• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gas almost $7 a gallon

My local congressman (Democrat) is proposing a halt to the state 18c gas tax for the rest of the year.

Orlando Florida Last week Average $3.19 Monday $4.19 I predict by Friday 4.75 and next Monday $5.19 (peek).

Edit: Per Gallon

Queensland used to be on a par with Texas for having the lowest price at the pump in the developed world, but then the High Court ruled in 1997 that excise could only be raised by the federal government, according to Section 90 of the constitution.

NSW and Vic successfully lobbied for the Commonwealth to impose a nationwide excise to replace their now unlawful levies, and to funnel that money back to the state governments; Queensland then provided a subsidy to retailers to make up the difference, but this was frozen at 8.354c/l, and was then removed entirely in 2009, ending the price difference that used to apply at the border.

I can still remember seeing servos in Northern NSW advertising 'fuel at Queensland prices'; The constitution prohibits restrictions on trade across state borders, so before 1997, the Northern NSW servos bought their fuel from the Brisbane refineries, to avoid the NSW levy.

I was astonished the first time I fuelled up in Brisbane, around 1994, at 59.9c/l, which was about 27p - at a time when UK forecourts were charging around 50p/l.

Saw a $4.59. Costco gas lines were insane, took about two minutes to get to a parking space to go pick up a chicken.

Gas is only about 4 bucks a gallon here, at least that's what it was yesterday. Some stations were less than 4 and some were slightly over 4. Kemp wants to eliminate the state gas tax for 2 months and apparently some of the Dems, including Warnock want to suspend the federal gas tax for the rest of the year. I guess they think that will help get them reelected in November.

Yeah, our governor just floated a gas tax exemption too. Not sure about the odds, here.

You ever feel like modern Americans are like, way more spineless than their grandparents when it comes to wartime shortages of things? We'll happily kill children for our principles, but we won't pay a few extra dollars for them.

I paid $5.47 at Costco this morning, the line to get to the pump was long and I waited about ten minutes. I actually went yesterday but abandoned the mission because I didn't have time to wait.

My local congressman (Democrat) is proposing a halt to the state 18c gas tax for the rest of the year.
Can't we just pay expensive gas to support Ukraine. Jebus!
No, California is sitting on billions of dollars of surplus money. That insufferable prick Newsom is talking about giving us back some money. Probably in the form of a check with "Provided by Newsom, you're welcome" printed in the Memo. I think he has to give us some money back when there is such a large surplus.

Paid $5.29 for Premium/93 oct gas for my car (up about $1.3 since last week) in Columbia, SC. Paid $5.9 /gallon for 100LL aviation fuel at LB Owens field for my Cessna 414a this morning (up about $0.50 from 2 weeks ago).

It's been all over the place recently, anywhere between about $1.40 and $2, but in the last couple of weeks it seems to be settling around $1.70 per litre in Brisbane.
except for diesel, which has been nice and stable... all of a sudden it's more expensive than your car.

At least mine runs on the smell of an oily rag...

and which reminds me - I must fill up..

Back
Top Bottom