• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gender Roles

Emily isn't "women". Emily is Emily. There sure are other women you think like Emily, but neither of us knows how numerous they are and pretending otherwise is dishonest.
Emily is rather tired of men telling women what women should be happy with, rather than actually granting us the basic humanity of forming our own opinions without male oversight.
I'm seeing a lot of different positions among women in discussions like this, including in this thread. I'm also seeing a lot of men who are quite vocal in the "keep the trannies out" camp, some of them with a history of advocating strongly anti-feminist positions on other topics. Painting this as an issue where (all or nearly all) want one thing and men push against them is either naive or dishonest.
I wasn't speaking as if this is a universal issue. Note that I said I was tired of it. I suppose that me referring to myself in the third person was confusing, but I really thought it was pretty clear.
Maybe you weren't. Bomb was.
I thought I'd repeatedly made it clear I'm not in the "keep the trannies out" camp but the "respect women's preferences" camp, and that I was reporting the preferences of the women who've shared their opinions with me. To whatever extent women want to let the people you call "trannies" in, they have my blessing. If the women in my monkeysphere are an atypical minority and most women are less upset by self-ID practices than the ones I know, so be it -- my friends don't own the world's ladies' rooms -- but I will not take any man's word for it that that is the case.

As far as "a history of advocating strongly anti-feminist positions on other topics", if you're talking about me, I don't know what history or positions you're referring to. It's true I'm not a feminist, but let me be very clear on that point. In my long-ago formative youth, there wasn't yet any "feminism" in the general meme-scape; there was just women's liberation. Likewise, there weren't any "sexists", just male chauvinist pigs, nor "racists", just bigots. It was a saner time. This modern insistence on turning everything and its brother into an "ism" is a pathology. I am absolutely a women's-libber. If you think I have a history of advocating strongly anti-women's-lib positions on any topic, show your work.
I wasn't referring to you there. The "in this thread" qualifier was attached to "women with different positions", not to "men with a history of advocating strongly anti-feminist positions", those are only claimed to live "in discussions like this". We've had a handful of posters who regularly started threads with the general tone of "feminists bad bad" over in PD but would go all feminist when talking about Muslims and trans people. Not sure if they're still active, I avoid that place.
ETA some are still active either as crybullies or doing as you say and only holding up a community for rhetorical purposes, but the worst of them have gotten banned.

Ants do not learn new patterns of behavior from other ants over their lifetime.
They absolutely do!
Every chemical signal is a transfer of info from one individual to another.

What is your definition of “learn” that excludes some such events? I guess you could stipulate that the media and messages involved in learning must be of the sort that humans employ, but to what end?

I said that, to the extent that "biologically female cognition" is a meaningful concept, which I find a highly debatable notion,
Every notion in science is debatable -- that's kind of the difference between faith and science -- but if you mean you find it unlikely to be correct, that strikes me as a reversion to pre-Copernican attitudes of human centrality. "Biologically female cognition" is a perfectly meaningful concept in lions, in ducks, in alligators, in lemurs, in baboons, in gorillas.
it certainly is if you consider behaviour and cognition as isomorphic. I'm not sure that's a notion most cognitive scientists today would subscribe to.
Why the heck would it suddenly stop being meaningful in humans? The opinion that it isn't meaningful in humans appears to be a politically motivated meme.
How many of these species' recent evolution includes a fairly rapid decrease of sexual dimorphism, plausibly triggered by the ancestral male behavioral phenotype becoming maladaptive? I expanded on why I think humans' does probably sneering like 20 pages back. You even liked that particular part if I remember correctly.
it is biologically plausible that otherwise male individuals with a "biologically female cognition" exist at rates well above more visible intersex conditions and make up a significant share of the m2f transgendered community. To this, @Bomb#20 (not me) raised the objection that crime rates among m2f transgendered individuals seem to suggest otherwise. My objection to his objection is that it seems to have the hidden premise that crime rates among transgender identified males are the same as those of other males because of "biology", a premise I don't think we can take for granted because there are other things that aren't equal between the two groups, some if which are independently known to affect crime rates.
Not asking you to take it for granted, just to be realistic about your Bayesian prior for the hypothesis. We see higher rates of male than female violence all over the simian clade. In the absence of specific evidence to the contrary, biology is the more parsimonious explanation.
In the words of the master: "trans women" is a polyphyletic category. It includes individuals with partial androgen insensitivity that were diagnosed as boys at birth but have since pragmatically chosen to present as women because their entirely inconspicuous female appearance absent any intervention would raise to many eyebrows when presenting a men; individuals who, by choice, have been and continue to be under a female-typical hormone regime since before their physical development completed; individuals who started doing so at a later age; and individuals who fit neither of the above and basically just applied for a legal name change and wear skirts. Expecting all of these disparate groups to have the same level of innate criminal inclination as each other and as cis males doesn't seem particularly plausible biologically, and if we do find such similar levels after lumping all those groups, that's pretty much a giveaway that biology isn't the only factor.

