• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged Gaza just launched an unprovoked attack on Israel

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
Plenty of people survive war zones. These 3 poor souls were needlessly killed by the IDF. Your response is senseless.
These three?
They were killed by Hamas and their Gazan supporters.
That is factually incorrect. The IDF admits their soldiers killed the escaped hostages. Your claim is delusional.
We are looking for root causes, not the immediate cause.

And the root cause was Hamas pulling stunts like this in order to move around to new firing positions.
so, are you arguing that it is understandable or also justified? Because even the IDF admits it is unjustified by saying it it against their rules of engagement.

To assume that any adult male in Gaza is a terrorist threat is not and should not be the policy of the Israelis.

So, are you arguing that it is understandable or also justified? Because even the IDF admits it is unjustified by saying it it against their rules of engagement.
Justified is a very subjective thing. But it's definitely understandable. The Israeli soldiers were up against a vicious enemy which doesn't recognize any problem with sneak attacks by non-uniformed combatants. It was a mistake, but an understandable one in the midst of a war zone.
Tom

So, are you arguing that it is understandable or also justified? Because even the IDF admits it is unjustified by saying it it against their rules of engagement.
Justified is a very subjective thing. But it's definitely understandable. The Israeli soldiers were up against a vicious enemy which doesn't recognize any problem with sneak attacks by non-uniformed combatants. It was a mistake, but an understandable one in the midst of a war zone.
Tom
Yes. I’m not arguing against the understandable aspect of it. However, I believe that those entrusted with weapons of death have a responsibility to be better than that. A similar theme with American police.

Yes. I’m not arguing against the understandable aspect of it. However, I believe that those entrusted with weapons of death have a responsibility to be better than that. A similar theme with American police.
I find it telling that you brought up U.S. police instead of the other involved party here, Gazans and their leadership.
Tom

I find it telling that you brought up U.S. police instead of the other involved party here, Gazans and their leadership.
Tom
What do you think it is telling you?

I think my point was simple and clear and should not be taken to mean more than I stated. Anything you think you are inferring beyond that is your own issue not mine.

That you don't think Palestinians capable of being rational or live in peace with Israel. The soft racism of low expectations.

Frankly, I don't either. It's not about ethnicity, it's about the violent culture and scripture. They kinda remind me of the U.S. Christians who feel persecuted when people push back against their dumbassery.
The rational thing for Gazans to do would be stop attacking Israel. Then Israel would stop responding to violent assaults. Everyone benefits. But I don't see that happening.
Tom

Tom
Not telling at all. Shadowy Man, to my recollection, hasn't condoned actions of violence by Hamas... and as such it shouldn't be required for them to speak against violent acts by Hamas.

Meanwhile...
article said:
Hamas said in a joint statement Thursday that it would not agree to release more hostages until Israel stops its attacks on Gaza.

“There is a Palestinian decision that no dialogue regarding hostages nor exchange deals will take place until after a comprehensive halt of aggression,” said the statement.

So here is the problem. Hamas launched a vile attack on civilians and captured a lot of hostages. I think the UN is right to pressure Israel on its military actions in Gaza. But the UN has to be more so on Hamas and their allies to give up the hostages. What is so worrisome is that Hamas says they'll release more hostages when the attacks stop. "More". More hostages. The UN needs to demand their release period, not "more" but rather "all". Israel agrees to stop violence... what, 25 more hostages released? Tit for tat with hostages like this is the 80s. Hamas gives up 10 here, 11 there? That has to stop!

The UN must be demanding terms and conditions for the release of all of the hostages, and stop this pussyfooting.

That you don't think Palestinians capable of being rational or live in peace with Israel. The soft racism of low expectations.
That is the 2nd time you’ve flung that nasty slander out of nowhere. It is pretty itonic given your persistent vicious generalisations about Gazans.

The West Bank Palestinians are trying to live in peace but the Israeli settlers in that area continue to attack them while the Israeli authorities do nothing

I don’t know how you got that from what I said. I was commenting on the IDF soldiers shooting apparently and actually innocent people.

I will repeat my point: I believe that those entrusted with the use of deadly weapons have a responsibility to not shoot without adequate threat assessments. Apparently the IDF agrees because they admitted these soldiers’ actions violated their rules of engagement.

I brought up the American police because there have been many similar incidents in which police officers have killed innocent people without proper threat assessments.

I will repeat my point: I believe that those entrusted with the use of deadly weapons have a responsibility to not shoot without adequate threat assessments. Apparently the IDF agrees because they admitted these soldiers’ actions violated their rules of engagement.
Does that include Gazans?
Tom

Tom
Also, does Shadowy Man beat his wife?

Tom

I don't know.
Does his post include everyone with a weapon, or is it only Israeli soldiers that are expected to follow that?
Tom

Tom
I view Hamas as a terrorist organization rather than a legitimate law enforcement organization so it is likely that their rules of engagement are to kill innocent civilians, as demonstrated by their actions on October 7th. The comparison breaks down in this way.

However, I also recognize that not all Gazans are Hamas terrorists.

Tom

I don't know.
Does his post include everyone with a weapon, or is it only Israeli soldiers that are expected to follow that?
Tom
Not everyone with a weapon has been entrusted by the State to use them. I am speaking specifically to those that have. I expect criminals won’t follow the same rules as law enforcement. That’s partly what makes them criminals. But military/police shouldn’t act like criminals simply because they carry the same weapons and may encounter said criminals. They have sworn to protect and serve and thus have a responsibility to not kill innocent people.

I’m not discussing the responsibilities of criminals with their weapons. I’m assuming that if they were using their weapons responsibly they wouldn’t be criminals.

I apologize that my point has been so difficult to understand. I also know that it is a controversial opinion on this board.

Last edited:
Tom

I don't know.
Tom
You are working way too hard to find something disagreeable with their statement.

You are working way too hard to find something disagreeable with their statement.
I'm a pro-life peacenik.

So I asked, "Should Gazans be held to the same standards that Israelis are?"
And the response was to change the subject.
Tom

I'm a pro-life peacenik.

Tom
No one changed the subject. Shadowy Man’s meaning was clear - anyone entrusted” includes Gazans because they are obviously part of anyone.

I'm a pro-life peacenik.

Tom
Yes, Gazans should not kill innocent civilians either. But the fact that Hamas will doesn’t thusly make it justifiable for Israelis to do so in return.

Back
Top Bottom