• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Government shutdown again?

Once again, the Democrats came to the rescue to at least keep the government running for a little longer. Federal employees, and veterans at least will be paid through the end of the year. Far more Democrats voted to keep the government running, compared to Republicans. Apparently, Republicans don't want to govern and don't give a shit about the people who work for the government or if the poor continue to get help buying groceries etc. But, most of us already knew that.

It's crazy that this is the new way of doing things.............

H.R.6363 - 118th Congress (2023-2024): Further Continuing Appropriations and Other Extensions Act, 2024 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

It uses the split extension that some R's had proposed:
The CR provides funding through January 19, 2024, for agencies and programs that were funded in the following four FY2023 appropriations acts:
  • the Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2023;
  • the Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2023;
  • the Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2023; and
  • the Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2023.
For most other federal agencies and programs, the CR provides funding through February 2, 2024.

The votes:

The votes: Office of the Clerk, U.S. House of Representatives - Vote Details
Nov 14, 2023, 05:46 PM | 118th Congress, 1st Session
Vote Question: On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended
Further Continuing Appropriations and Other Extensions Act, 2024
Vote Type: 2/3 Yea-And-Nay

R: Y 127, N 93, nv 1
D: Y 209, N 2, nv 2
Ttl: Y 336, N 95, nv 3

Voting against it were Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, Paul Gosar, MTG, George Santos.

U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 118th Congress - 1st Session
Question: On Passage of the Bill (H.R. 6363 )
Vote Number: 312
Vote Date: November 15, 2023, 11:00 PM
Required For Majority: 3/5
Vote Result: Bill Passed

R: Y 37, N 10, nv 2
D,I: Y 50, N 1
Ttl: Y 87, N 11, nv 2

House advances resolution to censure Democratic Rep. Jamaal Bowman over fire alarm incident | CNN Politics
The House voted to advance a GOP-led resolution on Wednesday to censure Democratic Rep. Jamaal Bowman of New York for triggering a fire alarm in a House office building when there was not an emergency. A final vote on whether to pass the censure resolution is expected to take place Thursday.

Bowman was caught on tape pulling a fire alarm in the Cannon House Office Building in late September, shortly before the House was scheduled to vote on a government funding bill. The building was subsequently evacuated.

The congressman said following the incident that it had been an accident.

“I was trying to get to a door. I thought the alarm would open the door, and I pulled the fire alarm to open the door by accident,” Bowman said at the time, adding: “I was just trying to get to my vote and the door that’s usually open wasn’t open, it was closed.”
Someone once wanted more than censuring:
H.Res.755 - 118th Congress (2023-2024): Providing for the expulsion of Representative Jamaal Bowman from the House of Representatives. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress - by Rep. Malliotakis, Nicole [R-NY-11] (Introduced 10/02/2023)
It got 16 cosponsors, 15 original, but no further action. Among its cosponsors was MTG.

H.Res.812 - 118th Congress (2023-2024): Censuring Representative Jamaal Bowman. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress - by Rep. McClain, Lisa C. [R-MI-9] (Introduced 10/25/2023)
It got 29 cosponsors, all original, but no further action. MTG cosponsored it again, and NM also cosponsored it.

H.Res.912 - 118th Congress (2023-2024): Censuring Representative Jamaal Bowman. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress - by Rep. McClain, Lisa C. [R-MI-9] (Introduced 12/05/2023)
It got 10 cosponsors, all original. MTG and NM cosponsored it again.

Office of the Clerk, U.S. House of Representatives - Vote Details
Dec 06, 2023, 05:39 PM | 118th Congress, 1st Session
Vote Question: On Motion to Table
Censuring Representative Jamaal Bowman
Vote Type: Yea-And-Nay

A motion to put aside this resolution.
R: N 216, nv 5
D: Y 201, P 1, nv 11

The vote on the resolution itself
Dec 07, 2023, 10:51 AM | 118th Congress, 1st Session
Vote Question: On Agreeing to the Resolution
Censuring Representative Jamaal Bowman
Vote Type: Yea-And-Nay

The vote:
R: Y 211, P 1, nv 8
D: Y 3, N 191, P 4, nv 15
Ttl: Y 214, N 191, P 5, nv 23

The three Democrats who voted to censure him: Jahana Hayes CT-05, Chris Pappas NH-01, Marie Gluesenkamp Perez WA-03

Bowman Remains Defiant After Vote to Censure Him - "House vote follows lawmaker already had been punished for fire alarm pull"
“I want to thank Democratic leadership and my countless other colleagues for standing up for me last night during the debate,” said Congressman Bowman. “Your words were so kind and I am always grateful to have you all by my side.