None of that denies that the higher crime rates of typical males vis a vis typical females are to a large degree rooted in biology.

They absolutely do!

What is your definition of “learn” that excludes some such events? I guess you could stipulate that the media and messages involved in learning must be of the sort that humans employ, but to what end?
Politesse didn't just say "learn", but "learn new patterns of behavior". Obtaining information about a food source or a foe from a conspecific and doing exactly as you would do if you'd found out yourself isn't learning in that sense. It isn't a new pattern of behaviour, it's applying an innate pattern to a situation you might otherwise be unaware of.

They absolutely do!

Politesse didn't just say "learn", but "learn new patterns of behavior". Obtaining information about a food source or a foe from a conspecific and doing exactly as you would do if you'd found out yourself isn't learning in that sense. It isn't a new pattern of behaviour, it's applying an innate pattern to a situation you might otherwise be unaware of.
If that's the case, humans don't learn rather, because none of our patterns of behavior are "new" either.

Also, I'm not sure ants don't between them in some way, time, or context accomplishing fairly high level thought and learning through processes that might be very hard for humans to model because the amoubt of apparent movement and reconfiguration.

Bees certainly do learn from each other and teach, and we have no reason to believe that they can't innovate or "make happy mistakes" and keep doing those things.

At some point ants did START farming, and they kept doing that, to the extent that it's a common practice among varieties of ants.

This at best indicates that learning among ants is slow, and often tied to their biological configuration at birth, but it is for humans, too. How many as a percentage of the human species have actually been the ones who moved us forward as Plato, Euler, and the like?

Ant colonies are as numerous as humans and I suspect you would find such a t colonies as rare as such humans. You could potentially look forever and not find an ants (an, and antS both intentional) capable of learning. You could absolutely do that with humans.

Humans are remarkably boring usually.

Obtaining information about a food source or a foe from a conspecific and doing exactly as you would do if you'd found out yourself isn't learning in that sense.
That is not what happens. The ant culture dictates that if you find a food source, your behavior will be/will have been different than if you were chemically “told” what to do. That it has taken millions of years for cultural compliance to become so uniform, is not a difference in the nature of “learning”, societally speaking.

Ant culture can be rapidly adaptive too, as has been noted since Zog invented picnics.

ETA: what Jarhyn said

Obtaining information about a food source or a foe from a conspecific and doing exactly as you would do if you'd found out yourself isn't learning in that sense.
That is not what happens. The ant culture dictates that if you find a food source, your behavior will be/will have been different than if you were chemically “told” what to do. That it has taken millions of years for cultural compliance to become so uniform, is not a difference in the nature of “learning”, societally speaking.

Ant culture can be rapidly adaptive too, as has been noted since Zog invented picnics.

ETA: what Jarhyn said
I would fully expect that among ants, there's a kind of endogenous encoding. Any largescale ant redistribution would be very ill informed indeed. It would take a fair bit of introducing groups of ants into new environments and studying their successfulness, and doing this would be very environmentally destructive if any "took root" in these new and strange settings with innovative strategies or behaviors.

As a result, it's not something we can or should study.

Then, this is a discussion on genders, and ants do gender very differently.

