• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

So, Hungary said they will block all EU gas-oil relatated sanctions, so EU should not even bother trying. I personally think Russia should have cut all gas-oil the moment EU sent the first military help to nazi regime in Kiev. But apparently that would not be kosher legally speaking. Business is über alles.

Did someone pour coffee over Barbo's motherboard? He's becoming more and more incoherent.
More incoherent than the "leader" of the "Free" World?

or this guy:

Some wondered about white powder on the desk. Experts in the field say it can't be cocaine, because they actually don't do it that way. But nobody knows what it was.

Did someone pour coffee over Barbo's motherboard? He's becoming more and more incoherent.

or this guy:

Some wondered about white powder on the desk. Experts in the field say it can't be cocaine, because they actually don't do it that way. But nobody knows what it was.

Pretty remarkable that Zelensky and his people were able to beat the mighty Russian military in Kyiv. Against incredible odds. It always warms my heart when bullys are beaten back!

Here's a wild radical thought that seems to have received too little attention.

Maybe neither side are the "good guys."
So true. In our eagerness to support Ukraine's resistance to being invaded and annexed by Russia we wilfully ignore the simultaneous invasion and annexation of Russia by Ukraine. We really need to take a more balanced view when looking at both sides. We can do that by supporting Russia, whose capital is currently surrounded and beleaguered by Ukrainian tanks, and protesting against the mass killing of Moscow's civilian population
After you have finished defeating the strawman, go ahead and take a victory lap.
Jason: if you don't like people "strawmanning" you, then stop being so vague and state your position.
Libertarian Exclusion Principle states you can't both know if someone is a Libertarian and their position on something, at the same time.
Libertarian Exclusion Principle states that if you think a libertarian is wrong then his position is whatever you say it is and his actual position is excluded.
You just aren't as good at this as others. The point is, you never explain your position. You make vague posts, at best... and then whine when people can't decipher your vagueness.

Everyone has a slightly different opinion on how to deal with the Ukraine situation. It depends on one's degree of empathy and selfishness. I want a free, democratic Ukraine. If I allow the Orange Hitler or the Russian Hitler to have his way that won't happen. Libertarian Utopia is big on authoritarianism. The problem is that the authority always comes from myself, not the group. Democratic republics solve the problem by voting for representatives. I don't know how libertarians solve their problem except my hacking each other to pieces until the problem is solved or by fantasizing. Show me some libertarian perfection out there in the real world and maybe I'll learn something.

Meanwhile back in Ukraine I read reports of fighting outside Ukraine, in Russia. Very nice. I'd like to see some long range missile strikes occur deep inside Russia against military targets. Bomb the fuckers.
Trump gave us a severe stress test as to how gar our political and justice system could be corrupted by a president.

Ukraine in terms of American enlightened self interest is stress test for North American and European liberal democracy. Going back 200 yearss the questionwas whehter or not self rule and democratic processes could mobilize to challenges and threats without authoritarian rulers.

IMO Ukraine is a test as to whether or not Europe can rise above national interests without an exteme threat like an actual invasion. If Europe gets cowed by dependence on Russian energy then in the long run Russia wins.
Why did de Gaulle leave NATO?

In 1966 due to souring relations between Washington and Paris because of the refusal to integrate France's nuclear deterrent with other North Atlantic powers, or accept any collective form of control over its armed forces, the French president Charles de Gaulle downgraded France's membership in NATO and withdrew France ...

If NATO and the EU fold in the long run Chinese and Russian authoritarianism dominates. We had a taste of it with Trump.

So, I'm confused on the Ukraine situation. Russia was re-amassing forces to the east, in what I thought would be a move to take control of the East half of Ukraine. Was the sinking of their support ship that debilitating to these efforts? Because, as far as I can tell, Russia hasn't made much of any additional progress in the East to speak of. I was figuring we should have been about the point Russia asks for peace, having conquered Eastern Ukraine. But that point looks almost impossible at this point, without Russia stepping up the technological side of things.

Satellite image Company put fake image out for public, but NATO countries, of course, have real ones.
Yawn. No references, just vomiting up more Pootler propaganda.
In other news evacuated civilians say there is a general among mercenaries at AziovSteel.
A Russian General? So what? They're all mercenaries anyhow. That's why Pootey doesn't care that they're getting rubbed out one after another.