“I have expressed deep regret, apologized for my mistake, and taken accountability for my actions. I also went through the proper investigative processes with the Republican controlled House Committee on Ethics, which decided not to open a formal investigation,” he added in a statement. “I had hoped that we could devote our time and resources to doing our jobs and addressing the issues Americans care about."

“Americans desperately need us to act with urgency to address the high costs of healthcare, prevent gun violence, invest in education, and so much more, but my colleagues have made it explicitly clear that they would rather re-litigate already settled matters than do what we were sent here to do and legislate,” Bowman said. “This Republican House is unserious and unproductive, and I know that their efforts to target me are a testament to the importance of my voice in pushing back against their disingenuous rhetoric and harmful policies. I look forward to continuing to serve the people of New York’s 16th district and the country.”

It's happening again.

Government shutdown 2024: Lawmakers have to clear these 3 hurdles - 4:05 p.m. ET Jan. 10, 2024
There are 10 days until the country once again faces the possibility of a government shutdown because Congress failed to fund key agencies serving Americans.

Funding for agriculture, energy and water, military construction and veterans affairs, transportation and housing programs will expire on Jan. 19. The rest of the government’s funding expires on Feb. 2.

Setting an overall funding level is the first step to keeping the government open, but lawmakers will still have to agree on funding levels for each of twelve appropriations bills, work out policy disagreements and dodge political infighting if they hope to avoid a shutdown.

Passing full spending bills in Congress' timeframe will be tough. So much so that multiple members are asking to push the deadline once again.

Four hurdles. The fourth being the majority of the GOP in the US House need to understand "BURN IT DOWN!!!" isn't a viable government strategy for the nation and economy.

Shutdown Thanksgiving in '23...Any Bets? | Internet Infidels Discussion Board - on the previous shutdown brinkmanship

Jake Sherman on X: "OFFICIAL: ..." / X
OFFICIAL: @SpeakerJohnson's leadership lost a rule vote on the floor.

12 conservatives voted against the procedural measure, as a protest against Johnson's spending deal with @SenSchumer.

Vote was 203-216

The House, once again, is proving to be ungovernable.

Some broader perspective:
Scott Santens on X: "@JakeSherman @SpeakerJohnson @SenSchumer The incentives …" / X
The incentives are all fucked up thanks to winner-take-all elections and single-member districts exploitable by gerrymandering. Actually governing is seen as a sign of weakness to the extremists voting in closed primaries where getting a plurality wins.

State by state, we desperately need election reforms like Final Five nonpartisan primaries and ranked-choice general elections.
Better yet would be proportional representation.

Congresswoman Jasmine Crockett on X: "9 days until a government shutdown." / X - yesterday, as I write this, though that's true of only some of the Fed Gov.

Yasmine Mary, ARNP-FNP-C on X: "@RepJasmine I'm beginning to think that this is on purpose to tank the economy and blame Biden." / X

Original Cynn 😷 on X: "@yazzy1967 We've been running on continuing resolutions for as long as I can remember. It's shameful." / X

Jess blahblah on X: "@yazzy1967 @RepJasmine It absolutely is💯" / X

Can Congress reach a deal to avert a 2024 government shutdown?
The stopgap measure, which congressional leaders are expected to release Sunday, would extend funding until March 1 for the agencies potentially hit later this week. The deal would give lawmakers until March 8 to fund other agencies and services, according to multiple reports.
Another two months.
Johnson on Friday announced he wasn’t backing out of that deal, despite calls from ultraconservative lawmakers to make deeper spending cuts. The uproar came after a handful of conservative House Republicans voted last year to oust McCarthy from the speakership as he worked with Democrats to avoid a government shutdown.

Some of those right-wing lawmakers last week mulled introducing a motion to vacate, which would tee up a vote to oust Johnson, though others indicated the lawmakers weren't willing to take that step yet.
Again?

This is what the Speaker is up against.
Greene claims she threatened Johnson with motion to vacate over border deal | The Hill
“In my meeting with him yesterday and many other members of Congress, I let Speaker Johnson know that in no way shape and form will I support any type of [continuing resolution.],” Greene told former White House adviser Steve Bannon in an interview.

“I told him yesterday in his office that I would vacate the chair that that is absolutely unacceptable,” she added. “And we actually have the power of the first, we’re the ones that are in control and we need to control the negotiation. I reiterated those same points this morning so the ball is in his court.”

