• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Henry Kissinger Dead

I've never seen why people give him credit for... anything, really. He did not set out to make peace with North Vietnam, we just lost the war. He negotiated a peace plan that did not favor us or our doomed allies, and which wasn't honored anyway. And for this he gets the Nobel?
The Nobel Peace prize is based upon the most opaque human optimism possible.

I have no idea who that is.
I keep forgetting that you are from the land down under (where women glow and men plunder), and are not familiar with our ways and our presidents. :tonguea:
I barely recognized him myself. He looked like death warmed over. Much worse off than the last picture I saw of him from maybe a couple of years ago.

I've never seen why people give him credit for... anything, really. He did not set out to make peace with North Vietnam, we just lost the war. He negotiated a peace plan that did not favor us or our doomed allies, and which wasn't honored anyway. And for this he gets the Nobel?

Back when I was a kid, I thought the Nobel was a big deal. Over time, I stopped considering it such.

Kinda the end of my appreciation was when they gave a Nobel to Obama. Apparently he got it for getting elected, despite not being a Bush or a Clinton.
Weak praise.
To be charitable about it.
Tom

Kinda the end of my appreciation was when they gave a Nobel to Obama.
For me it was when the Palestinian terrorist leader Yasser "Miserable Cunt" Arafat got it in 1994.
So I got disillusioned with it quite early in life.
The economics prize, despite not being an official Nobel Prize, has far more legitimacy.

A lot of really well off people made a lot more money from the things Kissinger did. That's why the elites praised him.

I think the Peace Prize is there to drive interest in the other categories and generally increase the status of the award. But they sure misfire, sometimes.

It seems that the old proverb is shown once again to be true: Only the good die young.
0_US-POLITICS-FUNERAL-ROSALYNN-CARTER.jpg
I have no idea who that is.
Jimmy Carter
Wow. He looks old.

I don't think I have seen a picture of him since he was President.
We have often seen him on the television over the years, equal odds whether it is a story about his work with Habitat for Humanity, or a preemptive prediction of his incipient demise every time he visits a hospital. He is sort of like our local version of Elizabeth II. Like we love him, but the number one topic of conversation about him is his mortality.

My response to the thread title?

Good. About 60 years too late but good.
Given American attitudes and priorities of the day, it's also quite possible that someone even worse would have done the job Americans wanted done.

I see Kissinger as more of a scapegoat than a super villian. He couldn't have done what he did if "We the People" hadn't elected his taskmasters.
Tom

He's been retired so long that you now have to be a history buff or have lived through his era to have an opinion. It would be like button-holing someone in Kissinger's government days and asking what they thought of Henry L. Stimson (one of Hoover's Secys. of State.)
I can't get out of my head this moment from an old SNL skit on The View.
Molly Shannon (as Meredith Vieira): Now, Barbara, what were you doing when Nixon resigned?
Cheri Oteri (as Barbara Walters) (with lusty enthusiasm): I was in a hot tub with Henry Kissinger and Juliet Prowse! We speculated about our nation's future...listened to some Harry Chapin...and made sweet love 'til the mornin' sun!

My response to the thread title?

Good. About 60 years too late but good.
Given American attitudes and priorities of the day, it's also quite possible that someone even worse would have done the job Americans wanted done.

I see Kissinger as more of a scapegoat than a super villian. He couldn't have done what he did if "We the People" hadn't elected his taskmasters.
Tom
What the hell kind of an argument is that? You could say the same about any elected official and any official action they take.

Back
Top Bottom