• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gas almost $7 a gallon

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Three weeks ago here it was $3.29 for regular. About a week and a half ago it bumped up to $3.89. Today it went up to $4.25.

I last week filled my car with premium for $4.49. Kinda' dreading what it will be next time I fill up but I'm not going to complain. My part of the effort to spit in Putin's eye.

We made the national headlines the other day when our statewide average topped $5 USD a gallon for the week preceding. Made for a rather pricey weekend getaway for my guy and me, but I'm not really complaining. I've seen the damage petroleum extraction does; it should be expensive.

Funny how a shortage in a market we don't really participate in affects our gas prices seemingly as much as if it were our own pipelines being bombed. Overheard an old-timer at the coffeeshop this morning expounding on how this was all Biden's fault for not "standing up to Putin"; how this would have made our gasoline cheaper was less than clear to me! :LOL:

It's gone up significantly where we're at too, but this idea that it's expensive is overblown. It does cost more money than it did before, but that happens from time to time. We might be spending 20 - 30 more dollars per month, which really isn't that much.

In Canada we're so used to the prices being low, low, and so consistently, that it's a shock for some people, but the media is definitely contributing to people's perception that prices are sky-rocketing. Once prices start topping 3 or 4 dollars per litre then there might be some reason for concern.

Prices have gone up here, and there was a bit of sticker shock when I filled up yesterday, but the actual impact?

Filling up yesterday cost a whole $2.01 more than it did 2 weeks ago. I think I can survive.

We made the national headlines the other day when our statewide average topped $5 USD a gallon for the week preceding. Made for a rather pricey weekend getaway for my guy and me, but I'm not really complaining. I've seen the damage petroleum extraction does; it should be expensive.

Funny how a shortage in a market we don't really participate in affects our gas prices seemingly as much as if it were our own pipelines being bombed. Overheard an old-timer at the coffeeshop this morning expounding on how this was all Biden's fault for not "standing up to Putin"; how this would have made our gasoline cheaper was less than clear to me! :LOL:
I'm starting to see $6/gal pretty regularly in the Sunnyvale/Mountain View/Palo Alto area. Generally, that's for the high octane gas at the name brand gas stations, though. The way things are going we'll be seeing $10 gallon by the end of the year!

I'm starting to see $6/gal pretty regularly in the Sunnyvale/Mountain View/Palo Alto area. Generally, that's for the high octane gas at the name brand gas stations, though. The way things are going we'll be seeing $10 gallon by the end of the year!
Yes, I'm glad I'm still working remote. If gas prices are still looking like this when I'm commuting out to Modesto on the daily again, uh.... hm. Well! Hm.

I traveled across country in ‘08 during a time of high gas prices. I remember stopping at a Shell in Lee Vining to see gas over five dollars a gallon. Checking it today, it’s $6.30 or so says google maps.

This winter I’ve become disciplined about consolidating grocery and home store runs so I’m only going out once every four days. No more country cruises to the further away Lowe’s.

I saw an oil industry expert on one of the talking head news program who said we should expect to see gas over $6/g nationwide soon.

I think it was about 3.50 this weekend, but we only fill up our car about once a month. Having a hybrid and being retired keeps us from using much gas. We only drive the gas guzzler about once a week for a short trip.

I will not be hauling my cutting horse to any regional shows this year. There are 2-3 shows scheduled locally that will be virtually walking/ riding distance (5-6 miles), so we will content ourselves with those. We’re both old and I’m weary (unlike my horse) and I see no need to spend the hundreds of extra dollars it costs to drag a horse trailer all over hell and back - especially if it’s going to be around a buck a mile just for gas! I used to joke about making gas money when we’d win a class, but now it’s no joke.

I traveled across country in ‘08 during a time of high gas prices. I remember stopping at a Shell in Lee Vining to see gas over five dollars a gallon. Checking it today, it’s $6.30 or so says google maps.

This winter I’ve become disciplined about consolidating grocery and home store runs so I’m only going out once every four days. No more country cruises to the further away Lowe’s.
Back in the '90's I used to do a lot of rock climbing and camping in Yosemite, with occasional trips over Tioga Pass to the Owens Valley and the Bishop area for more adventures. I always remember that gas station in Lee Vining at the base of TP giving me and my friends a bit of sticker shock. It was the first station I ever saw where gas was selling for over $2.00/gallon. We were floored when we saw that. What a scam, we thought. Gawd, to have that price of gas again...

$3.70ish around NE Ohio. Last time this high right by the Great Recession, I think. Back then I had the Honda Insight and scoffed. Don't scoff as much these days, but I don't drive around all that much.

It's always expensive in Lee Vining, but on the plus side, they've got the Whoa Nellie Deli, so all is forgiven.

I remember walking to school in the 70's during the Gas Crunch. Passed a gas station with a sign out front, "Gas 17c/gallon." Cars were lined up around the block.

Going home that afternoon, the same station's sign was 'Gas 71c/gallon. Help wanted.'

It's always expensive in Lee Vining, but on the plus side, they've got the Whoa Nellie Deli, so all is forgiven.
Is that the restaurant that is part gas station, and they have offbeat menu items, like bison burgers and such?

Is that the restaurant that is part gas station, and they have offbeat menu items, like bison burgers and such?
Righto. Great place. Good food, nice view of the lake.

Geez, I hope they survived the pandemic, I haven't been over there since things went pear shaped. Google says "temporarily closed", but hopefully that's for snow.

Righto. Great place. Good food, nice view of the lake.
Thought so. I ate there once with a couple of friends on the way to climb Mt Whitney back in 2007. I was a little taken aback initially when they said we were going to eat a gas station for dinner, but it didn't disappoint. I think I did have bison.

Back
Top Bottom