• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Government shutdown again?

Our Constitution was taught, back when I was in high school, as some sort of miracle substance, a perfectly balanced, uniquely functional, sustaining essence of our freedoms and way of life. The GOP has educated us all on that viewpoint.

Our Constitution was taught, back when I was in high school, as some sort of miracle substance, a perfectly balanced, uniquely functional, sustaining essence of our freedoms and way of life. The GOP has educated us all on that viewpoint.
Yup. It’s not the salve we were sold. More like an owner’s manual for an extremely cranky machine.

Yup. It’s not the salve we were sold. More like an incomplete owner’s manual for an extremely cranky machine.
FTFY

Yet to bring it around to the original topic, the far right of the GOP in the House is currently losing their collective minds over the fact that their far right choice to be Speaker has cut a deal with Democrats to keep the government running for a few months.
I understand your point and agree. Just pointing out that this language whereby compromise legislation is referred to as cutting a deal is harmful. It makes it sound smarmy and criminal. This ain't no sporting contest despite what right-wing, diaper-wearing crybabies want us all to think. Clearly these crybabies think that government and legislating is just for them.

When dealing with Democrats and Republicans instead of statemen, "cut a deal" seems pretty appropriate.

For all the fear mongering about shutdowns, let me know when the IRS, the DEA, and the FBI close their doors and the elected officials aren't paid.

When dealing with Democrats and Republicans instead of statemen, "cut a deal" seems pretty appropriate.

For all the fear mongering about shutdowns, let me know when the IRS, the DEA, and the FBI close their doors and the elected officials aren't paid.
You know, and I know you know, and you know that I know that you know,
That elected officials’ pay is part of the constitution, not the budget process.

So why the disingenuous complaint?

You know, and I know you know, and you know that I know that you know,
That elected officials’ pay is part of the constitution, not the budget process.

So why the disingenuous complaint?
You can focus just on that part, or you can also tell me when the FBI, DEA, and IRS stop doing business.

Right-wingers like QOPAnon (and LP?) are decidedly "anti-crime." Cutting the FBI is a very recent idea, begun with the idea that a "deep state" is out to get their Messiah, Donald Trump.

Evisceration of the IRS, otoh, is an on-going campaign, now already a fait accompli. IRS full-time-equivalent enforcement staff was 50,400 in 2010; this was reduced to a mere 33,500 by 2019. That is a MUCH bigger cut than almost any other major agency suffered.

What makes the IRS cuts so laughably contemptible is that it was done in the name of "saving taxpayer dollars!" In fact the IRS is a big "profit center"! A good IRS examiner is worth his weight in gold. Whatever we might think about the tax code, it is the Law of the Land. The IRS enforcement methods are NOT aimed at bilking money from innocent citizens, but rather at combating fraud and crime. But right-wing parties like QOPAnon and LP are happy to support crime . . . as long as the crime is tax evasion.

There's enough juvenile stupidity in this response to compose at least a few sets of encyclopedias.

Last edited:

Right-wingers like QOPAnon (and LP?) are decidedly "anti-crime." Cutting the FBI is a very recent idea, begun with the idea that a "deep state" is out to get their Messiah, Donald Trump.

Evisceration of the IRS, otoh, is an on-going campaign, now already a fait accompli. IRS full-time-equivalent enforcement staff was 50,400 in 2010; this was reduced to a mere 33,500 by 2019. That is a MUCH bigger cut than almost any other major agency suffered.

What makes the IRS cuts so laughably contemptible is that it was done in the name of "saving taxpayer dollars!" In fact the IRS is a big "profit center"! A good IRS examiner is worth his weight in gold. Whatever we might think about the tax code, it is the Law of the Land. The IRS enforcement methods are NOT aimed at bilking money from innocent citizens, but rather at combating fraud and crime. But right-wing parties like QOPAnon and LP are happy to support crime . . . as long as the crime is tax evasion.
My comment wasn't "we need to cut the FBI". My comment was "I'll believe we have a shutdown when the FBI closes its doors". Same thing for the IRS. Way to not address my points at all.

My comment wasn't "we need to cut the FBI". My comment was "I'll believe we have a shutdown when the FBI closes its doors". Same thing for the IRS. Way to not address my points at all.

Your understanding of shutdowns is WRONG: Shutdowns DO happen, typically lasting for a few days. IRS DOES get partially shut down. Even "emergency" services like Homeland Security get PARTIALLY shut down. I interpreted your comment to mean that you wanted Security TOTALLY shut down. Whatever your detailed opinion is/was, it was blatantly confused and silly and I saw no need to deal with it in detail.

BUT, since your message-board model seems to be that we discuss each other's opinion, let me ask yet one more time:

What will we use for money after President Gary Johnson dissolves the FRB?

At the risk of giving offense, your continued refusal to address this question calls your cognitive apparatus into question.

Something I didn't catch.

Senate passes short-term funding bill to avert government shutdown - ABC News - February 29, 2024, 6:05 PM

"The Senate on Thursday passed a short-term funding bill that averts a partial government shutdown that was expected late Friday night." - March 1

It bumps the paired deadlines of March 1 and March 8 up to March 8 and March 22.