I would fully expect that among ants, there's a kind of endogenous encoding. Any largescale ant redistribution would be very ill informed indeed.

Heh. There are probably hundreds of red ant colonies on my property. I used to hate ‘em but they are the main organism turning over soil in the sandy areas. Even local redistribution is … ill advised if you’re an ant. Years ago I took a big bucketload out of an anthill and scooped it into another anthill that was only about four yards away.
In the ensuing ant bloodbath, I think the involuntary invaders won; months later the invaded ant hill looked dormant while the one I had scooped out had been leveled off and was bustling. I figure the invaders got to their queen, which is a struggle even for a small backhoe.

They absolutely do!

If that's the case, humans don't learn rather, because none of our patterns of behavior are "new" either.

Also, I'm not sure ants don't between them in some way, time, or context accomplishing fairly high level thought and learning through processes that might be very hard for humans to model because the amoubt of apparent movement and reconfiguration.

Bees certainly do learn from each other and teach, and we have no reason to believe that they can't innovate or "make happy mistakes" and keep doing those things.

At some point ants did START farming, and they kept doing that, to the extent that it's a common practice among varieties of ants.
Ants have been farming aphids for millions of years. That doesn't imply they have a culture of farming, the way humans have. When the Spanish brought sheep to the new world in the 16th century, the Diné/Navajo quickly learned to farm them, but that is not instinctive behaviour. If you'd parachuted an extended family of Diné onto a deserted Island with a feral sheep population in the 15th century, they'd have hunted them, not farmed, because humans do not have a farming instinct, they have a farming culture. Conversely, if you take a colony of ants of a species that has a mutualistic relationship with aphids in the wild and raise them in an aphid-free environment for several generations, they will start farming the aphids the moment you introduce them into their environment - because ant farming is instinctive, not cultural.

Ants have been farming aphids for millions of years. That doesn't imply they have a culture of farming, the way humans have.
Right. It implies humans have developed a culture of farming, the way ants have for millions of years. But much much faster.

Hey, Jokodo - they’re ants! You can’t expect too much from them, but it’s the same stuff.

Bees certainly do learn from each other and teach
Bees most certainly do learn information from one another, this has also been exhaustively demonstrated.

It really really annoys me when people tell me what they think science "should" find or "will" find or "must" find or "ought" to find instead of just looking up what it did find.

Ants have been farming aphids for millions of years. That doesn't imply they have a culture of farming, the way humans have.
Right. It implies humans have developed a culture of farming, the way ants have for millions of years. But much much faster.

Hey, Jokodo - they’re ants! You can’t expect too much from them, but it’s the same stuff.
It's a similar result produced by a very different process. In one case, evolution of instincts, in the other case, learned behavior based on, but qualitatively different from instincts.

It's a similar result produced by a very different process. In one case, evolution of instincts, in the other case, learned behavior based on, but qualitatively different from instincts.
Ants are still Hymenopterae. We don't know what got ants started on farming, and we do know class Hymenoptera has a wide variety of learning behaviors. Some learn, some don't.

I prefer to think of what is potentially available for science to find, especially since at one point science didn't find evidence for dogs having the capability to learn or use language... until someone showed evidence that they did.

Ants have neurons, and those neurons reconfigure over time, and trigger pheromone signals based on those configurations AND reconfigurations. This can very well serve as a platform for emulating a neuron in a network and ants often comprise largescale networks.

We are only recently discovering mycelium networks forming, and high level language among dolphins.

I'm much more concerned with NOT making such statements as X doesn't learn/think/experience because these are pretty commonly disproven.

Stick, instead, to describing what we know they do and allowing the hypothetical may, with its grain of salt, rather than assuming what they can't, is all I ask.

Conversely, if you raise a colony of ants of a species that has a mutualistic relationship with aphids in the wild in an aphid-free environment, they will start farming the aphids the moment you introduce them into their environment - because ant farming is instinctive, not cultural.
Hmmm. Are you sure? Has the “instinct” not changed over millions of years? Is it not responsive to the environment?