So, I'm confused on the Ukraine situation. Russia was re-amassing forces to the east, in what I thought would be a move to take control of the East half of Ukraine. Was the sinking of their support ship that debilitating to these efforts? Because, as far as I can tell, Russia hasn't made much of any additional progress in the East to speak of. I was figuring we should have been about the point Russia asks for peace, having conquered Eastern Ukraine. But that point looks almost impossible at this point, without Russia stepping up the technological side of things.
The Russian troops from the assault on Kyiv? The ones who never wanted to fight in the first place and got pretty well tore up? We're probably witnessing this re-amassed assault from the East now. Also, they may have had to spread them along the various battles from Kharkiv to Kherson.

"Odesa's port is closed, cutting off one of the world's largest exporters of food. Ukraine, the size of Texas, is number four in corn and wheat, number one in sunflower oil. David Beasley, executive director of the U.N.'s World Food Programme, said half the wheat the WFP needs worldwide is stuck in Ukraine.

"Ukraine is the breadbasket of the world. They grow enough food to feed 400 million people. Well, that's gone," Beasley told 60 Minutes this week. "You're already seeing fuel pricing spike, food pricing spike, cost of shipping spiking. It's already creating havoc for the poorest of the poor around the world. But this is gonna affect not just the poorest of the poor. It's gonna affect everybody."

The loss of that Ukrainian breadbasket may be felt around the world for years according to Arif Husein the WFP's chief economist.

Here's a wild radical thought that seems to have received too little attention.

Maybe neither side are the "good guys."
So true. In our eagerness to support Ukraine's resistance to being invaded and annexed by Russia we wilfully ignore the simultaneous invasion and annexation of Russia by Ukraine. We really need to take a more balanced view when looking at both sides. We can do that by supporting Russia, whose capital is currently surrounded and beleaguered by Ukrainian tanks, and protesting against the mass killing of Moscow's civilian population
After you have finished defeating the strawman, go ahead and take a victory lap.
Jason: if you don't like people "strawmanning" you, then stop being so vague and state your position.
Libertarian Exclusion Principle states you can't both know if someone is a Libertarian and their position on something, at the same time.
Libertarian Exclusion Principle states that if you think a libertarian is wrong then his position is whatever you say it is and his actual position is excluded.
You just aren't as good at this as others. The point is, you never explain your position. You make vague posts, at best... and then whine when people can't decipher your vagueness.
No, I think I've caught him several times now whining when people DO decipher the vagueness because "jason didn't directly say it and so can't be accused of meaning the thing that was read from between the lines"

"jason didn't directly say it and so can't be accused of meaning the thing that was read from between the lines"

Libberpublican weaseling requires that level of forthright expression. :rofl:

"jason didn't directly say it and so can't be accused of meaning the thing that was read from between the lines"

Libberpublican weaseling requires that level of forthright expression. :rofl:
Well, the point is, you can absolutely nail jello to the wall, assuming you use a bucket.

or this guy:

Pretty remarkable that Zelensky and his people were able to beat the mighty Russian military in Kyiv. Against incredible odds. It always warms my heart when bullys are beaten back!

They did not beat anyone. Russians forces near Kiev simply left.
And before you ask, no, there was never any plans to actually attack Kiev.
I already talked about that. Well, parroted US military experts who said there was not enough forces to even dream actual attack on Kiev, that was nothing but a diversion.

So, back to the topic. Do you honestly think Zele is fine in that video? really?

or this guy:

What is funny is that Zelensky has masterfully controlled the narrative on this. Being a comedian, he is gifted in communication, and he has shown the ability to continue to keep the world engaged. Putin might be winning the propaganda war in Russia, but he generally isn't outside of Russia.

And, there is also the good ole fashioned, make your opponent's leader look like an idiot, incapable of leading... all the while the Russian military has been incapable of overthrowing the idiot, where about the only gains made by Russia have been from shelling from abroad or at sea... until that boat got too wet.

What is funny is that Zelensky has masterfully controlled the narrative on this. Being a comedian, he is gifted in communication, and he has shown the ability to continue to keep the world engaged. Putin might be winning the propaganda war in Russia, but he generally isn't outside of Russia.
Not surprising, considering that russian media is not allowed anywhere now.
Which by the way begs the question, what are you so afraid of?
As a russian speaker I find that Ze the clown (and he IS a clown) a bit too clownish for a leader. But in that video there is clearly more going on than his inner clown.
As for Putin, he actually never had a chance. He was labelled a KGB agent on the day one. I clearly remember it. We were driving to a club with other american student and she asked me about Putin. My english was not so good and she really butchered his last name. I said "what? who?" It took a while for me to get what she was asking.

So yeah, the only thing she was concerned about was KGB thing. So no, he never had a chance.

Ze is a conscious effort on the part of western Media. And he looks like he is on drugs in a lot of videos.

Back
Top Bottom