• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Harvey Weinstein scandal

I don't actually like most of his movies, so no great loss.

Anyone else notice that these allegations tend to involve older men and not younger men? I wonder if that's because younger men are actually less likely to do this sort of thing because society started changing before we realize, or if it's just the case that younger reprobates have had fewer opportunities to get caught.

Stallone categorically denies this. And he was fit as fuck back in the day. He had the hardest body in the universe. Why would he do it, when he had a free pick of any woman back in the day? Based on the story of his life he seems like a sensitive introvert. So a billion times less likely to do this sort of thing. I don't know him. So I'm just speculating freely. He also had a hard body. That means that he took care of himself. So, no drugs, and only healthy food. Discipline. So even less of a reason to think he would go rapey.

Your speculation just assumes that the allegation is true? There's such a massive unknown here that we have no reason to infer anything from it. At this point I'm getting increasingly sceptical of every new accusation.

Yeah, because a woman never refuses the advances of an attractive man, right?

Forgive me for interrupting your Rocky worship service, but Stallone's drug of choice is human growth hormones. All natural, I'm sure, but not really healthy.

I've been an attractive man for most of my life, and also possess above average charm and wit. I can assure you, this is not sufficient to guarantee the positive attention of every woman one meets. It's one of those eternal mysteries of nature, but some women don't find some attractive men to be attractive.

However, for myself, the number of women who did find me attractive was always at least one more than I needed at the moment. This can lead to problems, but that is another discussion. My particular situation has put in a position to have many conversations with women, and women generally don't mind talking about other men. (Charm and wit pro-tip: Do not discuss other women. Bad move.) Some attractive men feel their attractiveness grants them some kind of entitled attention from women. It's as if the woman should be grateful that a handsome buffed stud wants them. The "need to rape" meme, better known as the "no need to rape" defense is totally bogus.

I don't actually like most of his movies, so no great loss.

Anyone else notice that these allegations tend to involve older men and not younger men? I wonder if that's because younger men are actually less likely to do this sort of thing because society started changing before we realize, or if it's just the case that younger reprobates have had fewer opportunities to get caught.

Stallone categorically denies this. And he was fit as fuck back in the day. He had the hardest body in the universe. Why would he do it, when he had a free pick of any woman back in the day? Based on the story of his life he seems like a sensitive introvert. So a billion times less likely to do this sort of thing. I don't know him. So I'm just speculating freely. He also had a hard body. That means that he took care of himself. So, no drugs, and only healthy food. Discipline. So even less of a reason to think he would go rapey.

Your speculation just assumes that the allegation is true? There's such a massive unknown here that we have no reason to infer anything from it. At this point I'm getting increasingly sceptical of every new accusation.

Forgive me for interrupting your Rocky worship service, but Stallone's drug of choice is human growth hormones. All natural, I'm sure, but not really healthy.

I've been an attractive man for most of my life, and also possess above average charm and wit. I can assure you, this is not sufficient to guarantee the positive attention of every woman one meets. It's one of those eternal mysteries of nature, but some women don't find some attractive men to be attractive.

However, for myself, the number of women who did find me attractive was always at least one more than I needed at the moment. This can lead to problems, but that is another discussion. My particular situation has put in a position to have many conversations with women, and women generally don't mind talking about other men. (Charm and wit pro-tip: Do not discuss other women. Bad move.) Some attractive men feel their attractiveness grants them some kind of entitled attention from women. It's as if the woman should be grateful that a handsome buffed stud wants them. The "need to rape" meme, better known as the "no need to rape" defense is totally bogus.

You're missing the point. He wasn't just good looking. He was one of the world's most famous movie stars. Even moderately famous men can stop hitting on girls and just pick the girls who willingly come to them with shameful suggestions. Men like that are typically constantly mobbed by girls who want to fuck them. And this was the 80'ies, the apex of the muscled star worship culture. If he just was meeting a girl for sex, why would he bother wasting time on someone who he didn't know wasn't super into him?

