• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Harris Trump debate

While Linda Ronstadt isn't on the same level as Taylor Swift (anymore), her denouncement of Trump just hours before he held a rally at the Ronstadt Music Hall was very poignant and a little bit funny in context.

But he has undying support from his tireless INCEL defenders.
I guess the question comes down to whether we have more INCELS or Swifties.
"Incel" has become nothing but a sexist insult against anybody a particular poster dislikes.
It's really a slur at this point.
I reserve the use of the term “Incel” for single males who complain about not being able to get female company without having to pay money for it. I think it’s a contraction of “involuntarily celibate” though, which would probably exclude those who avoid celibacy by paying for sex. But hey - if the shoe fits and you like its color, go ahead and wear it.
I do tend not to like such people much, but it really depends on their other attributes. If they are apologists for multiple felonies and the people who commit them, I’m even more likely to disfavor them. If they try to rationalize such behavior with a hollow contention that they’re “furthering balance”, that really reeks. Smells like someone who would steal from anyone who has more cash than them, and declare it just.
But you’re not like any of that of course, so I wonder what you’re ACTUALLY complaining about.

While Linda Ronstadt isn't on the same level as Taylor Swift (anymore), her denouncement of Trump just hours before he held a rally at the Ronstadt Music Hall was very poignant and a little bit funny in context.
If the hall is a venue available for hiring and Trump's people did all the right things in obtaining its use then I am not sure what the fuss is all about. It may have her name. Does that give her rights of veto over who may hire it?

If the hall is a venue available for hiring and Trump's people did all the right things in obtaining its use then I am not sure what the fuss is all about. It may have her name. Does that give her rights of veto over who may hire it?
Did she actually “veto” it or just denounce it? Was the rally held there or did she stop it?

If it was then she’s just expressing her opinion and she has every right to do that.

We don't know the ins and outs of the naming deal that Ms. Ronstadt made with the venue, but I'd say she is well within her rights to speak out about what the building is being used for.

If I were the owners of the venue, I would have made sure that Trump paid in cash up front. The number of cities and venues (along with all the attendant security and operating costs) that have been stiffed by the Trump campaign is long. I suspect this is why he's no longer holding rallies at stadiums and arenas in large cities, and instead is doing events at fairgrounds and (sorry, Linda) small venues in Tucson.

You know it's bad when Fox is throwing in the towel.
I'm surprised they didn't frame it as black-on-white crime, which we libs supposedly don't care about. The whole nation saw a black woman beat the shit out of a mentally incapacitated Caucasian senior citizen a few nights ago. And it was all caught on camera.

In a completely self unaware moment by JD Vance, he said this:
“We admire Taylor Swift’s music, but I don’t think most Americans, whether they like her music, are fans of hers or not, are going to be influenced by a billionaire celebrity who I think is fundamentally disconnected from the interests and the problems of most Americans,”
What's more, why is JD Guyliner even in his current position?

The support of a billionaire. JD is as "disconnected from the interests and the problems of most Americans" as any Senator. His "hillbilly" background is questionable at best, and he is a tool of the elites. He got to where he is because of money, and if his recent performance is any indication, it has nothing to do with his innate political skills or charisma.

Swift was born to well-off parents, and they moved to Nashville to support her career, but unlike Vance - who went to Yale - she went to a much more competitive "school." The Nashville music scene. She earned a major label development deal as a teenager, and when that deal didn't work out she went back to writing songs and playing showcases around Music City. Talk to any aspiring country artists in Nashville if you want to know how tough that is. It was at one of these shows (which is basically an "audition" for record execs who may or may not wander in) that she impressed Scott Borchetta, who signed her as the first artist on his fledgling Big Machine Records. It wasn't because her parents had money or because she had connections. It was because of her talent. I know this because I've talked to Borchetta about what attracts him to the artists that he signs. It isn't "is her daddy well-off" or "what university did she attend."

He felt (rightly) that she was a talented songwriter and performer. But that's not always enough. I know people who've worked at Big Machine for years, and met many of the very talented acts that they signed. There's a long list of artists that were on Big Machine (and their subsidiary "imprint" labels) that never took off. Scott was big on Steel Magnolia, Kate & Kacey, Tucker Beathard, Emerson Drive, and a whole bunch of others I met that you've never heard of. It's not that they weren't good, but success in the music business is very hard. Swift has a couple of other things going for her. One, she is very smart. Talk to her for 5 minutes and it is obvious that she's a lot more than some kid who wrote some songs about a guy she liked in school. The other thing is that she's basically a marketing genius. There is no "billionaire behind the curtain" pulling the strings to make a talentless hack famous. She is very much in charge of her own image and career.

She isn't exactly a "dirt poor hillbilly who made it big." That'd be Dolly Parton. But Taylor is successful because of her talent and savvy, not because - like Vance - she had a venture capitalist backing her, or like Trump who inherited his daddy's real estate empire (and virulent racism). She understands the "American Dream" more than Spray Tan Man and Couch Boy ever could. I suspect she chose this time to endorse Harris precisely because she knew it would make the most impact.
Yup. My nephew's band has been "on the cusp" for about three years now. They had their last album recorded in Nashville by a Grammy winning producer so a lot of advantages a lot of other acts don't get. The switch just hasn't flipped yet and likely never will.

They're still the most popular rock band in mid-Michigan and definitely the most rewarded by our local arts and culture magazine. They are all extremely talented. But there's something more needed and no one actually can tell what that something is.