H.R.7463 - 118th Congress (2023-2024): Extension of Continuing Appropriations and Other Matters Act, 2024 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Vote in the House
R: Y 113, N 97, nv 9
D: Y 207, N 2, nv 4
Ttl: Y 220, N 99, nv 13

Vote in the Senate
R: Y 27, N 13, nv 9
D: Y 47, nv 1
I: Y 3
Ttl: Y 77, N 13, nv 10

Almost all Democrats voted for this bill and only 1/2 - 2/3 of Republicans.

They've got something like 6 smaller spending bills to pass. This is quite ridiculous.

Congressional leaders come out with 6 spending bills in a drive to avoid a partial shutdown - ABC News - March 3, 2024, 2:55 PM - "Congressional leaders have come out with a package of six bills setting full-year spending levels for some federal agencies"

House passes funding bills to avert partial government shutdown - ABC News - March 6, 2024, 1:30 PM - "The funding package now heads to the Senate."

House passes $460 billion package of spending bills. Senate expected to act before shutdown deadline - ABC News - March 6, 2024, 9:50 AM - "The House has passed a $460 billion package of spending bills that would keep money flowing to key federal agencies through the remainder of the budget year"

I looked for a 339-85 vote and I found this vote
R: Y 132, N 83, nv 4
D: Y 207, N 2, nv 4
Ttl: Y 339, N 85, nv 8

Two Democrats voted against it. One of them issued this statement: Congressman Maxwell Alejandro Frost on X: "Thanks to House Dems … (pic link)" / X
Thanks to House Dems H.Res. 1061 will help us protect some of our most vital social programs and keep the government open, avoiding a catastrophic shutdown.

While I acknowledge that difficult decisions had to be made to achieve this deal, and I was ready to support a bipartisan compromise, this bill includes a Republican poison pill that would be the greatest rollback of background checks for gun purchasers in the recent history of our country.

My constituents sent me to Congress to move gun violence prevention efforts forward, not backwards. Read my statement here
noting in a screenshot image
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today, Congressman Maxwell Alejandro Frost (FL-10) released a statement on H.Res. 1061 the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2024.

In a statement, Rep. Frost says:

"For over a year, we have watched extremist House Republicans plunge the House of Representatives into total dysfunction as they held our government hostage to try to defund food assistance and affordable housing and enact hateful anti-immigrant and anti-LGBTQ+ policies.

"Today, thanks to Leader Jeffries and my Democratic colleagues on the Appropriations Committee, we have a package that will help us protect some of our most vital social programs and keep the government open, avoiding a catastrophic shutdown.

"While | acknowledge that difficult decisions had to be made to achieve this deal, and I was ready to support a bipartisan compromise, this bill includes a Republican poison pill that, despite Democrats' best efforts, could not be removed.

"H.Res. 1061 features the greatest rollback of background checks for gun purchasers in the recent history of our country. Included in the legislation is a l-year policy change that would allow veterans determined by the VA to be mentally incompetent to be able to buy guns without this mental incompetence ruling showing up in a background check.

"This rollback of background checks could mean that each year, 20,000 people who may not be safe to have access to guns can now easily purchase them.

'As an organizer and survivor, fighting to end gun violence has been the fight of my life. A fight that got me all the way to the halls of Congress, where my constituents sent me to represent them as someone from the very district where 49 angles lost their lives at the Pulse Nightclub shooting and a state home to the horrific shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

"I cannot in good conscience support legislation like H.Res. 1061 that takes us three steps back on something as common sense as background checks. I came to Congress to move gun violence prevention efforts forward, not backward.

"I am, however, encouraged that the legislation passed includes funding for all 15 of the Community Project Funding requests I submitted and fought for on behalf of Central Florida. This means my team is one step closer to ensuring that nearly $12 million federal dollars are brought back to the Orlando area to support affordable housing, invest in transportation infrastructure, and support local seniors."

So the pro-business, help the little guy lift up by the bootstraps is all bullshit coming from the clown show rightwing.

Yeah, an almost completely unreported (as far as I've been able to find) side affect of this is that smaller defense and other government contractors are having to have major layoffs or even going out of business because of this constant problem of not getting paid (TM). :(

Found this: https://federalnewsnetwork.com/defe...firms-mainly-because-dod-is-a-tough-customer/

The latest figures NDIA compiled show the Defense market suffered a net loss of 3,300 companies in fiscal year 2021, the latest statistics available. Although more than 8,300 firms sold goods and services to DoD customers for the first time in 2021, even more left the Defense space. The industrial base has been declining every year since 2017, from 76,700 companies in that year to just under 60,000 in 2021.

In NDIA’s survey, 22% of companies said the lack of stability in the federal budget is their biggest challenge.

There’s a lot of money to be made when things/systems operate smoothly.

There’s also a lot of money to be made when systems are disrupted.

It’s just a little weird that (some) military contractors are being hurt by GOP’s hard on to teach the Dems a lesson about just who is in charge.

Follow the money.

I don't honestly think at this point, it's even going that far. They are literally just acting out, and anything that they think makes the current administration look bad is, by definition, good. A decade ago, you might be right, but I don't even think there's any real grift going on. The gop is literally just hurting the country (and a lot of the people hurt are stupid enough to still vote for them).

Back
Top Bottom