Steroids just allows you to train more than you otherwise would. Steroids doesn't mean you need less discipline. Rather the opposite. Or you'll see little gains apart from a bloated gut.

I don't know who Charlie Rose is but this seems to be a big deal;

US TV host Charlie Rose has been fired by CBS News following sexual harassment allegations. An email to staff said the presenter's employment had been "terminated... effective immediately". It said the move followed the revelation of "extremely disturbing and intolerable behaviour" said to have taken place around his programme.

BBC

What made this silly old duffer think any of his victims would be at all attracted to him ?

You're missing the point. He wasn't just good looking. He was one of the world's most famous movie stars. Even moderately famous men can stop hitting on girls and just pick the girls who willingly come to them with shameful suggestions. Men like that are typically constantly mobbed by girls who want to fuck them. And this was the 80'ies, the apex of the muscled star worship culture. If he just was meeting a girl for sex, why would he bother wasting time on someone who he didn't know wasn't super into him?

Steroids just allows you to train more than you otherwise would. Steroids doesn't mean you need less discipline. Rather the opposite. Or you'll see little gains apart from a bloated gut.

Okay, now I see. Being a good looking most famous movie star means no woman can possibly resist his advances, and he certainly would never press the issue, because there would be seven women waiting in line to fuck him, if someone happened to say no.

Right.

Just like how being a disciplined and driven person means he would happily take no for an answer.

Sorry. I'm not buying the "so handsome no woman could resist him/so handsome he doesn't need to coerce a woman" thing, because it's not a thing.

Okay, now I see. Being a good looking most famous movie star means no woman can possibly resist his advances, and he certainly would never press the issue, because there would be seven women waiting in line to fuck him, if someone happened to say no.

Right.

Just like how being a disciplined and driven person means he would happily take no for an answer.

Sorry. I'm not buying the "so handsome no woman could resist him/so handsome he doesn't need to coerce a woman" thing, because it's not a thing.

Well said.

I've had a fair number of platonic friendships because I have no sisters. I freely admit that I see platonic friends as emotional substitutes for sisters. Anyway, I'm always surprised at the wide variety of preferences in physical traits, never mind preferences in non-physical traits or circumstances. No one man can possibly be attractive or desirable to all women (and I similarly doubt any one woman is desirable/attractive to all men, but that's a separate discussion).

But most importantly, no matter who you are, or what characteristics you have or what your circumstances, no one owes you sex nor even flirtatious attention.

Right.

Well said.

I've had a fair number of platonic friendships because I have no sisters. I freely admit that I see platonic friends as emotional substitutes for sisters. Anyway, I'm always surprised at the wide variety of preferences in physical traits, never mind preferences in non-physical traits or circumstances. No one man can possibly be attractive or desirable to all women (and I similarly doubt any one woman is desirable/attractive to all men, but that's a separate discussion).

But most importantly, no matter who you are, or what characteristics you have or what your circumstances, no one owes you sex nor even flirtatious attention.

One of the advantages of having an over sized ego is that I can happily walk away from any woman who doesn't appreciate me in the way I prefer. I remember getting second hand information that a woman said my shoulders were "just too big" and I "wear my pants too tight for my ass." Apparently she preferred skinny guys in baggy pants. Oh well. You can't win them all.

Right.

Well said.

One of the advantages of having an over sized ego is that I can happily walk away from any woman who doesn't appreciate me in the way I prefer. I remember getting second hand information that a woman said my shoulders were "just too big" and I "wear my pants too tight for my ass." Apparently she preferred skinny guys in baggy pants. Oh well. You can't win them all.

How odd. plenty of my platonic friends have physical preferences, but would gladly ignore them for the right guy who is right in non-physical ways.

One of my good friends had a physical preference for guys with those skinny rock star/heroin addict bodies, but her first husband was muscular and chubby. That marriage didn't work out, but not because of his physical appearance. He was abusive and extremely controlling. If not for that, she might still be married to the asshole.

Although he was not her physical body preference, she married him for purely non-physical reasons and divorced him for purely non-physical reasons.