How is “learned behavior” not an outcome of evolution? Humans’ behavior is very apparently (to me) as instinct-driven as any other organism’s.
The fact that we observe and extrapolate to a degree and at a speed unknown to us elsewhere in the biosphere, doesn’t mean that our whole culture set does not embody part and parcel of what drives all biota.

Conversely, if you raise a colony of ants of a species that has a mutualistic relationship with aphids in the wild in an aphid-free environment, they will start farming the aphids the moment you introduce them into their environment - because ant farming is instinctive, not cultural.
Hmmm. Are you sure? Has the “instinct” not changed over millions of years? Is it not responsive to the environment?
Of course it has, that's what evolution does.

How is “learned behavior” not an outcome of evolution?
The capacity to learn, the processes by which learning (and more rarely, though prominently in humans, teaching) occur, and the possibility space of what can be learned by a given organism, are.

The content of what is being learned, within the limits of what's learnable for a particular species, isn't.

That's why we call it "learned behaviour".

Of course it has, that's what evolution does.

How is “learned behavior” not an outcome of evolution?
The capacity to learn, the processes by which learning (and more rarely, though prominently in humans, teaching) occur, and the possibility space of what can be learned by a given organism, are.

The content of what is being learned, within the limits of what's learnable for a particular species, isn't.

That's why we call it "learned behaviour".
Of course, as is usually the case in biology, there is a fuzzy line and feedback loops galore. Back in the pleistocene, when some wolf packs learned to exploit human leftovers, staying close to humans without attacking them or provoking attacks was a culturally learned behaviour among wolves. It was however a learned behaviour that changed the selection pressures, and within possibly as little as a few dozen generations, what would become our dogs had evolved the genetic basis for increased docility towards humans - but we still need to train dogs we want to keep as pets in the house.

When some packs of humans started to farm and eat large quantities of tubers and grains in the early to mid holocene, that was a culturally learned behaviour. It still is today, but natural selection has equipped their descendents with multiple copies of our ancestral genes coding for starch digesting enzymes.

Then there are cases where the relevant aspect of the species' environment are so stable and/ or the possibility space for the learned behaviour so narrow that the end result is basically constant, in which case the specific learned behaviour becomes the phenotype on which selection acts. To distinguish such cases from (cultural) learning proper, they are sometimes referred to as "maturation", but of course there's no sharp dividing line and whenever a subpopulation moves into a novel environment or even just undergoes a cultural change, a different outcome may ensue.

Everything you discuss above, Jokodo, is about spectra, fuzzy definitions and a continuum.
I still see nothing qualitative that sets us, or “higher life forms”, apart from ants.
Evolution still rules. Where “culture” improves reproductive success, there is “culture”.
/apology for thread drift

Evolution still rules. Where “culture” improves reproductive success, there is “culture”.
/apology for thread drift
Wherever interindividual learning is faithful enough to produce recogisable shared patterns of behaviour beyond the instinctive ones, there is culture. It is probably true that in most instances, the capacity for social learning was and continues to be selected because of the benefits of culture, but improving reproductive success isn't itself a necessary and sufficient condition for culture - faithful social learning is. Social learning is, in apes, arguably selected because it allows a culture of making elaborate tools or a culture of knowing which plants are edible, which are poisonous, and which are beneficial for certain woes without almost killing yourself a dozen times while finding out. The culture of making up deities and ostracising anyone who doesn't believe in the same set, or of getting outraged when strangers sie their ankles or consume beef, are arguably an unintended side effect of that tendency and themselves maladaptive.

Evolution does rule, but evolution doesn't dictate that Everything that is is adaptive, nor that everything that would be adaptive eventually emerges. That's not the scientific theory of evolution, that's hyperadaptationist folklore.

Wherever interindividual learning is faithful enough to produce recogisable shared patterns of behaviour beyond the instinctive ones, there is culture.
Okay, i was with you right up to “beyond the instinctive”, which is not only undefined, but may well be undefinable.
improving reproductive success isn't itself a necessary and sufficient condition for culture
That has not been demonstrated afaik. The “sufficient” part is almost certainly correct, but obviously reproductive success is necessary for the continuation of the population.

faithful social learning is

I take issue with the use of fuzzy adjectives in this context. I buy into “learning is”, where many members of a culture learn the same behavior.

