• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Harvey Weinstein scandal

I don't actually like most of his movies, so no great loss.

Anyone else notice that these allegations tend to involve older men and not younger men? I wonder if that's because younger men are actually less likely to do this sort of thing because society started changing before we realize, or if it's just the case that younger reprobates have had fewer opportunities to get caught.

Anyone else notice that these allegations tend to involve older men and not younger men? I wonder if that's because younger men are actually less likely to do this sort of thing because society started changing before we realize, or if it's just the case that younger reprobates have had fewer opportunities to get caught.

I'd like to think that society has been changing, and that this is why (1) you are not generally seeing reports against younger men, and (2) the women are feeling safer coming forward about it.

I also think a lot of this is a rebuke against Trump being elected in spite of his very long history of assaults against women.

That said, there is still far too much sexual assault by younger men, too. Look at the Steubenville High School rape case (and the reactions of the town defending what the football players did)

But is it? Aren't most of these allegations from when the stars were young? I also think I see a pattern that when the stars first become famous they have a couple of years of going a bit out of control with the flirting/transgressions, but soon get smarter about it. The Weinstein one, wasn't the worst offence in the early 80'ies?

It must be really difficult for anybody's ego to handle that much adoration. I think it's really unhealthy how our culture upholds celebrities and worships them. Especially actors. I mean... what do they do? they read lines written by other people, and pretend to know stuff. It's bizarre how that impresses people to the degree it does. Why are we more impressed by the guy reading the lines aloud than the person who wrote them? I find that baffling. Same deal with musicians. Ok, it's hard to play an instrument. But they're playing an instrument. They're making sounds on implements!!! How is that more impressive than almost any job out there? The worst is how we worship beauty. Because it's an essentialistic quality. They won the genetic lottery. They literally did nothing to achieve that fame, and are still adored for it. That cannot be healthy for a persons self image. None of these I mentioned are famous because of any strength of character. We have no reason to think that these people will be any better at handling fame than anybody else. We do nothing to prepare them for it. Politicians and stand up comedians, at least have to grind for years slowly climbing to fame. But for most of these they're virtually nobody's and then suddenly stars over night and everybody knows their names. How could anybody handle that?

If we play with the thought that these people respond to incentives. If everybody around them are happy just to be in their presence, and they're given constant praise and positive feedback, until they're hated in the global press and ostracized, then it's no wonder it warps their behavior.

I think the problem isn't necessarily these stars transgressions but our celebrity culture. How about going back to stars who actually deserve praise? Like scientists, writers, intellectuals and people who have actually done something useful, like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. I think people like that will be better to handle adoration. For one thing, they're smart. I think brains help.

barr.jpg

And she did. Roseanne was great.

Stallone categorically denies this. And he was fit as fuck back in the day. He had the hardest body in the universe. Why would he do it, when he had a free pick of any woman back in the day? Based on the story of his life he seems like a sensitive introvert. So a billion times less likely to do this sort of thing. I don't know him. So I'm just speculating freely. He also had a hard body. That means that he took care of himself. So, no drugs, and only healthy food. Discipline. So even less of a reason to think he would go rapey.

Your speculation just assumes that the allegation is true? There's such a massive unknown here that we have no reason to infer anything from it. At this point I'm getting increasingly sceptical of every new accusation.

Stallone categorically denies this. And he was fit as fuck back in the day. He had the hardest body in the universe. Why would he do it, when he had a free pick of any woman back in the day? Based on the story of his life he seems like a sensitive introvert. So a billion times less likely to do this sort of thing. I don't know him. So I'm just speculating freely. He also had a hard body. That means that he took care of himself. So, no drugs, and only healthy food. Discipline. So even less of a reason to think he would go rapey.

Your speculation just assumes that the allegation is true? There's such a massive unknown here that we have no reason to infer anything from it. At this point I'm getting increasingly sceptical of every new accusation.