Now headed out the door for hugging and stuff, John Lasseter from Pixar fame:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/business/media/john-lasseter-pixar-disney-leave.html

LOS ANGELES — One of the Walt Disney Company’s most important executives, the Pixar co-founder John Lasseter, said Tuesday that he would take “a six-month sabbatical” after unspecified “missteps” that made some staffers feel “disrespected or uncomfortable.”

Mr. Lasseter, 60, made the announcement in a lengthy email sent to employees at Disney’s animation division, which he leads as chief creative officer.

“I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape or form,” Mr. Lasseter wrote in the email, a copy of which was viewed by The New York Times. “No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.”

Goodbye Woody. Goodbye Buzz Lightyear. :wave2:

Right.

Just read what I'm writing instead of projecting this nonsense onto me. I never said any of that .

I'm not saying that no women could resist his advances. What I'm saying is that loads of sexy women would be trying damn hard to get to have sex with him. If all he wants is to have sex with a sexy woman, why waste his time on a woman he wasn't sure about? When 50 Cent was in Stockholm I know he had a queue system of girls standing in line outside his hotel room waiting for their turn. His crew had been very clear with these girls that they weren't there for talking. I know a girl who was a Marylin Manson fan. She told the same story. She was picked by one in his crew and given the opportunity to get fucked by him. She said yes. And ended up backstage in a group of sexy young girls who all were there in the hope that Marylin Manson would fuck them.

Even famous people know that rape is a crime. And famous people quickly learn that they've always got press crawling all over, ready to pounce when they smell a scandal. They have a lot to lose. So they tend to be overly cautious. Unless they do drugs. Which Stallone never has done. Everything I've ever read about Stallone suggests that he's a serious, no bullshit, highly disciplined and neurotic writer. That he's basically Woody Allen with muscles. He seems more the type who is consumed by guilt for making a social faux pas that only exists in his own head, than a man who actually makes them. At the time of the accusation he was newly married to Birgit Nielsen. At that point, the sexiest and most desirable woman in the world. Why waste his time with a 16 year old little girl?

Harvey Weinstein fits the bill for a serial rapist. Stallone so much doesn't.

I can think of an unintended backlash to #metoo.

I'm reading increasing articles about famous men who avoid being alone with women in rooms, and makes effort to avoid touching them. Perhaps an unintended result of #metoo is that business leadership goes back to being a boys club.

Right now innocent until proven guilty is right out the window. Now any accusation remotely plausible = instant guilt = destroyed career. This is going to have consequences. The demand is no longer to not rape or not sexually harass women. The demand now is that we mustn't put ourselves in a situation where such an accusation is possible. The only solution I can see is that men just stop interacting with women professionally, unless it's via that Internet. Where everything is on record and traceable.

I'm not saying that no women could resist his advances. What I'm saying is that loads of sexy women would be trying damn hard to get to have sex with him. If all he wants is to have sex with a sexy woman, why waste his time on a woman he wasn't sure about?
Because sexual assault is not just about having sex. It is about denying the option of consent to their victim... taking what they want without permission.

It is a type of theft... and even the wealthiest people can be kleptomaniacs.

I'm reading increasing articles about famous men who avoid being alone with women in rooms, and makes effort to avoid touching them. Perhaps an unintended result of #metoo is that business leadership goes back to being a boys club.

Right now innocent until proven guilty is right out the window. Now any accusation remotely plausible = instant guilt = destroyed career. This is going to have consequences. The demand is no longer to not rape or not sexually harass women. The demand now is that we mustn't put ourselves in a situation where such an accusation is possible. The only solution I can see is that men just stop interacting with women professionally, unless it's via that Internet. Where everything is on record and traceable.

That sounds to me like a big load of misogynistic horseshit - an excuse for these types of men want to do exactly what they are doing anyway - objectifying women while excluding them from positions of authority.

