote now. It was 60 votes when McConnell pulled the stunt after the passing of Scalia. McConnell made that change to get one of his dolts onto the bench, off my head I think Gorsuch, who took the stolen bench seat.
This is something hard to grasp for a lot of people but women comprise a majority of the voting age population in the US.
I wouldn't know about that. But I do know that voting usually breaks down to between 52/48 to 54/46 female/male, and whenever checking prelim election info see who won, I look at the gender breakdown in Exit Polls as that is usually a strong indicator of the election outcome. In general, women are majority blue, driven strongly by minority women. Where as men are majority red, driven by *sigh* white males.

Gender wasn't my point.
Like I said upthread, I'd love it if they did.
But I'm not holding my breath.
Tom
When you say "if", you mean "when".

I'm a bit nervous about turnout among the Talib supporters. Those Representatives are playing with fire and hopefully they know what they are doing. I think Dobbs related turnout will be similar to 2022, especially in states with referendums. The thing with young voters is generally political issues are fleeting. The right to one's body is an issue that women don't have a fleeting relationship with. The economy ultimately will settle the general trend, then we need to adjust for Dobbs. 2024 is very unsettled, and it is frightening that it is such a case. That a political moderate like Biden could be saddled with being a communist seems like crappy GOP fan fic.

When you say "if", you mean "when".
No I don't.
It would be great if it happens, but I also remember 2016. When so many people at the blue end of the political spectrum didn't vote for Clinton that Trump won the White House.

There's some seriously politically uninformed people amongst the Dems as well.
Tom

Yeah, you could have replaced "women" with "people" and my meaning would be the same.
Tom
I wrote what I wrote and you wrote what you wrote.
What I wrote was accurate.
Women who support abortion rights are historically low turnout.
Tom
What you two are saying are not at odds. If both are true there is a lot of upside potential for increased turnout per Tom, and it should be realized this fall per Toni.

Yeah, you could have replaced "women" with "people" and my meaning would be the same.
Tom
Tom
Data?

Tom
Tom
What you two are saying are not at odds. If both are true there is a lot of upside potential for increased turnout per Tom, and it should be realized this fall per Toni.
I stand by my posts.

Tom
Tom
Data?

I eagerly await the emergence of proof from this fall’s pudding.

I too would love to see vastly higher turnout from the blue end of the spectrum.

I think that the Teaparty Republicans could be shown the door if blue voters turned out the way red voters do. Last I heard, there was about a 60-40 difference between bluish and reddish numbers. But red voters are more likely to actually vote, so therefore we have a government a long way to the right of the American people overall.

I sincerely hope that is changing.
Tom

Tom
Tom
Data?

Me too. But maybe take a look at 2020 and 2023 election results for a clue.

The biggest thing hurting Biden is the Israeli-Gaza conflict, as younger people and many leftists demand for Biden to call for a cease fire. Which he has been doing for quite some time now. But Israel and Hamas do not seem to fall in line with what the US demands.

I do NOT mean this as a derail. I’m pointing out a challenge for Biden’s campaign.

Me too. But maybe take a look at 2020 and 2023 election results for a clue.
I hope y'all are correct.
But I remember 2016. First female candidate Clinton. Opposed by Trump who promised to end Roe v Wade with SCOTUS judges.

Not enough pro-women, pro-choice, voters turned out to prevent what happened. Clinton barely won the popular vote, she lost the real vote in the EC. That's why we are now stuck with the current situation, because pro-choice voters did not vote for the pro-choice candidate.

None of this is news. It was all predicted before the 2016 election. Maybe things are different now but I'm a major cynic.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom