• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

General trailer discussion

Sure, advertisements, but a paywall? For a show featuring an idealized society without money? That's just funny.

And if it's not available for free later, then I guess I won't watch it.
Society without money? I guess it would be ok if you could pay with "latinum".

You want it for free, just pirate it. As easy as using a replicator.

I'm not saying for free. I get that advertisements need to pay for it, but a paywall is ironic given the content of the show.

And the latinum is used by the Ferengi, who are used to mock aggressive, unfettered capitalism of the kind espoused by Republicans.

The good news: Joss Whedon will be taking over for Zach Snyder for Justice League.

The bad news: it's probably too late in the production process for Joss to have much impact.

The worse news: Snyder is leaving the project because of a horrific personal tragedy. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Snowflake trigger warning: this is a teaser for a movie that does not star a white male protagonist, and will therefore trigger more sensitive conservative and libertarian (who are completely different, honest) viewers. If you accidentally click play, I would advise that you watch the original black and white Birth of a Nation over and over until your crying fits stop.

Shuri looks amazing. It's sad that because of the copyright pissing match between FOX and Marvel, we will never get to watch Shuri make Dr Doom kneel.

Shuri looks amazing. It's sad that because of the copyright pissing match between FOX and Marvel, we will never get to watch Shuri make Dr Doom kneel.

And we won't get Storm either (no, that was Ramonda). It was interesting to see the designer discuss every culture she incorporated into her designs (eg. the Dora Milaje outfits were based on the Masai).

Snowflake trigger warning: this is a teaser for a movie that does not star a white male protagonist, and will therefore trigger more sensitive conservative and libertarian (who are completely different, honest) viewers. If you accidentally click play, I would advise that you watch the original black and white Birth of a Nation over and over until your crying fits stop.

If it is as good as Menace II Society then I will watch it twice.

Fantastic Four movie news!

That's right, after the endless series of disasters, FOX is making yet another Fantastic Four movie, this time with the main characters reimagined as children. You know what? I never liked the FF comic, but at this point even I feel violated.

Of course we know that FOX is doing this to thumb their noses at Marvel. They don't actually care of the movies are any good or even if they make money as long as they can keep certain copyrights away from Marvel. In light of the recent buzz about the upcoming Black Panther movie, let's consider the cost of this copyright hissy fit just on the Black Panther movies.

We will never see[ent]hellip[/ent]
  • T'Challa fighting the entire Fantastic Four by himself
  • Science bro moments between Reed Richards and T'Challa
  • Latveria-Wakanda war
  • Dora Milaje vs Doombots
  • Shuri forcing Dr Doom to kneel in submission
  • T'Challa hiring Deadpool to assassinate Dr Doom (yes, that really happened)

We're going to miss all those big deal moments so that FOX can make a kiddie version of the Fantastic Four that we all know is going to be a terrible movie? I want to cry.

Oh, and outside of Black Panther, we will never see Avengers vs Galactus. The X-Men will not train Misty Knight. Beast will never join the Avengers. No Squirrel Girl versus Galactus. Jean Grey will not provide therapy for Jessica Jones.

At this point, I'm almost hoping for bad Fantastic Four movies. It's been an amazing streak of bad movies, one after another, and it would be a shame to break it.

Spider-Man: Homecoming currently has 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 73% from Metacritic. I'm guessing it will be comparable to but slightly worse than Wonder Woman.

That's right, after the endless series of disasters, FOX is making yet another Fantastic Four movie, this time with the main characters reimagined as children. You know what? I never liked the FF comic, but at this point even I feel violated.

Of course we know that FOX is doing this to thumb their noses at Marvel. They don't actually care of the movies are any good or even if they make money as long as they can keep certain copyrights away from Marvel. In light of the recent buzz about the upcoming Black Panther movie, let's consider the cost of this copyright hissy fit just on the Black Panther movies.

• Latveria-Wakanda war

We're going to miss all those big deal moments so that FOX can make a kiddie version of the Fantastic Four that we all know is going to be a terrible movie? I want to cry.

Oh, and outside of Black Panther, we will never see Avengers vs Galactus. The X-Men will not train Misty Knight. Beast will never join the Avengers. No Squirrel Girl versus Galactus. Jean Grey will not provide therapy for Jessica Jones.