Yep. I think we have a "lyin' lyer" on our hands here:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/20/sylvester-stallone-brigitte-nielsen-sexual-assault-rape/

Nielsen tells TMZ, "During the summer of 1986 we were newlyweds. I was inseparable with Sylvester when 'Over the Top' was being shot in Las Vegas. The story claims that at approximately 8:30 in the evening during the shoot of the movie the person claims she was in our suite at the Hilton Hotel."

Nielsen goes on to say, "This incident did not occur. Most of the day, I would watch him film, then we'd have dinner and go to our room. No other person was in the room with him, but me."

But as Underseer said, since he doesn't care for his movies, no great loss. Wrecking someone's reputation with false accusations and slander is OK if that person isn't your cup of tea, apparantly.

But as Underseer said, since he doesn't care for his movies, no great loss. Wrecking someone's reputation with false accusations and slander is OK if that person isn't your cup of tea, apparantly.

Also, just because someone doesn't have an alibi doesn't mean that they did it. A modern civilised country has to have greater demands on establishing what is true than this.

You are assuming that the only reason anyone would attempt to overpower another person, either by physical force or by use of undue influence and abuse of power is that they are too unattractive to attract enough willing partners without such antics.

This is patently false. For one thing, not every person will be attracted to or interested in sexual contact with someone because they are generally considered to be attractive. Or even extremely attractive to the person who is being pursued.

For another, the larger error is failure to recognize that some people, mostly, but not always, male people, use sex to assert their own personal power and dominance.

And then there is the fact that having a great deal of power and influence within a particular sphere is often confused with being allowed whatever whim crosses one's mind. And being confused with what is owed to a person with such power. Why not grab that breast? Aren't I entitled? Who will stop me? Isn't it expected that I can have whatever I want because I am (insert position of authority/influence)?

Any of the above apply as well to very attractive people as to those who are not.

We are hearing about all of these rich and famous men simply because they are rich and famous. In fact, sexual harassment and assault are pervasive throughout all cultures, I believe. Here is this, which I found very much on point. Perhaps some men might get it better if they can imagine themselves as the person on the receiving end of confusing attention from someone who is older, more established, more together (appearing) and perhaps more powerful from all of these. It's written by a gay man but it rings extremely true and very familiar to me, a straight woman:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lder-men-preyed-on-me/?utm_term=.6115881eba4c

Last edited:

What? Where do you get the idea that fitness has any correlation with harassment behavior?

Yeah, but you're poorly informed about the allegations.

Charlie Rose was having the time of his life and now he has to pretend he didn't enjoy himself.

Must be tough.

You are assuming that the only reason anyone would attempt to overpower another person, either by physical force or by use of undue influence and abuse of power is that they are too unattractive to attract enough willing partners without such antics.

This is patently false. For one thing, not every person will be attracted to or interested in sexual contact with someone because they are generally considered to be attractive. Or even extremely attractive to the person who is being pursued.

For another, the larger error is failure to recognize that some people, mostly, but not always, male people, use sex to assert their own personal power and dominance.

And then there is the fact that having a great deal of power and influence within a particular sphere is often confused with being allowed whatever whim crosses one's mind. And being confused with what is owed to a person with such power. Why not grab that breast? Aren't I entitled? Who will stop me? Isn't it expected that I can have whatever I want because I am (insert position of authority/influence)?

Any of the above apply as well to very attractive people as to those who are not.

We are hearing about all of these rich and famous men simply because they are rich and famous. In fact, sexual harassment and assault are pervasive throughout all cultures, I believe. Here is this, which I found very much on point. Perhaps some men might get it better if they can imagine themselves as the person on the receiving end of confusing attention from someone who is older, more established, more together (appearing) and perhaps more powerful from all of these. It's written by a gay man but it rings extremely true and very familiar to me, a straight woman:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lder-men-preyed-on-me/?utm_term=.6115881eba4c

You hit the nail on the head. It's about power. Why would a man who has all conceivable power in the world, do it?

My comment is in context. It assumes that you've also read the article. The "victims" story is not convincing.

Yeah, but you're poorly informed about the allegations.

So please enlighten us about the details that make the accusation convincing?

Back
Top Bottom