The culture of making up deities and ostracising anyone who doesn't believe in the same set, or of getting outraged when strangers sie their ankles or consume beef, are arguably an unintended side effect of that tendency and themselves maladaptive.
When a behavior becomes detrimental to a group’s reproductive success, it has become maladaptive. Over enough time, the changes in a dynamic fitness landscape renders almost all behaviors maladaptive. (It can happen fast, too, as with the rise of “NONEs” in the US rendering certain religious behaviors maladaptive in an evolutionary nanosecond)
Evolution does rule, but evolution doesn't dictate that Everything that is is adaptive, or that everything that would be adaptive eventually emerges.
Agreed. Evolution guarantees NO outcome other than change. But it is guaranteed to occur continuously within any population of imperfect self replicators, as long as that population persists within a dynamic environment.

I am still not seeing any way to reliably distinguish and isolate cultural behavior from instinctive behavior.

BUT, let me add that I am delighted with how you’re making me think about this, especially since it’s only tangential to the thread. THX!

Last edited:
Wherever interindividual learning is faithful enough to produce recogisable shared patterns of behaviour beyond the instinctive ones, there is culture.
Okay, i was with you right up to “beyond the instinctive”, which is not only undefined, but may well be undefinable.
I don't think it's that hard to define. An instinctive behaviour is one that requires no environmental input, or only very unspecific input, to emerge, and, within the "normal" range of environments, doesn't co-vary with variation in the environment. To circle back to gender roles, soccer being a girls' sport is clearly not instinctive - it's a boys' sport in much of the rest of the world, including the places where most Americans' ancestors hail from. Men being more prone to violence than women may well be (partly) instinct driven - it appears to be fairly universal among the cultures that have been described by ethnographers, though the details vary significantly.
improving reproductive success isn't itself a necessary and sufficient condition for culture
That has not been demonstrated afaik. The “sufficient” part is almost certainly correct, but obviously reproductive success is necessary for the continuation of the population.
Reproductive success is indeed necessary for the continuation of the population, but that doesn't say that a population that has culture cannot thrive if the culture itself doesn't contribute to reproductive success.
faithful social learning is

I take issue with the use of fuzzy adjectives in this context. I buy into “learning is”, where many members of a culture learn the same behavior.

The culture of making up deities and ostracising anyone who doesn't believe in the same set, or of getting outraged when strangers sie their ankles or consume beef, are arguably an unintended side effect of that tendency and themselves maladaptive.
When a behavior becomes detrimental to a group’s reproductive success, it has become maladaptive.
Or it always was maladaptive. This may be more common than we intuitively think, though this also depends on the granularity of the analysis. Tuning down the immune system during pregnancy is arguably adaptive as it allows the fetus to escape being eliminated - but there wasn't a point in our evolutionary history when pregnant women being more susceptible to infectious diseases than the population average was adaptive. Similarly, the capacity of culture was and is adaptive in all apes - if nothing else, since it allows us to learn about edible plants without trial and (potentially lethal) error, but that doesn't imply that religion every was.
Over enough time, the changes in a dynamic fitness landscape renders almost all behaviors maladaptive. (It can happen fast, too, as with the rise of “NONEs” in the US rendering certain religious behaviors maladaptive in an evolutionary nanosecond)
Evolution does rule, but evolution doesn't dictate that Everything that is is adaptive, or that everything that would be adaptive eventually emerges.
Agreed. Evolution guarantees NO outcome other than change. But it is guaranteed to occur continuously within any population of imperfect self replicators, as long as that population persists.

I am still not seeing any way to reliably distinguish and isolate cultural behavior from instinctive behavior.
It's going to be a fuzzy border. We're talking biology after all. But see my attempt above.
BUT, let me add that I am delighted with how you’re making me think about this, especially since it’s only tangential to the thread. THX!

Back
Top Bottom