Yeah, that's a bunch of nonsense.

You ready for this...

I think I like Black Panther more than Batman.

• Latveria-Wakanda war

Yeah, that's a bunch of nonsense.

You ready for this...

I think I like Black Panther more than Batman.

I have a hard time choosing between the two.

In general, Marvel characters are more flawed than DC characters, but Batman is flawed even by Marvel standards. He's borderline crazy, and that makes him genuinely interesting. He's certainly more flawed than T'Challa.

But then T'Challa is more interesting as an empowerment fantasy, which Batman can't touch. As a child I wondered what Africa might have been like without European colonialism. It's too bad that I never read a Black Panther comic book until adulthood, as I'm sure I would have adored it as a child. It's a really kick ass empowerment fantasy, at least for me.

Also, the intrigue is good. Theoretically, the selling point of the Inhumans is political intrigue among the royal family, but the intrigue among the Inhumans always bored me (for those who never read it, it's basically Game of Thrones, but without the killing, which is as boring as that sounds). I generally find the intrigue in Wakanda a lot more interesting.

T'Challa's superpowers that are directly related to combat (strength, speed, etc.) are actually kind of weak, so he relies on superior combat skill and a superior grasp of tactics (much like Captain America and Winter Soldier), but half of the fun is the long list of other powers and abilities. For instance the ability to consult with every dead Black Panther is a pretty badass superpower for a head of state when you think about it.

Slight correction to a previous comment: the fact that Jessica Jones can't call on the X-Men for help is actually a good thing.

For starters, the X-Men is crawling with telepaths. You can't swing a dead cat in the X-Mansion without hitting a telepath or three. If the MCU was connected to the X-Men universe, then we would have spent the entirety of the Jessica Jones show yelling at the screen "Why doesn't Jessica just call the X-Men? Any telepath could make mincemeat out of Purple Man!" The lack of X-Men made the villain a lot more terrifying.

Furthermore, Jean Grey providing therapy might be a bad thing. The showrunner for Jessica Jones also worked on Dexter, and she points out that curing Dexter was when that show became uninteresting. You need to preserve the central flaws of the main character to keep the audience's interest.

Slight correction to a previous comment: the fact that Jessica Jones can't call on the X-Men for help is actually a good thing.

For starters, the X-Men is crawling with telepaths. You can't swing a dead cat in the X-Mansion without hitting a telepath or three. If the MCU was connected to the X-Men universe, then we would have spent the entirety of the Jessica Jones show yelling at the screen "Why doesn't Jessica just call the X-Men? Any telepath could make mincemeat out of Purple Man!" The lack of X-Men made the villain a lot more terrifying.

Furthermore, Jean Grey providing therapy might be a bad thing. The showrunner for Jessica Jones also worked on Dexter, and she points out that curing Dexter was when that show became uninteresting. You need to preserve the central flaws of the main character to keep the audience's interest.

LOL, you really thought that one through.

I think you hit on my only real problem with Batman - he's genuinely in need of serious help for whatever's bothering him. T'CHalla has issues, but he's a king, so of course he would. Then again, I also like many of the characters, Wakanda as a general environment, and the fact that Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the comics.

LOL, you really thought that one through.

I think you hit on my only real problem with Batman - he's genuinely in need of serious help for whatever's bothering him. T'CHalla has issues, but he's a king, so of course he would. Then again, I also like many of the characters, Wakanda as a general environment, and the fact that Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the comics.

If insane in the membrane protagonists is your thing, then I have a recommendation for you!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manhwa/Priest

You might remember the actress from AT&T commercials:

I would personally prefer an actress who was a bit heavy-set to be honest.

Avengers trailer was shown at D23, but not out in public yet. Features Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Spider-Man, Thanos, Captain America (no longer in uniform) and Iron Man.

Can't wait to see it!

And here is the excessively long Justice League Comic Con trailer:

Judging from the look of it it's going to be two or three hours of people looking ominously into the sky. Or at curtains. Or water. Or each other, this is a team-up movie after all. But why is J. Jonah Jameson suddenly all okay with superheroes, after all the nasty stuff he's said about Spider-Man? So out of character.

Back
Top Bottom