But is Speaker Johnson willing to make deals like this?
Democrats willing to help GOP Speaker save job — for a price | The Hill
“Just like I told McCarthy: Talk to Hakeem, and there are some of us that can support you,” said Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas), referring to former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who was booted from his leadership post last year at the hands of disgruntled conservatives.

“I’ll say the same thing [to Johnson].”
He is not alone.
“He would have to be more willing than Kevin McCarthy was to sit down with Hakeem Jeffries and have a conversation about what it would take for us to be helpful. Kevin said to pound sand. He didn’t want the help,” said Rep. Dan Kildee (D-Mich.).

“We wouldn’t be offering it as an act of charity,” Kildee continued. “We would say, ‘Look, if you need Democrats to govern, then you’re going to have to take Democratic input.’”

Funding Deal Reached, Race to Pass Congress by January 19 Deadline — FEDmanager
Congressional leaders reached a deal that could avoid a government shutdown for some agencies on this Friday, January 19, and avoid a shutdown for others on February 2. Now, Congress will race against the clock to get the legislation passed.

The deal, which was announced by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY), funds the government through March 1 for agencies facing a January 19 deadline, and March 8 for agencies facing a February 2 deadline.
House Freedom Caucus on government funding bill: ‘This is what surrender looks like’ | The Hill
noting
House Freedom Caucus on X: "The @HouseGOP is planning to pass a short-term spending bill continuing Pelosi levels with Biden policies, to buy time to pass longer-term spending bills at Pelosi levels with Biden policies.
This is what surrender looks like." / X

Congress passes stopgap bill to prevent a shutdown until March, sending it to Biden - "Congress passed a bill on Thursday that would prevent a partial government shutdown this weekend and keep federal funds flowing through March 1 and March 8."

About a month and a half from now. From how many votes, I was able to track down the bill and the votes on it.

H.R.2872 - 118th Congress (2023-2024): To amend the Permanent Electronic Duck Stamp Act of 2013 to allow the Secretary of the Interior to issue electronic stamps under such Act, and for other purposes. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Cloture Vote
D: Y 45, nv 3
R: Y 20, N 13, nv 13
I: Y 3
Ttl: Y 68, N 13, nv 19
What stupidity, this Taste-of-Armageddon filibuster.

Amendment Vote - "To limit foreign assistance to the Palestinian Authority or any other Palestinian governing entity in the West Bank and Gaza."
D: Y 1, N 47
R: Y 43, nv 6
I: N 3
Ttl: Y 44, N 50, nv 6
Joe Manchin was the only D to vote for that amendment.

Motion to recommit - to work on it some more, a common bit of last-minute obstruction
D: N 48
R: Y 13, N 31, nv 5
I: N 3
Ttl: Y 13, N 82, nv 5

Pass that bill?
D: Y 48
R: Y 26, N 18, nv 5
I: Y 3
Ttl: Y 77, N 18, nv 5
It passed the Senate.

Pass that bill?
D: Y 207, N 2, nv 4
R: Y 107, N 106, nv 7
Ttl: Y 304, N 108, nv 11
It passe the House.

I think that the success Democrats had in shutting down the House Republican shutdown performance artists was related to the fact that this is an election year. Not only do Republicans not want to have to justify a shutdown while campaigning, but their slim majority in the House is in real danger of being replaced by a slim Democratic majority for the next two years. Johnson, for all of his faults, has turned out to be a somewhat better Speaker than McCarthy in terms of negotiating with Democrats. Perhaps he is not as craven as McCarthy was. Part of Johnson's appetite for compromise is undoubtedly his realization that some Republicans prefer using lifeboats over going down with a sinking ship. Hopefully, a few of the rats will fall overboard and drown in the upcoming election.

Hardline US Republicans who cried 'wolf' side-lined by spending deal

Off topic, but I did not want to start another thread.
This could be worse than a shut down.
Interesting, because everyone always complains about “legislation from the bench”.
If I remember correctly, the folks who spend most of their time complaining about "legislation from the bench" and "activist judges" are most often Republicans. Yet to bring it around to the original topic, the far right of the GOP in the House is currently losing their collective minds over the fact that their far right choice to be Speaker has cut a deal with Democrats to keep the government running for a few months.

They complain about "legislating from the bench" but flatly refuse to do their job...legislating. It's an odd flex. They want to shut the government down, pass no legislation whatsoever, but then complain when the executive or judicial branches step in and do the necessary work to fill in the gaps they very deliberately left.

Back
Top Bottom