In a completely self unaware moment by JD Vance, he said this:
“We admire Taylor Swift’s music, but I don’t think most Americans, whether they like her music, are fans of hers or not, are going to be influenced by a billionaire celebrity who I think is fundamentally disconnected from the interests and the problems of most Americans,”
What's more, why is JD Guyliner even in his current position?

The support of a billionaire. JD is as "disconnected from the interests and the problems of most Americans" as any Senator. His "hillbilly" background is questionable at best, and he is a tool of the elites. He got to where he is because of money, and if his recent performance is any indication, it has nothing to do with his innate political skills or charisma.

Swift was born to well-off parents, and they moved to Nashville to support her career, but unlike Vance - who went to Yale - she went to a much more competitive "school." The Nashville music scene. She earned a major label development deal as a teenager, and when that deal didn't work out she went back to writing songs and playing showcases around Music City. Talk to any aspiring country artists in Nashville if you want to know how tough that is. It was at one of these shows (which is basically an "audition" for record execs who may or may not wander in) that she impressed Scott Borchetta, who signed her as the first artist on his fledgling Big Machine Records. It wasn't because her parents had money or because she had connections. It was because of her talent. I know this because I've talked to Borchetta about what attracts him to the artists that he signs. It isn't "is her daddy well-off" or "what university did she attend."

He felt (rightly) that she was a talented songwriter and performer. But that's not always enough. I know people who've worked at Big Machine for years, and met many of the very talented acts that they signed. There's a long list of artists that were on Big Machine (and their subsidiary "imprint" labels) that never took off. Scott was big on Steel Magnolia, Kate & Kacey, Tucker Beathard, Emerson Drive, and a whole bunch of others I met that you've never heard of. It's not that they weren't good, but success in the music business is very hard. Swift has a couple of other things going for her. One, she is very smart. Talk to her for 5 minutes and it is obvious that she's a lot more than some kid who wrote some songs about a guy she liked in school. The other thing is that she's basically a marketing genius. There is no "billionaire behind the curtain" pulling the strings to make a talentless hack famous. She is very much in charge of her own image and career.

She isn't exactly a "dirt poor hillbilly who made it big." That'd be Dolly Parton. But Taylor is successful because of her talent and savvy, not because - like Vance - she had a venture capitalist backing her, or like Trump who inherited his daddy's real estate empire (and virulent racism). She understands the "American Dream" more than Spray Tan Man and Couch Boy ever could. I suspect she chose this time to endorse Harris precisely because she knew it would make the most impact.
Yup. My nephew's band has been "on the cusp" for about three years now. They had their last album recorded in Nashville by a Grammy winning producer so a lot of advantages a lot of other acts don't get. The switch just hasn't flipped yet and likely never will.

They're still the most popular rock band in mid-Michigan and definitely the most rewarded by our local arts and culture magazine. They are all extremely talented. But there's something more needed and no one actually can tell what that something is.

And if someone could figure out what that something is...?

One of the guys I knew over at the label - he started as an intern and is now a VP - was super excited because they'd signed a "new" artist that was an already established rock act looking to make a country album. They put him on the "boutique" imprint, and threw money at the project. The best songwriters, the best players, video producers, you name it. Radio programmers (including my boss) were flown to Nashville to hear the tracks, and came back blown away. This was gonna be huge.

But when the lead single from Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler's country project was released? The audience went "...meh." I liked the song, but as I learned from decades in country radio, I am a terrible judge of what's going to be a hit.

But when the lead single from Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler's country project was released? The audience went "...meh." I liked the song, but as I learned from decades in country radio, I am a terrible judge of what's going to be a hit.
Did you see David Lee Roth's attempt at bluegrass? Talk about cringe.

You know it's bad when Fox is throwing in the towel.
I'm surprised they didn't frame it as black-on-white crime, which we libs supposedly don't care about. The whole nation saw a black woman beat the shit out of a mentally incapacitated Caucasian senior citizen a few nights ago. And it was all caught on camera.
To be fair, most of the damage was self-inflicted.

Where did Trump get those outlandish claims he made in the debate? Does he make them up himself or is he being fed a low-accuracy diet?

Where did Trump get those outlandish claims he made in the debate? Does he make them up himself or is he being fed a low-accuracy diet?
I've read that the Haitians eating pets thing was started by a neo nazi. No surprise there.

It's all straight out of the right wing gutter press. They read the tabloids, add some exaggerated details, and roll with it. Trump's failing memory doesn't help, as the version he manages to get into his speeches is so boiled down that no one could recognize it unless they were already following it. A sort of Alzheimer's shorthand of the weekly "news".

The idea that there were men in the world who could not find a woman, or whatever, to have sex with them, sounded like the pilot for a bad sitcom.
Why? It's not that easy for many men. Women generally can get laid if they want, but men face a much more difficult time with casual sex. On hookup aps like Tinder there is a marked discrepancy in how easy it is for women to get a reply vs. how difficult it is for men who are not in the top 10-20% of attractiveness.
I later learned it was actually whining raised to the level of a Zen art form.
Pointing out difficulties many men face is not "whining". It also illustrates why legal and destigmatized sex work is important for a society.

Last edited:
Not only that but if only a handful of people possess most of the wealth, who will buy their products??
Bezos has no problem selling his products to most Americans. And most of those are far more affordable and useful than a ticket for the Eras tour.
Musk's products are more exclusive, but even so many people can afford at least the cheaper Teslas.

A handful of people do not possess most of the money in in the US.

Back
Top Bottom