Say there is a heterosexual man having a certain amount of supervisory control who is not a harasser or molester. If he has to strategize with, seek the counsel or discipline a male underling he would not be so worried about doing do behind doors. With a woman this may give him pause. If a male with supervisory power had a pattern of only/mostly meeting one on one with men below him and not women (in that case at least another person as well) could that be considered discriminatory? In that case, what is the solution?

At my work they remodeled the HR a couple years ago. The entire office now is glass so you can see everyone inside. Maybe that should be the same for executive offices everywhere.

Right.

Just read what I'm writing instead of projecting this nonsense onto me. I never said any of that .

I'm not saying that no women could resist his advances. What I'm saying is that loads of sexy women would be trying damn hard to get to have sex with him. If all he wants is to have sex with a sexy woman, why waste his time on a woman he wasn't sure about? When 50 Cent was in Stockholm I know he had a queue system of girls standing in line outside his hotel room waiting for their turn. His crew had been very clear with these girls that they weren't there for talking. I know a girl who was a Marylin Manson fan. She told the same story. She was picked by one in his crew and given the opportunity to get fucked by him. She said yes. And ended up backstage in a group of sexy young girls who all were there in the hope that Marylin Manson would fuck them.

Even famous people know that rape is a crime. And famous people quickly learn that they've always got press crawling all over, ready to pounce when they smell a scandal. They have a lot to lose. So they tend to be overly cautious. Unless they do drugs. Which Stallone never has done. Everything I've ever read about Stallone suggests that he's a serious, no bullshit, highly disciplined and neurotic writer. That he's basically Woody Allen with muscles. He seems more the type who is consumed by guilt for making a social faux pas that only exists in his own head, than a man who actually makes them. At the time of the accusation he was newly married to Birgit Nielsen. At that point, the sexiest and most desirable woman in the world. Why waste his time with a 16 year old little girl?

You may have never said it, but you do repeat yourself. Your ideas of human sexuality are quite skewed.

Well said.

How odd. plenty of my platonic friends have physical preferences, but would gladly ignore them for the right guy who is right in non-physical ways.

One of my good friends had a physical preference for guys with those skinny rock star/heroin addict bodies, but her first husband was muscular and chubby. That marriage didn't work out, but not because of his physical appearance. He was abusive and extremely controlling. If not for that, she might still be married to the asshole.

Although he was not her physical body preference, she married him for purely non-physical reasons and divorced him for purely non-physical reasons.

The ability to overlook the physical is one of the many things I like about women.

That sounds to me like a big load of misogynistic horseshit - an excuse for these types of men want to do exactly what they are doing anyway - objectifying women while excluding them from positions of authority.

So you don't see a problem with #metoo? I hope you have noticed how accusations in this thread have been posted as if true? So we already know it's not bullshit, just based on the behaviour on this forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Right.

You may have never said it, but you do repeat yourself. Your ideas of human sexuality are quite skewed.

I'm just saying things that I thought should be fucking obvious to anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMi0UtvTIc

Here's a good talk related to #metoo

Well said.

Yes. I always preferred dark hair/dark eyes, no beard/mustache, and was agnostic about body type, actually. Married a blue eyed man with light brown hair and very fair skin but a huge bushy beard and mustache. I think I had only ever actually dated one person with blue eyes before and no one with facial hair....

I won't say that I married him for non-physical reasons. The attraction was pretty hot but not really aesthetics based.

I'm not saying that no women could resist his advances. What I'm saying is that loads of sexy women would be trying damn hard to get to have sex with him. If all he wants is to have sex with a sexy woman, why waste his time on a woman he wasn't sure about?
Because sexual assault is not just about having sex. It is about denying the option of consent to their victim... taking what they want without permission.

It is a type of theft... and even the wealthiest people can be kleptomaniacs.

And, imo, it's also at least sometimes about not having to consider for even a millisecond what the other person wants, needs or feels. Or that they feel. Sure, there are sadistic bastards who get off on invoking terror and pain, but I think plenty of date rapey guys just don't give a rat's ass about the other person. At all. Which, I think is also the appeal of those who visit prostitutes, at least for some.

Back
Top Bottom